Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:04:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 250969 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: May 05, 2020, 08:27:58 PM

It wouldn't be a message board if someone wasn't trying to get you to take the D.

Interesting tidbit.  I'll be looking into it further. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #596 on: May 05, 2020, 09:59:22 PM

My doctor has me taking 50K units once a month.  I have no idea how that matches up to the 30ng/ml sweet spot.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #597 on: May 05, 2020, 10:55:30 PM

According to this study it looks like your chances are decent (42%) that you are >=30 ng/ml, assuming you are similar (enough) to the patients studied.

EVALUATION OF VITAMIN D REPLETION REGIMENS TO CORRECT VITAMIN D STATUS IN ADULTS

You would be in treatment plan #2 in the study.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: May 06, 2020, 01:23:37 AM

There will be lots of plague doctors with various remedies all promising to provide a cure for the disease.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: May 06, 2020, 01:54:24 AM

I'd guess the counterargument is that normal vitamin D levels in gen pop are presumably an indicator that someone is outside seeing the sun a normal amount and therefore likely to be generally healthy?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: May 06, 2020, 12:09:46 PM

Saw this on SA:

"Colorado man who organized Anti-Quarantine/Open Carry Rally in Denver get's yelled at by his mom on live stream."

Mom yells at around 19:26.

https://youtu.be/XcGzVnUyegA?t=1148

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #601 on: May 06, 2020, 01:09:07 PM

Saw this on SA:

"Colorado man who organized Anti-Quarantine/Open Carry Rally in Denver get's yelled at by his mom on live stream."

Mom yells at around 19:26.

https://youtu.be/XcGzVnUyegA?t=1148

Worth turning the volume up for that one.  I LOL'd.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #602 on: May 06, 2020, 01:24:35 PM

Yeah, probably should've muted the mic before going inside.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: May 06, 2020, 02:56:40 PM

Lol Cartman in real life, but maaah i'm trying to organize the resistance!
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: May 06, 2020, 04:31:03 PM

This has been one of the most depressing things in my life because of the major fucking idiocy of some of the people I formerly respected.  The number of jackasses that are itching to get out there and making jokes about the virus on my Facebook feed one post away from someone I know in the medical field or in New York … ugh.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: May 07, 2020, 08:58:18 AM

Both me and my brother managed to get it, or at least most likely its this one because neither of us feel the need to get it tested. He is on day 6, i am on day 2. Both of us feels like its quite different, feels like we aren't healthy but not truly ill. I woke up drenched in sweat yesterday, with muscles feeling fatigued and body just feeling tired. Today I woke up horribly dehydrated, same muscle fatigue, after a nap I felt the same kind of dehydration again. It feels like it wouldn't take much to make be out of breath. No coughs or anything else though. Its fairly similar to what my brother experience.

The boredom of having to isolate myself......fuck me its going to be dull.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: May 07, 2020, 09:02:49 AM

Both me and my brother managed to get it, or at least most likely its this one because neither of us feel the need to get it tested. He is on day 6, i am on day 2. Both of us feels like its quite different, feels like we aren't healthy but not truly ill. I woke up drenched in sweat yesterday, with muscles feeling fatigued and body just feeling tired. Today I woke up horribly dehydrated, same muscle fatigue, after a nap I felt the same kind of dehydration again. It feels like it wouldn't take much to make be out of breath. No coughs or anything else though. Its fairly similar to what my brother experience.

This thing can turn fast on you, so don't hesitate to call a doctor of you feel worse.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: May 07, 2020, 09:10:26 AM

Yeah, do you have access to an oximeter?  Either at your clinic or a drug store?  If your oxygen saturation is less than 92% then you should go in.
schild
Administrator

Reply #608 on: May 07, 2020, 09:35:53 AM

you... should've already been doing that
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: May 07, 2020, 09:57:25 AM

This thing can turn fast on you, so don't hesitate to call a doctor of you feel worse.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: May 07, 2020, 10:00:59 AM

I'd guess the counterargument is that normal vitamin D levels in gen pop are presumably an indicator that someone is outside seeing the sun a normal amount and therefore likely to be generally healthy?

Yeah, the correlation is not causation problem. Still, glad I've been on doctor prescribed D supplements for a while since low vitamin levels were associated with my reoccurring periodontal syndrome and implant rejection (sorry for the TMI, but this is a medical thread).

In other news, sent my wife in this morning to get an antibody test. The thing is, she got sick with all the symptoms back in early January. So did another friend, who also got tested today.

We'll see by next week if we get to add to the number of cases that appear to have happened well before the outbreak "officially" happened.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: May 07, 2020, 10:10:23 AM

You're one of those people that can't leave politics behind?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #612 on: May 07, 2020, 11:08:43 AM

Ya, it really is a killer to be isolated. I've been doing the shutting in thing for nearly two months now and it's still not easy. Its not a thing you can get used to, especially when you have the stress of the disease. All i can suggest is keep an eye on your blood oxygen if you can, and play some music while you are in bed so you are not listening to silence. Or podcasts. Whatever you are into. Don't listen to Silence as the isolation and thoughts can overwhelm you. I don't know how the health services are in Sweden right now but they are at least better than Ireland so you are lucky in that.

Keep us posted regularly as well. It really helps to touch base with people, and I for one would like to know you are doing ok.

Hic sunt dracones.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: May 07, 2020, 02:40:37 PM

The closing for house we are buying is on Monday and we just got the "New Covid-19" procedures.  It's a lot different than the last time I bought a house:

You will drive up to the designated area in the parking lot and call us
when you have arrived. Your closer will have already introduced
herself and given you a phone number to call.
 The closer will then come out to your vehicle. She will ask that you
hold your picture ID up to the window so she can take a picture of it
for our records.
 You will then be given a pen and the documents that need to be
notarized. She will be explaining the documents and where to sign
over the phone.
 The closer will then take those documents back into the office to
notarize.
 While she is doing that, you will sign the remaining the remaining
documents and will call the closer if you have questions or concerns,
or to let her know when you have completed the signing.
 Your copies of these closing documents will be emailed or mailed to
you after closing.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #614 on: May 07, 2020, 05:48:34 PM

We are doing similar for renting apartments. Folks don't even get to see the actual apartment outside of a youtube video prior to signing the lease. It's wild - we're moving folks into our buildings without ever meeting them. I just did a lease entirely through email, never even spoke to the person.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #615 on: May 07, 2020, 05:57:53 PM

We are doing similar for renting apartments. Folks don't even get to see the actual apartment outside of a youtube video prior to signing the lease. It's wild - we're moving folks into our buildings without ever meeting them. I just did a lease entirely through email, never even spoke to the person.

Hoping this will be me soon... but since hiring processes have ground to a halt, I am still in limbo with a job I have been interviewing for. They keep calling me to update me that I am still their top candidate but everything has been frozen.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: May 08, 2020, 07:33:24 AM

Day 3 and just like any illness, start by feeling fine enough to do things and realize i'm not so fine after being awake for an hour. Its far from any illness I have had though, no fever, no visible signs, no coughs, no real pain, lungs feels like they operate at 90% of what they normally can do but I can take deep breaths like I did a week ago, its nothing compare to the regular seasonal flu where it feels lik you cough up your lung.

A friend of our bar boss' had it, his lungs got to the point where  he could just take small sips of air even if he tried to breathe deep. A bridge partner that is in his early 30's spent 2.5 weeks being ill, worst part for him was that it felt like there was a substance in his lung that he just couldn't cough up but apart from that it never got bad. A former bridge team mate in his early 60's spent at week at hospital getting oxygen after feeling bit worse from it, its the important preventive care that stops people from going in late and ending up at hospital in really bad shape.

The owner asked me yesterday if I could work today and started babbling about it possibly being allergies and not covid-19, its because of psychopaths like him that its going to keep spreading and everyone going to get it in the end. The other owner tells me to stay the fuck away from the place, then again it wasn't until a business contact to him died from it that he realized the harm it can do to people that's close to the age of retirement. Before that he had the attitude of it just being another swine flu.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #617 on: May 08, 2020, 09:23:42 AM

Get tested.  If you think you have it, get tested.  Period.  If not for you, for other people.  It adds to the statistics and lets you tell people with certainty that they've been near someone that had it.

All this assumes you can get tested.  There are still some places where that is problematic.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: May 08, 2020, 10:31:39 AM

Get tested.  If you think you have it, get tested.  Period.  If not for you, for other people.  It adds to the statistics and lets you tell people with certainty that they've been near someone that had it.

All this assumes you can get tested.  There are still some places where that is problematic.

Testing seems to be easing up a bit.  Today they have a thing in the local news begging people to get tested because the sites they setup are way below capacity.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #619 on: May 08, 2020, 05:26:27 PM

A look into how South Korea's contact tracing system works:

Seoul’s Radical Experiment in Digital Contact Tracing

Outline.com version in case you get paywalled

Edit: contact
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 10:51:14 PM by Trippy »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #620 on: May 08, 2020, 07:30:54 PM

Really interesting piece. I think the cafe owner has a point: if you're going big data and tracing, go all the way. Don't just tell people "a positive stopped in that coffee shop today" but "they were there for no more than two minutes and the cafe is taking thorough precautions."

Not for the first time, I'm really wondering where we'd be if this virus was closer to SARS--say, 10-15% IFR and fairly indiscriminate about the age range or co-morbidities it exploited. It might be that the Chinese government would have been harsher still in the lockdown and more forthcoming early on about what was happening; it might have been that the world would have buttoned up tighter more quickly (the reaction to SARS and MERS was pretty decisive). But that might be an era of international cooperation that's already past, recent as it is--maybe we would have had the same incompetence and lethal indifference and secret-keeping and right now we'd beyond any debate about opening up or the economy or whatever. There wouldn't be any uncertainty if one in every ten people were dropping dead, though there also wouldn't be any cute bullshit about sourdough starters either--the stores would have been scoured clean and everyone right now would be trying to make their dried beans stores stretch for the next six months. There wouldn't be any penny-ante would-be eugenicist scumbags talking about how it's just the nursing homes and some negroes in Georgia so go ahead and go to the beach and the hairdresser white people, it's ok to make American great again. It would be every person for himself and maybe for once owning a gun in the home would actually turn out to be a good idea.

We could take this as a lesson--a chance to be more prepared and more responsive and smarter about something more like that before it happens. A lesson about what is stalking the Anthropocene, about the microbes and toxins and fungi and pests that are adapting to an ecosystem defined by our bodies, our effluvia, our technologies, our social structures, our cognitive and moral weaknesses. Microparasites and macroparasites are infesting the host to the point of mortality, but I think we're likely to get a reprieve this time. I don't put high odds on us learning from this, but the chance is there.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #621 on: May 08, 2020, 10:46:20 PM

Some countries will learn, but likely not all. South Korea learned from MERS as the article talks about. Taiwan and Hong Kong learned from SARS. Given the global nature of this event, though, it's likely that there will be research into more general/generic coronavirus treatments and vaccines even past when the SARS-CoV-2 ones are developed. So even if some countries don't prepare for the next one as well as they should, if it's another new coronavirus that's spreading we'll likely be able to have treatments and vaccines available sooner. Similar to how some of the companies that are seemingly in the lead right for a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine are the ones that had done research into SARS or MERS vaccines before stopping that research because those epidemics died out before becoming pandemics.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #622 on: May 08, 2020, 11:18:34 PM

Another model to play with, this one modeling how mask wearing affects the spread (click on the Advanced tab near the bottom to see all the options):

masksim simulator

Watch the video at the bottom for an explanation how the model works.

tl;dw Wear a fucking mask.

Vanity Fair article on the creator De Kim and his model

His team's non-peer reviewed paper:
Universal Masking is Urgent in the COVID-19 Pandemic: SEIR and Agent Based Models, Empirical Validation, Policy Recommendations
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: May 09, 2020, 08:21:13 PM

Interesting model, but a more useful one would include some kind of slider for "mask grade".  I mean, no point in telling everybody "wearing a mask is great and cut down infections significantly" if what they are really saying is "Wearing a properly fitted N95 mask is great" while 90% of the population are wearing shitty home-make crap that is about as useful as nothing.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #624 on: May 09, 2020, 09:25:55 PM

It's in there under advanced settings. Mask transmission rate is how much is *blocked* outgoing and mask absorption rate is how much blocked incoming. I.e. you can think of the defaults of 70% as an "N70" mask. So if you wanted to simulate everybody wearing N95 masks you could bump it up to 95% (or less to account for people not wearing them properly).

Edit: here's the explanation from the above linked paper (the other parameters are explained in there as well):
Mask characteristics. Varying degrees of mask effectiveness are modelled by the mask transmission rate T and mask absorption rate A, which denote the proportion of viruses that are stopped by the mask during exhaling (transmission) versus inhaling (absorption), respectively. We set T = 0.7 and A = 0.7 to model the use of inexpensive, widely available, and even nonmedical or homemade masks with only 70% effectiveness for universal masking, and not higher quality N95, N99, N100, FFP1, FFP2, or FFP3 masks which in many regions need to be reserved for medical staff.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:40:51 PM by Trippy »
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: May 09, 2020, 09:29:41 PM

Ahh wow.  Completely missed the Advanced settings tab.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #626 on: May 10, 2020, 07:58:07 AM

Shitty homemade masks turned out to be the best defense against Spanish Flu a hundred years ago.  It's not about wearing one to protect yourself from being sneezed on (which does require actual medical grade PPE) so much as the massive cumulative effect of everyone wearing something over their face to prevent them from sneezing on anyone else.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 08:00:09 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #627 on: May 10, 2020, 08:20:47 AM

I see there were people back then who also weren’t covering their noses for some reason just like some of the mask wearers of today awesome, for real Ohhhhh, I see. swamp poop
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: May 10, 2020, 10:26:50 AM

I see there were people back then who also weren’t covering their noses for some reason just like some of the mask wearers of today awesome, for real Ohhhhh, I see. swamp poop

I have heard it hilariously being compared to wearing underpants with your dick hanging out.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: May 10, 2020, 08:12:55 PM

...I have heard it hilariously being compared to wearing underpants with your dick hanging out.
That, sir, is just good fashion in some places.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: