Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:45:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: DOTA 2 Autochess, the Hearthstone killer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DOTA 2 Autochess, the Hearthstone killer  (Read 18147 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

on: February 11, 2019, 02:02:19 PM

Autochess is a free mod to Dota 2, available under the "Arcade" tab.  You draft units, that combine and level up.  Match different tribes and synergies, arrange your pieces on the board (Tanks go here, dps there, etc) and then the AI will fight the other seven players in your lobby.  Easy to start and learn, but surprisingly deep... it has over 3 million subscriptions and has started hitting over 200k concurrent players.  If you have watched or subscribed to either a Hearthstone or Dota youtuber/streamer, you have probably starting seeing videos pop up.  It seems like the entire population of content creators for both games have been playing non-stop.

The Good:
- The gameplay is familiar enough to CCGs for comfort, but introduces enough novel gameplay mechanics (economy, board position) to feel new.
- Uses Dota 2 assets, straight from the game, including voice lines....  So production quality is high.
- Easy to get into, but a high skill ceiling. 
- Free.  Dota 2 is free, and this is an official mod via the client. 
- That delicious combination of fun AND addictive.
- Constant updates and balance changes.
- Largely the "good" kind of RNG.

The Bad:
- Matchmaking is not implemented, despite having a rank ladder.  That means that, if you queue regularly, you are just matched with a bunch of folks that queued about the same time.  If you have a higher rank, you can get absolutely fucked if you queue into a bunch of low tier players and don't win. 
- Some oddities and control issues.  Some controls feel sluggish, sometimes your hotkeys aren't recognized.
- Some balance issues...  still some units that are hot garbage.
- Some bug issues, like a common bug that keeps kicking you out of lobbies.
- You are queuing with the World, so...  you will have times where 8 players accept, and then a player or multiple players will not load in before the 3 minute timer is done because they are playing on a potato in China/South America.  Then its back to matchmaking to queue again.
- Matches tend to be long, if you are doing at all well.  35-40 minutes are standard if you aren't getting knocked out early every time.

Really, really solid game.  I've been as high as Bishop 5, but I just do pubs so one sorta mediocre game will cost you a couple ranks, and going out early will knock you back down to Bishop 1.  Meanwhile, it takes a couple wins to go up one level. 

It will be interesting to see where this goes, but the parallels with the way Dota grew out of WCIII have already been made by alot of people....   and the cheap knockoffs are already hitting the mobile market.  It seems to have come along at the exact right moment with lots of folks being unenthused bye HS and Artifact dying a messy death. 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 03:10:31 PM

A mod of a genre-creating mod creates a genre?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 06:24:50 PM

Where does the strategic depth come in? What differentiates two skilled players?

This should be up my alley but I can't get past the utterly, bafflingly user-hostile newb experience - which I guess explains why the DotA crowd is into it - without some idea of what I can look forward to.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 06:42:56 PM

the hearthstone killer

wat
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 07:56:40 PM

the hearthstone killer

wat

Just a joke... based on the earlier MTGA/Artifact hyperbole, everyone bitching about the latest HS expansion, and the fact that it seems like most of the big HS content creators are uploading nothing but Autochess.

It's still just a mod in another game.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 08:13:03 PM

Where does the strategic depth come in? What differentiates two skilled players?

This should be up my alley but I can't get past the utterly, bafflingly user-hostile newb experience - which I guess explains why the DotA crowd is into it - without some idea of what I can look forward to.

There is no newb experience, you just get thrown into the general match-making pool.  Match making is a total shit show as you are just queued up with whomever joined at the same time, no ladder yet. 

Just watch a couple games...  on youtube Trump, Toast, Hafu, etc etc etc have been playing.  A bunch of the Dota pros/casters/content creators as well.  Savjz has some games that are decently informative without too much streamer bullshit.

The strategic depth is trying to smooth out your gameplan from early to mid to late game with the pool you have, figuring out what you are going for, cutting your losses and switching up, that sort of thing.  I'm still horrible at dealing with time crunch late game... basically, when you hit end game and it is really close, there is alot of reroll spamming (reroll to get a choice of new units to take, but costs gold), making quick cuts and substitutions, and getting everything in place and properly positioned in the 30 seconds you have between rounds. 
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 12:04:34 PM

That's exactly what I'm talking about - you have 30 seconds to cycle through units whose stats you can't see until after you buy them, trying to hit race/class breakpoints that can only be tallied by clicking through each of your units individually and hovering over their tooltips, trying to avoid unit types that other players are buying, which can only be judged by clicking on everyone *else's* units individually (but not in the combat phase because dead units are hidden; it has to be during that 30 seconds if you want a full picture).

Then you place units on the board in the clunkiest way possible (why on earth is the "move piece" ability on the hero and not the pieces? Why does it have a limited range? Why don't units combine automatically?) and then the fight starts and they all hop around according to logic that isn't written down anywhere. The fight comes to a resolution that bears no obvious relationship to the tactical choices either player has made and you do it all again.

There's so much hidden or poorly-exposed information that after something like five games I have absolutely no sense of which units are the good ones and don't really know how I would even evaluate that other than brute force trying everything.

I don't mean this to be incendiary because I am honestly trying to find the fun but after watching several games from Trump and Dog and trying it out myself I just don't get it at all.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 03:59:47 AM

"easy to get into".

Well I'm probably stupid but I found it to be almost as confusing, arcane and unpenetrable as DOTA 2 and the player base to be almost as toxic.

I also tried to watch a few streamers play it and I honestly don't know what the fuck any of this is about or what's going on.

Any good tutorials/onboardings you could recommend?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 04:49:14 AM

Well I'm probably stupid but I found it to be almost as confusing, arcane and unpenetrable as DOTA 2 and the player base to be almost as toxic.

The player base IS the DOTA 2 player base. Minus all the 12 year olds who left to play Fortnite  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 08:27:26 AM

That's exactly what I'm talking about - you have 30 seconds to cycle through units whose stats you can't see until after you buy them, trying to hit race/class breakpoints that can only be tallied by clicking through each of your units individually and hovering over their tooltips, trying to avoid unit types that other players are buying, which can only be judged by clicking on everyone *else's* units individually (but not in the combat phase because dead units are hidden; it has to be during that 30 seconds if you want a full picture).

Then you place units on the board in the clunkiest way possible (why on earth is the "move piece" ability on the hero and not the pieces? Why does it have a limited range? Why don't units combine automatically?) and then the fight starts and they all hop around according to logic that isn't written down anywhere. The fight comes to a resolution that bears no obvious relationship to the tactical choices either player has made and you do it all again.

There's so much hidden or poorly-exposed information that after something like five games I have absolutely no sense of which units are the good ones and don't really know how I would even evaluate that other than brute force trying everything.

I don't mean this to be incendiary because I am honestly trying to find the fun but after watching several games from Trump and Dog and trying it out myself I just don't get it at all.

Here's some advice:

1. Play fucking units.  Just buy and play them out.  See how they do!  See how your oppo does!  Try to make 2* units.  You are worrying about whether you need a new carbon core $1,500 driver when you have only been on the golf course a few times.  Don't be afraid to swap units in and out!

2. Worry more about upgrades.  Synergies are good, and working with them is how you get the most out of your units, but...!  You can get plenty far with just a strategy of drafting/upgrading "good" units and not even worrying about synergies.  Beastmaster is considered a good unit, even though he is a Hunter which people are down on.  He is very tanky, and his ult (axes) does good damage and is mildly spammable.  Despite being a 2$ unit, people will have a 2* BM on there board into late game.\

Overall for early game,  if you just try to get multiple 2* units down you will do fine even if the units are crappy. 

3.  Stop planning so much.  You can't go into a game and say "I am playing trolls/warriors" or "I am playing mages" without seeing what you get offered and what you have completed!  Sometimes you will have no clue what you are playing till the late teen rounds.  (You will likely not win those...  but you can probably come in 2nd or 3rd) 

If you just try to force something from the get go, you are likely going to be sorry.

4.  I don't understand your complaints about board state/unit AI.  Your board position has a huge effect no what happens!  Put your guy with the big ult a little ahead and center of board to make sure you get your Disruptor ult/Tide ult down fast.  Someone with a powerful ult but is not tanky?  Position towards the top but a bit to the side.  The board leader is running assassins?  Back into the corner, so they can't jump in and delete your back line....  or put a couple tanks in the back line to bodyguard.

Each unit has an AI...  it has certain tendencies.  Assassins, if further back, jump all the way to the oppos back line and attack it.  If up close in attack range of the oppos front line, they will often not jump and just start taking shots.  Tanks hop up to engage.  Etc.

This stuff matters, BUT....  it is relatively minor!   Upgraded units matter more, then synergies, and finally things like positioning.

5.  I have never understood the complaints about "hidden" information.  That is the fucking point, you know?  You pick it up by playing!  If the information was available in a tool tip, you would be complaining that there is some other information that is not adequately explained.  As long as the stats/rules are consistent and can be inferred from play/experience, it can be a fun and rewarding portion of the game! 

You are playing pick up basketball and complaining that your team is not adequately performing complicated plays.

6. You are going to be realllllly unhappy when you discover the economy shit, which actually matters a great deal, when you are freaking out about a bunch of stuff that doesn't matter like unit AI and positioning.  awesome, for real

I'm having a difficult time with these responses.  I literally just watched a few games, then started playing.  Bishop in four or five games, and have been bouncing around mid-Bishop since (yea, pubs!  One lose knocks you to Bish-1, then you need to win/place like 6 to crawl back up to Bish-5!)

Just! Make! Matches!

Let the other stuff flow from that, when you are deciding synergies come into play. (Drafted Axe in Round 1 as he is a strong tank.  Round 2 there is no 2 and no other Axe, but there is a Beastmaster.  Beast is a strong unit, and an orc for immediate synergy, so makes sense over a Tusk, who is a weak warrior.)

You can sell at any time!  So, you can buy units while your dudes are fighting and look at their stats...  then just sell them back before rounds end.

I rarely look at other players before late-late game.  Maybe just a quick double check to see what level everyone is, or if I have been sitting on two of a unit for many rounds and I am not getting a third... double check to make sure I am not the third or fourth guy trying to go Luna or Troll or whatever.

Positioning doesn't matter a whole lot til late game.  Tanks up front, back row dps.  Any CC unit needs to be front center to get an ult off ASAP.  Round 15 is wolves, who jump behind your units.  Switch up.  If you get slaughtered by AOE/assassins then yah sure... tweak your positioning.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 08:51:45 AM

Some good tips in there, thanks. Especially about buying-to-try; it never occurred to me to buy something just to immediately resell it since most games punish you for that.

You'll have to explain this one to me though:
Put your guy with the big ult a little ahead and center of board to make sure you get your Disruptor ult/Tide ult down fast.  Someone with a powerful ult but is not tanky?  Position towards the top but a bit to the side.
Why does being in the middle of the board let you get your ult off faster?
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 09:48:42 AM

Some good tips in there, thanks. Especially about buying-to-try; it never occurred to me to buy something just to immediately resell it since most games punish you for that.

You'll have to explain this one to me though:
Put your guy with the big ult a little ahead and center of board to make sure you get your Disruptor ult/Tide ult down fast.  Someone with a powerful ult but is not tanky?  Position towards the top but a bit to the side.
Why does being in the middle of the board let you get your ult off faster?

Your units get mana based on:
1. Attacking
2. Taking damage

So we will take a Disruptor.  Considered a strong unit, with a powerful aoe damage/silence.  At 1*, he can be squishy if you don't have an item to give him or orc synergy...  so put him front line but slightly offset.  He wants to take some damage but not get killed before ult.  At 2* (you have found three of him and combined) he is pretty tanky and can go center of the board and up one space from everyone else...  you want him to face tank the opposing line, get that ult off, and then you don't care if he dies your other units are cleaning up!

Damage and health:  You take damage based on the level of surviving enemy units.  So early game, you can afford to lose a bunch while you are trying to figure things out.  Most people recommend not rerolling early game, and just trying to get your matches and maybe putting some dudes on the bench.  Trump just had a vid on the "open fort" strat where you just concede early game to get your gold up to 50 to max out interest and collect losing streak bonuses, for instance.

late game, if your oppos are wrecking you you will be out of the match fast as damage is 10-15 versus early games 1-5.

In general:

Early game - Get 2* units.  Get the next courier levels, to stay even with your opponents and get the next tier units offered.  Accumulate gold to get your interest. 
Mid game (round 12-15 to 22-25) - You should have your synergies and mid-game line up set.  Courier level should be around 7 with plans on getting to 8-9 for late game. Warrior front-line with a 2* SF for dps, working on your warlock synergy?  Sure!
Late game - Synergies fall off, hard.  It is about CC, AOE damage, and those juicy 5$ units.  Units/synergies that were crap early game come back around....  If you are running disruptor, throw in Shadow Shaman.  SS is junk, but instant hex is powerful!  Medusa/Tide for naga synergy (-20% magic damage received) is great!  Shit, I will keep a 2* slardar on my bench sometimes for when I am ready to drop the Medusa in as extra CC to help survive the initial burst until I roll into Tide.

Typical game:

Get offered mechs early.  Clock and Timbersaw, even at 1*, are pretty solid with mech synergy.  Tinker is bad, but mech synergy is strong.  Throw in a bounty for goblin synergy and dps and you are fine.  This gives you breathing room to figure out where you are going and working on getting a carry.
Mechs fall off.  Transition to 4 knights on the back of getting CK and Lunas, maybe look at getting a Necro so that you have Undead synergy with your Abaddon.  If you are in warriors, Disruptor is a solid complement and you would love a Troll Warlord and another troll to get Troll synnergy.  Build out economy.
Late game, you are trying to fit in parts from high tier units that increase your power at the cost of your mid-game synergies.  So you were in knights, you have dropped some in favor of Kunkka (boat is that strong!) and to put in a 1* Enigma.
Finally, you hit the "oh shit!" rounds.  Oppos that close to death will be spamming reroll to stop the hemoraghing and drop that 2* Tide or Techies, or finish off that 3* carry.  You have to furiously manage bench, and swap in your upgrades, and tweak your postions all in 30 seconds.

A good rule of thumb on unit strength:  Multiply out the dollar cost by number of units.   Tusk is a 1$ unit, a 2* tusk is worth around 3$ on your board.  Troll is a 4$ unit, so probably more value than a 2* tusk.  Some units are just stronger... Shadowfiend is reallly strong, even at level 1, for a 2$ unit.  Deciding if you want to go for that 2* Doom or keep that 2* SF is TOUGHHHH.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 09:57:24 AM

The player base IS the DOTA 2 player base. Minus all the 12 year olds who left to play Fortnite  why so serious?

I just...  I have noticed zero toxicity.  Mostly, people don't even chat...  maybe 10 lines of text in all my games so far, and that was after matchmaking shit the bed some dudes decided to make a custom lobby.  Honestly, it is incredibly likely that the other players in your match don't share a language with you.  Something like 2-4 players will be Chinese/have chinese character names, another couple will be from Latin America, maybe everyone knows a bit of English but are too busy to communicate.

The only toxicity I have heard about is low ranked players sneaking into Bishop/Rook lobbies, as the way matchmaking works getting beat by a Pawn means losing a giant chunk of MMR.  Those are private lobbies, and you will be told to messily die as it is assumed you're doing it to troll reaaaaaalllly hard.

Also:  CSGO pro warms up by playing autochess

https://clips.twitch.tv/HandsomeStrangeMilkDatBoi
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 11:46:01 AM

I started playing this a few days ago and I'm hooked. I haven't noticed any toxicity. Most of my games no one says anything, and even when they do it's in another language most of the time.

They changed the human racial from disarm to silence- it can really put a damper on frontline Medusa/Distruptor/Tide strats if the human is matched up straight opposite the board. My go-to strategy lately has been Elf/Dragon, 4 Orc, or 4 Troll. Most other synergies late-game seem pretty useless. It's almost never worth to go more than 4 knight, 3 warrior, 3 mage, 3 hunter, 3 warlock, 3 assassin, etc. Getting 3 star units of 1$ and 2$ units is rarely worth going for. If I have a 2 star tusk I'll buy more tusks early if I see them, but be ready the entire time to sell them off since I usually want to replace him as soon as I can. But some games you can get lucky and get the 3 star. General rule of thumb I would use is- would I run 2 2 stars of this unit in my line-up? If yes, go for it, if no, don't bother. Usually my backrow is constantly full because I buy every good unit I see even if I have no synergy for it (yet) so I don't have room to be going for 3 star tusks or axes. I try to make sure my money is at an amount divisible by 10 whenever I can, since the interest is 10%.

I do wish they'd smooth out the item RNG. Maybe make it so every wave has at least 1 guaranteed item, but with a random chance to get more. Feels bad killing a creep wave and getting literally nothing.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 06:56:37 PM

I played 1 game so far. Ive been getting destroyed. No idea what I'm doing. Game feels bad.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 07:30:28 PM

Wait til Riot rips it off and makes it a standalone title.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 09:17:04 PM

I watched a video or two, played another game. I kind of get it now. It's fun.. maybe.

I have to learn the race class synergies.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 09:53:40 PM

I started playing this a few days ago and I'm hooked. I haven't noticed any toxicity. Most of my games no one says anything, and even when they do it's in another language most of the time.

They changed the human racial from disarm to silence- it can really put a damper on frontline Medusa/Distruptor/Tide strats if the human is matched up straight opposite the board. My go-to strategy lately has been Elf/Dragon, 4 Orc, or 4 Troll. Most other synergies late-game seem pretty useless. It's almost never worth to go more than 4 knight, 3 warrior, 3 mage, 3 hunter, 3 warlock, 3 assassin, etc. Getting 3 star units of 1$ and 2$ units is rarely worth going for. If I have a 2 star tusk I'll buy more tusks early if I see them, but be ready the entire time to sell them off since I usually want to replace him as soon as I can. But some games you can get lucky and get the 3 star. General rule of thumb I would use is- would I run 2 2 stars of this unit in my line-up? If yes, go for it, if no, don't bother. Usually my backrow is constantly full because I buy every good unit I see even if I have no synergy for it (yet) so I don't have room to be going for 3 star tusks or axes. I try to make sure my money is at an amount divisible by 10 whenever I can, since the interest is 10%.

I do wish they'd smooth out the item RNG. Maybe make it so every wave has at least 1 guaranteed item, but with a random chance to get more. Feels bad killing a creep wave and getting literally nothing.

On 3*:

Yah, generally not worth it unless it is already a strong unit.  Better to ask yourself:  I'm I going to get rid of this in the late game?  If so, not worth.  On the other hand guys like Axe or Beastmaster, who are strong already and tend to stick around, go from being there but weak late game to being fairly solid.  The "play 2 2*" rule falls down in cases where 2 2* are often better:  Razor, SF, DK, Kunnka (mostly).  The splash damage/aoe effects are sometimes better with two fairly strong sources rather than one really strong unit vulnerable to getting picked off.  3* Kunkka is a boss, but I'd rather have multiple boats unless I'm just passing rounds until my opponent finally gives up the ghost.

The exceptions for 3* units are ones that you want to hard carry but fall off.  Drow and Luna are the prime examples.  I've run many a game with Drow as my carry.  She is considered to kinda suck, so not much competition.  Her ability amplifies damage/attack speed, so great item carrier.  Undead synergy is boss till late.  You are already prepped for late game since you want a Medusa for CC already, and now that Medusa is a reasonable threat with Hunter damage and -armor.  Drow really needs to be 3* though.

Luna is similar.  Her attacks bounce so great item carrier, Knight synergy on your carry means that you can run 4 Knights no problem into late game to help with damage mitigation, etc.  Still a risk of falling off if you don't get her to 3* though...  mostly I draft CK, Abba/Omni, and DK though... so if one of the other late game players is in Luna hard and you aren't getting her you can just sell and pivot to Dragon strat.

I'd put Jugg in a similar position.  Strong mid game unit, gets kind of weak late game.  People generally replace Jugg fairly quickly, so not uncommon to be able to pick up the 3*.   He isn't massive then, but he becomes a much better tank that deals pretty good damage and is mostly better than a 1* 5$ unit.

Trolls are really overrated.  Troll Warlord is great, but the rest are crap.  Batrider is garbage, Shadow Shaman isn't very good until late game (but this locks you into disruptor for insta hex), and Witchdoctor is okay.   Four trolls lock you out of other strats though.  Really tough to try to get warlock synergy (which is solid recovery), Naga (damage mitigation on late game alphas), etc  Basically, 4 trolls plus disruptor plus one other orc to make sure disruptor gets his ult off means six slots.  That leaves two slots that need to be CC, so Kunkka or Tide.  If you are at 9 or 10 slots and sitting pretty you have already won, and your economy is good enough that you are going to be looking to drop multiple 2*

Two troll (Troll Warlord plus Witchdoctor) is better.  Lets you keep an SF on the board for dps, pick up an Alch/Necro for lifesteal, and drop two extra warriors to give your Warlord armor.  Still space to slot in the rando 5$ Enigma or Lich or Techies or Tide, and to drop in the Naga for lockdown.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 10:01:00 PM

Isn't Riot owned by Tencent?  Their Autochess will be a mobile game dependent on microtransactions to actually play.  Old Riot would have just made you grind games to gain enough IP to unlock the new broken unit.  awesome, for real

I wouldn't be surprised if Valve picks this up and pushes it as their new "free" promotional game to keep driving people to Steam, now that the bloom is wearing off of Dota a bit.  Especially as I think per the terms of developing the game in the Dota client they actually have some ownership stake in anything developed on the platform.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 05:55:31 AM

I'm having more fun than I should with this game.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 08:52:42 AM

Isn't Riot owned by Tencent?  Their Autochess will be a mobile game dependent on microtransactions to actually play.  Old Riot would have just made you grind games to gain enough IP to unlock the new broken unit.  awesome, for real

I wouldn't be surprised if Valve picks this up and pushes it as their new "free" promotional game to keep driving people to Steam, now that the bloom is wearing off of Dota a bit.  Especially as I think per the terms of developing the game in the Dota client they actually have some ownership stake in anything developed on the platform.

Tencent owns a lot of stuff. Most of Grinding Gears (PoE), huge stakes in Epic and PUBG, etc. But yah, expect aggressive monetization. They also own Supercell. Clash of Autochess incoming.

-Rasix
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 09:48:29 AM

This would make a pretty good mobile game from just a playability point of view. Monetizing the shit out of it would make it suck obviously.
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 06:13:36 AM

Tencent isn't in the business of killing games with monetization. They're in the business of farming information for the Chinese government. You really shouldn't play anything they touch. Also, they made their gov'ts human tracking / credit system (well, one of them - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System ).

Tencent is basically social skynet and they're the fucking devil and you should avoid all their shit. I'm not even kidding. They can get fucked.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:16:09 AM by schild »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 08:19:32 AM

I'm not going to avoid PoE as much as I want to spite China. If someone else wants to make an ARPG that isn't shit I'm all for that but for now they are the only show and the way they handled crafting and maps is so good that I want most other games to rip it off.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 09:09:48 AM

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 10:01:19 AM

You are linking a game made by guys who are probably basing it off their I Will Survive series experience. I haven't played those titles but #1 you played 0hrs and Schild got 0.2hrs out of it. With a 60 metacritic score (who cares) and a bit of mixed reviews on Steam but not horrible.

The sequel you played just under 2hrs, so again it didn't grab you. Schild didn't even buy it and again metacritic gave it a very pedestrian 70 score but steam is mainly positive though its mixed in recent reviews. So yeah. I'm not going to get excited about that.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 10:21:32 AM

I was mostly joking. I just happened to stumble on that video 5 seconds after reading your post.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 04:07:11 AM

Are there any good offline guides on the chess pieces and the synergies. Trying to stay on top of things while the 30 second in game timer runs is almost impossible for a newb and even most online resources like the subreddit assume that you already have a working knowledge about dota and the different characters/items
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 09:35:53 AM

Are there any good offline guides on the chess pieces and the synergies. Trying to stay on top of things while the 30 second in game timer runs is almost impossible for a newb and even most online resources like the subreddit assume that you already have a working knowledge about dota and the different characters/items

I don't know about offline guides, but Amaz has made some Youtube guides that were very helpful to me as a complete beginner (who also never touched Dota).

Auto Chess Guide For Beginners
Unit guide
Positioning guide
Synergies & Tribes guide
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 09:50:42 AM

Wrong word, what I meant was resources outside of the game. Trying to get all of the info during a game with the not really great UI is difficult.
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 12:57:53 PM

is hearthstone dead yet?
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 01:43:43 PM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 02:29:43 PM

Can whatever this is be played on a cellphone? Because I thought that was Hearthstone's selling point.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 02:33:18 PM

They are working on a mobile version, which they’ll probably put out as soon as they figured out a way to not get sued by Valve over use of the Dota artworks and IPs.

Right now they’re already on thin ice. They can use the Dota IP because it’s a mod, but Valves TOS prohibit commercialization and they have micro transactions.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 03:15:26 PM

A mobile version is in the works it seems.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: DOTA 2 Autochess, the Hearthstone killer  
Jump to: