Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:36:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Black Widow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Widow  (Read 25272 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: December 03, 2019, 11:42:34 AM

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 11:47:29 AM

Looks pretty cool.  I’m in.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 12:10:53 PM

I got a bit of a Winter Soldier vibe and it has Taskmaster. I'm in.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 02:38:44 PM

I hope this makes like 10 trillion dollars and Disney is like "Huh, maybe we shouldn't have killed her off and waited so long to give her a solo movie..."

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 04:12:35 PM

I guess? Didn't really grab me. I've never thought she was all that interesting a character in the comics either simply because they could never go beyond recycling her core story: "Maybe she will betray the male character she is presently being friendly to! Maybe she has a secret she is not telling!" Like, when they dropped the bomb that the Black Panther had been spying on the Avengers, that was surprising and interesting. With Black Widow, the question is really: when is she not spying/double-crossing/etc. Which is a great question of characters in a spy millieu, but when they cross into a non-spy story, at some point, it makes them one-note.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 02:30:27 AM

It is only a few seconds but the action seemed punchier than usual for marvel.

I'm a little disappointed they don't seem to want to vary the formula even a little for a character like this who could have an obvious low risk James-Bond-but-a-girl approach instead. OTOH the trailer screams 'but hey look we're really good at doing this exact thing' so sure why fuck around with what works.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 02:36:43 AM

I hope this makes like 10 trillion dollars and Disney is like "Huh, maybe we shouldn't have killed her off and waited so long to give her a solo movie..."

She only died its not like she can't get better.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 12:00:31 PM

Too little to tell... the small sample seemed a bit random.  It gave me the vibe of a sitcom spinoff where a character you've seen for 8 years suddenly reveals they have a bunch of friends in another city that you've never seen before, but that they consider family...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 03:02:34 PM

The trailer didn't excite me enough to get over the major MCU fatigue I have right now.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 04:19:28 PM

I don't think you guys are giving the gal who was the Asian Black Panther enough credit.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 06:39:16 PM

never ever going to happen
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 02:57:41 PM

If anything being a prequel for a dead character is going to lower interest.

I am the .00000001428%
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 09:06:51 AM

If anything being a prequel for a dead character is going to lower interest.

Yeah this movie should struggle in theory, probably depends on the excitement level just to see something MCU related that may build up if this is the first MCU film of 2020? But again prequels are fucking lame as hell. Super disappointing that this is the Widow solo flick we get.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 10:33:12 AM

In the scheme of the MCU this doesn't matter, but this looks like what I would want out of a black widow movie.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 11:48:12 AM

It could eventually matter in the MCU if they have Florence Pugh go on to be the new Black Widow in future movies (which still isn't likely to increase the box office grosses on this of course).
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 12:55:19 PM

I'm betting this does matter for the MCU ... I bet we hear the word Thunderbolts will likely begin in this film and carry forward for Phase 4 and 5.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 03:06:16 PM

You know, that's not a bad thought--imagine Red Guardian as the first Thunderbolt, Zemo from Civil War, Ghost from Ant-Man and the Wasp, etc.--not so much "the villains are heroes, whoops it's a trick" as "covert ops team that could turn on the good guys at any moment". I bet they're waiting to see what Suicide Squad directed by Gunn looks like so they can go with a different tone to whatever he does.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #17 on: December 08, 2019, 05:12:56 PM

The trailer didn't excite me enough to get over the major MCU fatigue I have right now.

I've had this since before the second Avengers. I just don't care about any of these anymore.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 03:15:31 PM

Switched to watching on TV around then. They are still good, but TV good.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 11:06:49 AM

What is your best guess on th new release date? I'm going with July 2, 2020 - and the release will be a digital home release, not theaters.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: March 30, 2020, 01:38:23 PM

No idea. Even working for a theater chain, Black Widow's release date is the least of my concerns.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 05:27:58 PM

No idea. Even working for a theater chain, Black Widow's release date is the least of my concerns.
...but it is still a concern.

Focusing on the virus for too much of your day is unhealthy.

schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: March 30, 2020, 07:34:34 PM

That is... not a great job to be in right now. My block of homes has 2 affordable housing units with 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, owned by the city, haven't been filled for the 3 years they own them.

So it seems to me you could... just stop doing work.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 07:51:08 PM

...but it is still a concern.

Focusing on the virus for too much of your day is unhealthy.

I mean even in specific regards to movies, it's not really an immediate concern. There's going to be a lag time regardless between when there's a clear date when theaters (and everything else will reopen) and when studios start releasing new movies. Studios are going to have to ramp up marketing and such, and reorganize all their release calendars. Mulan was supposed to come out a few days ago, so that would probably be Disney's first priority.

Is it possible they'd just release Black Widow on VOD? Sure, but it'll get pirated like fuck within 2 hours of releasing. I don't think Disney really needs to rush it out to release.

Honestly the bigger concern is that if things go on too long, some (most, all?) theater chains might not survive long enough to reopen. You can see that AMC furloughed everyone including the CEO. Cinemark already laid off all the theater staff and announced deeper cuts today along with the CEO and board of directors giving up their pay. Regal laid off all their theater staff. Not sure where they're at with their corporate people. So yeah, Black Widow release date not really the priority at the moment.
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 09:27:15 PM

Alamo set aside $2m to pay all their employees through this. They're willing to set aside more.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 11:26:15 PM

Alamo set aside $2m to pay all their employees through this. They're willing to set aside more.

$2,000,000 across the entire staff (and 80% of their corporate people who are also out of work) isn't going to last all that long.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 02:54:52 AM

The existing owners might go bust but the theatre itself would be an asset that doesn't go away even if the company folds.

The real question is what happens if people are unwilling to go to theatres on account of them being dingy enclosed spaces where other people with dubious hygenie standards gather.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #27 on: March 31, 2020, 09:06:09 AM

The real question is what happens if people are unwilling to go to theatres on account of them being dingy enclosed spaces where other people with dubious hygenie standards gather.

Once this shit is over, I'm going to be really happy to go to a movie theater where I can have someone else bring me food and drinks while I watch a movie on a screen that's bigger than my house.  Which reminds me, I need to buy a Drafthouse gift certificate.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 31, 2020, 10:14:31 AM

She only died its not like she can't get better.
She didn't just die.  She got older.  That is something Hollywood rarely, if ever, overlooks in a female actress.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 31, 2020, 10:41:06 AM

What is your best guess on th new release date? I'm going with July 2, 2020 - and the release will be a digital home release, not theaters.

If it was going to get a home release they wouldn't have changed the date.

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 31, 2020, 11:16:15 AM

If it was going to get a home release they wouldn't have changed the date.
They had to change the date while they figured out what to do. Just taking it off the schedule gave them time to plan.  The question is what can they do?  They can either delay the entire MCU (including Disney plus, which is pushing Marvel new products as a way to pull in new subscribers), present this out of order with the Marvel films (there is evidence BW sets up F&WS), or release it a bit later on home release.  If you look at the Sony release changes and what the Chinese basketball leagues are doing as indicators, I do not think Disney will have a movie in theatres until the holidays.

So - push everything 8 months, sacrifice the Widow movie to PPV to keep things on track for an only slightly delayed Disney+ Schedule (yes, we all know it is already delayed some), or allow the interconnectivity of the Disney+ and movies to potentially cause issues, incuding F&WS potentially spoiling events of BW.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 03, 2020, 02:22:31 PM

So push everything seems to be the answer so far - Black Widow is now taking the original Eternals slot in November - 6 months later, and all the other films are being pushed one slot, it seems.

I'm betting we get Winter Soldier in October.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 03, 2020, 03:49:40 PM

But that's still in the Fall.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #33 on: April 11, 2020, 03:34:32 AM

We will be in the "second wave' lockdown in the fall/winter so they should  just release this shit on PPV and take the loss.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 11, 2020, 05:15:27 AM

We will be in the "second wave' lockdown in the fall/winter so they should  just release this shit on PPV and take the loss.
A lot of people are gambling a lot of money on there not being a second wave shut down.  The NFL, big movies, etc... 

However, as we have a vaccine in human trial, and you can bet that some people are going to get the vaccine before it completes human trials, the gambles the rich are willing to push for may get more agressive as time goes by....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Black Widow  
Jump to: