Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:20:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Black Widow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Widow  (Read 25274 times)
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: August 02, 2021, 09:03:26 AM

I waited until I had a few friends over to pay the 30 bucks so it was pretty much a wash as far as what it would have cost going to the theatre. Also we had the advantage of actually being able to drink beer. We are not one of the lucky people that have a theatre around that does serve.

And In October Disney is releasing it to the general Disney+ subscribers so its looking like around a 90 day window.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #106 on: August 03, 2021, 07:33:20 AM

They want $30 for it on top of the subscription? JFC

I didn't mind the cost for two reasons.

Firstly it is pay once watch as much as you want. Second they were completely upfront about how long you need to wait if you don't pay.

Neither of these things make it better value. They just made it feel like making a grown up decision to buy a thing from a company that wasn't playing silly games.
I still feel that's high, but I do appreciate they are being transparent about the service options. And eventually I should see it on my subscription, which isn't going anywhere any time soon. I just wish I could get the Tom Spider-Mans and Into the Spider-Verse. If only Marvel could being all the kids home (esp playing Marvel's Avengers and having to listen to nonsense about Inhumans when it really should be mutants...).

We were talking about the fragmentation and monetization of all these companies last night (thanks Olympics, btw NBC sucks balls at presentation...use the app but it still sucks to navigate). The one I have been very happy with is Disney+. Not sure how long they can keep this content train rolling, but it's been actual quality 1st party content, vs the wasteland of shitty Netflix shit.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: August 03, 2021, 08:01:08 AM

Netflix's "fund for 2 years then dump a series" policy means thy can produce content cheap, but is not conductive of fostering talent.

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: August 03, 2021, 10:34:40 AM

Is spiderman and spiderverse not on US Netflix?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: August 03, 2021, 12:19:16 PM

Is spiderman and spiderverse not on US Netflix?
It may be, but I'd prefer not to pay a Netflix subscription for Marvel stuff :)

I'm trying to get out of Netflix entirely, because it's a shallow bucket of shit at this point, but the old lady keeps asking me to keep it. I'm about to have her get her own goddamned account after trying for the hundredth time to find something worth watching on it. I guess I could've watched Spider-Man again, but we're looping back around on that line of reasoning.

Marvel has been showing people how to do things and, at least with Mando, Disney is ready to play ball. Watching the Loki making-of, it was shocking to see that much blue and green screen after seeing so much done in the Volume. They need to scale that up and share it with Marvel imo.

edited to add: oops, almost forgot 'fuck Fox' as well
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: August 07, 2021, 07:06:35 PM

Anywhere I've seen a reputable news site report on the likely contract wording, they've said it will reference a 'theatrical release' or 'wide theatrical release' rather than an exclusive one.

And scarjo is arguing that must mean exclusive.

If it specifically says exclusive theatrical release I seriously doubt things would have got this far.

But the case seems to be based on perceived understanding of what words probably meant rather than what they actually say.

Her case is pretty tight. The contract specifies a "wide theatrical release like the other films in the MCU"

And the other films in the MCU had theater exclusive releases.

And the standard is generally what "words meant at the time of the signing".

And Disney, instead of saying the boilerplate things that you normally do when you're in the right. Attacked her for "not respecting the people who died in the Pandemic" or other some such tripe. They know they're in the wrong and have decided that PR was the better weapon.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #111 on: August 07, 2021, 07:39:33 PM

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell” -- Carl Sandburg
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: August 07, 2021, 08:06:33 PM

It's kind of weird--they're already in bad odor because of trying to cheat a bunch of authors with some utter fucking nonsense about how when they bought other companies that had royalty contracts with those authors, the royalties became voided because that was the old company and now the new one owns the shit the authors wrote but not the contracts under which they wrote it.

I mean, jeebus fuck guys, how much more money do you need? Is the Donald Trump model of "sign a contract, refuse to pay, make people settle for pennies on the dollar" really all that appealing in terms of outcomes?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: August 07, 2021, 09:18:09 PM

Are you surprised this is coming from the same company that has copyrighted Mickey Mouse in perpetuity? They really want ALL of the money.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: August 09, 2021, 07:52:44 AM

That. I'm happy with Disney's overall treatment of Marvel and Star Wars, but at the end of the day it's Disney. The people who would lock children's movies in a vault for an indeterminate amount of time to pressure parents into buying more crap. We had a shelf of Disney stuff in the back of the library so if something was stolen or damaged, we could replace it despite it not being sold by Disney because it was 'in the vault'.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: August 09, 2021, 09:13:06 AM

Disney pretty much tried to Bury "Beauty and the Beast" for a long time, and only brought it out again when their god awful "Live Version" was made.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 03:04:40 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #116 on: October 01, 2021, 11:52:50 AM

Hollywood Accounting is always full of bullshit, but not including "theatrical window premium streaming" in "box office" is particularly bullshit. ScarJo is at her sell-by date, and this is probably the last big movie she's going to have. No bridges left to burn.

--Dave

Or she didn't actually burn her bridges, Disney would settle, and she'll get to continue to work on big movies with them. Not that I'm expecting much out of Tower of Terror, mind you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Black Widow  
Jump to: