Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:56:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Van Helsing- How bad will it suck? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Van Helsing- How bad will it suck?  (Read 19033 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #105 on: August 10, 2005, 06:03:00 AM

Dog Soldiers?

I can't even say that I hate it...I've tried to watch it a couple of times, but always ended up turning it off. Definitely not what I'm looking for. I want a Werewolf flick in the classic sense (i.e. Jekyl/Hyde). Not Predator with cockney accents. I don't care so much about seeing blood and guts as I do watching a guy psychologically deteriorate.

edit: spelling

Also, I'd just like to add: I've got a thing for "lonely guy" stories (Taxi Driver, Monte Christo, Mad Max, Last Tango in Paris, almost any given spaghetti Western or Samurai tale.....and the like). Loneliness is the main reason why I watch classic monster movies too. When it's changed to "survival", "gore", or "horror" (or whatever) I feel little reason to watch. Just my opinion though...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 06:25:08 AM by Stray »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: August 10, 2005, 06:10:16 AM

I can see where you're coming from, but I LOVED Dog Soldiers.

Just one of those things.

"There is no Spoons."

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #107 on: August 10, 2005, 08:54:30 AM

Dog Soldiers?

I can't even say that I hate it...I've tried to watch it a couple of times, but always ended up turning it off. Definitely not what I'm looking for. I want a Werewolf flick in the classic sense (i.e. Jekyl/Hyde). Not Predator with cockney accents. I don't care so much about seeing blood and guts as I do watching a guy psychologically deteriorate.

edit: spelling

Give a try to the Ginger Snaps trilogy if you are feeling adventurous. Certainly not classic werewolf fare, but deffinately not Dog Soldiers either (which I also loved).

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #108 on: August 10, 2005, 11:45:52 AM

Brotherhood of the Wolf. Bonus points go to Monica Bellucci's breasts in that one.

Also, Underworld was a bag of demonic leper nuts. My friend at work told me it was great, and I almost cried with how stupid it was. Cool premise, interesting gadgets, shitty acting, shitty writing.

Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: August 10, 2005, 12:22:47 PM

I'm sure a good werewolf movie would entail werewolves throwing cows.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #110 on: August 10, 2005, 01:08:16 PM

I just knew a ton of people who said they loved it (Underworld) and they'd look at me in disbelief for saying it was awful.  I don't know, maybe it's the water out here.  I felt it could've been FAR worse, but it was pretty mediocre and, yes, a waste of time to watch.

But you wanna see really awful, go watch Wes Craven's "Cursed".  Now THERE'S an awful werewolf flick.  Dear god.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: August 10, 2005, 01:35:59 PM

Emmy Rossum was cute.  That's the best thing I can say for this movie.  That and it was terrific fun to make fun of while watching. My favorite moment would be yelling "SAURUMON!" when the flock of birds flew overhead.  Thoughout the entire movie I couldn't shake the feeling that the movie could have been a lot better if at some time a horde of CGI orcs came rampaging through the city killing all in their path.  Then tanks.  Tanks v. orcs: that would have saved the movie.

Sing my angel of music!!! Sing for me!!

Check Rossum out in Phantom of the Opera. The first 10 minutes are worth it alone - even without her. The theatre transformation scene has to be the coolest use of of CGI I have ever seen. Plus - Emmy can sing - maybe not lipsink so well - but she can sing.

AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: August 11, 2005, 10:26:29 AM

I just knew a ton of people who said they loved it (Underworld) and they'd look at me in disbelief for saying it was awful.
They wouldn't happen to be dedicated players of the White Wolf PnP RPGs that Underworld borrows most of its stuff from?

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #113 on: August 11, 2005, 12:17:17 PM

I just knew a ton of people who said they loved it (Underworld) and they'd look at me in disbelief for saying it was awful.
They wouldn't happen to be dedicated players of the White Wolf PnP RPGs that Underworld borrows most of its stuff from?

Nope.  I'm the only one, of the people with whom I spoke, who actually knew anything about the World of Darkness.  That turned me off further from the film, that they ripped it off without giving credit.

Now give me a Vampire: The Masquerade or Werewolf: The Apocalypse movie and I'm fucking there.  Even though it'll almost certainly suck.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 12:23:41 PM by Llava »

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #114 on: August 11, 2005, 12:23:05 PM

Firefly kicks ass.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Van Helsing- How bad will it suck?  
Jump to: