Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dark Phoenix 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Phoenix  (Read 6680 times)
Raguel
Terracotta Army

on: June 18, 2019, 09:47:39 AM

I actually enjoyed this movie. Some really good moments, even though it's obvious some actors don't really want to be there.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 09:22:14 PM

I mean, would you want to be?

Imagine making this crap when those other guys are over there making the MCU.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 12:40:47 PM

I watched it. There are two types of X-Men movies. Good ones that might not hold up over time but are still decent, and really fucking bad ones.

This was terrible from start to finish, so the latter. Just an utter waste of time and talent (i.e. MacAvoy). Jennifer Lawrence so clearly did not want to be there that her character was basically just repeating lines she spoke to her agent. Jessica Chastain and that entire alien race subplot was just pants on head retarded.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 05:36:32 PM

To be fair, they were faced with two problems midstream - they all knew the Disney merger was coming, and their "franchise" was likely done, and they discovered their story had a lot of overlap with upcoming Marvel, so they had to change it.

Have not seen it.  Knew it'd be bad.  Will eventually see it when bored.  Will regret it, most likely, but I saw the rest of the films, so what the hell.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 05:59:47 PM

I watched it. There are two types of X-Men movies. Good ones that might not hold up over time but are still decent, and really fucking bad ones.

This was terrible from start to finish, so the latter. Just an utter waste of time and talent (i.e. MacAvoy). Jennifer Lawrence so clearly did not want to be there that her character was basically just repeating lines she spoke to her agent. Jessica Chastain and that entire alien race subplot was just pants on head retarded.

There's two types of X-men movies. Bad ones that may have some good scenes in them, and Logan.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 06:08:49 PM

There's two types of X-men movies. Bad ones that may have some good scenes in them, and Logan.
I'll say that the very first X-Men movie, for the time, was good.  It doesn't hold up today, but it was a huge stride forward.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 06:39:51 PM

In terms of a team of superheroes not looking ridiculous, and decent superpower special effects sure it was "good". There was also some casting that ended up being great eventually. In terms of plot, structure, and some of the dialogue, it was bad then and it's bad now. I was pretty underwhelmed when I saw it in the theater and never really revisited it until a year or two back. It was a little better than I remembered but still not what I would consider good.

Likewise X2 tends to be remembered fondly, but really it's just the Nightcrawler at the White House scene and the attack on the mansion that made the movie seem better than it actually was. I did like First Class and Days of Future Past when I saw them. I think there was more to like in them than the first two X-men movies, but I still don't think either of them was telling a particularly interesting story and First Class has some very uninteresting villains.

Last Stand, Apocalypse, and the first Wolverine movie are terrible. The second Wolverine movie is fine but I'll never be compelled to watch it again, and I barely remember it now. Continuity between the movies is horrendous ensuring the franchise won't even hold up as something worth rewatching even if it didn't end on two of the worst movies.

The Deadpool movies are dumb fun and watchable enough. That's really the most charitable I can be about anything other than Logan. It's the only X-men related movie in the franchise that I was ever eager to rewatch.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 08:25:49 AM

This guy did a clipless review of Dark Phoenix using toys and it was pretty hilarious. Probably could substitute for actually seeing the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46jXZRGp01I

Likewise X2 tends to be remembered fondly, but really it's just the Nightcrawler at the White House scene and the attack on the mansion that made the movie seem better than it actually was.

I really enjoyed the performance of the man who played the main villain in X2. Absolute joy to watch, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 08:40:12 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 04:09:23 PM

Brian Cox? He's great in everything. You should watch Succession.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 05:30:55 PM

Finally saw this.  Wow.  So bad.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 06:35:25 PM

This guy did a clipless review of Dark Phoenix using toys and it was pretty hilarious. Probably could substitute for actually seeing the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46jXZRGp01I

Likewise X2 tends to be remembered fondly, but really it's just the Nightcrawler at the White House scene and the attack on the mansion that made the movie seem better than it actually was.

I really enjoyed the performance of the man who played the main villain in X2. Absolute joy to watch, in my opinion.

He's good but the odd thing there was using Styker as the main villain given that his only appearance in the comics prior to that was in one graphic novel 20 years before X2 came out. Obviously not something the general audience would care about but a bit baffling regardless.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 08:33:45 PM

The video review done with action figures was about 100X more entertaining than this movie.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 10:49:04 AM

"Oh come on, the Avengers had to blow up three cities and an embassy before the government turned on them and we get boned over a single house?"

"YUP! BYE!"

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 11:15:32 AM

What I keep finding fascinating about Hollywood is that they can have something fail badly or at least underperform and then someone can come along and figure out a way to salvage the property--so in this case from X3 to First Class--and then they eventually call up some of the people who failed badly the last time and say, "Can you make another failure kind of like the one you did before"? Those are the moment where you realize that some of the people making decisions just don't care very much whether the studio makes the most money it can.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 12:25:57 PM

I always see it as "the studio" guys know they are smarter than everyone else, and certainly can't be wrong, and the people they usually fall back on when the good creators tell them to get fucked know their job performance relies more on making nice with the guys paying for the film to get made and massaging their egos than on making good films.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 01:36:37 AM

Those are always good:

Dark Phoenix Pitch Meeting https://youtu.be/w0s9mUXhHZ8

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 10:35:05 PM

Those are always good:

Pitch meetings are the only reason I check that channel.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 01:19:14 AM

Those are always good:

Pitch meetings are the only reason I check that channel.

Checking a channel once in a while for such a treat is no problem at all, though. One might even say its barely an inconvenience.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 06:40:33 AM

I didn't even know there was other things in that channel until just now.

I am the .00000001428%
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 11:43:24 AM

I didn't even know there was other things in that channel until just now.

His channel is tight.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dark Phoenix  
Jump to: