Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 250985 times)
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1085 on: March 22, 2021, 07:17:58 AM

Got my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine Saturday and other than being a bit tired and a sore arm I didn't really noticed anything. I checked my temperature a few times and I didn't have anything noticeable. Washington state recently opened vaccinations up to a larger group and as of March 31st they are opening it up for even more.

The local mass clinic was extremely well run and from pulling in the parking lot to pulling out of the parking lot it took about 25 minutes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1086 on: March 22, 2021, 09:35:23 AM

NY DoH just opened up vaccinations to 50+

Despite my neighbor complaining about her favorite bar being open only one night a week, she still won't get vaccinated after I told her they were opening another night for folks with vax records. I was sure it would push her off the fence, her hobby is getting drunk. She's been eligible since day 1 (she's a public-facing food service employee with the school district). "I'll get it when I'm ready." Bitch, what you waitin' for?

We also have a VH guy thats does part-time maintenance. Makes you real confident he's taking his sanitization duties seriously. His other gig is the inter-library delivery driver. So he visits three counties and touches thousands of items every day. What the hell.

Today marks the old lady's first day of 'full immunity' (3 wks out from her 2nd pfizer). Friday I get my 2nd pfizer. We're focusing on that and not the people who are bringing their 2020 stupidity along for the ride into the future. Fuck those people, tbqh.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1087 on: March 22, 2021, 12:01:43 PM

Tucson is now open to everyone 16 and older.  Thumbs up! I hope the hesitancy/fuck-you-science population is a fairly small one, but I should know better.  Would be nice if the Little League coaches/volunteers got vaccinated to remove another possible infection vector for my son.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1088 on: March 22, 2021, 01:27:29 PM

I got my second jab of the Pfizer shot last Thursday. Felt a little sore and tired that night. Woke up Friday morning expecting to go to work and was like "Fuck no." Spent most of the day assuming the fetal position and waiting for the sweet release of death.

By Saturday, I felt fine.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1089 on: March 22, 2021, 10:54:55 PM

I got my second jab of the Pfizer shot last Thursday. Felt a little sore and tired that night. Woke up Friday morning expecting to go to work and was like "Fuck no." Spent most of the day assuming the fetal position and waiting for the sweet release of death.

By Saturday, I felt fine.

It's "funny" how fast the vaccine can put you through the symptoms again. The day I got mine (and as I had been warned) I got sick fast, with a repeat of the onset symptoms I had with the real thing. I was all ready to just wrap up in a blanket and catch up on some more Disney+ for the next couple of days, but then after a few hours I felt fine again. I was actually a little disappointed.

They tell me my second shot should have no ill effects, so that's cool I guess.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1090 on: March 27, 2021, 08:24:30 AM

Had my 2nd pfizer dose yesterday. I'm concerned about the turnout for the second dose. For the first dose, there were lines at every interaction, place was absolutely packed, took me over 3 hours from getting out of the FJ to getting back in to go home. Yesterday, no lines, just walked in, did the paperwork, got the jab, 15 minute observation (in an almost empty event center), walked out, about 25 minutes from FJ to FJ.

Feels a lot like people are skipping the 2nd shot here. Similar reports this morning from the 2nd vax site for this large county batch, so not an anomaly.

Kicked a lot harder this time. 1st time was just a sore shoulder in the evening, gone in about 30 hours. This time I had a hard wave of fever and nausea 5 hours in, which passed in about an hour. Then about 12 hours in, shoulder started getting sore and lethargy waves hit. Whole delt was just kicking like crazy and I had a weird nausea/acid stomach thing, so I slept in fits, getting up at least once an hour to hydrate and take a mild antacid...12 hours of fitful naps later, shoulder still a little sore but I'm probably through the woods.

That was...unpleasant. Happy that's over! Now my family circle is done, just waiting for me to hit my 2 weeks post-2nd shot. It's been a long damn road to get here, but none of us ended up infected, so that's nice. Going to have a heck of a grilling party in a couple weeks!

As a side note, our boss has fostered a culture of martyrdom that the old lady and I do not ascribe to....every other person getting their 2nd shot has tried to come back to work. I said fuck that and took the afternoon off to rest (and maybe play Valheim ofc), very glad I did. Because everyone else either suffered through at work (shitty service, thanks) or ended up going home (meaning someone had to scramble to cover their shift). Cult of martyrdom is stupid.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1091 on: March 27, 2021, 11:48:54 AM

In places where the rate of vaccination is increasing, more people will be getting the first jab on any given day than there will be people getting their second.  You'd also expect that second jabs will be high priority and scheduled/allocated far in advance, which should translate to shorter lines.

I'm counting down the days until I'm eligible for my first jab.  (19.)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1092 on: March 27, 2021, 09:39:53 PM

It's a special county event, 1 day each at 3 locations, fri/sat/sun. Your 2nd appointment is made on the spot, it's exactly the same time and day. I saw the guy who was ahead of me in line last time, everyone I work with had the same time slot. Wasn't any wiggle room, you had to get your second on the day the event was happening.

I'd say turnout was at best 10% of the 1st injection.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1093 on: March 28, 2021, 06:42:45 AM

Had my first vaguely connected brush with the shit end of Covid yesterday. Friend of mine has been real busy giving moral support to a friend of his whose 33 year old wife just died of it a week after getting diagnosed. Shit really sucks as she didn't have any underlying health conditions and her husband is now dealing with that and looking after his 18 month old son while in self-isolation because of exposure to a confirmed Covid case. Apparently she was feeling standard ill but because of the low risk factors was just at home. They weren't aware her O2 levels were plummeting until it was really serious and she had just deteriorated too much by the time they got her to hospital.

They weren't anyone I knew but it's a bit of a shock considering the vaccine roll out in the UK and the general lack of reporting on deaths/cases still going on. The situation was feeling pretty near done to me and it just seems cosmically unfair to her family.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1094 on: March 28, 2021, 11:56:50 AM

Those seem to be the really horrible cases--the person is feeling "well, this is just a flu, I'll deal, no special reason to worry" and then very abruptly they're in mortal danger and it's already too late.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1095 on: March 28, 2021, 02:33:43 PM

I'm counting down the days until I'm eligible for my first jab.  (19.)

One of the places I waitlisted for a while back texted me this morning to let me know they'd added me to their eligible pool and I could sign up for an appointment with them.  I get the J&J on Tuesday!  Feels like waiting to open a big present on Christmas morning, even if the present is full of body aches.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1096 on: March 28, 2021, 03:11:15 PM

Whoo got vaccinated.

Our pharmacy is running a list for people who are not yet eligible to book but can get to the store quickly to take spare doses that would otherwise go to waste. Got the call this evening and had a needle stuck into me 8 minutes later.

From what I can tell a lot of vaccination centres in the UK are now doing this but not advertising it to avoid being overrun, heard of a number of people who've been getting vaccinated quickly this way.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1097 on: March 28, 2021, 04:18:09 PM

I am hearing the same about pharmacies and pharma desks in supermarkets in the US--they have a list but they aren't (yet) advertising it.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1098 on: March 28, 2021, 07:09:15 PM

I suggested to my sister that she go to the Vaccination center and ask could she get a dose  left over from a No show, and she poo poohed it saying "Oh everyone will be doing that." I think I should suggest it again.

No real problems for me bar some arm pain and a lot of fatigue. My blood sugars went a bit apeshit as well. 12 weeks till Astra Zenika No 2. My mother got her dose of Pfeiser yesterday, and she is 4 weeks to Jab 2.

Hic sunt dracones.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1099 on: March 28, 2021, 07:48:20 PM

Whoo got vaccinated.

Our pharmacy is running a list for people who are not yet eligible to book but can get to the store quickly to take spare doses that would otherwise go to waste. Got the call this evening and had a needle stuck into me 8 minutes later.

From what I can tell a lot of vaccination centres in the UK are now doing this but not advertising it to avoid being overrun, heard of a number of people who've been getting vaccinated quickly this way.
I'm signed up on a few lists, and Texas goes to 16+ tomorrow. Hoping soon.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1100 on: March 29, 2021, 06:27:54 AM

I may be biased here, but see if your local library has their shit together. We tend to have announcements in real-time for new sites or appt blocks opening up. Basically we've been in signup/lobby/info mode since the first batches hit the Empire State. But not all libraries are as diligent, so ymwdv.

Lots of appointments we're making for our usual 1-3 day out windows already have appointments weeks out or are on various lists. By far the most effective thing, especially for those unsure if they're eligible (or looking for a legal loophole) is getting a hold of a good library in the area (we can cover several counties before our info starts getting sketchy).

One of those times that I'm incredibly proud of what we do, while simultaneously frustrated that people continue to not know about it and forget that we're not book warehouses, we're information and literacy agencies.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1101 on: March 29, 2021, 07:18:16 AM

I may be biased here, but see if your local library has their shit together. We tend to have announcements in real-time for new sites or appt blocks opening up. Basically we've been in signup/lobby/info mode since the first batches hit the Empire State. But not all libraries are as diligent, so ymwdv.

Lots of appointments we're making for our usual 1-3 day out windows already have appointments weeks out or are on various lists. By far the most effective thing, especially for those unsure if they're eligible (or looking for a legal loophole) is getting a hold of a good library in the area (we can cover several counties before our info starts getting sketchy).

One of those times that I'm incredibly proud of what we do, while simultaneously frustrated that people continue to not know about it and forget that we're not book warehouses, we're information and literacy agencies.

Funny this. There is a local library a block away from our apt and my wife is a library junkie. One of the first things she did was get her library card online when we got here in Sept. They were closed until earlier this year and moved to only having I think 10 patrons allowed inside at a given time. Then in 2 or 3 hour rotations, they closed the library to clean it before reopening for the next group of patrons that signed up. My wife went once and was very pleased with how they were handling it. Granted, it is one library...but hopefully this is standard practice at the other ones in the area. We walked up there yesterday to return some of her books and noticed they now have an installed series of lockers outside the main entrance that you can punch a code to get in and out of with a 24 hour limit sign... pretty much a package concierge locker system that apartment complexes have for amazon and other deliveries. 

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1102 on: March 30, 2021, 08:03:06 AM

Maybe it’s just me but every time I’m outside now I’ll get to a point where I just want to murder people. I no longer know how to cope with the situation.

Everywhere I go there’s people who will rage-tell you that “the government doesn’t do enough to stop Covid!” yet who can’t even be bothered to wear their masks correctly or follow any of the Covid protocols. People who completely absolved themselves of any personal responsibility for fighting this since it should be the magical - run by Hogwarts- government who should “just do their jobs”. Everyone has suddenly turned into an omniscient Covid expert who can and will tell you exactly what they would have done if they ran the government why everyone in charge is incompetent except them.

It’s spring and right now there’s hundreds of people outside in the parks of my city acting as if we’re not currently in the middle of a third Covid wave.

...and I really have to control my desire to simply go around and murder each and everyone of them.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1103 on: March 30, 2021, 09:51:36 AM

That was me last summer when I was the only person I could see wearing a fucking mask.

Its also me Today. Yes I'm wearing my mask after getting vaccinated as I give a fuck. Look upon the masses of maskless and despair

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1104 on: March 30, 2021, 12:45:06 PM

I'm about a week away from that on current trends.

We're in a good place in the cycle right now in the UK, but it still means 5000 people testing positive a day and people are acting like they were at the height of last August's stupidity.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1105 on: April 02, 2021, 09:45:32 AM

Had two really crappy weeks, so it was a sunshine moment that I got the Moderna vaccine:

They are following the max 28 day interval strictly, so next appointment around 19. April

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1106 on: April 02, 2021, 09:52:02 AM

Maybe it’s just me but every time I’m outside now I’ll get to a point where I just want to murder people. I no longer know how to cope with the situation.

It’s spring and right now there’s hundreds of people outside in the parks of my city acting as if we’re not currently in the middle of a third Covid wave.

Isn't that partly because from several sources it was said that the outdoor infection risk is very slim and most infections occur at workplace or with family?

And just focus on yourself and your health. You can't fix other people.

Do you work in a job in which you have to deal with the Covid fallout?

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1107 on: April 02, 2021, 04:56:33 PM

Isn't that partly because from several sources it was said that the outdoor infection risk is very slim and most infections occur at workplace or with family?

And just focus on yourself and your health. You can't fix other people.

Do you work in a job in which you have to deal with the Covid fallout?

No I’ve just been stuck in my small apartment since January of last year and I’m just done with everything and everyone. I’m at a point where I absolutely despise just going outside
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1108 on: April 02, 2021, 05:41:07 PM

There's a book I like that's about how communities come together in disasters (counter to our typical assumption that everything will be a Hobbsean nightmare) and how governments often fuck shit up worse once they show up. The author agrees that doesn't always happen, it's not that simple, but it seems like a valid thought. And then here we are: the thing about the pandemic is that it has forced us to not support one another. Nobody's been able to give loving care for deeply sick family members, people have had to die alone, we've had to stay isolated from people we care for, we don't have those unintentional small conversations that let you really know where people are at, we're all stuck in routine. Everything looks the same and nothing's the same. This interrupts every good impulse people have about how to support one another in bad times.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1109 on: April 02, 2021, 05:53:37 PM

It’s not that. It’s realizing that this could all have been a lot easier, a lot fewer people could have died and we could have had fewer restrictions for less time if people  would have just accepted and adhered to a few minor inconveniences. Like keeping distance or wearing masks or not fucking off to Mallorca the first opportunity they get or not suing quarantine measures out of existence.

Instead what we’re seeing is people absolutely losing their shit and throwing temper tantrums even a three year old would be embarrassed about just because of inconsequential inconveniences.

All of the challenges we‘re about to face will require to accept changes to our lifestyle and will inconvenience us and we’re all gone die, as a species, because people would rather everyone dies than be inconvenienced even just a little bit.

Then once the consequences of their actions hit they cry for their governments to fix shit for them and then get absolutely stark raving mad on e they realize that a government is not a cabal of magical all powerful beings that just need to snap things into existence.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1110 on: April 02, 2021, 05:56:09 PM

We westerners have an infantile notion of everything. It’s me, me, me and when we fuck things up we cry and run back to mommy and daddy state and expect them to bail us out like we’re some sort of trust fund kid which ran over a kid while drunk driving and still wants to be admitted to Harcard.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1111 on: April 02, 2021, 06:19:58 PM

Last year around May or June it actually for a moment felt like we’re all in this together, there was still a wave of optimism and the lockdown had unlocked a lot of creative energy it almost seemed like a possibility that this could lead to some sort of lasting change. Naive I know but it felt that way.

Now we’re back to ‚it is my god given right to expose everyone else to the possibility of a horrifying and lonely death as long as I can waste money on this shit chain restaurant food and waste my time in bad clubs listening to shit music and paying too much money for sub par alcohol.

Which is why it’s now 3:30 am on Good Friday and I’m sitting here writing unabomber style diatribes on a gaming forum because I can’t sleep and can’t even get myself shit faced drunk because none of the liquor stores are open.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1112 on: April 02, 2021, 07:47:55 PM

Wish I could say something. Hope letting it out helps. Else pot or drinking might not be bad idea. As you said, get shit faced and stop caring about the state of the world for a few hours.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1113 on: April 02, 2021, 07:55:11 PM

I have to admit that I'm struggling to keep up a good "public face" too. That's odd for me, since, to be absolutely frank, I've seen a lot of examples of just how low humanity in general and in specific can sink, and I thought I was immune to it.

But just like I wasn't immune to the virus, I wasn't immune to coming down with a strong case of, well, barely concealed Elitism is really the only way to describe it.

Christ, I just realized I'm becoming Schild...

awesome, for real
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1114 on: April 03, 2021, 02:38:16 AM

We are all... Schild...

Hic sunt dracones.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1115 on: April 03, 2021, 05:30:02 AM

I could watch Babylon 5 again
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1116 on: April 03, 2021, 07:44:38 AM

I could watch Babylon 5 again

Come to think of it, Kosh's "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote." feels very apropos to climate change.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1117 on: April 09, 2021, 02:41:36 PM

Pfizer and BioNTech Request Regulatory Agencies Expand Emergency Use of Their COVID-19 Vaccine to Adolescents
NEW YORK and MAINZ, GERMANY, April 9, 2021 — Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today requested amendments to the U.S. Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine (BNT162b2) to expand the use in adolescents 12 to 15 years of age. The companies plan to request similar rulings by other regulatory authorities worldwide in coming days. These requests are based on data from the pivotal Phase 3 trial in adolescents 12 to 15 years of age with or without prior evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection, which demonstrated 100 percent efficacy and robust antibody response after vaccination with the COVID-19 Vaccine.

The Phase 3 trial with adolescents went very well and the results were announced at the end of March:
The trial enrolled 2,260 adolescents 12 to 15 years of age in the United States. In the trial, 18 cases of COVID-19 were observed in the placebo group (n=1,129) versus none in the vaccinated group (n=1,131). Vaccination with BNT162b2 elicited SARS-CoV-2–neutralizing antibody geometric mean titers (GMTs) of 1,239.5, demonstrating strong immunogenicity in a subset of adolescents one month after the second dose. This compares well (was non-inferior) to GMTs elicited by participants aged 16 to 25 years old (705.1 GMTs) in an earlier analysis. Further, BNT162b2 administration was well tolerated, with side effects generally consistent with those observed in participants 16 to 25 years of age.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1118 on: April 10, 2021, 01:14:33 AM

Finally getting a Moderna shot in about a week. Took way too damn long to get vaccines here, considering we are semi-front line workers without quick access to US-tier healthcare in the case of infection.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1119 on: April 10, 2021, 05:59:21 AM

https://twitter.com/justinjm1/status/1380684226496970756

Justin Miller
@justinjm1
·
12h
Detroit-area hospital is out of ventilators tonight for Covid patients, a source tells me. Michigan has almost as many people hospitalized now as the peak last April. It's very bad.

More on the crush of patients and the exhaustion of hospital workers, who aren't getting the support they had a year ago

https://t.co/igWgTbx8Ex?amp=1

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: