Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:37:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 250929 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #245 on: March 21, 2020, 10:43:05 PM

It's not that <20 can't get it. It's that 10-20 have very few hospitalizations and 0-9 barely get symptoms. Also, 0-9 are apparently terrible at transmitting it.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: March 21, 2020, 10:50:40 PM

Where did you see that they're terrible at transmitting it?  They are less likely to have coughing fits, if that is what you mean, but little kids with the virus put their mouths on everything. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: March 22, 2020, 06:19:47 AM

Any supermarket that isn't sticking a limit on what customers can buy re: toilet paper and a few other things is either indifferent to profiteering or maybe is even involved in it. It's pretty clear that it's flying off the shelves because goons are buying all of it for resale.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: March 22, 2020, 08:42:06 AM

Not sure about the US but certainly in the UK the situation is much less down to hoarding or panic buying and actually a symptom of the 'just in time', maximally lean supply chain management system that makes modern supermarkets profitable. Supply is very closely calibrated to normal, seasonal, consumption patterns. A 10% increase because people are grabbing a few extra packs of pasta or suddenly getting an extra couple of tinned beans each trip quickly adds up to empty shelves. The psychological effect of seeing things getting sold out means other people buying crap they normally wouldn't because there isn't anything else and even though deliveries are still coming through, the shelves aren't staying stocked because modern food supply chains cannot easily or quickly adjust for sudden changes in consumption even if those changes aren't especially large.

There are certainly cases of people buying a lot more than they need but, in the UK at least, they aren't impacting things on a systemic level. They're assholes and easy to point blame at but  shelves are empty because of all the people following the sensible advice of stocking up a little bit extra on all your normal shopping trips with durable goods.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #249 on: March 22, 2020, 09:48:16 AM

Ap­ro­pos UK:

Ohhhhh, I see.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: March 22, 2020, 11:19:54 AM

UK and Australia both seem to be behind the curve, so to speak.  It is going to get nasty.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: March 22, 2020, 11:24:34 AM

Spain looks like it's on a sharper curve than even the UK. It's both impressive and terrifying and leaves me really wondering what the fuck is going on there considering how laissez faire the UK response has been.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: March 22, 2020, 11:33:18 AM

Not sure about the US but certainly in the UK the situation is much less down to hoarding or panic buying and actually a symptom of the 'just in time', maximally lean supply chain management system that makes modern supermarkets profitable. Supply is very closely calibrated to normal, seasonal, consumption patterns. A 10% increase because people are grabbing a few extra packs of pasta or suddenly getting an extra couple of tinned beans each trip quickly adds up to empty shelves. The psychological effect of seeing things getting sold out means other people buying crap they normally wouldn't because there isn't anything else and even though deliveries are still coming through, the shelves aren't staying stocked because modern food supply chains cannot easily or quickly adjust for sudden changes in consumption even if those changes aren't especially large.

There are certainly cases of people buying a lot more than they need but, in the UK at least, they aren't impacting things on a systemic level. They're assholes and easy to point blame at but  shelves are empty because of all the people following the sensible advice of stocking up a little bit extra on all your normal shopping trips with durable goods.

While all this is true, it is worth adding that supply chains couldn't cope with these sorts of change in demand in the past either. And would regularly leave shops without random things for no good reason.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: March 22, 2020, 11:50:15 AM

Spain looks like it's on a sharper curve than even the UK. It's both impressive and terrifying and leaves me really wondering what the fuck is going on there considering how laissez faire the UK response has been.

I've been ignoring everything except deaths because differences in testing policy seem too big to make the case count useful. On that basis today was a good day in the UK, I was mentally braced for 100 dead following the Italy curve and we only got 47.

On deaths though, Spain has gone from 350 to 1700 in a week. Italy took roughly the same amount of time between those two totals. The UK is on 14 day delay from Italy, Spain is about 7 days behind Italy. But the death curve looks identical in every Western country that has lost enough people to make the data useful.

If you want to explore data and really fuck with your mental health. This site is pretty good.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:19:58 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: March 22, 2020, 01:38:33 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #255 on: March 22, 2020, 02:21:55 PM

the entire recovery metric is a big ol question mark, i guarantee tens of thousands have recovered without ever having even gone to a doctor
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: March 22, 2020, 02:26:46 PM

True but if they diagnose someone, then don't hear from them or have a death certificate on them in 45 days I would say most likely recovered...
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: March 22, 2020, 04:27:14 PM

I'm also betting a lot of "recovered" people have fibrosis that is going to shorten their lives dramatically.  Some of the early data out of China indicated that a lot of the people that thought they came through this fairly cleanly have significant fibrosis.

Most of the world is either being fuckwatts or are being cautious - both are old news.  I'm really watching for news on two countries: China and North Korea. 

I want to see what happens in China when they go back to work and this virus is floating around freely in the world (and likely still living in freezers, living in jackasses that snuck past sheltering, etc..)  I'm betting they have a fairly significant resurgence, despite precautions. 

I'm also curious as everything as to what is really going on in North Korea.  If that country goes into a horror story it could create entirely different types of chaos.  Unfortunately, we never know what is going on there until the spy planes catch sight of the mass graves.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: March 22, 2020, 04:48:10 PM

Hey, remember how I just helped my kid move five states? Guess who furloughs starting tomorrow.

For bonus fun? He's still registered as an employee in Texas -- he never officially started his new position in his new state. And his address is still Texas, because he hasn't changed it.

I have no idea where he should apply for unemployment legally.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #259 on: March 22, 2020, 04:57:14 PM

Furloughed employees often don't qualify as they are still officially "on the books" of the company, just not working/getting paid.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: March 22, 2020, 05:49:37 PM

Furloughed employees often don't qualify as they are still officially "on the books" of the company, just not working/getting paid.
Furloughed workers qualify in Texas.
schild
Administrator

Reply #261 on: March 22, 2020, 07:42:28 PM

Furloughed workers qualify in Texas.

Apply in Texas. Why the fuck not who cares. Apply in both places.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: March 22, 2020, 08:15:33 PM

The one damn thing Abbot (our moron fucking governor) has done right is waive a lot of the unemployment barriers. He's literally done nothing else about this crisis.
schild
Administrator

Reply #263 on: March 22, 2020, 08:16:26 PM

The one damn thing Abbot (our moron fucking governor) has done right is waive a lot of the unemployment barriers. He's literally done nothing else about this crisis.

First state to have drivethrough testing and we were expanding before any other state.

But yeah, it's still a fair statement. He's been utterly useless. The cities have been doing decently though.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: March 22, 2020, 08:34:59 PM

First state to have drivethrough testing and we were expanding before any other state.

But yeah, it's still a fair statement. He's been utterly useless. The cities have been doing decently though.
It's been the cities leading on that.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #265 on: March 22, 2020, 08:38:33 PM

Intensive care doctors and nurses in Italy.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #266 on: March 22, 2020, 08:49:50 PM

What the fuck? Is that from wearing masks 24/7?

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #267 on: March 22, 2020, 08:58:09 PM

Yes. Full protective gear in intensive care in a non-stop crisis (triaging who lives or dies) where they can barely take a break.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: March 22, 2020, 08:58:42 PM

Holy crap.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #269 on: March 22, 2020, 09:00:18 PM

One more.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: March 22, 2020, 09:51:10 PM

Hey, remember how I just helped my kid move five states? Guess who furloughs starting tomorrow.

For bonus fun? He's still registered as an employee in Texas -- he never officially started his new position in his new state. And his address is still Texas, because he hasn't changed it.

I have no idea where he should apply for unemployment legally.

He needs to call the DoL line for claimants, explain the situation, and see.  It does vary state by state.

In many/most states, a reduction in hours or furlough would qualify you to collect unemployment under normal circumstances.  Most states are loosening requirements now anyway.  He needs to find out when the DoL claimants line opens for business and call first thing.

In New York, if you leave a job for a new job and then are let go/furloughed from the new position, you would be eligible for benefits as you were a qualifying employee in New York within the last year and lost employment/hours through no fault of your own.  Benefits would be calculated based on your salary at your prior position.

Or, you know, if you had a regular accountant who handled your affairs this would be a great time to ask them to see what the best approach would be...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #271 on: March 22, 2020, 10:10:42 PM

What the fuck? Is that from wearing masks 24/7?
Yes, with an N95 mask or equivalent you need an air tight seal around your nose and mouth or as close as you can get for it to be effective. This is one of the reasons why, at least in the West, face masks aren't recommended unless you yourself are sick or you are a caregiver -- you can't get an air tight seal with those types of masks.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #272 on: March 23, 2020, 01:32:08 AM

Love Letters Love Letters

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #273 on: March 23, 2020, 04:07:16 AM

The pictures have been faked/altered per photoshop and there’s two versions going around. The original and the version with photoshopped sad eyes and additional wounds.

See https://twitter.com/arscronius/status/1242005457427980288?s=20 for comparisons
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #274 on: March 23, 2020, 05:49:20 AM

Photoshopping that seems unnecessary. The unaltered shot is bad enough.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #275 on: March 23, 2020, 06:05:02 AM

Yeah it's hard to use the word "faked" when this is how the originals look. Okay, so someone has used Photoshop to turn up the volume on a real thing.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #276 on: March 23, 2020, 06:10:03 AM

Having worn a respirator in an industrial setting, I am familiar with that look...but not to that extent.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #277 on: March 23, 2020, 08:01:18 AM

There's 100 surreal things each day about this, but knowing our bus routes are reduced and still not seeing a single person on them as they pass by my house... that's surreal.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: March 23, 2020, 11:43:51 AM

A University of Minnesota doctor formed an ad hoc team of engineers and businesses to create a prototype of an emergency ventilator.  He thinks he can scale it up quickly.

https://cbsloc.al/2Ud4kPP
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: March 23, 2020, 12:03:28 PM

Down town Seattle is now starting to look like what it must be like before a hurricane arrives.

Seen three business that have their windows and doors boarded up with plywood.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: