Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:04:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings  (Read 16637 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: April 20, 2021, 04:32:23 PM

Official Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giWIr7U1deA

In theaters September 3rd, 2021 (year not specified).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:58:22 PM by Trippy »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 04:52:21 PM

The year is specified, it says "this autumn" doesn't it?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 04:57:58 PM

Yeah it has the year at the very end of the teaser but it's not included in the Description for some reason.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 05:10:44 PM

Love the tweet I saw, which was "at last as an Asian I feel represented by a Marvel film--a movie about a parent disappointed by his child."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 05:21:24 PM

This is the Way.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 07:16:29 PM

Trailer. WARNING: spoils the plot of the movie*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YjFbMbfXaQ

* not that MCU plots are all the complex to begin with
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 10:10:09 AM

Now I want to see the movie even more after that trailer.  Don't care if it spoils anything, that looked great.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 10:18:48 AM

Yeah, it's much more epic than the teaser.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 10:27:54 AM

Takes up a notch. Interesting to see who's in that cage match at the end.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 08:34:46 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 08:36:57 PM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 06:23:38 PM

Yes. That's why I said "interesting to see".
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 05:17:46 PM

No mention of ?  I know Guardians came first but it just feels like both DC (with Gunn's SS) and Marvel are just going full comic book crazy and I love it.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 08:11:26 PM

No mention of ?  I know Guardians came first but it just feels like both DC (with Gunn's SS) and Marvel are just going full comic book crazy and I love it.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

FIN FANG FOOM!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 12:19:29 AM

Oh, you cannot imagine how annoyed he is.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 11:57:23 AM

I guess that's him? Could be the dragon from Agents of Atlas, though. Or just a dragon.

I love the redesign on the Mandarin's rings, definitely.

We were rewatching Ragnarok last night and it just suddenly occurred to me that it was the movie where Marvel moved into full comic-book. e.g., they weren't worried any more about trying to do some kind of real-world grounding and to keep the color palette restrained etc. 

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 12:04:01 PM

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 12:27:00 PM

We were rewatching Ragnarok last night and it just suddenly occurred to me that it was the movie where Marvel moved into full comic-book. e.g., they weren't worried any more about trying to do some kind of real-world grounding and to keep the color palette restrained etc. 

Still my favorite thus far, of the MCU stuff. I may like Into the Spider-verse a bit more, though. THAT was the single best integration of comic and movie I've seen, without seeming forced. Obviously easier with full animation, but definitely not easy to get right.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 28, 2021, 04:40:40 PM

I'd have to nerd it up big time, but those Screen Rants are narrowly curating the many and various appearances of Fin Fang Foom in a particular direction and leaving a ton of shit, much of it hilarious or self-satirizing, out of the history, plus they're just ignoring all the other dragons and all the other attempts to make the Mandarin make not-racist sense (much as Agents of Atlas desperately tried to make the Yellow Claw something other than 'Fu Manchu lite', which of course brings us back to Shang-Chi, who was still fighting an unnamed version of his seriously racist-creator father as late as Secret Avengers in 2010 or so (renamed "Zheng Zhu").

Suffice it to say that the Marvel folks will take the good stuff and leave the dross behind, wherever it is they find the good stuff. They have really not blown it so far on that point with a few minor exceptions.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 10:08:57 AM

I guess you never watched Guardians of the Galaxy huh?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 11:53:04 AM

I think Guardians still felt as if it were safely "away" from the rest of the MCU at that point, though. Ragnarok moved it into the main text in a way that was "no going back now".
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 12:18:24 PM

If they wanted to go full comic book they should have made the Collector and Grandmaster Elders instead of just dudes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 30, 2021, 06:46:58 PM

I don't think they're not Elders, if you know what I mean? It took a long time for the "Elders of the Universe" canon to cohere.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 03, 2021, 01:12:54 PM

This was good. I don't know that I'd call it great, but it has a lot of Feige's typical pruning and reconceptualizing of Marvel source material. I wasn't wild about some of the big finale action--it had some of the usual issues that lots of the Marvel movies have when there's a desire to up the ante into a giant spectacular battle. Good wuxia fights--the bus one early on is maybe the best. Very strong cast and acting--I found Awkwafina more tolerable than in some things.

Post-credits scenes are interesting; one opens up a question for nerds to puzzle over.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 03, 2021, 05:49:22 PM

I think Guardians still felt as if it were safely "away" from the rest of the MCU at that point, though. Ragnarok moved it into the main text in a way that was "no going back now".

I see Guardians as the pivotal point where the MCU realised you could have fun, cut loose from taking yourself seriously, AND tell a great story. Ragnorak turned that up to 100.

It shouldn't have worked, but damn it was a breath of fresh air in a franchise that could have gone stagnant very quickly. It set the tone that it was ok to go a bit nuts... which Ragnorak built on.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 03, 2021, 06:25:07 PM

Yeah, Guardians + Ragnarok let some air into the room on multiple levels.

One thing I'm enjoying in the social media threads on the movie is that fluent speakers of Mandarin are all complaining about the subtitles on one key line. What the subtitles say:

"I'm thousands of years older than you!"

What the actual spoken language apparently says:

"I've eaten more salt than you have meals" (or "I've had more salt than you've eaten full meals of rice").

Which seems WAY more vivid.

Anyway, Tony Leung is great--like, Killmonger great--as an antagonist. His last act motivation is not what I was expecting and it has some pathos to it.

Also: it's not Fin Fang Foom. Or if it is, it's unannounced.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #26 on: September 04, 2021, 08:11:34 AM

I saw this last night and really enjoyed it.  Fights were cool.  Cast had good chemistry.  Loved the visuals in the last act.  The magical critters could have come off as totally goofy and fakey but I bought them.  I really liked the gradual transition from things initially feeling very grounded in reality (especially from a personal perspective -- see bottom of post) and getting increasingly fantastical.  The last few scenes (no spoilers) were a really fun way to bring that hero's journey full circle.

Morris plushes are gonna sell like hotcakes.

Spoilery stuff:

Curious to see what the new Big Bad (?) they're setting up in that first credits scene is.  I assume that it ties into the multiverse stuff they've been setting up everywhere else.

Nobody else will care about this, but the locations used in the first act make me impossibly biased toward this movie.  Spoilering gushy wall of text.

Overall, very glad I went and saw it opening weekend instead of waiting.  Already looking forward to the sequel because I want to see where these characters go from here.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 11:05:22 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 04, 2021, 11:45:00 AM

"I've eaten more salt than you have meals" (or "I've had more salt than you've eaten full meals of rice").

It's something "I've eaten more grains of salt than you have grains of rice".  The translation just called him a "young man". Loved the movie, the cast was great together, the action was probably the best choreographed in all the MCU and the funny bits all hit. The post credit scene describing the final battle to their incredulous friend was great.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 11:48:25 AM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 04, 2021, 02:12:37 PM

Yeah, these are engaging characters. I think rather like Black Panther, they've built a new room in the house of the MCU that's durable and extensible--you can very much see these characters showing up elsewhere and developing dynamically within the universe.

As for the first post-credits scene, the possibilities would be:

On another front,
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #29 on: September 04, 2021, 04:10:30 PM

Was being picky about how many people I was ok being around in order to watch this, so I found a theater and showtime where there were only a handful of tickets and it all worked out.

I thought it was pretty great. Liked the cast a lot. Yeah, there's the usual overuse of CGI at the end but from the trailers I was actually expecting it to be even worse in that respect so it ultimately didn't bother me too much.

schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: September 04, 2021, 05:25:35 PM

Anyway, Tony Leung is great--like, Killmonger great--as an antagonist.

I haven't seen this yet but Killmonger was like, maybe the worst antagonist so what does this mean
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #31 on: September 07, 2021, 01:16:39 PM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 07, 2021, 02:52:32 PM

The exposition on the Ten Rings also confirmed that

You also have to wonder if

On the other hand

I was also trying to figure out if Shang Chi and Katy and his sister were all blipped; they don't seem to have a feeling of aimless lost time from those five weird years, and Katy + Shang Chi seem to have their lives still aligned from being kids.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #33 on: September 07, 2021, 03:43:39 PM

The exposition on the Ten Rings also confirmed that

You also have to wonder if

On the other hand

I was also trying to figure out if Shang Chi and Katy and his sister were all blipped; they don't seem to have a feeling of aimless lost time from those five weird years, and Katy + Shang Chi seem to have their lives still aligned from being kids.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 07, 2021, 08:00:24 PM

Yeah. Which is just kinda dumb, because folks are forgetting the scenario here:

The Black Order shows up only a very short time after Bruce Banner is flung to Dr. Strange's Sanctum. Nobody has any warning besides Strange, Stark, Banner and Wong that this is going to go down. Only Banner really knows the power levels and threat involved.

Stark and Parker get taken off-world. Banner calls Steve Rogers; tells him the Vision is the next target. That fight happens a very short time afterwards.

That group goes off to Wakanda. Thor is rescued; takes Rocket and Groot to forge a new weapon. Rest of the Guardians show up for the fight on Thanos' former home planet--there's not a ton of time there either. A few days? Nobody on Earth knows what might be coming except Wakanda and the Avengers. There's no global alert, etc. Then the Snap. Nobody else can get involved.

In the "Portals" scene? Strange and his pals summon only who they know about that they're already allied with. They don't know about Wenwu (or if they do they're not on speaking terms), they don't know about Ta Lo (or if they do, they can't just teleport in and out of there and they're as subject as anybody else to the maze). They don't (obviously) know about the Eternals. etc, or they know that summoning the Eternals breaks their rules.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings  
Jump to: