Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:29:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Picard 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Picard  (Read 45554 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: May 19, 2020, 03:48:53 PM

I'd love that. DS9 is the Star Trek series with the fewest followups. Voyager was a tub of crap compared to DS9 and their crew just goes on and on and on.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #106 on: May 19, 2020, 04:05:46 PM

Considering the last time I saw Avery Brooks he seemed like he was out of his damned mind (The Captains) I'm not sure how that would go.

That said, I think DS9 got the most definitive ending of the series between TNG and ENT.  It doesn't feel like it needs to be revisited.  TNG didn't either if it had actually ended with All Good Things....  I think the existence of Nemesis made this show much more appealing because...that's not a good way to go out.  DS9 went out rather well.

Plus, Rene Auberjonois is dead.  As is Aron Eisenberg. 

I guess if Worf is going to be in the next season it'd be natural for them to pick up some DS9 threads, but I don't feel any great need for a continuation of that story.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: May 19, 2020, 04:58:47 PM

If you need a DS9 follow-up, read the novels. Good stuff.

I don't think S2 Picard needs to do more 90s Trek-reminiscing. It was fine for S1 to help re-establish things and hand-shake to the modern era. Let's go on a new adventure.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: May 19, 2020, 05:16:52 PM

If you need a DS9 follow-up, read the novels. Good stuff.

I don't think S2 Picard needs to do more 90s Trek-reminiscing. It was fine for S1 to help re-establish things and hand-shake to the modern era. Let's go on a new adventure.
If Patrick Stewart can keep going, this show will bring back: Q, all the original cast INCLUDING Denise Crosby and Wil Wheaton, and various characters from every other show, including Enterprise.  They'll probably find Archer's fucking beagle.

Good money is on someone on the ship having a connection to a TNS character.  They're going to mix the new in with the old.  I'm not saying it will be the best thing for them to do, but they'll do it.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: May 19, 2020, 06:38:06 PM

Whatever they decide to do I'm interested in seeing where Picard goes next.

Note: I don't see them ever taking Wil Wheaton back. He seems almost pathetically desperate to get back on Trek but he must have pissed them off somehow from the way they're treating him.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: May 20, 2020, 06:47:35 AM

Stewart was on the View and asked Whoopie to come back.

Picard S1 was mediocre at best if you can ignore all the plot points from all the previous episodes and only concentrate in the literal moment.

It was so bad RLM made a Mr Plinkett about it. It's like 1.5 hours long.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: May 20, 2020, 06:58:37 AM

We were joking that the deus ex machina in the last episode of Picard was gonna be Wesley.

Considering how he left, you could in fact actually do an interesting return for him. Either Picard was surprisingly indifferent to Wesley going off with a highly advanced pedophile and that comes home to roost or maybe Wesley ends up having some other kind of interesting world-building thing going on, some other loose end.

With DS9, you could probably handle Avery Brooks being a complete pothead weirdo in his portrayal of Sisko considering that Sisko is still caught up in all the weirdness of the wormhole aliens and their enemies etc.

I do like the idea of the show being used to do some better world-building and to really engage the rougher edges of the Trek universe. A return to the Klingons and Worf seems like one promising direction but they'd have to decide what to do about Discovery's colossal fuckup of the Klingons. I'd love for them to think about a genuinely alien crewmember--a Gorn, an Andorian, hell how about a Horta?

Maybe something that dives way more deeply into the Q and the entire trope of "godlike aliens" that threads through Trek. I really wish Voyager had been something like Vernor Vinge's space operas--that as the Voyager went deeper into the Quadrant, closer to the galactic core, it was intruding into the space of more ancient 'godlike' civilizations that are terrified of the Borg's ascension (hence why Q accelerated the Federation's encounter with the Borg--because he and his compatriots actually believe in the potential of the Federation to overcome what various 'gods' cannot or will not confront)--that it was almost like the 'fast zone' of Vinge's novels. I could get behind a season arc that fleshed all of that side of Trek out a bit more and made it more complex and twisty and coherent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: May 20, 2020, 01:40:01 PM

I think Q is too off the charts weird for Picard. Despite it also being a gaping hole for Q not to show up and take the opportunity to fuck around with him.

It did best looking at how characters that are not star fleet or equivalent fit into the world. It needs to stay grounded to do that.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: May 20, 2020, 01:55:34 PM

We were joking that the deus ex machina in the last episode of Picard was gonna be Wesley.

Considering how he left, you could in fact actually do an interesting return for him. Either Picard was surprisingly indifferent to Wesley going off with a highly advanced pedophile and that comes home to roost or maybe Wesley ends up having some other kind of interesting world-building thing going on, some other loose end...
He has a blink and you'll miss it scene at the wedding in Nemesis.  Apparently, even the Traveler wanted to get rid of the kid.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #114 on: May 20, 2020, 05:36:51 PM

Considering the people who are making (re: completely fucking up) Picard its funny to posit that they may come up with interesting sci-fi stories rather than more grim-dark, cookie-cutter space garbage.

I though the set-up was good but it went to shit really fast and then went sub-shit in the last few episodes.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: May 20, 2020, 06:39:36 PM

I like Chabon as a writer and I actually liked most of this. I wasn't wild about the wrap-up--the planet of the synthetics looked to me too much like the planet of the Extremely Northern California People in Star Trek: Insurrection. That was where they really needed to whip out the imagination--what is a small culture of all synthetic people like? etc. The Borg-synthetic connection was also shockingly unexplored--they seemed to be setting that up thematically and then, pffft, nothing.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: May 20, 2020, 08:53:07 PM

I think there will be a lot more borg / synthetic in the coming seasons.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: May 21, 2020, 07:33:20 AM

I hope they kill this show and start making Star Trek again. Like just kill the timeline and move forward 50-100 years and start over again with slightly better technology and exploring again. You can travel farther and faster now so like different quadrants and stuff. You can make up new factions etc.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: May 21, 2020, 07:41:30 AM

They already have the problem of technology being too advanced.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: May 21, 2020, 09:02:19 AM

I think I've mentioned it before somewhere, but I remember Stracynzski talking to fans on an old Babylon 5 message board when B5 first came out and the usual contentious subject of whether DS9 was trying to imitate B5 came up. Someone asked JMS what he'd do if they asked him to do a Trek show.

He said, "I'd make it a real first-contact show, where every season was one, maybe two first-contact arcs. I'd take away the transporter. I'd take away the instant contact with Starfleet. I'd make the distances genuinely vast--where they were beyond any hope of quick rescue. I'd take away the replicators, so that they had to resupply from the civilization or planet they were in contact with. I'd make the crew small, so that everyone had to be involved directly in planetary exploration, first-contact research and diplomacy, etc. I'd make the aliens alien. I'd take away the translator."

I thought that was a fucking great proposal, but that it was essentially a reboot. Voyager could have done most of that--damage the ship badly enough that they don't have transporters, replicators, holodecks, and that something doesn't work right about the translator, make them have to trade, etc. But even then, not quite what JMS was proposing.

I suppose you could do something like Star Trek: Andromeda--an experimental drive takes a Federation ship (on purpose) to a neighboring galaxy; the drive has to collect dark matter very slowly via a scoop for five years before it can be used to return. No replicators because something something technobabble; the translators don't work until several years of contacts produce enough commonalities; life is not "humanoids with bumpy foreheads" but some really really different organisms, societies, etc.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #120 on: May 21, 2020, 10:10:36 AM

He said, "I'd make it a real first-contact show, where every season was one, maybe two first-contact arcs. I'd take away the transporter. I'd take away the instant contact with Starfleet. I'd make the distances genuinely vast--where they were beyond any hope of quick rescue. I'd take away the replicators, so that they had to resupply from the civilization or planet they were in contact with. I'd make the crew small, so that everyone had to be involved directly in planetary exploration, first-contact research and diplomacy, etc. I'd make the aliens alien. I'd take away the translator."

It's all fun and games until the nazi space lizards show up.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: May 21, 2020, 10:47:09 AM

... Someone asked JMS what he'd do if they asked him to do a Trek show.

He said, "I'd make it a real first-contact show, where every season was one, maybe two first-contact arcs. I'd take away the transporter. I'd take away the instant contact with Starfleet. I'd make the distances genuinely vast--where they were beyond any hope of quick rescue. I'd take away the replicators, so that they had to resupply from the civilization or planet they were in contact with. I'd make the crew small, so that everyone had to be involved directly in planetary exploration, first-contact research and diplomacy, etc. I'd make the aliens alien. I'd take away the translator." ...
So you're saying the stole 2 show ideas from him because that was the essential pitch for Enterprise. 

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: May 21, 2020, 11:40:04 AM

Pretty much--that was how some fans looked at it (and why JMS said that the lawyers on retainer for B5 told him to stop talking online about ideas he had).
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #123 on: May 21, 2020, 12:16:39 PM

There's also a lot of overlap there with Voyager, for that matter.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: May 21, 2020, 12:29:16 PM

I think I've mentioned it before somewhere, but I remember Stracynzski talking to fans on an old Babylon 5 message board when B5 first came out and the usual contentious subject of whether DS9 was trying to imitate B5 came up. Someone asked JMS what he'd do if they asked him to do a Trek show.

I thought that was a fucking great proposal, but that it was essentially a reboot. Voyager could have done most of that--damage the ship badly enough that they don't have transporters, replicators, holodecks, and that something doesn't work right about the translator, make them have to trade, etc. But even then, not quite what JMS was proposing.

I suppose you could do something like Star Trek: Andromeda--an experimental drive takes a Federation ship (on purpose) to a neighboring galaxy; the drive has to collect dark matter very slowly via a scoop for five years before it can be used to return. No replicators because something something technobabble; the translators don't work until several years of contacts produce enough commonalities; life is not "humanoids with bumpy foreheads" but some really really different organisms, societies, etc.

Didn't Stargate do something like that?
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: May 21, 2020, 01:49:45 PM

They already have the problem of technology being too advanced.

Yeah, no writers could possibly work with advanced technology.  That’s why the Culture series is such shit.  🙄
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: May 25, 2020, 10:50:06 AM

Didn't Stargate do something like that?

Yes, and it was beautiful.

But apparently the approach didn't get the ratings they wanted. Plus they also hit the same problem as Star Trek; too much of a thing/saturation diminished the value of the brand overall.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: May 26, 2020, 02:41:14 PM

I think Picard shows you can bring the Federation and Starfleet into view a bit more and benefit from it. But yes, if they really want to do that, and not cover a ship or a station "out there", they've just got to go more in the direction of Banks. What does a better, largely post-scarcity society look like? Especially right at this moment in the Trek timeline--they've had a bad scare (the Mars attack) and now they know it a misdirect. But they've also had to deal with the umpteenth infiltration of Starfleet--Tal Shiar, the goobers from "Conspiracy", the Founders--which should give them all a lot of pause. They've got really incoherent civilizational ideas about life (synthetic life bad or ok to use as a tool even before the Mars attack; but near-AI disembodied computers largely good or ok). Their ideas about pluralism have the same classic problems that our ideas do (Starfleet is ok with your values and ideas as long as they're within the same narrow band as Starfleet/Federation orthodoxy, but stray much outside and you get told to go mind your own business back on your own world). All of this is super relevant to the present day, so they can keep the tradition of using Trek to comment on and think about our moment.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: September 15, 2021, 03:14:55 AM

Season 2 save them whales!

https://youtu.be/xkEC1FIGqXQ

It not what I'd hoped for. The best thing about S1 was seeing something of trek outside of starfleet.

It looks like it is just going to be more people pulling weird shit out of the box. Fine I guess.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 03:19:46 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: September 15, 2021, 07:33:34 AM

Wow, that is a fucking disappointment. So much for strange new worlds, new life and civilizations. Star Trek just never seems to get close to its potential for more than a little while, and certainly not in its afterlives following DS9 and Voyager's final seasons.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #130 on: September 15, 2021, 09:00:09 PM

Also, "Q makes everyone a fascist" is a little too meta right now.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: September 16, 2021, 09:10:44 AM

Seriously. Look, they've already GOT the Bell Riots--they've got a moment almost identical to ours at exactly our moment. Go in and show us how you get out of fascism in this slightly better world.

Or don't. How about doing more with Picard's time, you lazy fuckers.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: March 30, 2022, 11:27:03 AM

We got started on this last night.

The first episode isn't bad. I didn't mind them moving ahead a bit to a new status quo for all the characters, but I wasn't wild about Picard himself just slotting back so easily into Starfleet, let alone Raffi, who has spent a long and bitter time in exile. I wish for once we could see Starfleet in relationship to the Federation where folks have to actually have some real fucking arguments about Starfleet's perennial problem with its leadership. That feels like it would have been a better job for Picard to have taken on in the interval between the last series and this one--to be something like an inspector general or to head up a major commission appointed by the Federation government to reform and restructure Starfleet. That would also have more thematic resonance with what comes next, if my understanding of the rest of the season is correct.

Of all the nuTrek shows in recent years, though, this show has by far the best range of new characters. Discovery is just so uneven (in this respect and others). We'll see with Strange New Worlds. But I actually kind of like Picard's oddball set of new associates--they've got real personalities and interesting backstories.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #133 on: April 09, 2022, 07:42:32 PM

Shit on this show all you want but Alison Pill doing “Shadows of the Night” is fucking fantastic.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: April 10, 2022, 07:29:16 PM

If the third season is bringing back the original NG cast (except for Wil Wheaton), I hope this convinces the brass that a Worf follow-up series would be good.

I do like the Jurati character and Pill is doing a good job with her.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #135 on: April 12, 2022, 07:48:43 AM

I hope this convinces the brass that a Worf follow-up series would be good.

I still haven't been motivated to subscribe to CBS to watch any of the new Trek stuff, but a Worf series would do it as long as they wrote the character well (which I think is much easier than writing for Picard).

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: April 12, 2022, 12:46:10 PM

They've such a good lock on Worf as a character, barring a few misjudgments like Alexander. He's a classic case of an adopted foundling who rediscovers his birth culture and is then a hyper-exaggerated "more X than X" devotee of the culture to the point that he both annoys and shames the people who've grown up in it.

I could see a Worf series that goes deep into where the Klingons are at after the Dominion War and after the destruction of Romulus.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: May 07, 2022, 01:08:35 PM

Watched last episode. It went from "it could be good if they got the writing" and it just kept slipping. Its not enough to have a few good moment when you got so much bad stuff happening.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: May 07, 2022, 03:22:56 PM

We almost quit outright in the mushy middle where it became a less funny Star Trek IV The Voyage Home but also just throughout the jury-rigging has been so so aggravating. "Let's do the time-travel dingus around the sun even though it's so really hard and dangerous that only Mr. Spock can do it right but now the Borg Queen because she suddenly acquired plot-necessity powers" etc. Like it's been AGONIZING to watch the showrunners try to contrive everything into place for the sake of a decent idea about Picard's own past that's clearly kind of service to Stewart himself as he gets ready to make his peace with the world.

I would have preferred:

a) a rollicking adventure with Picard's Season 1 folks that ends up their time together decisively
b) a time-travel adventure narrowly focused on the Borg's origins and Picard's personal history

Not a mash-up of the two.

Especially not with Soong thrown in there, though I would guess this presages some return of Data/Soong in the context of synthetic life in Season 3; but that will end up pointing to the most potent unravelled/undealt with material from Season 1--there's really been no reckoning with Earth/the Federation's experience with synthetic life, and the further linking of Soong to the same threads that produced Khan/Eugenics makes that even more potent/more a dropped shoe that no one has reckoned with.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: May 07, 2022, 04:57:49 PM

It's too bad Avery Brooks went off the deep end. Because I would have killed for Sisko to reappear, and him and Picard to have a buddy cop adventure.

Insert jaunty tune

One of them is messy
One of them is neat
They're the two best captains
In all of Starfleeeet

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Picard  
Jump to: