Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:49:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Star Wars Squadrons - Xwing Vs Tie Fighter plus 24 years maybe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars Squadrons - Xwing Vs Tie Fighter plus 24 years maybe  (Read 13867 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: June 19, 2020, 02:06:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCcfJ9uEwvs

The marketing seemed to be squarely aimed at people who remember Xwing and TIE fighter, and is copying the lines used on Fallen Order 'this is a whole game no gacha bullshit'. There are obvious compromises (only 5v5, only a handful of ships across 2 factions), but optimistically, maybe EA have worked out how to fund smaller games that they don't feel compelled to stuff with DLC.

It is on consoles, but no obvious compromises to that - it doesn't seem to be Rogue Squadron. They are promising HOTAS and VR support.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 02:15:51 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 03:33:41 PM

Consoles only?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 03:40:56 PM

It's on Origin/Steam/Epic.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 08:38:55 PM

With VR support, HOTAS support, and crossplay. There is apparently also semi-AI in the 5v5 mode ( am guessing you have a bit of control over a squadron)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 07:13:55 AM

They...they are promising.....wait.  What are they promising?  WHAT ARE THEY PROMISING.

I thought this was going to be some superficial multiplayer bullshit I could ignore.  Instead it might be the missing piece of my entire life.

I can play it without other people?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 07:51:26 PM

Yes. Supposed to have a full single player campaign. Also only costs 40 bucks. And i think i heard no microtransactions (but likely MP unlockables)
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 09:21:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCcfJ9uEwvs

The marketing seemed to be squarely aimed at people who remember Xwing and TIE fighter, and is copying the lines used on Fallen Order 'this is a whole game no gacha bullshit'. There are obvious compromises (only 5v5, only a handful of ships across 2 factions), but optimistically, maybe EA have worked out how to fund smaller games that they don't feel compelled to stuff with DLC.

It is on consoles, but no obvious compromises to that - it doesn't seem to be Rogue Squadron. They are promising HOTAS and VR support.

I saw all of that hype train BS and I left both presentations asking myself what exactly am I witnessing?  Is it actually X-wing vs Tie Fighter in that it has a robust single player game vs bots and objectives to complete with freedom to move and come up with your own strategy or is this a on the rails game?  No idea which it is because I couldn't tell if I was looking at in game footage or cut scenes.   I suspect it was pretty much all the latter.  I think EA really dropped the ball here.  They should have been a whole lot clearer on what the actual gameplay was.  That makes me really suspicious especially that low $40 price tag.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 09:23:01 PM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 01:33:55 AM

Pretty sure it is xwing vs tie fighter with a fig leaf single player (XvT had practically none), and limited to 5v5 multiplayer with very basic scenarios (XvT was 4v4), and limited to 8 ships (XvT had 11 after the expansion).  They've been clear in interviews it is not a rail shooter, it is not Rogue Squadron. It is fixed gun dogfighting.

So it is XvT, 24 years prettier, but not 24 years broader in scope. It looks fairly clear how EA have limited their ambition so they can put out an affordable box, cater to the specific dreams of XvT players, and still pay both the Disney and EA tribute.

This after Fallen order is making me hopeful EA have worked how to do smaller projects for people who like games, alongside the horseshit that they are better known for.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 01:42:33 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 09:51:16 AM

If they pull this off as well as they pulled off Fallen Order, maybe they'll start to figure out people are actually interested in this kind of stuff, not the bloviated bullshit they've been crapping out.

Now we can all have a hearty chuckle over that idea.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 03:59:40 PM

They...they are promising.....wait.  What are they promising?  WHAT ARE THEY PROMISING.

fly ... ship, ... lasers? possibly wars about stars
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 06:14:58 PM

So, this is fun.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 06:32:59 PM

Wait, is this out?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 06:54:23 PM

Yes, depending on where you are (still a couple of hours to go in Pacific Time).
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 07:51:44 PM

I'm visiting my mother so I won't be able to play until at least tomorrow afternoon. But it's supposed to go live midnight tonight wherever you may be.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 07:54:15 PM

fly ... ship, ... lasers? possibly wars about stars

well? well???
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 09:06:20 PM

I'm visiting my mother so I won't be able to play until at least tomorrow afternoon. But it's supposed to go live midnight tonight wherever you may be.
On Steam it was supposed to be Midnight Eastern Time for all of the US but the launch/unlock is somehow botched and the game shows as "Coming Soon" now.

Edit: looks like it will be available now if you reload page/restart Steam
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 09:10:53 PM by Trippy »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 11:43:50 PM

It is very much an XvT update as advertised.

So if that floats your boat. Is good.

There seems very little that wasn't in XvT. So the gameplay still isn't as good as say Freespace 2.

But there are tie fighters and xwings and it is a genre noone has made an especially interesting game in for 20 years.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 12:27:31 AM

This game looks terrible.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 12:39:47 AM

I have issues with it, but graphics are not it. Anyway, having fun.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 02, 2020, 11:28:24 AM

Is there anything to enjoy there for someone with terrible aim and reflexes? Like a Winston or Mei ship?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: October 02, 2020, 11:42:53 AM

Each side does have a support ship with heal / buff / debuff type abilities. Don’t have the game so can’t say how effective they are even if you don’t have good reflexes.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 12:57:09 PM

Is there anything to enjoy there for someone with terrible aim and reflexes? Like a Winston or Mei ship?

No. This is hard. I want to be good at it but I can't and so my answer is no. Overwatch made sure there was something for everyone. It's not the case here. This is twitchy combat and even with huge hitboxes, other players are just much better than us.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 04:22:57 PM

There is still enough fun in single player for the sticker price. For me at least.

But I can't help think twitch players won't get in to the level of complexity the game requires, while players who want either the nostalgia or the sim aspect are not going to appreciate the lack of variety and the over aggressive balancing. 

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 08:17:21 PM

Game's really fun for the little bit I've played so far.

I thankfully haven't run into the technical issues some have been having, on default settings.

I have had to do extensive rebinding on my HOTAS though, and I still have a bit of tweaking to do to get everything feeling completely solid, but I think it'll get there.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 03, 2020, 08:26:43 AM

Set your power changing setting to ADVANCED. Allows step changes in power instead of all or nothing.
Set your speed to step and step up at 25% like the old Xwing game.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 03, 2020, 08:42:09 AM

I got it yesterday but have had almost zero time to do anything with it other than take a quick look.  The VR part is indeed a issue.  Framerate really needs to be a lot better than what it is, and they have indeed fucked up the anti-aliasing (using frostbite pretty much guaranteed that), and that is almost a game breaker in VR.  It can be fiddled with, but not enough.  Sound is fucked up to.  It is muted a bit in normal mode, and waaaaay muted in VR.

I will probably let it sit in my inventory until a graphics patch comes.  Worse case, it looks fun in pancake mode, so no loss.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 04, 2020, 03:40:56 AM

Set your power changing setting to ADVANCED. Allows step changes in power instead of all or nothing.
Set your speed to step and step up at 25% like the old Xwing game.

Thankyou!

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 05, 2020, 02:19:32 AM

Bad News I'm afraid- https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/j4yi82/fleet_battle_creep_ai_leads_to_unwinnableunfun/?sort=confidence

Fleet battles are nothing but a MOBA that took all of 3 days to break and make unwinnable/unloseable. Comminity manager said.."oh thanks". Meaning they had NO IDEA this would happen.

I hate MOBA's. Looks like I'm playing squad battles.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 05, 2020, 05:27:17 AM

While this game is somehow missing the mark for me (meaning I am having fun, but I was expecting more. I am mostly depressed at the fact that I can't play well with the mouse), that piece of news doesn't bother me at all. I am sure the vast majority are in simply for the dogfights, and whatever the problems with fleet battles are they can be fixed quick. Regardless, gameplay makes or breaks a game for me over game modes.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 05, 2020, 08:04:43 AM

Apparently in VR, everything rendered outside of your cockpit is somehow locked at 60 fps, and it seems like just about everyone has this problem.  Including me.  It unfortunately makes it unplayable in VR.  Anything you hear to the contrary are almost guaranteed from people who do not notice massive reprojection or are otherwise using shitty headsets that normally work at that terrible framerate.

I will probably return, but will also almost certain re-purchase if they fix it.  I can sense the fun that is there to be had.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 05, 2020, 03:19:38 PM

Other issue I imagine players have with VR, is that outside your normal field of view the cockpit of a tie fighter is just blank walls.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #31 on: October 07, 2020, 06:31:51 PM

hi its me your resident flight sim expert. this game has some creative visual backdrops and a lot of attention to detail invested in a substantial number of setpieces but the initial flash (which wears off fast) can't cover up that the flight experience and model is subpar and was mechanically watered down to try to enforce balance between the ship classes and the story is unengaging because your character is a shoe-in setpiece who is talked at and does not substantially interface or engage with anyone.

this is made worse by that the entire production isn't ready for primetime and the current way the deadzone currently unfixably works makes this game pretty tepid to wrestle with, and substantively unfun if you're just using a mouse and keyboard, but (as usual) people will get used to M&K for the dramatic edge in multiplayer, as usual. also in VR it's just giving people brain-bending headaches because of framerate locks and the design and thought that went into the multiplayer modes was such a shoehorn that players basically 'solved' fleet battles within days

so in other words, it's the typical kinda unsatisfyingly thin experience of a EA franchise paint-by-numbers game production experience. mneh
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #32 on: October 10, 2020, 01:44:17 PM

wait i take it back. i found this game's alternate "privateer" mode and now i'm having an absolute blast
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 10, 2020, 06:07:47 PM

Also the deadzone issue was fixed.

The bad news is the devs said WE ARE NOT WORKING ON IT ANYMORE, despite the fleet battles being broken. Hopefully they fix that. No expansions though :(

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 11, 2020, 02:57:09 AM

Honestly I don't think expansions would help.

The game is constricted by the balance approach and console style design.

It's a bit over 30 of the most widely used currencies for something that probably only lasts a couple of weeks. I'm OK with that.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Star Wars Squadrons - Xwing Vs Tie Fighter plus 24 years maybe  
Jump to: