Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:04:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 250927 times)
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1015 on: December 29, 2020, 04:23:11 AM

My daughter received the first dose of the Moderna vaccine last week. No issues to report which is always a good thing.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1016 on: December 30, 2020, 10:52:45 AM

Tested positive for covid just before Christmas.

Only symptoms were a mild cough and recently acid reflux. Which is kind of interesting since I came down with something back in the April peak and them suffered reflux for months afterward.

Always suspected whatever I had in April was the covids - but testing was basically not available then, wheras now I can get a PCR swab at the end of my road any day I need it. I wouldn't even have bothered with a test and stayed blissfully unaware this time if they weren't so easy to get now.

Rest of the family is still testing negative. Though here in north London 2% of the community have it at any one time now and horror of horrors they are talking about school closures again.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1017 on: January 22, 2021, 04:43:18 PM

Got vaccinated. IT fuckup in Tucson meant they had lots of vaccines but no appointments for about a 4 hour window.  Easy peasy.

-Rasix
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1018 on: January 27, 2021, 07:57:09 AM

So I googled this and it's surprisingly hard to find the information.  I've read that hospitals have tested the surfaces in the rooms of covid patients and find no trace it the virus, indicating that it dies pretty quick outside the human body.

Do we actually know how long the virus lives on surfaces?  If you are wearing a mask and the mask filters some virus, how long does it last on the mask?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1019 on: January 27, 2021, 10:02:26 AM

So I googled this and it's surprisingly hard to find the information.  I've read that hospitals have tested the surfaces in the rooms of covid patients and find no trace it the virus, indicating that it dies pretty quick outside the human body.

Do we actually know how long the virus lives on surfaces?  If you are wearing a mask and the mask filters some virus, how long does it last on the mask?
Your Google-fu is pretty bad if you can't find research on this subject. Something as basic as "how long does covid-19 live on surfaces" won't necessarily give you direct links to the original research papers but will give you lots of articles that link to the papers such as:

NEJM: Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1 (probably the most cited paper)

Lancet: Stability of SARS-CoV-2 in different environmental conditions (this one includes tests on face masks)

Virology Journal: The effect of temperature on persistence of SARS-CoV-2 on common surfaces (these tests were done "in the dark" to eliminate UV degradation since they were only interested in the impact of temperature)

The bigger question, which is hard to find good answers to, is whether or not you can get an transmissible infection from surface contact alone. So far that risk appears to be very very low. I.e. people who are getting transmissible infections do not appear to be getting it through surface contact. So it's not needed to constantly wipe down surfaces, handle takeout containers like they are made out of radium, etc. unless you are in a high-infection area like a hospital.

Edit: I think I meant symptomatic rather than transmissible
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:10:59 AM by Trippy »
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1020 on: January 27, 2021, 10:20:53 AM

Yea I am terrible at the google.  Thanks!

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1021 on: January 27, 2021, 11:29:30 AM

Holy shitballs the old lady got an appointment for vax for her mom TOMORROW MORNING.

The site has been either buggy or filled by the time she's filled out this particular form, many times in the past couple weeks, and a coworker who was also filling it out got a 503 error at the same time.

PHEW at least we can continue to keep ourselves locked down and safe with a bit more ease of mind, despite the terrible people around us. I have another update for the counterpart thread in the basement....
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1022 on: February 08, 2021, 11:01:34 AM

Welp, got my first dose scheduled for Wednesday morning through my job.  My manager had this this morning, so I suspect it's the people who were originally approved for my employer's next phase of employees to return to the office which was supposed to happen last November, before Illinois started blowing up again.  No idea which variety I'll get yet, so it'll be a *surprise*!

Husband is mildly jealous that I'm getting mine before him (he's far more at risk than I am) but hey, employer's coordinating all this for me.  It probably means that I'll be back in the office at least part time around the end of Q1.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1023 on: February 08, 2021, 11:10:34 AM

My parents got their 1st dose few days ago in NJ.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1024 on: February 08, 2021, 06:18:12 PM

Yeah, my parents got their first shot last week in MS. I still can't even get on the schedule for mine.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1025 on: February 08, 2021, 06:22:46 PM

My mom at 80 got hers in a way that outrages me for my country and pleases me for her--her own health system was telling her sorry lady we have no idea, so her friends in the other major hospital system told her to call their hospital system and they were like oh yeah we got fucktons of it for you 80 year old lady come on down tomorrow, it's unlimited Moderna, we're bathing in it. So she went down tomorrow and got it and she's got her follow-up scheduled and it's no hay problema.

That is fucking crazy. It's not even about power or money or anything as coherent as that. It's one hospital system saying "oh yeah" like the Kool-Aid man and the other saying "we have never heard of this vaccine, plz to tell us what you are asking for". And the second system is otherwise a prestige system that gets asstons of federal money and has high ratings and is the place that powerful people go to for elective surgeries and so on. So yeah, we've managed to fuck this up special bad.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1026 on: February 08, 2021, 10:05:44 PM

My mom at 80 got hers in a way that outrages me for my country and pleases me for her--her own health system was telling her sorry lady we have no idea, so her friends in the other major hospital system told her to call their hospital system and they were like oh yeah we got fucktons of it for you 80 year old lady come on down tomorrow, it's unlimited Moderna, we're bathing in it. So she went down tomorrow and got it and she's got her follow-up scheduled and it's no hay problema.

That is fucking crazy. It's not even about power or money or anything as coherent as that. It's one hospital system saying "oh yeah" like the Kool-Aid man and the other saying "we have never heard of this vaccine, plz to tell us what you are asking for". And the second system is otherwise a prestige system that gets asstons of federal money and has high ratings and is the place that powerful people go to for elective surgeries and so on. So yeah, we've managed to fuck this up special bad.
Not surprising. Kaiser, the largest HMO in the San Francisco Bay Area, ran into vaccine shortages and had to cancel appointments, but some / most of the other hospital systems in the area didn't have the same issue, leading to a lot of confusion. My county, Santa Clara County, said enough is enough and announced recently that those 65 and older can get the vaccine at any vaccination site regardless of who their insurance is with.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1027 on: February 09, 2021, 10:31:09 AM

Yeah, we've been told April earliest for our group (1C) from our healthcare system, our county has no clue, just sign up please, and my employer came through for me alone out of the blue (I got the email for appointments on Monday to schedule for Wednesday).

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1028 on: February 09, 2021, 11:27:39 AM

It is BONKERS that your employer even has any input into the decision.  I mean, good for your.  But BONKERS.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1029 on: February 09, 2021, 12:15:56 PM

US national policy on covid has been essentially set by employers all along. What fascinates me is that they aren't completely outraged by it, but I guess it's the same reason that many of them are indifferent to the idea of single-payer health care despite the fact that it would transfer an enormous cost burden back to the US government--they understand that being the only way to get health care (or now a vaccine) is ultimately an important tool for retaining employees who might otherwise look for a better compensation package or better working conditions.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1030 on: February 10, 2021, 01:24:37 AM

The new COVID variants have scared our politicians so much that Germany will extend our current lockdown until middle of March.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1031 on: February 11, 2021, 06:43:27 AM

It is BONKERS that your employer even has any input into the decision.  I mean, good for your.  But BONKERS.

Our employers and the politicians they donate to are the reason the US hasn't had any significant national lockdown. FOR THE ECONOMIEZ (you must be sacrificed - it's in the fine print of your contract).

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1032 on: February 11, 2021, 10:02:26 AM

?? - I'm confused.  My employer is handling getting all their employees (and contractors, if I read it right) vaccinated, so they have the space set up on campus to bring people in to get the shots.  I'm certainly not complaining because my freaking county and healthcare org aren't moving too quickly.  Hell, employer has said they'll eventually do family members as well, not sure on that timeline but if they can get my husband vaccinated quicker than the county/healthcare?  I'm all for it.  Biopharma bosses FTW! (No, employer doesn't even do vaccines, so that isn't a factor either).

Our employers and the politicians they donate to are the reason the US hasn't had any significant national lockdown. FOR THE ECONOMIEZ (you must be sacrificed - it's in the fine print of your contract).

Yeah, if the government hadn't been run by a fucking narcissistic orange asshole so damn stingy about helping actual people, it might have been easier for everyone overall.  I will say my employer sent everyone home back in March, unless you were unable to physically work from home (manufacturing, labs/scientists) and have kept everyone there since.  We were going to do a phased returned to office back in October for people willing to return, but then Illinois blew up again and they stopped it.  I think with the vaccines that'll start up again at the end of Q1 but they are being cautious overall, which is nice to know.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1033 on: February 11, 2021, 10:10:50 AM

Here’s California’s plan right now:

https://covid19.ca.gov/vaccines/#California's-vaccination-plan

Basically if you aren’t 65 or older or not in one of the essential workers categories listed in phase 1A and 1B you shouldn’t be getting the vaccine no matter what your employer might want.

Most other states have similar phased distribution schedules in place. That’s why Cyrrex thinks it’s crazy your employer is able to distribute the vaccine to whom it’ sees fit.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1034 on: February 11, 2021, 10:14:38 AM

Well, in Philadelphia, the city gave a bunch of vaccines to untrained 18-22 year old "entrepreneurs" from Drexel University, who proceeded to fuck up their one attempt at vaccinating elderly people and who then went off and vaccinated themselves at a party and photographed themselves doing it on Snapchat. So giving vaccine to employers is at least less crazy than doing that.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1035 on: February 11, 2021, 11:11:19 AM

?? - I'm confused.  My employer is handling getting all their employees (and contractors, if I read it right) vaccinated, so they have the space set up on campus to bring people in to get the shots.  I'm certainly not complaining because my freaking county and healthcare org aren't moving too quickly.  Hell, employer has said they'll eventually do family members as well, not sure on that timeline but if they can get my husband vaccinated quicker than the county/healthcare?  I'm all for it.  Biopharma bosses FTW! (No, employer doesn't even do vaccines, so that isn't a factor either).

I absolutely do not begrudge you for getting it.  My statement is wholly on the idea that any employer has any power to decide.  I am a little surprised if you do not see the reason for that.  There is a pretty well established methodology for rolling out vaccine in a country, and it sure as shit does not include anything about who your employer is unless you work in medical care of some kind.

So yeah.  Your employer having any say in the matter is utterly insane.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1036 on: February 11, 2021, 11:32:48 AM

Even in a hospital there's supposed to a be a priority list -- i.e. not everybody will/would be able to get it immediately. Stanford Medical Center made the news for fucking up their internal vaccine distribution plans twice in December.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/stanford-medicine-again-accused-of-bungling-vaccination-program
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1037 on: February 11, 2021, 11:38:23 AM

Having 50 different sets of guidelines for who gets a vaccine and when, without any sort of real guidance with teeth is the insane part. Allowing private industry to ensure their workers are vaccinated is only slightly less crazy than that because at least the private industry has a vested fucking interest in not fucking it up and making sure their people are protected. The problem isn't that private industry does it, it's that they feel they have to because the government has shit the bed on everything about this virus for the last year.

That's not even getting into the politics of our patchwork, schizo private for profit healthcare system, which has only exacerbated our previously shitty response.

In short, private industry had the ability to make vaccine choices because AMURCA and FREEDOM and FREE MARKRETS or some shit.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1038 on: February 12, 2021, 07:20:00 AM

The dad in FLA got his first dose yesterday, the old lady has an appointment set up, her mom gets her second dose next week, and my mom just got an appointment for today. I'm really hoping she shows up, she's trying to wiggle out of it. I suspect the influence of religious social media   Ohhhhh, I see.

So then there's just me, the young, healthy one  DRILLING AND MANLINESS I was checking exceptions and obesity as calculated by the silly BMI system is on the list. So I check and I'm at 29.3/30 needed.

Now I have a mad plan to eat dozens of cheeseburgers to qualify for the shot and I feel like Kramer.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1039 on: February 12, 2021, 09:41:19 AM

lulz
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1040 on: February 12, 2021, 12:28:46 PM

Today we learned my grilling can overcome social media misinformation! I mentioned to my mom that attendance to my grilling season events were conditional on being vaccinated  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

She got her first shot an hour ago!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1041 on: February 12, 2021, 12:30:41 PM

Nice social engineering job.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1042 on: February 14, 2021, 05:32:50 AM

Today we learned my grilling can overcome social media misinformation! I mentioned to my mom that attendance to my grilling season events were conditional on being vaccinated  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

We have found access to grandchildren works the same way.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:08:36 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1043 on: February 14, 2021, 07:50:01 AM

That would be a major medical miracle, right there.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1044 on: February 14, 2021, 09:07:08 AM

Today we learned my grilling can overcome social media misinformation! I mentioned to my mom that attendance to my grilling season events were conditional on being vaccinated  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

We have found access to grandchildren works the same way.

This is going to be what happens across the board. 99.99% of the people will cave the moment that not having a vaccine prevents them from getting their hair cut or going to a bar.  the other .01% will post on Facebook and it will be a major news story.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1045 on: February 14, 2021, 09:35:43 AM

So far here in the UK we're reporting well over 90% takeup so far - way higher than generally expected, and higher than the proportion who told pollsters they'd accept the vaccine.

There is something in this worth investigating about why people are unusually willing to listen to objective truth and ignore idiots on this subject.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 09:58:37 AM by eldaec »

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1046 on: February 14, 2021, 02:09:13 PM

So far here in the UK we're reporting well over 90% takeup so far - way higher than generally expected, and higher than the proportion who told pollsters they'd accept the vaccine.

There is something in this worth investigating about why people are unusually willing to listen to objective truth and ignore idiots on this subject.

My UK cousin's husband, after a year of posting conspiracy theories about vaccines and claiming the virus is a myth, has moved on to complaining about "chestfeeding" and loudly posting the word "breast" (oh and "cunt" for good measure) because he feels it's all censorship gone too far. [Snopes informs me that a UK hospital introduced "chestfeeding" as an additional acceptable term alongside breastfeeding, to be more inclusive of gay and trans parents, and nothing has been censored or replaced]

I suspect that once your parents and grandparents are being vaccinated for their own safety and you realise you want this to happen, you STFU about vaccine myths.

[Edit: I find him a pleasant and even kindhearted person and have enjoyed hanging out with him; it's only on FB that it's become apparent what is going on in his mind]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 02:43:09 PM by Tale »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1047 on: February 14, 2021, 02:52:44 PM

titnozzling just never took off
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1048 on: February 14, 2021, 03:17:50 PM

That story was specifically about Brighton, which has an estimated 15% LBGTQ population.

So as you would expect they tend to make more of effort than most on inclusive language, occasionally with amusing results.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1049 on: February 15, 2021, 08:41:12 AM

i've already basically cast the devils out of family but someone who doesn't want a vaccine would get completely nuked, there'd be no negotiation

stupid spreads, and it won't spread here
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: