Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:01:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Spider-Man: No Way Home 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spider-Man: No Way Home  (Read 11865 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: August 23, 2021, 07:20:08 PM

After initially being leaked, the full trailer is up now.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 07:22:02 PM by Velorath »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 01:32:42 AM

*Exclusively* in movie theatres. Couldn't help themselves.

Not sure what I think of the actual movie. The degree of comic book nerdery in these is starting to get out of control, and the trailer suggested enough plot for a TV series. But it looked much cooler than the other MCU trailers we have right now.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 08:59:32 AM

I really hope there's a better reason for Strange to cast that spell than "I'm gonna do you a solid because you and I saved the universe together once, so I'll intervene in space/time to change all of history to help you personally."
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 09:02:03 AM

I really hope there's a better reason for Strange to cast that spell than "I'm gonna do you a solid because you and I saved the universe together once, so I'll intervene in space/time to change all of history to help you personally."

why so serious?

To be honest i stopped expecting anything super serious anytime this version of spiderman is involved.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 12:58:49 PM

he's gonna fix his A/C at the same time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 01:01:45 PM

The better reason is "to prove that I can", obviously.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 01:02:54 PM

he time looped dormammu he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 01:05:05 PM

But that was with the Time Stone which no longer exists.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 01:22:54 PM

the true time stone is the friends we made along the way
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 01:26:42 PM

I keep wondering if they're gonna bring up the whole "without the Time Stone Dormammu will invade this reality" issue now that it's destroyed.

I also keep wondering if the Stones are actually destroyed destroyed, considering that they seem to be a kind of cheat code that's pretty fundamental to reality.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 01:32:10 PM

Given the scene where he first starts messing around with the Time Stone, disregarding Wong's warnings and messing around with things he maybe shouldn't be isn't out of character for Strange.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 01:37:45 PM

I keep wondering if they're gonna bring up the whole "without the Time Stone Dormammu will invade this reality" issue now that it's destroyed.

I also keep wondering if the Stones are actually destroyed destroyed, considering that they seem to be a kind of cheat code that's pretty fundamental to reality.

I don't think it's a matter of the Time Stone being some sort of barrier keeping Dormammu out or anything. The stone was needed so Strange could use it to get Dormammu to leave. Maybe if Dormammu were to find out that it's gone he might decide to try invading again, but even then he doesn't have someone like Kaecilius actively trying to let him in at the moment.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 01:43:51 PM

It's like arguing the rules on Who's Line ffs
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 02:15:49 PM

Strange IS kind of the Tony Stark of magic, so yeah, maybe this is his Ultron ("let's use Peter as an experiment in reality-warping/reality-erasing so I can find out how to undo other mistakes if I or someone else happens to make them").
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 03:51:58 PM

The stones aren't destroyed, they're reduced to their component atoms or somesuch in order to prevent their further use.  So the time stone is still constraining Dormoru.

That's all I got in terms of handwaving.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 05:24:36 PM

Strange is arrogant. He probably simply goes "Yeah, I can do it. Who cares if it might be a problem. That's only for lesser wizards. Not me."

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 06:17:08 PM

I'm guessing that the trailer is playing around to keep the mystery up--but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the multiversal chaos precedes Peter's meeting with Strange, at least some form of it--and that Jameson is the key sign of it. After all, Peter in the MCU up to this point has had none of the life that gets him involved with J.Jonah Jameson in any form--he and May are not strapped for money in the usual Parker sense, he barely thinks about Ben (because he's had a substitute Dad and a substitute motivational system--he's been more worried all along about pleasing Tony), he's not interested in photography. Jameson showing up suddenly like this is potentially a sign of some multiversal breach spilling over--e.g., Mysterio was a goddamn liar but on this he may actually have been speaking some kind of overheard truth (think about the line in the Eternals trailer that everybody coming back to life started something with 'excess energy').

So the trailer is making it look like it's simple--Peter and Strange just trying to reboot reality--when I'll wager that's a solution to something that's happening that's way worse than everybody knowing his identity.

As long as it doesn't end with Peter annulling his relationship to MJ a-la One More Day...
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 06:45:14 PM

So the trailer is making it look like it's simple--Peter and Strange just trying to reboot reality--when I'll wager that's a solution to something that's happening that's way worse than everybody knowing his identity.

it's this

this movie takes place *after* loki so
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 24, 2021, 07:14:14 PM

It's like arguing the rules on Who's Line ffs

Let them have their fun.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #19 on: August 24, 2021, 11:25:54 PM

The Time Stone isn't stopping Dormammu, Strange just used it to drive back his invasion.  He was only able to invade because several of the sanctuaries where destroyed.  One has to assume that they've now been rebuilt/re-enforced, and those are what is keeping him at bay, not the stones.   

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 12:07:51 AM

Dormammu was never being restrained by the time stone. He is being restrained by a deal with Strange.

My guess is just that strange wants an excuse to play with the cool magic
I'm guessing that the trailer is playing around to keep the mystery up--but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the multiversal chaos precedes Peter's meeting with Strange, at least some form of it--and that Jameson is the key sign of it. After all, Peter in the MCU up to this point has had none of the life that gets him involved with J.Jonah Jameson in any form--he and May are not strapped for money in the usual Parker sense, he barely thinks about Ben (because he's had a substitute Dad and a substitute motivational system--he's been more worried all along about pleasing Tony), he's not interested in photography. Jameson showing up suddenly like this is potentially a sign of some multiversal breach spilling over--e.g., Mysterio was a goddamn liar but on this he may actually have been speaking some kind of overheard truth (think about the line in the Eternals trailer that everybody coming back to life started something with 'excess energy').

As long as it doesn't end with Peter annulling his relationship to MJ a-la One More Day...

Not sure this is necessary. Jameson comes in because Parker is now known as spiderman. He didn't "not exist" until parker interacts with him. So spider man is still villain number 1 for Jameson and now there is an actual face to that villain
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 08:25:57 AM

If they want to create universal Peter Parker amnesia, there has to be simpler ways than rewriting reality. "Everyone is hypnotized, we tell everyone to burn that issue of the Daily Planet, done"

It wouldn't surprise me if the reason is "I dunno there seems to be some cosmic time crack centered on you, lets try and fix it... no that didn't work,, hang on I see the sign of Mephesto, lets have a look inside this... WHAT THE FUCK YOU SOLD YOUR MARRAIGE TO THE DEVIL??"

Hic sunt dracones.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 25, 2021, 08:29:06 AM

Looking forward to all the Nerd-rage when they screw up the canon.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #23 on: August 25, 2021, 09:06:54 AM

I'm not sure how that is possible, given that the premise is "Let's put it all in a blender and set it for puree." Like, you can't 'screw up' the canon when the fundamental premise of the movie is that everything just got randomized.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #24 on: August 25, 2021, 09:25:02 AM

The MCU has already screwed up the comic books canon. Whatever the MCU does is canon in the MCU including retconning itself if it wants to.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 25, 2021, 09:58:27 AM

I was gonna say. Marvel has been busy remaking its canon to get it into line with the movies since IM 1, pretty much. Though I don't keep up that much right now--is Tony Stark still alive in the MU? (He's been dead so often in the last decade...)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 25, 2021, 11:56:39 PM

I mean, when the movie franchise makes eleventy trillion dollars, I doubt they worry too much about the comic book nerds and their idea of canon.  MCU is the canon.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 26, 2021, 01:54:57 AM

I was gonna say. Marvel has been busy remaking its canon to get it into line with the movies since IM 1, pretty much. Though I don't keep up that much right now--is Tony Stark still alive in the MU? (He's been dead so often in the last decade...)

I'm about 70% sure he is alive in 616 at the moment.

They've certainly been shifting the characters to match the movies. But seems like the idea is to let the comic plots remain total batshit - as that is pretty much the core identity of the medium.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #28 on: August 27, 2021, 08:22:02 PM

I haven't read much of the comics lately, but the trend for the last 5+ years has been that tight-knit universe spanning continuity is a lot looser than it used to be. Most of the books are pretty short runs compared to what they were - a creative team gets between 2-4 years of issues, maybe 5 and then the status quo of the book is left up to the new team. Even the universe spanning crossovers aren't having as much of an effect as they used to.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 28, 2021, 06:11:14 PM

I'm about 70% sure he is alive in 616 at the moment.

They've certainly been shifting the characters to match the movies. But seems like the idea is to let the comic plots remain total batshit - as that is pretty much the core identity of the medium.

Well they had the Ultimate universe for that before they nuked it from orbit. Then they had Brand New All Different Marvel... for like a year and a half before the sales tanked and that wasn't really them merging MCU continuity with 616 continuity so much as making a wish list of characters they wish were more popular and aggressively pushing them. One of the aftermaths of this was, which also coincidently coincided with Marvels legal battles over the Xmen, was the nuking of the xmen/mutants in favor of the inhumans. Remember when MCU Marvel tried to make the inhumans a thing and that never left the runway? Thank the legal battle with Fox and the ongoing gutting of the xmen comics in order to pave the way for the less problematic, more popular, not at all boring ass fuck inhumans.

The biggest beneficiary of the MCU is a thing and not something to be ignored is comic book Captain Marvel. Well comic book Captain Marvel has been pushed pretty hard for a while, at least before the MCU Marvel realized that Captain Marvel wasn't owned by Sony or Fox. Unfortunately she is even less popular after multiple issue 1 releases, multiple teams that she stars and actively leads, and dating War Machine... then her MCU counter part. Iron man for his part is barely a iron anything at this point partially due to Captain Marvel leading the super hero community into countless wars with anything with a super power, being made the bad guy in several comic book events back to back, and also his mantle being passed to anyone not named Tony Stark while he is very much alive.

And that's just the last time I checked into the dumpster fire which is Marvel Comics. I think the closest they've tried to mimicking the MCU success is the reimagining of star lord and the guardians of the galaxy i guess? Maybe?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 30, 2021, 02:06:03 AM

When I stopped reading comings they were doing endless team battles with X bunch fighting Y bunch. They really haven't had an overall direction for the comics in years, so they appear to be content to have "this is the eternal status quo, so you start off from that and when your team has done it's story then we can reset to default status quo for the next team." Which is not necessarily bad, but they haven't really made that explicit to the reader, so it looks like total chaos all the time a people try and connect a million disconnected threads

Plus, to me, Marvel has always made the classic mistake of way too much good guys and too few villains, so the Villains have to be superpowerful  to stand a chance/be an actual threat to the teams of Superheros. People like Batman, by contrast, could till a football stadium with their antagonists.

Hic sunt dracones.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #31 on: November 16, 2021, 08:29:38 PM

Newest trailer, even more spoilery than before: https://youtu.be/ZYzbalQ6Lg8

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #32 on: December 16, 2021, 09:31:53 PM

Yep it's great, even during the times when it calls back to movies that are utter garbage.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 17, 2021, 04:27:34 PM

Yeah, this was just perfect. That's the first time they have a whole ass trailer as a post credit scene right?

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #34 on: December 17, 2021, 05:56:39 PM

There was the teaser for Avengers after the credits of the first Cap movie. It was probably a little shorter than the Dr. Strange trailer but I'm not sure the Dr. Strange one was a full length trailer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Spider-Man: No Way Home  
Jump to: