Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:22:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Amusing guncam of 88 killing A13 with new damage modeling 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amusing guncam of 88 killing A13 with new damage modeling  (Read 3994 times)
Comstar
Terracotta Army

on: April 20, 2004, 12:06:12 AM

Hope it's not too large download.

WW2OL has fiannly introduced turrents flying off tanks when the ammunation goes off.

KABLOOIE

That's an 88 firing at long range at what I think WAS an A13.  All the ground vechiles now explode, and you can see tracks blown off. Wheels on trucks spin off into the distance in the best hollywood car chase tradition.

The new TREES and beams and 3D bushlines (careful, that thread will being 56kers to thier knees, I think non subscribers can view it) have made the countryside equal to any other current MMOG, and apart from the grass, nearly equal to a lot of single player FPS's. ALl the trees have been speedtree'd. ALL the forests have been replaced with 33D trees and you can now walk (and drive slowly) through them. It's possible to hide 88's in the forest clusters near towns and be invisable from an infantryman 3 feet away. ALl treelines now have beams, ditches (yes, you CAN flip a 20 ton tank in them if you're not careful) and near-trenches. It's all random too, so no 2 treelines or forests look alike.

This all comes at a cost of FPS, to greater and lesser degrees. The amout of triangles has increased by a factor of 4, so the min requirments are now  1GZ, 512meg, Late Model Geforce IV (my FX5200 is right on the line). The prefered set up is a 2GZ+, 512-1Meg RAM and a video card costing 150+ US.  It's well worth it, the trees look nice.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 03:20:39 AM

We actually had to get the SpeedTree folks to implement horizontal billboards, for forests from the air.  I think the new trees rock, but I'm still not satisfied with the color palette.

Bruce
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 09:20:38 AM

Wow...that is pretty cool. If I ever bother to get my USB ports unfucked (so I can use my joystick again) or if/when I upgrade, I will likely give WWIIOL another whirl. Is the Axis still running roughshod over the Allies?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 07:30:55 PM

Actually, despite all the whining in playschool...no.

2 Campains ago, the allies won after 9 Weeks. The AHC officer core and player base was a bi tired after that effot, so a German offensive aimed at the complete annailation of the BEF was able to wipe out every BEF town on the mainland in 2 weeks. The French flank then being left wide open fell after another week. This campgain has been going 2 weeks or so, with an allid advance, but the issue is still very much in doubt.  The BEF JUST took Breda last night, and the French just lost Luxemborg the day before (though they do own Bertix, they are having a lot of problems trying to get near Wiltz).

For the last 8 campains, I think it's 4-4. The axis won 2 campains in a row at one point but lose the next one. Average campain time seems to be about 2-3 months.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 07:34:55 AM

I have been thinking about the game on and off, but I am just so fucking tired of ww2 games.  Too fucking many of them and I played too many.  I think I have enough in me for a lifetime.  Plus it would only be for the free month anyway.  Paying for too many online games already and just canceled planetside for the upcoming CoH.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 07:35:18 AM

So, taken altogether, would you describe WW2OL as a simmy, historical Planetside?  Just trying to get a frame of reference.  I bought the game at release but quickly uninstalled it for the obvious reasons.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 07:51:05 AM

Yes, a simmy historical planetside is accuratish. WW2OL now has FAR better terrian (IMNSHO) though, beams and ditches and forests everywhere.  Planetside has an advantage that it's very much a FPS, and has abilities like tthe ability to get in out of pilotable vechiles than WW2OL dosn't. WW2OL has ONE zonez and unlike PS every town and village is different (and now, every treeline and forest is randomly different too).  

If you're tired of WW2 FPS's, I don't think you'll be able to play any FPS expcet for Duke Nukem 3D and Half Life 2 (ok, and Doom 3) for the next 20 years :D. Even Farcry had WW2 Japanese Bunkers!

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 08:16:45 AM

Farcry was a WW2 game?  Could have fooled me.  I could have sworn that I was fighting genetic mutant apes at some point, but maybe I was high on some glue and they were really nazis.  Going from "IT HAS BUNKERS!" to yet another WW2 game is a fucking monumental streatch.

There are still a lot more non-ww2 fps games than there are ww2 ones.  The ww2 ones are just currently disproportionate, but still a minority.

And other than duke nukem, you pretty much named the only fps games I am looking forward to, yeah.  Except I am only mildly interested in doom 3.  It will just be a tech demo and frankly I think HL2 looks better anyway.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 09:06:28 AM

I agree, Doom3 will be a tech demo.

HF2 looks like they needed to fundermently rework it. They realesed all those cool movied, what nearly a year ago? Something must have been seriously wrong (and no I don't blame the "hacked". That's just an exsuce thier PR deparment used) with the gameplay.

Or they releiased than making a game that NO PC on the planet could run, was perhaps a bit foolish, and decided to avoid the Falcon 4.0 on a PII 200 syndrome.  Now video cards are fiannly comeing out campable of running it.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 09:57:08 AM

Same thing happened with HL1 except they were less vocal about their release date.

I remember seeing HL1 at gencon in motion two years before it was released.  At that time the people there said it would be out in the spring.  Hell, the thing was playable.  They didn't let ME play it, but I was inches from the guy showing it off to a small crowd on the 1 monitor they had realtime (others were looping a demo reel) They were already showing off the AI for the tentacle monster and the marines.  Game looked ready to go.  But it took them two years after that to release it.  When they DID release it I can see that the levels I remember seeing had been completely redone and were much cooler.

I don't think anything different has happened here.  Just took a lot longer to add in all the content is my guess.  Supposedly all that was left with HL1 was the content and levels.  The creative stuff.  That stuff takes time and can't be rushed if you want quality.  Most loved the end product.  Some didn't, but most that didn't like it that I have spoken to are more negative about the rave reviews it got than the actualy game being bad.
Ezdaar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 10:17:19 AM

Unfortunately I would advise the vast majority of you to stay away from WWIIOL until the infantry game is up to snuff. Infantry is the only unit you can just jump in and play with, but as it is now it feels very blocky and unfinished. The vehicles are absolutely superb, but they're simulator++. I don't mean Novalogic Comanche simulator, but Steel Beasts or IL-2 simulator. Granted if you want to learn that sort of stuff it's a lot of fun, but don't expect to jump in a tank and go trundling down the road lobbing shells at things BF1942 style and forget about planes if you don't have a decent HOTAS setup.

Having said all that I don't know of any game that can hold my attention as well as WWIIOL. It's been the only thing I've stayed subscribed to since it was released. The Rats seem to genuinely care about the game and are very active in the community. Once you get past the forum whiners the players are generally helpful and friendly. This is definitely a niche game and I'm glad someone took the risk and made it.

Oh yeah, the new trees are awesome. Some of you may be familiar with SpeedTree, which is what they're using.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Amusing guncam of 88 killing A13 with new damage modeling  
Jump to: