Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:41:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 250930 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #805 on: June 11, 2020, 11:16:47 AM

The Tucson response to Arizona's "open up" is somewhat of a mixed bag. A lot of people have just stopped trying, and a majority of these appear to be older people. Bars are in full swing and some are even hosting live music (wtf?).

The Whole Foods are requiring masks, but they're still doing curbside, so fuck going inside. Other places look like everyone but employees are just ignoring any resemblance of safety. I don't really trust my safety to the business driven decision making of our ex-ice-cream-shop CEO governor. And if that isn't bad enough, doctor friends are telling us that ICUs in the area are at full capacity.

I'm getting a haircut on Wednesday, but my stylist is just a one person salon in a standalone building. She's already gotten Covid (closed down for 3 weeks), so I guess that's a plus.
This is veering into Politics but Arizona is unfortunately one of those states that isn't do well at the moment. On the one hand the governor is saying "We are not in a crisis situation" and on the other Banner Health, the largest health care provider, is saying they are running out of ICU capacity and the state health director sent out a letter urging hospitals to "fully activate" emergency plans.

Edit: add page break quote
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:25:04 AM by Trippy »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #806 on: June 11, 2020, 11:44:07 AM

Out shopping for food today, everyone wearing masks. Not being that careful about personal proximity, but not bad. I was struck that the plexiglass shield they've put up for the people at the registers is kind of fucking dumb because it covers the area where you swipe your debit or credit card but not the area where they put your bags before you put them in your cart, and the clerk is constantly turning and facing you about a foot away without a shield there. But at least there are masks.

Mostly I saw people in shopping lots wearing masks too to and from cars.

But apparently in some states (Texas, South Carolina), absolutely nobody is wearing masks anywhere and almost no one is distancing.

Kinda on topic, but my local grocery store has had handheld scanners that you link to when you walk in and scan all your stuff as you go (you can also use your phone with the app if need be). Wife and I haven't used a checkout with a clerk since they started it. Scan, put it in the reusable bag, next aisle.

Thing that really struck me now as opposed to 2019, the stores in the area set up all the aisles as 1-way aisles. Holy shit why wasn't this a thing years ago. I love not having a complete clusterfuck of carts down the aisle...now it actually flows. Sure, drawback is wanting a single item down an aisle that you might have to walk all the way around for but since the aisles all flow better it is just more steps in my book... time is about the same.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #807 on: June 11, 2020, 12:25:25 PM

And now there's a fire that may force the evacuation of my in-laws (mother, father, sister). So it looks like I may be living with 3 more people and 2 more cats. All without a working washing machine.

I have a feeling I may be sleeping on an inflatable mattress in the (home)office tonight.

This year just keeps pumping out the hits.

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

Reply #808 on: June 11, 2020, 12:28:27 PM

Well I think we only have 2 more Seals to open before it is over... so yay

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #809 on: June 11, 2020, 12:46:06 PM

Kinda on topic, but my local grocery store has had handheld scanners that you link to when you walk in and scan all your stuff as you go (you can also use your phone with the app if need be). Wife and I haven't used a checkout with a clerk since they started it. Scan, put it in the reusable bag, next aisle.

Thing that really struck me now as opposed to 2019, the stores in the area set up all the aisles as 1-way aisles. Holy shit why wasn't this a thing years ago. I love not having a complete clusterfuck of carts down the aisle...now it actually flows. Sure, drawback is wanting a single item down an aisle that you might have to walk all the way around for but since the aisles all flow better it is just more steps in my book... time is about the same.

All the stores around here have asked people not to bring re-usable bags into the store. And our one store with the scan as you go on your cell phone app still requires you to go to the self-checkout lane to pay/bag your stuff.

And yeah, 1-way aisles are kinda good. But stores need to be re-designed to properly have the 1-way thing really work for me.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: June 11, 2020, 12:46:52 PM

I had to get gas the other day any everyone was wearing masks. Also plexiglass.

Don't clump cities and states together.
You can clump all of South Carolina together.  Some individuals are exceptions, but all the cities seem to have high percentages of people that either don't believe COVID is real, believe they're not going to get it because God is protecting them/will see them through, or understand that they (and the people they most care about) are in low risk categories and don't give a shit about others.  

It is hard to want to forge new friendships in new communities when your first sixth months there are filled with people showing their true stripes.  COVID and the recent BLM movement are making a lot of things clear.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Terracotta Army

Reply #811 on: June 11, 2020, 01:14:51 PM

All the stores around here have asked people not to bring re-usable bags into the store. And our one store with the scan as you go on your cell phone app still requires you to go to the self-checkout lane to pay/bag your stuff.

And yeah, 1-way aisles are kinda good. But stores need to be re-designed to properly have the 1-way thing really work for me.

There was a push to discourage re-usable bags in all the stores around here, but only insofar as those people using regular checkouts. Scan, bag, and go is pretty much exempt as we never have anyone touch our stuff.

All this being said, western PA seems to think everything is ok now so everything is switching back to business as usual.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #812 on: June 11, 2020, 02:28:13 PM

I like how the Austin recovery statistics were "transitioned" at the beginning of the month.  So now we only have 821 Active cases of covid! somehow this is supposed to jive with the thousand new cases that were reported within the last 12 days...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #813 on: June 11, 2020, 03:13:49 PM

Where do you see that 821 figure? On the Austin dashboard it's showing 4109 cases right now for the entire county.

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #814 on: June 11, 2020, 03:19:29 PM

In the new cases per day pane switch the view to "Cumulative cases, recoveries and active cases".
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #815 on: June 11, 2020, 03:38:42 PM

Gotcha, so they made the change to be consistent with the rest of the state. The white total reported line does still seem to be tracking the daily new case amounts. The yellow active cases line post-adjustment is increasing less than the daily new case amount but that could just be verification lag.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #816 on: June 11, 2020, 03:53:31 PM

I just don't see how it can be remotely accurate unless the new cases they are testing are already almost recovered.  Just add up the new cases reported each day and you only have to go back 10 or 11 days to exceed 821.   

edit - That said I like the idea and it has been somewhat missing from all the early data they just might have gone too far with it in search of palatable statistics.  Pretty sure you could make a general statement that hey if you tested positive for Corona and we haven't heard from you in X days and you aren't dead then it is fairly accurate to say you have recovered.  Unfortunately I'm thinking X should be more like 30 or 45 and they seem to be thinking it is 10.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 03:57:07 PM by Salamok »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #817 on: June 11, 2020, 03:56:27 PM

They may be considering "active" to only be hospitalizations (not just ICU).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #818 on: June 11, 2020, 03:59:28 PM

They may be considering "active" to only be hospitalizations (not just ICU).

nope they have a dashboard for hospitalized and it is a bit over 100 nowhere near 821.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #819 on: June 11, 2020, 04:25:08 PM

Our grocery stores are theoretically one-way aisles too, but not everyone is really complying. Masks are still mandatory at least, although the number of people wearing them wrong is always frightening.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #820 on: June 11, 2020, 04:38:24 PM

No fucking idea how our grocery stores work.  I'm having things delivered. 

Terracotta Army

Reply #821 on: June 11, 2020, 06:05:30 PM

Wife and I don't really trust other people to pick out produce or meat for us... and that is like 80% of our shopping list. Only things we use the pickup service or delivery is for baking ingredients and liquids like milk or soda.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: June 11, 2020, 06:10:30 PM

Wife and I don't really trust other people to pick out produce or meat for us... and that is like 80% of our shopping list. Only things we use the pickup service or delivery is for baking ingredients and liquids like milk or soda.
We grow a lot of our own produce (the ones that are hard to get in quality at a store - tomatoes, etc...) , and we're getting big purchases of meats from Costco - probably not getting the best cuts, but I'd rather do that than take the store risks.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: June 12, 2020, 07:17:04 AM

So I'm going in today to for an antibody test as I've volunteered to donate plasma based on having had symptoms. I guess I get to find out if I've had this thing with reasonable certainty and if so I'll be hopefully helping out people who get it worse than I had.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #824 on: June 12, 2020, 09:32:47 PM

Mask wearing in Texas and South Carolina is optional. Hence the reason why so many aren't. And of course Austin is Austin, and I'm assuming Houston is probably similar.

Hardly anyone wears masks in Dallas.  It's dumb.  I only leave the house once every two weeks so I can record some voice overs in our sound booth at work, which is fortunately empty.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #825 on: June 17, 2020, 07:20:45 AM

So what are people doing for masks? I've tried a bunch, the initial homemade ones from crafty types in the area were terrible. Got in a few from China with ports and neoprene, but they were garbage quality. So far Vistaprint has been the best I've seen. Just got them in and the first day I wore it to work everyone went to order one, so it's the current winner. Going to get in a couple Lands' End masks by the weekend.

I'm down with the snakeskin print  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: June 17, 2020, 07:27:40 AM

We've made a few here at home that are ok, we bought a few that are pretty and work well enough. I'm getting better at making them--I got some better wire and filter material. Going to try a new batch this weekend.

My painting respirator is what I use if I'm going shopping still but I need to replace the filters soon.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #827 on: June 17, 2020, 12:46:29 PM

I have a bunch of masks I'd accumulated before this all started (thanks wildfires, home remodeling and Caltrain diesel fumes!). Currently I use a 3M N95 8511 mask with the valve taped off as my weekly grocery shopping mask. I've also been sporadically stockpiling various other masks as I see them become available at non-outrageous markup prices, just in case.

If you want something that offers a bit more protection than a cloth face mask and you don't have a big head/face, you can try a cloth mask that has a pocket inside to fit a PM2.5 particulate filter. These are popular in China because of the heavy air pollution over there.

If you want better protection than that you'll want a KN95 or FFP2 mask (the Chinese and European equivalents of N95 masks) if you can find them at non-outrageous markups.

In terms of markups right now imported China-made isolation (surgical) masks of questionable quality are going for about US$0.50 each right now for masks that ship quickly (you can get them a lot cheaper if you are willing to wait a few months for them arrive by sea). In comparison I bought 300 isolation masks of the exact type used at Stanford Hospital for $25.00 ($0.083/ea) a few years back. KN95/FFP2 masks of questionable quality are going for about $5.00/ea in quantity right now. Fall of last year I bought a box of 10 of the above 3M N95 8511 masks for the remodeling project for ~$15.00 ($1.50/ea).
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: June 18, 2020, 03:07:29 AM

So what are people doing for masks? I've tried a bunch, the initial homemade ones from crafty types in the area were terrible. Got in a few from China with ports and neoprene, but they were garbage quality. So far Vistaprint has been the best I've seen. Just got them in and the first day I wore it to work everyone went to order one, so it's the current winner. Going to get in a couple Lands' End masks by the weekend.

This is what I use in the grocery story.  It keeps everyone at least 10 feet away from me, which is the goal in the first place.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793NZMQ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: June 18, 2020, 01:00:29 PM

I have been reusing the same N95 mask I have had sitting in a drawer for 2 years for my once every 10 days or so foray out into the world.  It is wildly uncomfortable but I just see that as encouragement to hurry the eff up and get back home.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #830 on: June 18, 2020, 01:53:08 PM

There anything out there about quest diagnostic anti body tests that are positive yet? My parents both have them and I don't know what the means for re-integrating with them.

No idea when it'll be "safe" to have the grand parents back in the kids' lives.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #831 on: June 18, 2020, 02:05:39 PM

My lay opinion is they should still get PCR tests to check if they still have the virus.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #832 on: June 18, 2020, 02:12:02 PM

My lay opinion is they should still get PCR tests to check if they still have the virus.

A week prior to my father being tested positive for antibodies he was in the hospital and tested negative for covid. Not sure what test they were using.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #833 on: June 18, 2020, 05:25:38 PM

So it's probably okay for him to visit then, though again like we've mentioned above those tests can still give false negatives so there's still some risk involved.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #834 on: June 19, 2020, 06:52:27 AM

The mask thing is getting tense at work.

Right wing propaganda is really strong, apparently.

The interesting thing is the breakdown of compliance/belief: only one of the professional, salaried staff is on the fence about masks (but complies begrudgingly). Only one of the unskilled wage staff is happily complying, teh rest range from begrudging to flouting compliance at every turn.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:54:53 AM by Sky »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: June 21, 2020, 01:19:26 PM

Our whole family (and my parents) are getting tested this week (nasal swab). Once we get results we're going to mingle. Should be fun.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #836 on: June 21, 2020, 09:27:14 PM

Steve Bannon may have caused me to get exposed to covid. I wish I were joking. This fucking year.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #837 on: June 22, 2020, 06:06:03 AM

Did you drive a stake through his bloated, festering heart? Because I've heard that works.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #838 on: June 22, 2020, 09:41:23 AM

This is what I use in the grocery story.  It keeps everyone at least 10 feet away from me, which is the goal in the first place.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793NZMQ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why does that not surprise me?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #839 on: June 22, 2020, 10:01:06 AM

Why does that not surprise me?

Is it because you get the same white supremacy vibe from that mask that I do?  I mean, maybe that is not fair, but it is my visceral reaction to seeing that mask.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: