Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:47:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 250936 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #840 on: June 22, 2020, 04:58:55 PM

Guy that may have infected my sister-in-law (not Steve Bannon himself) is now on a ventilator. Yikes.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #841 on: June 22, 2020, 05:48:57 PM

I hope he's not bald and type A blood type (seriously).
Rasix

Reply #842 on: June 22, 2020, 05:50:20 PM

He's bald and old. Apparently he had also just gotten a root canal.

-Rasix
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #843 on: June 22, 2020, 08:22:24 PM

So what are people doing for masks? I've tried a bunch, the initial homemade ones from crafty types in the area were terrible. Got in a few from China with ports and neoprene, but they were garbage quality. So far Vistaprint has been the best I've seen. Just got them in and the first day I wore it to work everyone went to order one, so it's the current winner. Going to get in a couple Lands' End masks by the weekend.

I'm down with the snakeskin print  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

This is what I use in the grocery story.  It keeps everyone at least 10 feet away from me, which is the goal in the first place.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793NZMQ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why does that not surprise me?

Is it because you get the same white supremacy vibe from that mask that I do?  I mean, maybe that is not fair, but it is my visceral reaction to seeing that mask.

Same fucking energy. He either needs to yell, “True Sons” or start sporting a Hawaiian shirt with his mask to complete the look.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: June 22, 2020, 08:37:22 PM

The wife and I are getting a COVID nose swab test tomorrow. My parents are getting them as well this week. If we're all negative we're getting together next weekend. I'm looking forward to it. First outside contact we've all had in three months.
Rasix

Reply #845 on: June 22, 2020, 09:04:02 PM

False negatives exist, ya know.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #846 on: June 23, 2020, 05:31:02 PM

Slog 100% is wearing speed shades in at least on Facebook avatar since that shit launched
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #847 on: June 24, 2020, 06:01:23 AM

Slog 100% is wearing speed shades in at least on Facebook avatar since that shit launched

Sadly, this has been my facebook avatar for years, only because the only sunglasses I can wear on my big head are Ray Bans.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: June 24, 2020, 07:30:49 AM

So up here in Washington State as of Friday we are going to start requiring masks when you are out in public. The is potential of fines attached if you do not comply. In my red corner of the state people are flipping out about personal rights. This is the same corner that has the worst increases in infections.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/23/politics/washington-state-coronavirus-masks/index.html
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: June 24, 2020, 07:38:46 AM

That is a good step, but will the local authorities where people are screaming about FREEDUMB enforce it?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 07:40:29 AM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #850 on: June 24, 2020, 07:51:03 AM

It's not even just 'personal rights', I commonly hear the 'building the immune system' line of reasoning. We're not dealing with intelligent people here, and they don't have a shred of information literacy. It's especially maddening to those of us who work in libraries, where the entire job is about information literacy.

But good job finally requiring masks 5 months later?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #851 on: June 24, 2020, 08:05:02 AM

Well at least they are backing the evolutionary aspects of extinction events. The only ones getting out unscathed are those that are asymptomatic and hopefully have no effects of this later on. The rest die off because they are too weak. It's pure science guys!!  We should be encouraging them to embrace it!   why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #852 on: June 24, 2020, 10:35:31 AM

As far as the enforcement of wearing a mask goes I suspect that most of the local officials will be forced into enforcing it. The numbers are getting pretty bad in a few of the counties and they have already ran out of hospital space. They are shipping people elsewhere throughout the state right now but that is just a band-aid fix. At some point they are going to be forced into enforcing it.

I mentioned in the other thread that they can actually start requiring masks because you can actually buy them now. I think that is why California and Washington are starting to enforce it. The company I work for was trying to source masks and it was damn near impossible to get anything at any quantity up til a month ago.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #853 on: June 24, 2020, 10:48:10 AM

On a more serious note... Here in Allegheny County, we were pretty on point with focusing on social distancing and limiting contacts and non-essential activities. That was back starting in March and we got the initial numbers and they didn't really rise like other places. March turned into May and people were getting increasing pissy about things and since cases weren't going up around here, we moved to a more cautionary stance which they chucklefucks took to mean everything is back to normal and only the idiots are still social distancing and wearing masks. So of course, now the county is experiencing an uptick in cases reported. Only thing that is a little fuzzy here is if testing has gone up proportionally or if it has stayed the same.

This is really fascinating to my former self who was knee deep in my graduate work in medical sociology. While that didn't pan out, I am still intrigued by the whole process of collective action both to be ultra-cautious but then completely abandon it once the collective started getting tired of it.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #854 on: June 24, 2020, 11:19:06 AM

The amazing part to me is that despite living in a deep red nest of chucklenuts, there are only currently 13 cases in hospitals in our county, and 10 of those are from nursing homes.

Lots of contact tracing going on here, though. That's been making a huge difference as even the chuckletards in their typical cognitive dissonance are following the exposure announcements and talking about getting tested if they've been in those locations at those times.

The whole thing is very surreal.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #855 on: June 24, 2020, 11:54:11 AM

So up here in Washington State as of Friday we are going to start requiring masks when you are out in public. The is potential of fines attached if you do not comply. In my red corner of the state people are flipping out about personal rights. This is the same corner that has the worst increases in infections.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/23/politics/washington-state-coronavirus-masks/index.html

This sounds like a good plan, although i am concerned it could be used like stop and frisk. Ignore the white people flagrantly disregarding the rules and stick it to the darkies because they aren't wearing their mask correctly and could possibly be hiding a gun under it.

Lots of contact tracing going on here, though.

My son mentioned to me yesterday that Apple has instituted the ability to do contact tracing through their phones. More information can be found here: https://www.apple.com/covid19/contacttracing
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #856 on: June 27, 2020, 09:50:13 PM

Can we have a moment of silence please:

Honestly, I can only hope they are just social media savvy and are trying to get viral. If not...  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 10:00:38 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
schild
Administrator

Reply #857 on: June 27, 2020, 10:16:54 PM

THE ONLY WAY SHE CAN EAT FAJITAS

imagine typing that for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #858 on: June 27, 2020, 11:44:01 PM

I'm certainly HOPING they go viral.  why so serious?

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: June 28, 2020, 03:45:20 PM

Wife is on mandatory quarantine from work after minimal contact with a coworker who tested positive, she was taking it pretty well "only was in the room with her for a moment and didn't get that close"  then I ruined it for her and pointed out that said person probably caught it from someone else at work....
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: June 30, 2020, 12:07:08 PM

I saw this blog linked on SA so I don't now how qualified this guy is to speak on Vaccines, but he goes into a lot of detail.  Lot's of companies trying lots of different things, and the Chinese don't seem to hesitate when it comes to sending drugs to trial as early as they can.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/06/29/coronavirus-vaccine-update-june-29

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #861 on: June 30, 2020, 12:23:46 PM

He's a good person to follow though he isn't an expert on vaccines.

If you like podcasts, there's one run by a virologist that's become very popular thanks to COVID-19: https://www.virology.ws/
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: June 30, 2020, 11:45:59 PM

Immunity to COVID-19 is probably higher than tests have shown
New research from Karolinska Institutet and Karolinska University Hospital shows that many people with mild or asymptomatic COVID-19 demonstrate so-called T-cell-mediated immunity to the new coronavirus, even if they have not tested positively for antibodies. According to the researchers, this means that public immunity is probably higher than antibody tests suggest.

Our results indicate that roughly twice as many people have developed T-cell immunity compared with those who we can detect antibodies in.”

Its a fairly small sample of bit over 200 and it hasn't been peer reviewed, but it could be an explanation why antibodies result from tests done world wide has been so low.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #863 on: July 01, 2020, 12:25:03 PM

In further news city of Austin data is now at 2400+ new cases reported in the last 4 days and yet miraculously only has a bit over 2800 active cases, must be some miracle cure no one is telling anyone about that gets you symptom free in 5 days.  Seriously if the mandate on how to calculate these "statistics" is coming down from the Feds then they are basically telling everyone to cook the books.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:28:38 PM by Salamok »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #864 on: July 01, 2020, 12:54:01 PM

I'm feeling a sense of deja vu for some reason. In any case, yes their active cases count seems to backasswards* but I wouldn't let that discourage you too much as long as the new cases are accounted for somewhere in their combined graph.

* The yellow "active cases" line seems to be derived from the white reported cases minus the purple *estimated* recoveries, rather than being a direct count. The switch to estimated recoveries was made as I explained previously to conform to the state standards. It doesn't appear to be a Fed thing.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #865 on: July 01, 2020, 06:45:05 PM

We should be honestly be open to the possibility that fatality/serious cases are going to start to lag behind testing/positives in a way that seems unlike the early epidemic because the most vulnerable have already been exposed disproportionately in the early epidemic and died in higher numbers than what will follow. By no means does that mean everybody should go to a giant beerfest on a river in Arizona and have anonymous sex with young adults or whatever, but...
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #866 on: July 01, 2020, 07:01:17 PM

This hasn't killed anywhere near enough olds for that to be true for that reason. The recent bounce seems to skew lower in age, so that may drive the fatality rate down for a while.

If the numbers are real, and we've got good cause to believe that at least a couple of states (AZ and FL) are cooking the books.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #867 on: July 01, 2020, 07:27:48 PM

Immunity to COVID-19 is probably higher than tests have shown
New research from Karolinska Institutet and Karolinska University Hospital shows that many people with mild or asymptomatic COVID-19 demonstrate so-called T-cell-mediated immunity to the new coronavirus, even if they have not tested positively for antibodies. According to the researchers, this means that public immunity is probably higher than antibody tests suggest.

Our results indicate that roughly twice as many people have developed T-cell immunity compared with those who we can detect antibodies in.”

Its a fairly small sample of bit over 200 and it hasn't been peer reviewed, but it could be an explanation why antibodies result from tests done world wide has been so low.
As is often the case with health and medical research, the PR surrounding this research and the research itself are way out of sync with each other. The abstract of the article makes no mention of SARS-CoV-2 antibody detection compared to SARS-CoV-2-specific T cells. The data they are touting is buried in a figure near the end of the paper (Figure 4G, bottom right corner). They don't even make mention of it in the main text of the research itself (they do mention vaguely in the text accompanying the figures).

Essentially what they found is that for one of the cohorts they studied -- Swedish blood donors -- the antibody positivity rate (4 out of 31 people) was less than half that of the SARS-CoV-2-specific T-cells response detection rate (9 out of the same 31 people). This is how they came up with the "roughly twice as many people" in their PR. The other cohorts either showed smaller differences or no difference at all between the antibody and T-cells detection rates. And yet, somehow, based on this one very specific cohort they've somehow concluded that:
Our results indicate that roughly twice as many people have developed T-cell immunity compared with those who we can detect antibodies in.
Which is not what their research shows if you look at the data for all of the cohorts.

Another issue with the paper is that they don't include confidence intervals for their antibody testing results. These tests can result in both false positives and false negatives. They did perform two separate tests on each sample but that still doesn't guarantee zero false negatives and positives.

Their tests don't also prove that the samples with the SARS-CoV-2-specific T-cell response without corresponding antibodies means those individuals have immunity going forward. There's some indirect evidence that that may be the case but their PR calls it "T-cell immunity" implying that these people are immune.

Edit: this is the paper: Robust T cell immunity in convalescent individuals with asymptomatic or mild COVID-19
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 07:35:43 PM by Trippy »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #868 on: July 01, 2020, 07:31:22 PM

We should be honestly be open to the possibility that fatality/serious cases are going to start to lag behind testing/positives in a way that seems unlike the early epidemic because the most vulnerable have already been exposed disproportionately in the early epidemic and died in higher numbers than what will follow. By no means does that mean everybody should go to a giant beerfest on a river in Arizona and have anonymous sex with young adults or whatever, but...
Yes there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that the average age of those getting infected now is lower than those initially so that will bring the Case Fatality Rate down when all cases and ages are combined together.
Rasix

Reply #869 on: July 02, 2020, 11:02:43 AM

Ran into my first two Covid Karens today. I was at the nearby cafe ordering takeout (they only have outdoor seating, but fuck no, I'm not doing that), and there were two early-to-mid thirties women "just browsing" without masks on. One was talking really loud on the phone. "We have medical conditions" was their response when asked to put on a mask. Then the one on the phone was laughing about it on her still very loud phone call. They then proceeded just to walk around the interior of the small cafe. I think they were just fishing for some sort of confrontation. Not your typical Karen look, but the one of the phone looked exceptionally crazy. Like "5G is going to give us uber covid" crazy.

Ohh well, that was rather infuriating. I'm not sure what a small cafe is supposed to do other than ask them to leave, but they probably didn't want the ensuing logical calama-fuck that was bound to occur. That place is often frequented by some of the older local population here.  Other than that specific situation, people have been taking things more seriously. 

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #870 on: July 02, 2020, 11:40:48 AM

Had to go out and get an oil change yesterday. As I walked in the place, I notice there's a warning sign on every door talking about health and masks, etc.

Not one person besides me, customer or employee was wearing a mask.

Fuck this entire place.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #871 on: July 02, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Mask-wearing is definitely up where I live. But people are still super-inconsistent about physical space and distancing.

I think some of it is people consciously trying to communicate that they could give a shit and they're only wearing the mask because they don't want a confrontation at the door of the market or what have you. But I think some of it is that there are people who are *always* bad at understanding where their bodies are in relationship to other peoples' bodies. I mean, in the supermarket, there has always been a subset of people--maybe 30%, many of them middle-aged or older women?--who just do not have any apparent sense that they're blocking the aisle or that while they decide which brand of whatever they want to buy while they stand a foot away from a section of product, no one else can get in there, or that there's a line at the deli counter. That comes from a weird combination of subconscious sociopathy (other people don't really exist for them) and just plain cluelessness (oh, am I actually in the way? I didn't realize). I think a lot of men are way more aware of their body's proximity to other bodies, especially men--you learn pretty quickly that some men are gonna get angry or aggressive if you block their way or touch them accidentally or move too slowly for their tastes, etc. so you pay more attention in these settings.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #872 on: July 02, 2020, 12:35:58 PM

I have a dog like that. A not at all dumb otherwise Chocolate Lab, but he has no idea he has a body. Can't figure out that he needs to move his head to get his food poured into his dish, just stands in a door waiting for you to walk though him, and will often try to walk through areas too narrow for him. None of the other dogs are that clueless, and often look at him like "you dumbass, MOVE!"

Doesn't have much to do with Covid 19, other than to agree that some mammals just don't get body awareness.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #873 on: July 02, 2020, 08:56:46 PM

This entire experience is shining light on those that were never told "no".
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #874 on: July 03, 2020, 04:06:05 PM

Their religion is solipsism.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: