Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:50:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 251027 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #525 on: April 11, 2020, 04:19:30 PM

I modified my Destiny hunter helmet to take PD100 filters. Now I just need to work on some proper seals.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: April 11, 2020, 05:35:31 PM

Is this going to be one of those things where people get pimped out masks and then get sad that they don't really have a reason to use them once we get past the virus?  Are we going to end up with masks being fashionable?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: April 11, 2020, 06:26:56 PM

Is this going to be one of those things where people get pimped out masks and then get sad that they don't really have a reason to use them once we get past the virus?  Are we going to end up with masks being fashionable?

I live in a college town with several thousand Chinese nationals going to school here.

Probably 5-10% wear masks ALL the time.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: April 12, 2020, 04:02:36 AM

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 04:22:02 AM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: April 12, 2020, 04:20:58 PM

So I have a question for folks who use face masks regularly. I have some and when I put them on they only seem to serve to blow my breadth straight into my eyes, which seems....uh...counterproductive and also fogs up my glasses so I can't see.  Is there some magical way to fit/wear these things that I am too dense to figure out?

Its not counter productive unless it fogs your glasses up so that you run into things. Otherwise its doing more or less what it should. Keeping your breath near yourself.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: April 12, 2020, 07:45:25 PM

Honestly?  If I didn’t need to wear glasses half the time I’d get a pimped out steampunk plague doctor mask  Ohhhhh, I see.

Bird mask or GTFO: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B2HYJ7K
schild
Administrator

Reply #531 on: April 12, 2020, 08:01:12 PM

Honestly?  If I didn’t need to wear glasses half the time I’d get a pimped out steampunk plague doctor mask  Ohhhhh, I see.

So angry it wasn't this: https://www.amazon.com/CreepyParty-Novelty-Halloween-Costume-Pigeon/dp/B010BRP7I6
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: April 12, 2020, 10:53:30 PM

So angry it wasn't this: https://www.amazon.com/CreepyParty-Novelty-Halloween-Costume-Pigeon/dp/B010BRP7I6

Well both will ensure that people stay 6' away from you.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: April 14, 2020, 06:08:44 PM

Been interesting working from home due to Covid-19. I am seeing things in my neighborhood that I normally wouldn't see. Like almost all my neighbors have yard services that take care of things and they don't even mow their lawns. Or like today a migrating bee swarm taking a pit stop in my yard before moving on in a few hours. Walking out my back door reminded me of a bad horror movie with all the buzzing. I called a local beekeeper but the bees flew off 15 minutes before he got here. He estimated that the swarm was somewhere around 15 to 20 thousand bees.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: April 14, 2020, 06:19:02 PM

Offtopic, I remember Michael Caine (after saying that he had made like 300 movies and by average half of them will be crap) being asked what the worst movie he was ever in was, and after thinking a second he said "The Swarm." And when asked why that one, he said way the Bees had to be locked into their hives between takes, and Bees apparently don't poo in their hives. So when they were let out they went and crapped all over the actors and everything else, and after a few takes their lab coats were a slight shade of brown.

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #535 on: April 14, 2020, 11:56:41 PM

So, I got my Trump bucks. Wife and I are giving about a quarter of it to a restaurant that's feeding doctors and nurses. Provides food for a week. If any restaurants near you all are doing that, if you can spare the coin it's a pretty good cause. And if you want to but don't have a place doing it locally, I can link you to mine.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #536 on: April 15, 2020, 10:46:53 AM

Been interesting working from home due to Covid-19. I am seeing things in my neighborhood that I normally wouldn't see. Like almost all my neighbors have yard services that take care of things and they don't even mow their lawns. Or like today a migrating bee swarm taking a pit stop in my yard before moving on in a few hours. Walking out my back door reminded me of a bad horror movie with all the buzzing. I called a local beekeeper but the bees flew off 15 minutes before he got here. He estimated that the swarm was somewhere around 15 to 20 thousand bees.
I used a yard service for years, the old lady was paying for it as her way to pitch in for housework (because she doesn't do any). It was convenient, but I eventually had to fire them because they just sucked so bad. And they were the best in town. Most common was burning ruts into the yard by turning too hard and poor trimmer usage (also damaging just about everything at ground level with the trimmers). Worst was knocking downspout extensions off, my basement was flooded twice. I had been working with the business owner, sending him pictures and pressuring him through other business owners I know, but the second time the basement flooded I fired them on the spot.

Hard to find good help, people just don't give a fuck anymore. And charge through the nose. I have about a hundred projects that require a handyman's attention but there's nobody who can do small jobs well. And these fucking millennials bitch about the job market. Learn a trade, bitches.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:48:34 AM by Sky »
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: April 15, 2020, 12:01:13 PM

Not trying to espouse any number suppression cover up conspiracy sort of angle but I did find the City of Austin graph a bit surprising when i click to expand it:

" width="600" border="0
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:04:39 PM by Salamok »
schild
Administrator

Reply #538 on: April 15, 2020, 12:18:23 PM

Jump happened when we had readily available tests. This is fairly known at this point.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: April 15, 2020, 01:10:54 PM

Not that, I was just surprised when the compressed graph used the same scale for the x axis as the non compressed and despite being compressed they used a max Y range of 1.5k instead of the uncompressed versions 1.1k (almost like saying hey lets add 50% more flatness).
schild
Administrator

Reply #540 on: April 15, 2020, 10:11:58 PM

i mean they made the graph on the left really fucking small lol
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: April 16, 2020, 10:41:34 AM

Just checked Ireland's graph on the Worldometer. It's depressing. 444 deaths, 12547 cases. Per capita we are actually worse than the USA right now, at least officially. We ARE better on per capita testing however, wnich counts for a lot, but we are still not great even on that.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland/

Hic sunt dracones.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: April 16, 2020, 10:41:45 AM

Don't confuse idiocy with conspiracy.  

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #543 on: April 16, 2020, 05:00:36 PM

Just checked Ireland's graph on the Worldometer. It's depressing. 444 deaths, 12547 cases. Per capita we are actually worse than the USA right now, at least officially. We ARE better on per capita testing however, wnich counts for a lot, but we are still not great even on that.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland/
Yeah Ireland's case curve is pretty scary looking right now.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: April 17, 2020, 04:10:18 AM

I think Ireland's numbers are still too low to mean much, but anyone in Europe's best case is Germany, and worst is the UK/France/Spain/Italy, and let's be honest, no one except Germany is Germany.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: April 17, 2020, 05:02:36 AM

The Austrian numbers are besically the same, but we are used to being marginalized in comparasation to Germany, so I don't personally hate you for that wrong comment, eldaec ;)

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #546 on: April 17, 2020, 05:05:23 AM

Ireland’s total cases to date per capita is already substantially higher than Germany’s (almost 2x) and basically at Italy-levels right now so that’s not good.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #547 on: April 17, 2020, 05:06:52 AM

The Austrian numbers are besically the same, but we are used to being marginalized in comparasation to Germany, so I don't personally hate you for that wrong comment, eldaec ;)
Yeah well Norway, Iceland and Finland are all doing better than you and Germany so there’s that too awesome, for real
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: April 17, 2020, 05:08:54 AM

But everybody knows Scandinavia does better in everything, we are all used to that.  awesome, for real
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: April 17, 2020, 05:24:38 AM

Ireland’s total cases to date per capita is already substantially higher than Germany’s (almost 2x) and basically at Italy-levels right now so that’s not good.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I have to admit to being a little confused on why. Ireland has been making the right noises and certainly seemed to be being stricter in reaction than the UK. Was it just the case that they were  significantly further along in terms of spread than the UK? Didn't seem to be the case from the reporting at the time I saw.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: April 17, 2020, 05:25:06 AM

Yeah well Norway, Iceland and Finland are all doing better than you and Germany so there’s that too awesome, for real
Finland, in particular, is doing amazingly well as Finland has a devastatingly gorgeous Prime Minister. 

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: April 17, 2020, 05:29:28 AM

Hmm, Finland and Germany are doing well? And so is New Zealand?

Maybe having women in charge is a good thing, no?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: April 17, 2020, 05:36:08 AM

Finland, in particular, is doing amazingly well as Finland has a devastatingly gorgeous Prime Minister. 

Okay, I saw a picture the other day and thought "it was probably just good lighting", but holy god damn!

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #553 on: April 17, 2020, 11:32:36 AM

and now for something completely unrelated:

awesome, for real I have a ticket on Finnish airlines to fly into Helsinki next month 5/15/20...  why so serious?

guessing that is a thousand dollars I might never see again (they made the ticket good for a year, but yeah.. )

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #554 on: April 17, 2020, 11:51:08 AM

It's safer to be in Finland than the US. You may want to fly over (assuming they let you in after a quarantine period) and just not leave until this is all over (for now).

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #555 on: April 17, 2020, 12:17:37 PM

Finland is led by five women, with all but one younger than 35.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: April 17, 2020, 01:32:36 PM

The projections in the US that I have been following are suddenly more optimistic.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

We'll see.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #557 on: April 17, 2020, 02:21:27 PM

I don't understand how that site is making its projections. Way too many countries and US states are all peaking at or around May 1st for total deaths and then flat-lining right after no matter how many days its been since their peak daily deaths.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #558 on: April 17, 2020, 02:30:43 PM

I've been watching those numbers for my state and I think they might be working under the assumption that our leaders are not going to try to force every business they can to reopen right about the time we should be keeping them closed.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: April 17, 2020, 02:59:57 PM

The projections in the US that I have been following are suddenly more optimistic.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

We'll see.

Why do I feel like Trump grabbed his Sharpie marker and drew the line he wanted inside the "we have no fucking clue" sized area of uncertainty?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: