Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:27:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread  (Read 79293 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #595 on: December 29, 2021, 07:48:20 PM

but I can imagine that they only had enough money for 8 episodes and needed a big ending.

They didn't even have a "big" ending though. That great battle looked like it was taking place in a hallway and even the CGIed monsters didn't look like there were more than 20 of them at a time. They really need to learn proper battle staging from GoT.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #596 on: December 29, 2021, 08:40:26 PM

My wife and I were straight up laughing at the Trolloc 'army'. I've seen more people assault Stormwind than that.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: December 30, 2021, 02:30:13 PM

This popped up in my feed today. Rafe is the showrunner, and it turns out the plan from the start was to diverge from the Books with the full understanding that the hardcore book fans wouldn't like it.

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1474093697885220871/photo/1

So I guess the message is something like 'If you read the books and really know the lore, we didn't make the show for you intentionally because we are gambling on attracting a different audience."  I can respect that.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 02:34:53 PM by slog »

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: December 30, 2021, 02:44:18 PM

Ok I'll write a lot more about this later, but for now I'll start with this: before the first episode aired he did a very popular AMA with the fans bragging about how well he knew the books, declaring how much respect he had for the source material, and assuaged fears of, well, exactly what happened. Now, he is bragging about how next to no one on his writing staff has read so much as a summary blurb about the series, and about how much better he can do than RJ

If it was the plan all along to heavily diverge from the series, then he didn't have the mother fucking guts to say so when asked before things started. The more I look into the show runner the more I see what an entitled hack, and asshole to any fans of the material he claims to be adapting, including the woman he hired as a WoT consultant.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: December 30, 2021, 03:48:16 PM

Dude is just reconning his own story to make himself seem less incompetent.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 12:59:59 AM by lamaros »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: December 30, 2021, 05:49:13 PM

I kind of doubt they attracted some other audience.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #601 on: December 31, 2021, 12:44:05 AM

Ya the bull and shit are swirling around those statements.

Hic sunt dracones.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: December 31, 2021, 05:27:31 AM

I kind of doubt they attracted some other audience.

It's a great question.  The only thing I found in 20 seconds of googling is a Reddit post.  Assuming it's 100% accurate  Ohhhhh, I see. , the show has vastly exceeded Amazon's expectation at 15 to 20 million viewers per week and we should get at least a season 3.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: December 31, 2021, 06:20:30 AM

First episode did seem to have gotten a lot of viewers; I just find it hard to believe it retained them all the way to the end.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: December 31, 2021, 06:24:33 AM

Especially without the generous amounts of T&A that graced the early seasons of Game of Thrones.

Hic sunt dracones.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: December 31, 2021, 12:55:44 PM

I am morally offended by a show that choses to show extreme closeups of gory injuries but will not show a single titty.

I am the .00000001428%
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: December 31, 2021, 02:12:06 PM

I am morally offended by a show that choses to show extreme closeups of gory injuries but will not show a single titty.
They probably blew their entire budget for Tits on season 2 and the Aiel.   I mean, it's going to be comical seeing how completely they butcher that entire culture given there is no way they can present them like they are in the books and keep the show at it's current tame rating.  The Aiel were gratuitous nudity everywhere.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: December 31, 2021, 02:59:06 PM

They showed an extra's boob or two in the bath scene.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: December 31, 2021, 03:10:54 PM

"There's 57 tits out there!"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #609 on: December 31, 2021, 04:13:10 PM

There's at least 2 complete boobs in the writer's room.  why so serious?

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: December 31, 2021, 07:20:02 PM

If this survives 3 seasons I'll pick it up or until I read the books and only one guy I know kinda sold me on the series but it didn't feel like a must read "right now".
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 02:43:37 PM by MediumHigh »
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: January 01, 2022, 12:01:23 PM

My theory is this show gets supported until Jeffery's shiny new 500 million dollar toy LotR show gets rolling, then it gets quietly dropped.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #612 on: January 02, 2022, 05:41:03 AM

My theory is this show gets supported until Jeffery's shiny new 500 million dollar toy LotR show gets rolling, then it gets quietly dropped.

I'm hoping for 4 seasons.  5 seasons would be ok, but anymore than that is usually synonymous with the show creators and actors wanting to move on to something else and the quality goes to hell.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: January 02, 2022, 05:57:38 AM

*watches as this turns into the Simpsons and never ends*

Hic sunt dracones.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: January 02, 2022, 07:53:23 AM

*watches as this turns into the Simpsons and never ends*

The wheel of time turns and ages come and pass leaving mediocre books that turn into mediocre tv shows and even those are long forgotten when a new shiny tv show comes along.

I am the .00000001428%
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #615 on: January 02, 2022, 01:06:39 PM

Until the Bezos Reborn appears again, able to channel The One Budget, and remakes the world.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: January 02, 2022, 01:47:02 PM

I think the Bezos is somebody else in this whole saga. Rhymes with "Fark Gun".
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #617 on: January 02, 2022, 02:42:57 PM

The show wouldn't exist without Bezos asking of his executives: "Where's my Game of Thrones?" (I'm not making that up either), so whatever else he is to us, he deserves a high place in this shows cosmology.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: January 02, 2022, 03:04:20 PM

The show wouldn't exist without Bezos asking of his executives: "Where's my Game of Thrones?" (I'm not making that up either), so whatever else he is to us, he deserves a high place in this shows cosmology.

He's supposedly not running Amazon anymore.  Supposedly.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #619 on: January 02, 2022, 04:51:03 PM

He saved the Expanse too.

I am the .00000001428%
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #620 on: January 05, 2022, 11:45:20 AM

Well at least we have identified the successor to Uwe Boll
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #621 on: January 07, 2022, 09:55:28 AM

Well at least we have identified the successor to Uwe Boll

I had a similar shower thought, the last episode felt like Uwe Boll's Wheel of Time. This last episode was a lay up. The timeline and activities layed out in the book would have still worked with all of the nonsense they had already baked in. Instead it just felt like they ad libbed the entire thing. You could have ended up with a lot of cool shit, but instead you have Egwene and Nynaeve the batteries, Perrin the useless, Morraine the useless and now even more useless, Shienar getting stomped, and Rand still being an ineffective and somewhat powerless, whiny moron. Seriously, him travelling and chunking the trollocs would have been awesone. Additionally, they fumbled the Forsaken introduction and the seals.

Plus the Seanchan are now dumb. Way to alpha strike an 8 year old.

-Rasix
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #622 on: January 07, 2022, 10:33:27 AM

To be slightly fair, the last two episodes apparently got messed up because of the covid gap.  Even ignoring losing Matt unexpectedly, I guess they weren't able to get locations and shit they originally wanted, so had to adjust.  But having said that, I'm sure it would still be shit on a shingle.

This whole thing is a mess.  Last episode killed any hope that I had.  Getting 82% on RT is just a damning indictment of the general critics they pick up considering how badly acted and edited this whole thing was.  Though it's telling if you switch it to Top Critic filter and it drops to a hard Rotten score.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: January 07, 2022, 02:02:28 PM

Getting 82% on RT is just a damning indictment of the general critics they pick up considering how badly acted and edited this whole thing was.  

The acting was above my minimum acceptance criteria (which ain't all that high).  I can forgive the casting and the sets/camera work is good enough to not flop this show by themselves but I seriously hope the director never gets hired for anything more serious than a commercial ever again and the writers can join him.  I could story board a better season 1 than this, whoever put these idiots in charge and gave them the green light should be fired.  If Jordan was alive I don't think he would have let this happen as such these guys just shit all over a dead man.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 02:04:46 PM by Salamok »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: January 07, 2022, 04:24:51 PM

Seriously? Jordan himself had no fucking sense of how to control his own series, he would have just counted the money (or his wife would have) and said whatever, go ahead. Not saying that this season was in any way good, but let's not fool ourselves about the quality of the source material. Eye of the World is only narratively tight because it's the book that is most ripping-off other work.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: January 07, 2022, 04:38:29 PM

Pushes up glasses, achktually, Jordan was ambivalent at best, and somewhat hostile to his work being adopted to film or TV.

Seriously? Jordan himself had no fucking sense of how to control his own series, he would have just counted the money (or his wife would have) and said whatever, go ahead.

While the first part of the sentence is true, I dont think the second part is even remotely fair. As you can see, I have several issues with the series, it's writing, and its author, but let's get one thing straight, he cared about WoT quite a bit. When he was diagnosed with amyloidosis in late 2005 he could have just brought the series with him to the grave. He could have let it gone fallow, and not given a shit who picked it up after his death. But he took a lot of time out between sucking down rads to write insanely detailed notes to make sure his successor finished his series how he intended. I really dont think he would have sat there while someone rewrote all his characters to suit their own agendas, right from the start.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 04:43:18 PM by Ashamanchill »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #626 on: January 07, 2022, 04:53:51 PM

Mid-to-late '90's Jordan, who was happily stretching out a 5-part series into this monstrosity would have had no problem cashing the check GRRM style. Once he got a look at what his legacy would be if he died without finishing the series, probably less so. Impending death has a way of focusing a motherfucker.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: January 07, 2022, 05:24:42 PM

I disagree. It's right there in Khalduns statement.

Seriously? Jordan himself had no fucking sense of how to control his own series, he would have just counted the money (or his wife would have) and said whatever, go ahead.

The reason he couldn't control the length of his series is because he fell waaaaaaay too in love with his own characters and world, to the point where none of it could be pruned. See also: Our debate about Harriet as Editor. That's why he started adding in POVs from people that reasonable people didn't care the fuck less about. And for those that had the official compendium released after his death, he had an excruciating and very neck beardy ranking of every single One Power user, woman or man, to ever exist in the series. He would have flipped out at someone casting a 6'1" Perrin instead of a 6'2" Perrin louder than any fan.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 05:26:52 PM by Ashamanchill »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: January 07, 2022, 05:33:35 PM

Yea I'm with Ashaman; he would have micromanaged the project to death, and there's a decent chance it just would have been scrapped as no showrunner would want to put up with him.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: February 11, 2022, 04:00:02 PM

The reason he couldn't control the length of his series is because he fell waaaaaaay too in love with his own characters and world, to the point where none of it could be pruned.
Pretty sure that corresponded with him replacing his editor with his wife (or was that yet another doorstop fantasy writer?). Anyways definitely fell into the "Too big to edit" level of sucess.

A good editor is important, and one of their jobs is to take a ax to your book and chop out vast swathes of useless bloat. Characters, plots, plot threads, ideas, hooks, places, everything. Chop, chop, chop down to something more minimalist.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread  
Jump to: