Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:48:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So how bout them Yankees 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So how bout them Yankees  (Read 17992 times)
Boogaleeboo
Delinquents

on: April 16, 2004, 08:19:53 PM

Hey Joe?
Madman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 08:29:11 PM

Yeah, but the Cubs came back from 5 runs down to win the game! Hell the Cubs came back twice in that game! It was awesome!

Screw the Yankees! Since the Cubs are a National League team I can say this: GO RED SOX GO!

But seriously, GO CUBS GO!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 10:57:52 PM

That's the funny thing about Red Sox fans, they cheer like crazy on strike one of a game in April, but give on their team when the score is tied in extra innings of the ALCS.

Red Sox motto:

"You have the rings, but we have, um, a strike in a game in April!"

---

Of course, this thread from the person who thinks the Red Sox won the ALCS last year...winners win, losers make excuses...

"If only they had taken Pedro out...if only this, if only that..."

The Red Sox were only even in the ALCS because the As choked again.

That's the great thing about sports, there are clear winners and losers. What if scenarios don't matter. Time and time again, the Red Sox are the clear losers...the fact that they won in your imaginary scenario doesn't really matter now does it?

Enjoy your April win and savor it for years to come suckers...

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Boogaleeboo
Delinquents

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 01:43:34 AM

I have absolutely no idea what the fuck you just said in that rambling, incoherent ejaculation of meaningless English. And I'm pretty sure there are others confused. So to restate:

Red Sox 6
Yankees 2

Oh, I think I noticed a point.

That's the great thing about sports, there are clear winners and losers. What if scenarios don't matter. Time and time again, the Red Sox are the clear losers...the fact that they won in your imaginary scenario doesn't really matter now does it?

Funny story. We lost to the Yankees. The Yankees on the other hand lost to the Marlins. As they say, second place is just first loser. I can take with grace and humility third place in the face of that. The only people that have a right to talk big would be the Marlins. Of course that would be LAST year now wouldn't it?

What about this year?

Oh. Yeah.

Red Sox 6
Yankees 2

Hahahahhahahhaha
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 02:39:22 AM

Let me make it simple for you:

Red Sox - constant losers.
Yankees - constant (as constant as baseball gets) winners.

Red Sox fans - get excited when their team wins in April.
Yankees fan - get excited when their team wins in October.

It's nice that one April game is the season to you. I guess for the Red Sox that's as good as it gets.

New Red Sox motto:

"Hey, we lost, but at least we didn't come in second either!"

It's just funny to contrast... Yankee fans are upset cause they haven't won the WS in a few years, Boston fans are joyous cause they won a single game in April. Low expectations are easy to live up to no?

I hear the Red Sox won a few spring training games as well...roll out the red carpet!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Boogaleeboo
Delinquents

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 01:33:40 PM

Red Sox 6
Yankees 2

When you keep saying "Constant losers" it doesn't make me feel bad. It makes me feel happy. Because then of course the question becomes how badly must the Yankees suck to lose 6 2 to a bunch of constant losers?

That's just me and my logic talking again.

You go cry into your Cheerios now like a good loser though.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 03:29:40 PM

Boston, get over yourself.  It's a 162 game season.  One game in April, even a series, is almost meaningless.  Hell, the Red Sox have even beaten the Yankess in the standings at the end of the year a few times.

But there's only one score that REALLY matters, since 1918:

Yankees 26
Red Sox 0

Bruce

PS - October 25, 1986
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 04:16:49 PM

Quote from: Boogaleeboo

When you keep saying "Constant losers" it doesn't make me feel bad. It makes me feel happy. Because then of course the question becomes how badly must the Yankees suck to lose 6 2 to a bunch of constant losers?

You obviously have a very good grasp of sports and baseball in particular.

What next, is some Orioles fan going to post about how they beat the Sox 2 days ago?

You are obviously a stupid troll, but we all already knew that. I'm done with this thread, see you next April.

Edit: Go Celtics!

Boogaleeboo
Delinquents

Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 08:18:12 PM

Yankees 26
Red Sox 0

That stopped them losing to the Marlins how?

And it won them the last game how?

The past, the present. Either way?

You still lose.

I'll be giggling like a school girl in the corner now. The great part is when Boston fucks up and loses it big time I won't be shocked. And at the same time I get to take every win as a gift from God.

It's great being a Red Sox fan.
Madman
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004, 08:27:40 PM

I am gonna have to side with Boog in this whole arguement. Maybe it is just because I am a diehard Cubs fan and we do the same thing as Red Sox fans.

You gloat when you win over your rival, it doesn't matter when it happens and it certainly doesn't matter what happens at the end of the year.

As a Cubs fan, we can lose every game but those against the Astros, Cardinals and White Sox (hurray interleague play) and we will laugh all winter long.
Boogaleeboo
Delinquents

Reply #10 on: April 17, 2004, 09:36:27 PM

And just because it hasn't been mentioned.

Boston 5
Yankees 2

See, now I'm not harping on one game in April.

I'm harping on two. Grats on not fucking up as much this game. You fucked up a totally normal amount for a losing team.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2004, 11:49:10 PM

Can we lay off the baseball talk until the second or third month of the stupid season?  Of all the things I dislike about baseball, shit talking this early is way up on the list.

The fact that the Yankees are playing the Red Sox and the Mets for a combined 150 games this season pisses me off too.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 02:44:06 AM

You can be as happy as you want in April.  It warms my heart to know that you are all giggly with happiness, because that just means your spirit will be crushed all the more come the fall and the Curse kicks in.  When will Red Sox fans ever learn?  And people say I've had to many chances...

Bruce
Boogaleeboo
Delinquents

Reply #13 on: April 18, 2004, 03:19:26 AM

It took till game seven in the world series last year.

Yeah, I think I can gloat for that long and get a good seasons worth of gloating done.

And if it's like last year I can watch the Yankees lose and get some extra gloating in at the end.

Like I said, win/win.

I wouldn't even be gloating so much if the Yankees could put a game together. Yeah yeah, it's April. You still need to actually pull your shit together to say matter in September.
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 18, 2004, 04:25:45 AM

I mentioned this elsewhere. The Red Sox beat the Yankees a lot in April. Then the Yankees get hot in late May/Early June and beat the shit out of the Red Sox in July and August. This is how it has been, and how it always shall be.

And when Schilling's arm falls off in June, I want to make sure people remember I called it.

And the Series went six games last year, southie.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 18, 2004, 04:40:30 AM

no
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 18, 2004, 02:14:28 PM

Derek Lowe thew some nice batting practice today.

SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 18, 2004, 03:46:59 PM

Is Boog a Boston native?  Is he still in his 20s?  He sounds like one of those young Red Sox fans who has no idea what his father has gotten him into.  A mature Red Sox fan knows he's going to get crushed.  He accepts it.  He may get swept up in the anticipation early in the season, but he doesn't gloat, because he knows he is just tempting fate.

Many if Boog lives through a few more crushing World Series defeats, he'll learn.

Bruce
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 18, 2004, 06:20:38 PM

no
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 18, 2004, 08:52:02 PM

The Astros are a decent team in a mediocre division. With Prior out for a while I think you have to give them a good shot at the division title. I don't follow the NL too much, but it seems like every NL team has their share of flaws.
---
As far as Boog goes...he's just a troll. He's not a Red Sox fan or a baseball fan or anything...just a troll trying to pick some topic he thinks will rile people up. Next week he'll move on to some other topic he knows nothing about.

Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 19, 2004, 12:34:10 AM

Quote from: Kenrick
Damn it, I worked really hard finding those astros pictures!  At least someone should comment on it, even if it is how ghey I am or how much the astros suXXor.

But seriously.

See you in October.

Fools.

I was gonna comment on Pettite probably needing Tommy John surgery, and make some born again Christian joke, but I figured it's been done by better people.

Also, I miss Mr. Clemens. It's a sad day when BoSox and Yankee fans have something in common.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 19, 2004, 04:18:56 AM

Quote from: Joe
Pettite.

It looks like hopefully his "injury" won't have any lasting effects.  He only had that 1 start for houston before going on the DL, and I think he still had opening night/new team jitters.  I never watched much of him when he was in the AL, but from what I know of him, he can be as dominant as anyone out there.

Quote from: Joe
Clemens.

2004:
Games: 3
IP:  20.2
H: 7
SO:  19
BB:  7
ERA:  .87
BAA:  .108

Yikes.
Madman
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 19, 2004, 06:36:45 AM

Quote from: Margalis
The Astros are a decent team in a mediocre division. With Prior out for a while I think you have to give them a good shot at the division title. I don't follow the NL too much, but it seems like every NL team has their share of flaws.
---
As far as Boog goes...he's just a troll. He's not a Red Sox fan or a baseball fan or anything...just a troll trying to pick some topic he thinks will rile people up. Next week he'll move on to some other topic he knows nothing about.

I am not quite sure what the hell you are smoking, but you might want to lay off of it. I doubt I would even smoke it if you think that the NL central is just a mediocre division. The central is the strongest division in the NL this year, even with the Brewers and Pirates. The reason people incorrectly percieve the NL central as a weak division is because every team in the division beats up on each other.

As for every NL team having their flaws, the same can be said of every AL team. That is the nature of baseball, there is no such thing as a perfect team, even your Yankees.

I was ignoring the Astro's troll, even without Prior the Cubs are still going to win the division. Clemens is a worry with his fantastic start, but then again a lot of teams haven't really seen him before so he has a grace period. He is still a good pitcher, but I am sure he is going to get rocked soon. As for the Cubs, I am a little concerned about Maddux's horrible start, but he did the same thing last year and still won 16 games. The rest of the Cubs pitchers look pretty damn good and the Cubs offense is much much better this year.

As for Boog, I think you are completely retarded. Boog IS a Red Sox fan and I believe he is also a fan of baseball in general. Although he doesn't talk about it rabidly like others. I am gonna have to say that you are the moron trolling this thread.

I would take a Red Sox fan over a Yankees fan any day of the week. Yankees fans are the most boring fans ever. They sit around quietly until late in the season, just assuming that the Yankees will win again. When fall comes around they all come out of the woodwork talking shit. At least a Red Sox fan will be completely rooting for their team throughout the entire year.

It's easy to root for the top dog, but it takes a lot more heart to root for the constant underdog and love every single minute of it.

So to sum up: Stop being a trolling retard and die in a Yankee Stadium fire.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 19, 2004, 08:25:18 AM

Quote from: Madman

I doubt I would even smoke it if you think that the NL central is just a mediocre division.

Agree.

As for every NL team having their flaws, the same can be said of every AL team.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I was ignoring the Astro's troll.

[Kyle's mom's voice] WhatwhatWHAT?

even without Prior the Cubs are still going to win the division.

Clearly, we are dealing with a madman.  Wait, ROFL.  Didn't even catch the irony at first.

Truth is, it could be a close race come September.  It could even be the Cubs that provide the pressure.

Did I ever think I'd have to sirbruce a baseball post?  No sir.  Are Chip Carey and Steve Stone lovers?  Youbetcha.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #24 on: April 19, 2004, 09:40:01 AM

Buncha Astros shit

Die, bitch.

Cubs 4LIFE!

WayAbvPar

Reply #25 on: April 19, 2004, 09:47:01 AM

I am going to excuse myself from this conversation until the Mariners are capable of winning more than 1/3 of their games. Jeebus.

When does NFL training camp start? 'Tis my only hope...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 19, 2004, 05:22:46 PM

Damn it, I worked really hard finding those astros pictures!  At least someone should comment on it, even if it is how ghey I am or how much the astros suXXor.

The Astros might be the best team in their division.  I don't think the Cubs have enough to make it all the way.  And I root for the Cardinals every year, but they didn't get what they really needed, which was better pitching.  If the Cardinals had the Astros pitching staff, they'd be a shoe-in for sure.

Why couldn't Clemens have been from St. Louis?  Sigh...

Bruce
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #27 on: April 20, 2004, 07:50:18 AM

The Astros have a better SS than the Cubs, and the catcher position is even, with the Cubs having better offense and Ausmus being the better receiver. After that, it's a dead heat.

Patterson = Biggio
Bagwell > Lee (though Lee's defense is better)
Sosa > Hidalgo
Alou = Berkman (even though Berkman's a switch-hitter, he's not a power guy from the right)
Ramirez > Ensberg (though Ensberg has better D)
Kent > Walker/Grudzelanik

Pitching staff without Prior is about even, with Prior, Cubs win (provided Maddux learns how to pitch again). Dotel is not a proven closer, Borowski is. This being the first year the Cubs actually have a scary good bullpen, they will win the division.

Madman
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 20, 2004, 09:15:13 AM

Ramrez's fielding has looked a hell of a lot better for the first 12 games this year and his bat has been on fucking fire during the past homestand.

The Astro's are also getting old. In fact, I would put Patterson>Biggio because Biggio has lost a step or two, even considering Patterson's recontructed knee. I think Patterson is just being a little too aggresive at the plate (which is ok for now as he tries to find his stroke again). Patterson is a great first ball hitter which takes a suprising amount of discipline. However, if that first pitch is in the zone Patterson is going to smack the crap out of it. I really liked the way he fought back in the 2nd and then picked up the single that knocked in those two runs.

I am starting to like Barrett, at least at the plate, but I think he needs some work behind the plate. He seems somewhat lazy when it comes to blocking balls. He did a good job in the first inning yesterday, but there have been a few pitches this year where he just tried to grab at the ball instead of blocking it with his body.

That is my two cents worth. I hope Alou can keep up the hitting because when he hits the Cubs tend to win.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #29 on: April 20, 2004, 06:51:47 PM

Much as I like the Cubs rotation, I would have to say Oswalt, Clemens, Pettite, and Miller > Prior, Wood, Zambrano, Maddux.  

Its still great, but I give the advantage to Houston.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #30 on: April 21, 2004, 06:26:21 AM

Quote from: SirBruce

But there's only one score that REALLY matters, since 1918:

Yankees 26
Red Sox 0

Buwahahahaha! That has to be one of the funniest things ive evar read. Yankees own you beyotch!

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 21, 2004, 05:52:38 PM

Cardinals beat the Astros last night, and tonight they are just bombing the Astros right out of that park.  So maybe the Cardinals have a chance... they give up the most home runs, but they also hit more than anyone else, too.

Bruce
Madman
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 21, 2004, 06:20:52 PM

Cardinals beat the Astros last night, and tonight they are just bombing the Astros right out of that park.  So maybe the Cardinals have a chance... they give up the most home runs, but they also hit more than anyone else, too.

Bruce

Sorry, but they don't have a chance to beat the Cubs in home runs. The Cubs surprisingly have what is probably the most potent lineup in the NL, at least in theory. So far this season they have proven it. Sosa is on a 9 game hit streak, Alou has an 8 game hit streak, Rameriz has a 7 game hit streak (still with a chance to get a hit tonight). The have scored 12 runs tonight without the benefit of a home run.

As far as homers go, the Cubs are really going to crush the ball this year. Here are my approximate projected totals for the lineup:

Walker/Grudzielanik - Combined for around 15 HR
Patterson - 15-20 HR (possibly closer to 30 HR)
Sosa - 50+ HR
Alou - 20 HR (unless he keeps his awesome start up then it will be more like 30)
Rameriz - 30+ HR (he is going to have a career year with HR)
Lee - 30+ HR
Gonzalez - 15-20 HR
Barrett - 25 HR (provided he stays healthy and catches about 130 games)

That is one ugly lineup when you think about it. You just can't get away from it. For the first time in a long time the lineup is strong from top to bottom. The only possible weak link is Gonzalez, but he has recently gone on a tear and really raised his batting average and he looks like he will keep it up. The more I watch Barrett hit, the more I am glad the Cubs picked him up (although he still needs to work on his defense behind the plate), he has struck out only 4 times in 41 at bats. Lee has been off to a fairly slow start, but I certainly don't expect that to continue. Patterson is finally going to have his breakout year and Rameriz is going to have a career year. Sosa and Alou are veterans who will consistantly produce.

The more I think about it, the more I like the Cubs chances this year.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #33 on: April 21, 2004, 10:11:31 PM

Bruce

Sorry, but they don't have a chance to beat the Cubs in home runs. The Cubs surprisingly have what is probably the most potent lineup in the NL, at least in theory. So far this season they have proven it. Sosa is on a 9 game hit streak, Alou has an 8 game hit streak, Rameriz has a 7 game hit streak (still with a chance to get a hit tonight). The have scored 12 runs tonight without the benefit of a home run.

As far as homers go, the Cubs are really going to crush the ball this year. Here are my approximate projected totals for the lineup:

Walker/Grudzielanik - Combined for around 15 HR
Patterson - 15-20 HR (possibly closer to 30 HR)
Sosa - 50+ HR
Alou - 20 HR (unless he keeps his awesome start up then it will be more like 30)
Rameriz - 30+ HR (he is going to have a career year with HR)
Lee - 30+ HR
Gonzalez - 15-20 HR
Barrett - 25 HR (provided he stays healthy and catches about 130 games)

That is one ugly lineup when you think about it. You just can't get away from it. For the first time in a long time the lineup is strong from top to bottom. The only possible weak link is Gonzalez, but he has recently gone on a tear and really raised his batting average and he looks like he will keep it up. The more I watch Barrett hit, the more I am glad the Cubs picked him up (although he still needs to work on his defense behind the plate), he has struck out only 4 times in 41 at bats. Lee has been off to a fairly slow start, but I certainly don't expect that to continue. Patterson is finally going to have his breakout year and Rameriz is going to have a career year. Sosa and Alou are veterans who will consistantly produce.

The more I think about it, the more I like the Cubs chances this year.

It was like, what?  Eleventybillion to 0 in the 7th tonight?

Granted, the Pirates aren't a representative sample of baseball might, and yeah, we've been waxed a few times this year.  But it's not like the local network sport guys didn't point out how we'd fallen below .500 maybe, MAYBE 7 games into the season.

[knockonwood]I know I've said this on various fourms since a long time, but this is quite possibly maybe our year.[/knockonwood]

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 22, 2004, 04:19:42 AM

Well, look at the Cardinals in comparison:

Rolen - 30 HR
Pujlos - 40-50 HR (2nd best hitter in baseball after Bonds)
Sanders - 30 HR
Edmonds - 40 HR
Langkford - Big question mark here; 15-30 HR depending on his year
Renteria/Anderson/Matheny - 30-40 HR all together

So, my totals are not as good as yours, but I think I'm being more conservative. :)  They are certainly ahead of the cubs in HR so far.  We'll have to see how that trend continues.

But, I admit, both Cubs and Astros have much better pitching this year, so the Cards' chances are not good.  However, it's a weak division, so the Wild Card spot is certainly a possibility.

Bruce
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So how bout them Yankees  
Jump to: