Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:51:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 251020 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #980 on: November 23, 2020, 01:09:56 PM

Oxford announces results of their vaccine Phase III trial results:

https://www.research.ox.ac.uk/Article/2020-11-23-oxford-university-breakthrough-on-global-covid-19-vaccine

* Phase 3 interim analysis including 131 Covid-19 cases indicates that the vaccine is 70.4% effective when combining data from two dosing regimens
* In the two different dose regimens vaccine efficacy was 90% in one and 62% in the other
* Higher efficacy regimen used a halved first dose and standard second dose
* Early indication that vaccine could reduce virus transmission from an observed reduction in asymptomatic infections
* There were no hospitalised or severe cases in anyone who received the vaccine
* Large safety database from over 24,000 volunteers from clinical trials in the UK, Brazil and South Africa, with follow up since April
* Crucially, vaccine can be easily administered in existing healthcare systems, stored at ‘fridge temperature’ (2-8 °C) and distributed using existing logistics
* Large scale manufacturing ongoing in over 10 countries to support equitable global access

For reasons not understood yet (though there are hypotheses) it was the treatment plan with with a half dose first dose and a full dose second dose that was the 90% effective one rather than the one with both at full doses. Also not sure what the "breakthrough" in the title is supposed to be since it's never referred to in the actual press release text.

They also conveniently left out the fact that the carrier adenovirus is from chimpanzees and extracted from their poop. awesome, for real

Assuming the 90% effectiveness result holds up (the group getting the half dose + full dose treatment was significant smaller than the full dose x2 group) the advantages of this vaccine compared to the mRNA ones is that it's much cheaper to manufacturer right now (~US$2.50/dose vs ~US$25.00/dose for the mRNA versions) as adenovirus vector vaccines have been in use for a while and are well understood, and are easier to store.

Analysis from Derek Lowe: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/11/23/oxford-az-vaccine-efficacy-data
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #981 on: November 23, 2020, 01:27:40 PM

The side effects part seems less worrisome than the fact that people who get it, no matter how much they're told to be cautious, are going to act as if they're invulnerable. If they're still capable of spreading it--or if it's a short-term immunity--things could get even worse after the first major wave of vaccination, paradoxically. But if there are side effects, then all vaccination may be in danger in the future. This is incredibly high stakes.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #982 on: November 23, 2020, 03:48:31 PM

The oxford vaccine being found to work with reasonable efficacy bodes well for the J&J vaccine which is going to be the real game changer in terms of stopping the pandemic around the world.

Single dose, no special handling compared to vaccines already widely used, massive phase III trial with a considerably more robust criteria for efficacy.

I can tell you what, if I am given the choice I am taking the Oxford (or any other non mRNA) vaccine.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #983 on: November 23, 2020, 06:10:23 PM

So the new hotness is getting a COVID test and negative result - that is your ticket to not having to wear a mask. Honest to god heard a person actually say that today at the store. Perhaps with is an evolutionary event rather than just a pandemic.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #984 on: November 23, 2020, 08:06:15 PM

I appeared to be the only sick person in the line today for testing and we waited 30 minutes with 100+ others. I suspect most are getting tested so they can travel for the holidays.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #985 on: November 27, 2020, 07:54:21 PM

Kinda looks like the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine results need to be read with a boulder of salt.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #986 on: November 27, 2020, 08:02:01 PM

Kinda looks like the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine results need to be read with a boulder of salt.

I dunno. While their stuff being strange due to different doses is concerning but they actually tested their subjects for COVID regularly whereas the mRNA guys only had people “report symptoms” and even the 62% number that was the low number from Oxford is above the minimum 50% efficacy requirement by regulators. And their vaccine is the only one so far that appears to have an impact on transmission. Also it is less than a tenth the price of the mRNA stuff a dose and doesn’t require any special handling compared to normal vaccines used everywhere.

The “miracle over 90%” numbers should be taken with at least as much salt as the Oxford/AstraZeneca one.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #987 on: November 27, 2020, 09:42:55 PM

I'm wise enough to know that by the time my ass can get any sort of vaccine, a whole bunch of other guinea pigs while have beta tested this shit for me.

schild
Administrator

Reply #988 on: November 29, 2020, 08:38:21 AM

I'm wise enough to know that by the time my ass can get any sort of vaccine, a whole bunch of other guinea pigs while have beta tested this shit for me.

Not on a long enough timeline. We need to see what real countries have approved in the next few weeks, rather than the US.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #989 on: December 01, 2020, 11:52:33 PM

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #990 on: December 02, 2020, 12:32:46 AM

Personally waiting for a vaccine approved by a non-facist right-winged government, thanks.

Actually I don't know what the process is like in the UK nor what levers the government there can apply.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #991 on: December 02, 2020, 01:40:04 AM

I'm on day 12 of this mess. I can technically go back to work now, but my doc wrote a note that says next Monday. It seemed to appease HR so that's good. My wife and I both ultimately tested positive; our daughter never got sick and tested negative. Also good.

I'm having 2-3 good days with fair energy, followed by a bad 1-2 days with lots of coughing and sleeping 12+ hours. The only thing that is really worrying me now is mental function, which is not 100%. Brain fog lingers, along with bouts of anxiety and forgetfulness. I keep doing dumb shit like leaving the teapot on, which causes my anxiety to spike because I'm worried about what this may have done to my head. It feels different than a regular cold/flu - like something else is getting in the way of thoughts. Hoping it all passes in time.

We got this because my wife visited a friend that has terminal cancer to say goodbye and the family members did not tell us they had just been tested. We only found out after we were both sick. I am super pissed. My wife and I worked out a plan to try to keep her as safe as possible during the visit, but all that got thrown out the window because of stupid, selfish people. They fully admitted they didn't tell her they were being tested for it because then my wife wouldn't visit. Fuck each and every person in that family. Don't trust people to do the right thing, no matter who they are.
Terracotta Army

Reply #992 on: December 02, 2020, 05:19:42 PM

Getting whiplash from so many goalposts shifting around. CDC came out with a reduction to the days recommended to quarantine to 7 to encourage compliance. Ugh...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/health/cdc-shorter-quarantine-guidance/index.html

and soon after came this gem:
“I do think, unfortunately, before we see February, we could be close to 450,000 Americans who’ve died from this virus,” Redfield stated.

https://us.newschant.com/health/cdc-head-says-180000-more-americans-could-die-from-covid-19-by-february/

And just caught a 6pm local Colorado news story about a state rep telling businesses to basically ignore the governor's restrictions. I'll try and find the story on their website.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: December 03, 2020, 08:27:44 AM

Getting whiplash from so many goalposts shifting around. CDC came out with a reduction to the days recommended to quarantine to 7 to encourage compliance. Ugh...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/health/cdc-shorter-quarantine-guidance/index.html

“I do think, unfortunately, before we see February, we could be close to 450,000 Americans who’ve died from this virus,” Redfield stated.

https://us.newschant.com/health/cdc-head-says-180000-more-americans-could-die-from-covid-19-by-february/

And just caught a 6pm local Colorado news story about a state rep telling businesses to basically ignore the governor's restrictions. I'll try and find the story on their website.

If it wasn't clear before, America really isn't well setup to handle a crisis like this.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #994 on: December 03, 2020, 08:38:40 AM

If it wasn't clear before, America really isn't well setup to handle a crisis like this.

On account of all the Americans.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #995 on: December 04, 2020, 12:11:39 AM

I'm on day 12 of this mess. I can technically go back to work now, but my doc wrote a note that says next Monday. It seemed to appease HR so that's good. My wife and I both ultimately tested positive; our daughter never got sick and tested negative. Also good.

I'm having 2-3 good days with fair energy, followed by a bad 1-2 days with lots of coughing and sleeping 12+ hours. The only thing that is really worrying me now is mental function, which is not 100%. Brain fog lingers, along with bouts of anxiety and forgetfulness. I keep doing dumb shit like leaving the teapot on, which causes my anxiety to spike because I'm worried about what this may have done to my head. It feels different than a regular cold/flu - like something else is getting in the way of thoughts. Hoping it all passes in time.

We got this because my wife visited a friend that has terminal cancer to say goodbye and the family members did not tell us they had just been tested. We only found out after we were both sick. I am super pissed. My wife and I worked out a plan to try to keep her as safe as possible during the visit, but all that got thrown out the window because of stupid, selfish people. They fully admitted they didn't tell her they were being tested for it because then my wife wouldn't visit. Fuck each and every person in that family. Don't trust people to do the right thing, no matter who they are.

Continuing to read what you're posting, and wishing you well.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #996 on: December 04, 2020, 12:41:26 AM

Continuing to read what you're posting, and wishing you well.

Thank you! I think we are on the other side of this. My head isn't 100% but I think my body is ready to get back to work.

As sick as we were, I still feel we were the lucky ones.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #997 on: December 04, 2020, 03:06:52 AM

My 15 year-old seems to be out the other side of this thing as well, and seems nobody else got infected.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #998 on: December 05, 2020, 11:27:00 PM

Glad to hear that from both of you. 🤗

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #999 on: December 08, 2020, 11:08:02 AM

Son's school is staying all virtual until at least March 15.  Ohhhhh, I see. There's no attempt to even try hybrid, but that's what we get for being at a charter school. They don't have the resources (teachers) to pull this off. There might be in person PE at some point, but whatever.

Of course the preschool just had to close down due to a staffer testing positive and the school contacting the heath board about what their next step should be.

There's a lot of mask wearing in Tucson, but also a lot of stupidity. I see a lot of dumbasses just completely maskless doing stuff like dropping off a package or waiting inside to pick up their takeout. Seriously, how much an ass do you have to be to see everyone around you masked up, and you just casually strolling around with a care in the world. There's not even any of posturing like they're looking for conflict, they just don't give a shit. It's a wide swath too from old grannies to some young douchebag wearing his fluffy moccasins. Only positive thing I've seen is some guy realize his mistake, ask for a mask, and then leave when they didn't have any.

-Rasix
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1000 on: December 08, 2020, 12:45:24 PM

Son's school is staying all virtual until at least March 15.  Ohhhhh, I see. There's no attempt to even try hybrid, but that's what we get for being at a charter school. They don't have the resources (teachers) to pull this off. There might be in person PE at some point, but whatever.

Of course the preschool just had to close down due to a staffer testing positive and the school contacting the heath board about what their next step should be.

There's a lot of mask wearing in Tucson, but also a lot of stupidity. I see a lot of dumbasses just completely maskless doing stuff like dropping off a package or waiting inside to pick up their takeout. Seriously, how much an ass do you have to be to see everyone around you masked up, and you just casually strolling around with a care in the world. There's not even any of posturing like they're looking for conflict, they just don't give a shit. It's a wide swath too from old grannies to some young douchebag wearing his fluffy moccasins. Only positive thing I've seen is some guy realize his mistake, ask for a mask, and then leave when they didn't have any.

I was watching the Monday Night Football game last night and noticing the mask compliance.  Routinely coaches remove their mask to yell (and spit) at their players, people don't cover their noses, etc.

There is never going to be 90% compliance in the US.  I'd be impressed if we even hit 50%

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1001 on: December 09, 2020, 10:49:30 AM

Apparently your teeth falling out because of vascular damage from Covid is also one of the long term complications  ACK!
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1002 on: December 09, 2020, 01:22:03 PM

Apparently your teeth falling out because of vascular damage from Covid is also one of the long term complications  ACK!

I am no doctor, but doesn't that also imply negative effects on the male ...performance?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1003 on: December 09, 2020, 02:39:39 PM

German Twitter calls it „Hodencovid“ (literal translation would be something akin to ‚COVID Of the Balls‘) don’t know if this term has carried over to Austria as well.

Calamine is correct as well, erectile dysfunction and sterility are also long term complications of COVID. Basically if it’s a body part with small blood vessels, it’s fucked long term.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1004 on: December 09, 2020, 03:00:51 PM

BBC: Covid-19 vaccine: Allergy warning over new jab

Two NHS workers had allergic reactions to the BioNTech / Pfizer vaccine. The article doesn't list the cause of the reaction but it's likely from the polyethylene glycol (PEG) coating used to transport the vaccine (helps protect the payload from immune responses before its reach its target) which is known to cause allergic reactions.

Allergy, Asthma & Clinical Immunology: Immediate hypersensitivity to polyethylene glycols in unrelated products: when standardization in the nomenclature of the components of drugs, cosmetics, and food becomes necessary
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 03:22:22 PM by Trippy »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1005 on: December 10, 2020, 10:09:47 AM

If it was already known to cause reactions... wouldn't you put that on the tin?

swamp poop
Terracotta Army

Reply #1006 on: December 10, 2020, 12:31:46 PM

If it was already known to cause reactions... wouldn't you put that on the tin?

swamp poop

lol. The haven't had time to create a tv commercial to outline all of that yet. Sheesh...  why so serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1007 on: December 10, 2020, 02:46:23 PM

I already have the music for it:

Come on, vaccine
Oh, I swear
At this moment
You mean everything!
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1008 on: December 22, 2020, 03:42:07 AM

At least one and possibly both of these were I believe in people who didn't have a history of allergic reactions.

In other fun news though, looks like Covid20 has emerged in the UK. On top of the regional lockdowns coming in for Christmas we've had travel restrictions put in for a growing number of countries. I do know a few people who were planning to go home for christmas to see family that are now firmly not going anywhere due to the travel restrictions. It's hard to feel too bad for them because clearly getting on a plane to go see your elderly parents in Italy is a bad idea but it sucks how many people are doing Xmas alone this year.

Hopefully experts are right and in this new strain is still going to be covered by the existing vaccinations otherwise 2021 isn't going to be much better. In fact for the UK it'll be happening alongside no deal Brexit so probably pretty shitty.

Regarding trusting UK vaccine approvals, etc. In general the NHS is well insulated from political pressure but Johnson has been pushing to remove that insulation largely because he wants to push through reforms that many trusts and hospitals have been resistant to. I don't think bodies like NICE (National Institute of Clinical Excellence) which does drug and treatment approvals have been under the gun for this kind of pressure so without hearing anything bad I'd trust health body recommendations and approvals but the government here would definitely be happy to loudly announce approval of a miracle cure before testing came in and just cross their fingers that it works out.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1009 on: December 22, 2020, 09:21:23 AM

EU approved the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine yesterday.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1010 on: December 24, 2020, 02:56:59 PM

Welp, put me down in the group Gamers With COVID. Finally failed to dodge this bullet.

I'll spare you the recounting of just how crappy we're handling this most recent outbreak around here. By all sane considerations we should be in tight economically compensated lockdown, but no it's pretty much just business as usual except for the jam packed hospitals and care centers.

But so far relatively mild. Been fatigued for days with an itchy throat and sinus pressure. No loss of taste, but appetite is really down. Been subsisting on tiny oranges and Moose Munch. No more brain fog than usual, and no fever. We think my wife has already had it, but to be on the safe side we've divided the house up. I have the room with the biggest TV screen, so I'm good.

Might finally have the time to play A Wolf Among Us, or maybe finish The Last of Us.

I have a friend that spent his COVID time catching up with The Walking Dead, but I don't think I'm to that stage yet.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1011 on: December 26, 2020, 07:05:11 AM

It probably doesn't help any, but: Be well and  get better soon. Holding my thumbs for that's it a case. Heart

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1012 on: December 26, 2020, 08:50:24 AM

Hope you recover quickly. I watched a Let's Play of A Wolf Among Us and really enjoyed it.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1013 on: December 28, 2020, 11:30:42 AM

Thanks for the well wishes. In retrospect I probably should have posted in the Conversation thread instead of this thread more devoted to news of the virus. But hey, from my point of view me getting it is news!

Glad I'm not having as rough a time of it as many others, but I am getting to experience that "feel mostly fine one day and then the next feel like crap again" symptom of the disease. But over all improving, and making damn sure I'm well quarantined and not infecting others, which is apparently a radical idea around these parts, so yall don't report me as some sort of socialist...

Ohhhhh, I see.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1014 on: December 29, 2020, 12:22:47 AM

Glad you’re on the mend. I’m about five weeks out from getting it and I still have good days/bad days with my lungs and sinuses.

Nothing to keep me from working but first few hours of every 3-4 days can be rough.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: