Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker  (Read 190107 times)
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: October 31, 2019, 04:16:19 AM

Big battle, everyone dies. C.S. Lewis that shit.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: October 31, 2019, 09:19:29 AM

Naa. if you want him to actually finish the book have it an exquisitely described feast lasting 600 pages then they all drop dead by poisoning.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: October 31, 2019, 01:59:56 PM

D&D have shown pretty thoroughly that they've got a reasonably good eye for doing a second draft on someone else's story. And equally that they're pretty bad when they're working without that net.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: November 01, 2019, 02:18:09 AM

D&D were certainly good at adapting GRRM’s work in seasons 1-6.  It’s when they had to bridge the gap and jump to the end that things went straight to hell.

You spelt '1-4' incorrectly.

Thing is, star wars needs to address its story issues, not its production values.

D&D were not a great fit for that.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: November 01, 2019, 06:12:16 AM

Now is coming out that while the Netflix deal was not technically against the Lucasfilm agreement Kennedy was pissed about it.  She wanted them concentrated on Star Wars.  Not some Netflix stuff in addition to her projects. So she did a soft firing.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: November 01, 2019, 09:17:21 AM

Star Wars needs someone who knows how to craft a consistent story arc over whatever number of movies like the Marvel properties. I doubt Fiege can do both properties. What they've been doing is dumb. It's just filling in holes to a dated story.

They need to just kill everyone and start fresh in another made up period.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: November 01, 2019, 03:25:46 PM

My biggest problem with their "A Star Wars story" brand was that the two movies we got were just filling in back stories to the main movies. I wanted to see unique stuff. I think the Mandalorian series will be a good step in that direction. I hope it is super successful so they finally go "Oh, maybe people want to see something else besides Yoda's childhood" or whatever stuff they've thought of.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: November 01, 2019, 06:43:28 PM

I'm with Kennedy both because she really does need people who are the forward-looking custodians of this IP and because those guys are wankers.

They really need to sit down and decide on one hand: what are the basic principles for storytelling in this world? and on the other hand: what's fun? what's good?

It's a tough setting, actually. It has some really great baselines. It's not a shiny human-Earth future--it's a grimy world, stuff looks used. It's huge, it has tons of different sapients. It has the Force. It has scale, it has gigantism. It's got some pulp-fiction innocence to it, but it's also got dark stuff of an epic kind.

It's got some messy as fuck stuff that no one working in this universe has thought out. Is it intentional that the soldiers and officers of the Empire are "human"? If so, what does that mean? Is the Force really whatever whatever? (all the whatevers it's been said to be, including: is it inherited?) Can you really just jet around all over everywhere in ten seconds or is that just JJ Abrams being his usual storytelling dumbass self? What makes the "Outer Rim" what it is? Why couldn't the Empire extend control etc.? Why in a galaxy where you seemingly can go anywhere in ten seconds is anywhere remote, forgotten, obscure, forbidden, etc.? Why didn't the Empire just sent three Star Destroyers to every system in the galaxy if they can hyperdrive there in seconds with no real fuel issues? You name it, the world-building is somewhere between "The Expanse" level thoroughness and JK Rowling "magic is magic, whatevs, fuck off".
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: November 01, 2019, 07:36:05 PM

You can't have anymore movies with the empire or it's leftovers anymore. Leave that to comics, books and cartoons.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: November 02, 2019, 03:05:41 AM

Of course you can. Nobody stopped making films with the Third Reich in them just because the ending has been filmed.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: November 02, 2019, 05:54:06 AM

I'm with Kennedy both because she really does need people who are the forward-looking custodians of this IP and because those guys are wankers.

She might be right about that in this particular case, but in the larger sense of things she is wholly responsible for the current state of SW, and has been so for a long, long time.  She has basically been at the helm of everything other than the OS and the prequels since....maybe all the way back to the first EU books?  Not sure exactly, but she has had veto power over everything.

Which is only to say that even though this might be the right call, it would be fair to say KK is herself a huge part of the problem.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: November 02, 2019, 06:19:14 AM

Right, which is why she needs someone to really take the reins.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: November 02, 2019, 11:05:37 PM

Is it intentional that the soldiers and officers of the Empire are "human"?

According to the old West End games d6 RPG source books it was. The Empire was very, very human first. The implication was that aliens were at best second class citizens and were often slaves. I think it's not an accident that a lot of the separatists in the prequels were alien races. Especially if Palpatine is our Hitler analogue here and he was playing on human racism among other darker impulses.

Can you really just jet around all over everywhere in ten seconds or is that just JJ Abrams being his usual storytelling dumbass self?

Prior to JJ, I've seen estimates for something like 25,000 light years in a day for a Star Wars ship which means the trip from Alderaan to Tatooine took around 2 days or so if memory serves. I think JJ just has no sense of scale or just doesn't care about it. I enjoyed the hell out of the Force Awakens but the travel times "we pulled the lever, push it back, we're there now!" and that dumb ass scene where people looked up in the sky and saw Starkiller base blow up a whole different solar system made me sigh. Of course, he pulled the same shit in 2009 Star Trek with Spock literally watching Vulcan die from a whole other planet.

So uh...yeah. JJ in the sequel trilogy.

What makes the "Outer Rim" what it is? Why couldn't the Empire extend control etc.? Why in a galaxy where you seemingly can go anywhere in ten seconds is anywhere remote, forgotten, obscure, forbidden, etc.? Why didn't the Empire just sent three Star Destroyers to every system in the galaxy if they can hyperdrive there in seconds with no real fuel issues? You name it, the world-building is somewhere between "The Expanse" level thoroughness and JK Rowling "magic is magic, whatevs, fuck off".

Prior to JJ crossing the galaxy took a week or two. And you had to have safe routes. The unknown regions were unknown because they hadn't been scouted so trying to hyperspace into them was super risky.

Which is only to say that even though this might be the right call, it would be fair to say KK is herself a huge part of the problem.

I agree which annoys the hell out of me because so much of the toxic fanbase, especially the Incel part of it, rages about her constantly. It just annoys me they're semi-right though it's not related to her having a vagina.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #223 on: November 02, 2019, 11:18:16 PM

The incel base is never right. Kathleen Kennedy sucks as a producer and brand shepherd for the series, but not for the reasons any of the incel twats claim.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: November 03, 2019, 01:18:29 AM

The Force Awakens is the only star wars source with instant travel. It is just JJA being bad.

Kennedy isn't so much part of the problem as she is not a solution to the problem. It does seem they need a creative lead, which I don't think she is trying to be.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 01:21:10 AM by eldaec »

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: November 03, 2019, 06:20:33 AM

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: November 03, 2019, 06:40:07 AM

That link doesn’t spoil the ending, does it?  Since that is out now.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: November 03, 2019, 06:42:08 AM

It's a Revenge of the Nerds gif; it's safe.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: November 03, 2019, 04:48:16 PM

These days they'd remake that as "Revenge of the Normie Bros" or something, since the nerds are kind of getting their way a lot.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: December 18, 2019, 05:10:22 AM

Will be going to one of the first regular showings today, so I will be able to come back here soon and report whether or not Baby Yoda is Rey's mother.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: December 18, 2019, 10:13:01 AM

Congratulations, people who wanted to know about Snoke and the Knights of Ren and this and that backstory and have everything explained, because from what I'm hearing, that's what this movie is: an endless series of disconnected scenes trying to satisfy every fan gripe from The Last Jedi. Hope you enjoy your Powerpoint presentation.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #231 on: December 18, 2019, 10:23:15 AM

Yeah just the titles of some of the reviews I’ve glanced at have been brutal.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #232 on: December 18, 2019, 10:28:09 AM

The narrative will be „well RoS sucked but it’s because JJ Abrams had to fix everything that Rian Johnson fucked up and that didn’t work out“. and not because it’s a design by committee appeasement to every gripe of a small but vocal raging mad fanbase.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #233 on: December 18, 2019, 11:41:28 AM

Yeah but if it wasn't for Rian there wouldn't have been an avalanche of hatred towards the franchise that had to be fixed why so serious?
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: December 18, 2019, 12:07:23 PM

I'm shocked that people who have vocally reiterated time and again how Star Wars doesn't appeal to them anymore still don't like Star Wars. My gast remains flabbered.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: December 18, 2019, 12:09:57 PM

Just like with Mass Effect 3, this will haunt us for a long time as raging neck beards everywhere will feel emboldened by this and demand every piece of entertainment to be tailored to their preferences.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: December 18, 2019, 01:11:37 PM

It's going to make over a billion easy. Probably closer to 1.5.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #237 on: December 18, 2019, 01:20:15 PM

That'll be a crushing disappointment if it does. The Last Jedi grossed 1.3 billion. The Force Awakens grossed 2 billion.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #238 on: December 18, 2019, 02:09:29 PM

The narrative will be „well RoS sucked but it’s because JJ Abrams had to fix everything that Rian Johnson fucked up and that didn’t work out“. and not because it’s a design by committee appeasement to every gripe of a small but vocal raging mad fanbase.

RoS sucks because among other things it’s just one more trip back to the well of Palpatine and planet destroying weapons. It feels like a movie that was made solely out of obligation due to the first two movies already being out there.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #239 on: December 18, 2019, 02:19:03 PM

Did they at least cram a dumb time travel plot into it, or is it just more boring clone shit?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: December 18, 2019, 02:26:39 PM

Did they at least cram a dumb time travel plot into it, or is it just more boring clone shit?

It’s basically vignettes explaining every dumb lore question those people have just so that they get their canon explanations for their weird fan theories. Also lots of backpedaling and dunking on TLJ and Rian Johnson. Just not a coherent or original movie.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #241 on: December 18, 2019, 03:52:15 PM

Among others, my biggest gripe is (will talk more extensively about this whole trilogy in another post. BIG SPOILERS AHEAD) :

For something like that to happen, the trilogy should have left some sort of "breadcrumbs" from the beginning, so I understand that I probably was expecting something impossible.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #242 on: December 18, 2019, 04:26:34 PM

By the way, after you are done watching Episode IX, go read the topic about Episode VII, especially page 2-3 (that's where I stopped for now). I'm laughing my ass off   awesome, for real awesome, for real

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: December 18, 2019, 04:42:58 PM

Saw it at midnight.

It's a bad, bad movie. Differently bad from the prequels and others sequels.  Worse, from another point of view.

Kathleen Kennedy's head will be gone, but with a prearranged golden parachute. MAYBE Eisner as well, but he's probably safe.

JJ fucked it up.

The actors are fine, it's not their fault. I don't think Lucas had anything to do with it, and I suspect he's as unhappy as most of the rest of who see it will be. There's going to be multiple hour critic explanations for why the movie is bad, which are going to be much more entertaining, so we have that to look forward to.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #244 on: December 18, 2019, 04:48:54 PM

Congratulations, people who wanted to know about Snoke and the Knights of Ren and this and that backstory and have everything explained, because from what I'm hearing, that's what this movie is: an endless series of disconnected scenes trying to satisfy every fan gripe from The Last Jedi. Hope you enjoy your Powerpoint presentation.

Eh, stuff like Snoke and the Knights of Ren take up maybe two minutes of the movie (and in the Knights of Ren’s case they aren’t explained, they’re just there and occasionally do stuff).

The puppet master, “architect of all your pain” stuff is just bad. It’s like they took Christoph Waltz’s stuff from Spectre and made it worse.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker  
Jump to: