Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:41:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2021: Long-hauler Edition 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2021: Long-hauler Edition  (Read 31763 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: March 17, 2021, 07:30:27 AM

So I guess I'll start this year's thread now that Bill has spent his stimulus money. Bob Kraft is going to have to sell a lot of mac-n-cheese to cover the past couple days! I feel like this is Billy's 'hold my beer' love letter to Tampa's strategy last year...

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 07:56:50 PM

Considering how no one on his team could catch the ball last season, I don't blame him. He's had good luck with 2 TE sets (even though one of his tight ends turned out to be a fucking idiot murderer). Cam may be washed up but it's hard to tell with such a shit set of dudes catching the ball. This is Bill realizing he made his name because of the greatest QB of all goddamn time, so now he has to scramble to build an actual fucking team.

I'm happy that Green Bay resigned Aaron Jones, because I was sure as shit they were just going to let him walk. Now they just have to make sure they give Aaron Rodgers EVERYTHING HE FUCKING ASKED FOR GODDAMNIT because if they drive him off, the team is fucked.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 07:55:02 AM

I don't give all the credit to Brady, but it was certainly a wake-up call that he has to be a bit more serious about his offense now. The last several years of Brady Pats suffered from pretty terrible targets. The TE party should've happened 3 years ago but clearly they were tapped out (and the strat worked, ring attained, so...).

I think Cam was kind of a victim of circumstances, late signing, inheriting the paucity of weapons that Brady had in those last lean years plus COVID (his worst performances were the few weeks after Cam came back from COVID. I think he's still got some solid years in him, though it remains to be seen if he can rise above B-class when given a better set of targets (and some protection).

I was pretty happy last season, considering the situation. It was fun having Cam energy on the team and many of their losses were right at the buzzer, so even a single high B-class TE could've eked out wins in some of those (nudging them into the wild card last year).

Ironically, some of Cam's best stuff was the first week or two when they were still using a lot of his playbook with more RPO style stuff. I was bummed they seemed to pull back on that and hope to see it featured much more, especially given the trick plays you can build around such a versatile setup.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 07:13:46 AM

What the NFL got from the networks for the next 10 years of broadcast rights: $10 billion/year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31088098/nfl-announces-tv-deals-espn-abc-nbc-cbs-fox-amazon

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 08:57:23 AM

I just wish they'd end EA's exclusive game rights.  Ohhhhh, I see.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 11:07:29 AM

Being able to flex for Monday night games is something that was desperately needed. Mondays have been almost as much of a wasteland as Thursday games.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 11:19:48 AM

Random thoughts:

As good a coach Bill B. is, I think the last year has proven pretty definitively that Brady was doing more than his share in that relationship than any of us truly believed..  Which I did not fully expect, but there it is.  I do not expect a dramatic turnaround from the Patriots.  In part, because....

Cam Newton was on in inexplicable decline well before he put on the Pats uniform.  That is not changing. 

And LOL Chicago Bears.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 11:52:54 AM

A depleted Pats vs a FA stacked Bucs?  Ohhhhh, I see.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 12:28:37 PM

Cam Newton was on in inexplicable decline well before he put on the Pats uniform.  That is not changing. 
The guy has had a lot of serious injuries. It’s not really a surprise he’s nowhere close to his earlier MVP days.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 02:50:26 PM

Random thoughts:

As good a coach Bill B. is, I think the last year has proven pretty definitively that Brady was doing more than his share in that relationship than any of us truly believed..  Which I did not fully expect, but there it is.  I do not expect a dramatic turnaround from the Patriots.  In part, because....

And LOL Chicago Bears.

I can understand that viewpoint - at face value it makes sense. But I can't agree with it due mainly to Sky's point. Brady had a team full of insanely good players on both sides of the ball - much like the year prior with Mahomes' Chiefs. It is way easier to win when you have that caliber of roster. Revisit this debate in 5 years and see what Billy B conjures up. Now that the Bills are relevant again, New England can't sleep thru that part of the schedule and the Dolphins seem to be waking up - so it is no longer a blow off division. But who knows, maybe the Pats fall into irrelevancy again for a few years and Brady goes and gets another silver football trophy.

For the first time since I can remember clearly, I am not wondering who will be coaching the Browns and I am not focusing on the draft. Feels very 1980s again. Hope Stefanski can keep things going. Higgins was a wise signing since he was always a dependable WR that seemed to show up when needed. Troy Hill will be much needed depth in the secondary since our first round CB picks seem to be made of glass. Also read today we singed LB Anthony Walker... which is great since the LB crew seems non-existent in Cleveland, though he is more run stopper than coverage.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 03:13:53 PM

The more I watched Tampa Bay this year, the better their defense got. They basically shut down Aaron Rodgers twice. That Tampa team really was a lot more stacked than I think anyone recognized when Brady signed. I don't know if they'd have won the Super Bowl without him, but they'd certainly have been a contender.

WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 05:24:22 PM

Defense wins in the playoffs. You have to have an offense that can score, sure, but only KC last year had what I would consider an elite offense (and their defense was pretty decent). Look at Seattle- they dominated with a Hall of Fame laden defense, and have steadily declined while the offense has gotten better.

Speaking of Seattle, can someone please rid me of this turbulent god-bothering QB already? So fucking sick of his 'brand'.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 05:25:06 PM

I'm sure there are a ton of teams willing to take Russell off your hands.

WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 05:29:51 PM

If Pete wasn't 10000 years old they might just take a load of draft picks and retool, but I don't think he wants to build a team again at this stage of his career. I really wish they would do it though. Watching Wilson pratfall on another team would be a great deal of fun for me. He  has so many terrible bad habits baked in that I would be surprised if he was successful unless he found the exact right fit.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 21, 2021, 08:04:11 AM

I'd take Wilson in NE, the old lady disagrees. In the 'we're going to have an old QB for a couple years' debate, our usual candidate is Fitz. Guy is just playing for fun at this point and can be a great mentor in the right system. We're also fine with Cam, because honestly NE would be playoff contenders with just about any vet QB (the pool is much smaller for vets who could win a playoff game though).

The bigger question with NE is: who's the next franchise QB? The rest of their QB bench is what we'll be watching.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 05:06:33 PM

So Deshaun Watson may be a complete shitbag? 13 sexual harrassment lawsuits that all sound horribly similar. If they are true (and that's a lot of suits to be falsified, IMO), fuck him and I hope he never plays football again.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 23, 2021, 07:03:58 PM

Well both sides are bieng represented by the Patented type Crazy Texas lawyer, so its gonna turn into a shitshow all round

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31115841/prominent-texas-attorneys-clash-cases-involving-houston-texans-qb-deshaun-watson

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 05:50:15 AM

Not to go to Politics here, but prostitution REALLY needs to be legalized. It would alleviate a lot of this kind of bullshit. Goddamned puritans and their muskets.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 24, 2021, 03:21:44 PM

Wouldn't have helped in this case. Seems the guy got his kicks from going to legit massage places and trying to get their hands touching his dick when they told him that wasn't part of the deal. If he wanted "Thai" massages there are plenty of those places to go, especially in his price range. It was the unwillingness and shock that he got his rocks off to.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 25, 2021, 07:42:05 AM

It is true that people are the worst people.
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 04:05:57 PM

So I been in meetings literally all afternoon and I finally start poking around for late day draft trades and see that Rogers finally admitted what we already knew in that he wants out of GB. So that's a thing.. Really wish the 49ers trade went thru about it. That would have been interesting since that 3 comes at the expense of the next, what, 3 years worth of 1st rounders? Not sure what the 49ers are doing out there... trade the future for the 3rd pick and then flip it for an old, still great, but old QB? Makes everyone I know wonder if the 49ers were expecting the Jets to pick differently.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 04:43:57 PM

I'm just going to laugh and laugh when the Jets draft Wilson, the most Jets thing to ever Jet.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 06:30:18 AM

We were really pulling for the Pats to get Fields, and he almost slipped back far enough. We don't watch a ton of college, but the old lady is bringing me into new facets of the sport. Pretty cool, tbh, I'm happy she's finding something to get into, she's been pretty low on hobbies lately. Hell, last year was the first draft I watched.

Anyway, I think we got a decent prospect. A pocket passer with a draft chip on his shoulder works in NE.

Not happy about the Steelers getting Etienne. That's not good for anyone (other than Pittsburgh). Hopefully Big Ben lays a Big Turd that Etienne can't hurtle over  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Also hopeful for the Bears. They've had so many pieces in place and got Trubisky'd. Maybe a new talented QB will be the kick they need.
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 30, 2021, 08:50:14 AM

We were really pulling for the Pats to get Fields, and he almost slipped back far enough. We don't watch a ton of college, but the old lady is bringing me into new facets of the sport. Pretty cool, tbh, I'm happy she's finding something to get into, she's been pretty low on hobbies lately. Hell, last year was the first draft I watched.

Anyway, I think we got a decent prospect. A pocket passer with a draft chip on his shoulder works in NE.

Not happy about the Steelers getting Etienne. That's not good for anyone (other than Pittsburgh). Hopefully Big Ben lays a Big Turd that Etienne can't hurtle over  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Also hopeful for the Bears. They've had so many pieces in place and got Trubisky'd. Maybe a new talented QB will be the kick they need.

I think the Pats are better off with Jones. The guy is basically Brady-lite, not a runner, really accurate, goes thru progressions quickly. Saban > Belichick will probably need much of a transition. Good on them.

Steelers picked up Harris, not Etienne. Jags got Etienne a pick later to keep the Clemson backfield band together I guess.

Loved watching Horn and Surtain come off the board right before Dallas picked. Hilarious. Dallas did well to pick up Parsons but I'm almost certain they were assuming they'd get 1 of the top corners.

Browns got another CB and I can't fault them since they seem to be made of paper right around the end of August. If they can all stay healthy, there are going to be a lot of coverage sacks by the Browns DL.

Best part of watching round one was the Bears on the clock and they cut to the empty living room of Fields, then over to Jones. Umm... wrong feed guys. You knew the pick was fields before the tracker moved to 'the pick is in' part. Even my wife was remarking about the empty living room.

Little surprised by the Bengals pick since Burrow might be a little squirrelly going into this season. Really thought they'd hit on Penei. Not sure wtf Denver is doing since Fields and Jones was sitting there and Lock is not looking like a starter. They must be trying to do a Manning and bring in Rogers after June 1. And the Packers, yet again, do nothing in round 1 to help the offense.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 30, 2021, 09:57:16 AM

Oops, my bad. It was late. I congratulated the boss (a huge Steelers fan) on Etienne this morning, and she agreed....it was a late night for a lot of us, heh. Made even more humorous when basically everyone was talking about the draft this morning and our new hire, who already thought our city was obsessed with football (we had a champion streak for our high school back when I was there), came in on her day off and heard us.

Anyway, I'm hopeful for Jones. His arm seems a lot slower compared to Brady's short/mid rifle, but I haven't seen young Brady film in ages.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #25 on: April 30, 2021, 11:42:39 AM

This Rodgers news is just so goddamn stupid. I don't blame Rodgers one bit, personally. The Packers organization has spent at 50% of the seasons he's been there wasting his talent with a bunch of spare parts, some of the worst defenses in the league and a coach that couldn't adjust his waistband, much less a team. The last 3 years of McCarthy's reign was Rodgers running around trying not to get killed and hope somebody would get open. We finally get a coach who brings freshness to the offense, have a legit star at both wideout and running back, a potential top 5 TE, and what do they do? Draft his fucking replacement, probably two years too early, if not more and they don't even consult him about it. Rodgers clearly has AT LEAST two good years in him from now, more if he isn't having to run around on half of the plays until somebody gets open. We sign a few defensive free agents and kudos for doing that as they were all solid starters (and Zadarius is a star) but this offseason has been doing nothing but keeping together the parts of the team that were 1 game away from the Super Bowl. That's not good enough, unfortunately, and Rodgers is well within his rights to be absolutely fed up with them slow walking their way into a championship. Trade up and get one of those great wideouts everyone was talking about in the first round, or get Elijah Moore who was available when they drafted. I don't disagree that we need another young shutdown corner to go with Alexander, but goddamn - we need someone to catch the ball and take the heat off Davante Adams more.

Just please do not let Rodgers go to the fucking Raiders (which is one of the 3 that have been touted as possible destinations). I don't have a problem rooting for the Broncos again like I did when Manning got there but fuck if I'm going to root for a Gruden Raiders team. Fuck that little grunting twat. San Francisco clearly didn't think they were going to get Rodgers (and I don't want Jimmy G in Green Bay), so went with Trey Lance instead. The Broncos not drafting a QB when they did tells me they think they are going to get Rodgers.

The worst part about the whole thing is that it was ALL avoidable. Sure, Rodgers had lots of problems with the brain trust before LeFleur came in and they drafted Jordan Love, and they were legit problems. But they were solvable. Everything they've done publicly from the moment they drafted Love has all been just one stupid blunder after another, all of it basically telling Rodgers "thanks for your service, but we're going in a different direction." It's the exact same stupid way they treated Favre and they are super lucky that Rodgers was as good as he was, because if he'd been a bust, it would have been a long time without any titles. Nothing I've heard about Love leads me to believe he's the heir apparent and if he's not, Green Bay is going to be in for a long winter of our discontent.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 30, 2021, 11:49:06 AM

We are no joke hoping he retires to host Jeopardy. But yeah, he's been done dirty for a long goddamned time, and last season was basically a giant middle finger (ala Fitz in Miami when he was 'supposed' to tank the season) to the Packer administration/coaching staff. 100% would not want to see him in silver and black.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: April 30, 2021, 11:18:36 PM

And the Packers finally take a receiver in round 3, who appears to be a possession/Randall Cobb style receiver for the slot. So maybe that's good news? Just not sure they should have waited this long.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 03, 2021, 08:04:12 AM

Rodgers is a whiny bitch.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 03, 2021, 10:18:01 AM

Rodgers is a whiny bitch.

I am forced to agree.  No QB is so good that you shouldn't think about his replacement, doubly so at his age.  And this whole argument that they never surround him with talent is actually mostly untrue.  Not enough pass protection, okay...but you can say that about most NFL QBs.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #30 on: May 03, 2021, 10:32:16 AM

It’s one thing to plan on a replacement. It’s another to draft a replacement and supposedly plan for a trade and not tell your HoF-bound QB of those plans.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #31 on: May 03, 2021, 10:49:53 AM

Cardinals drafted the fucking shoe tosser. Traded up to get him as well.

roflcopter

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 03, 2021, 11:08:49 AM

It’s one thing to plan on a replacement. It’s another to draft a replacement and supposedly plan for a trade and not tell your HoF-bound QB of those plans.

It's a story we have heard dozens of times.  Rodgers is not so special that he is immune to it.  And "plan for a trade" is a strong statement, is that even verified?  And if so, that also happens to just about every one of them.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #33 on: May 03, 2021, 07:41:11 PM

It's a story we have heard dozens of times.  Rodgers is not so special that he is immune to it.  And "plan for a trade" is a strong statement, is that even verified?  And if so, that also happens to just about every one of them.

name some?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #34 on: May 03, 2021, 08:28:02 PM

I'm with Rodgers on this one. Of course, one should expect your replacement to get drafted SOMEDAY. That day should not be when you are signed for 4 more years, only have 2 more years of guaranteed money on your contract, and oh by the way, you just led your team to within 1 game of the Super Bowl despite having only 2 legit stars on offense and a defense that had to IMPROVE to get to 21st ranked in the league. And that was after he essentially carried the team on the back of at least 3 years of McCarthy lazily "coaching" them to miss the playoffs. And even if you decide, yep, we are going to draft a 1st rounder to replace him, the absolute goddamn LEAST you can do is talk to the guy before you do it. As it was, he has to answer the questions "why did your team draft your replacement" and the best you can come up with is "Fucked if I know, they didn't tell me shit."

I'm not one to encourage prima donna behavior. There are, however, some dudes you roll out the red carpet for, ESPECIALLY if it's Green Bay. Because without Rodgers (and Favre before him), ain't nobody going to want to come to Green Bay to play football. It's the absolute ass end of nowhere. It has less to do than Buffalo. At least if it was Milwaukee, you could tempt players with the idea of being in a metropolis, small as it is. Fucking Green Bay? It HAS NOTHING but football. And if you are African-American, you will stick out like a sore thumb. The chance to play with and possibly win a Super Bowl (or at the very least contend) with a first ballot Hall of Famer and perennial MVP candidate is a draw. I have been a Packers fan since the shitty old days of the '80's. I've seen how bad that team can get without a legit star.

And it isn't like Rodgers hasn't already seen how shitty Green Bay treats its future HOF QB's, because this is a pattern that they are repeating from when Favre left. It's creating an acrimonious situation where there doesn't need to be one. At least with Favre, the Pack had the excuse of "well, he keeps waffling on whether he wants to retire." Rodgers has made absolutely no public statements or even hints that he wanted to do anything other than retire as a one-team Packer legend. With as many times as he's been hurt because his goddamn line was terrible or his coach didn't want to give him protection, and as many MVP's as he's won there, in addition to the Super Bowl and NFC Championships, I think he deserves the right to do that for as long as possible. Rodgers isn't Peyton Manning. His body isn't breaking down. Worst case scenario is he still has 2 more years of top-level play in him, with a slow Brady-like decline. I think he could probably play until he's 40. As a Packers fan, I'm disgusted with the lack of communication they've had with him and with how they've wasted some of the best years of his career.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2021: Long-hauler Edition  
Jump to: