Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:28:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Traveling Advice/Tips/Suggestions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Traveling Advice/Tips/Suggestions  (Read 64727 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #105 on: March 13, 2019, 12:14:43 PM

My wife and I area similar to you. She's a D) All of the above, type traveler, and I just want to make sure I'm eating and drinking at places that are cool.

Here's what we do:

You arrange vacations around doing both of those things. You plan the dinners first, and pick out the times. She plans the places she wants to see. You both agree you can't do EVERYTHING, because that's exhausting and stupid. It's a vacation, not a forced death march to the next museum or some out of the way brewery.

If your vacation is long enough, you include some optional time. For example, one afternoon she gets to do the museum you have no interest at all in, and you sit on your ass in a cafe somewhere. You meet for dinner.

The second thing you do is define certain vacations if they are shorter. For example, if you're going to Utah to see the national parks? That's going to be an intense vacation. If you're going to say New Orleans? That's going to be a food vacation. If you're going to Florida? Sitting around and doing nothing on the beach vacation.

Essentially deciding to trade off the adventure vacation with the relaxing vacation can be good for you both. You convince the run around partner to relax a bit, and you convince the relaxed partner to get off their butt a little more.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #106 on: March 13, 2019, 01:53:11 PM

I'm curious what people with significant others do regarding travel arrangements. I ask because my fiance and me are basically complete opposites when it comes to travel. Both of us enjoy visiting new cities but she wants to hit basically every tourist spot, museum, attraction, etc. that she can physically fit into a day and I really want to hang out in cafes, drink coffee until it's late enough to drink beer/wine and sample every local food item I can find. I'm happy if I've passed a museum on the outside, she's happy if she can find a Subway to grab a sandwich from between galleries. We're slowly getting better at the joint travel but I'm honestly curious if other people have found they accommodate each other or if they travel separately? Or if we're just weirdly incompatible in that area of life.

My girlfriend likes to go on a trip every year and we've been dating for a little over two years, so we've already had to work out a system.   awesome, for real  We take turns being in charge of deciding where we'll go (she likes warm places, I like cold places, so our first trip together was to Greece and our second was to Scotland), come up with lists of what we're each excited about doing in that place, and try to come up with a schedule that lets us both do all of our things.  We tend to have a lot of overlap in the kinds of things we want to do once we're in a place, but to the extent there's divergence there we'll just split off for a bit.

To take your example, if your'e both excited about traveling to the same city but she wants to hit 3 museums in one day and you want to hit 1 museum and then spend a few hours chilling, my advice would be to join her for the 1, let her tackle the other 2 on her own while you chill, and meet up at the end of the day for dinner (or, if you have wildly different dinner tastes too, bed).  That way you don't have to take completely separate trips (which seems like a solution of last resort if you liked traveling to completely different places and couldn't find a compromise) and get to spend some time together without her dragging you through museums you don't want to be in (which I have to imagine is stressful for both of you).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #107 on: March 21, 2019, 05:39:03 AM

We compromise. She plans everything about all vacations, while I drive and carry her bags. Win-win.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: March 24, 2019, 09:28:19 PM

So what's good about Barcelona that might stand out to someone who last went there 13 years ago?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #109 on: March 25, 2019, 08:30:04 AM

Ask me after mid-June.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: April 09, 2019, 02:09:45 PM

Thanks for the tips all! I think Yeg's will be the easiest to implement but we're getting comfortable enough with each other to manage Sam's. When we started dating she definitely was more on the end of wanting to spend as much time together as possible and I wasn't really comfortable enough to tell her I was going to go do my own thing (which produced one of our first and most memorable fights in Paris awesome, for real). The general compromise thing sounds good with a 'focus' for a vacation.

We're just finishing up a 'holiday' in Argentina. Seeing as she's got a business here and all her family (and I'm still doing a few hours at least of emails and crap per day) it's turned into basically work or family events. I still contend weddings shouldn't finish at 6am but I can't really argue with eating a cow per week. Also being able to get top shelf wine for £12 a bottle would kill my liver if I spent more than a couple of weeks here I think. If anyone is planning a trip that far south I can offer tips!

Finally, looking at visiting Coppenhagen in the near future as there's a good friend there. Her boyfriend is in the foodie scene (co-founded a super hipster distillery operation) so probably fine for that kind of recommendation but this board is international enough I figured there might be a few recommendations for things to do/best times to go?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: April 10, 2019, 12:05:35 AM

I have lived and worked in/around Copenhagen for nearing 20 years now.  Best single piece of advice:  Come during the summer months.  It sucks ass most of the year, but transforms in the summer.  Really nice city for kicking around as a tourist for a week.  During the summer.  Try not to stare too much while with your better half, because there will be an unbelievable number of attractive girls out and about.  And don't plan excursions away from the city.  The rest of the country fucking blows.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #112 on: April 12, 2019, 06:49:56 AM

I think Yeg's will be the easiest to implement but we're getting comfortable enough with each other to manage Sam's.

Pro Tip: I've been married for 20 years.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: April 15, 2019, 12:15:25 AM

Both solid advice  awesome, for real

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #114 on: June 01, 2019, 11:24:36 PM

Tokyo is too fucking hot.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #115 on: June 02, 2019, 05:09:52 AM

That's why they invented Asahi.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: June 02, 2019, 05:46:16 AM

Just drank one alongside a Hibiki 21 Year.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: June 02, 2019, 05:50:34 AM

Niiiiice.  How was your trip in?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: June 02, 2019, 05:57:58 AM

Was all good. Been here four days and we have had fun with just a few rough patches typical of a family traveling together. 

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: June 02, 2019, 06:00:33 AM

Well be sure to give us a summary of what you've been up to when you have the time!

-Stephen Colbert
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: June 02, 2019, 06:01:50 AM

Have you had the Lawson's salt fried chicken yet?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: June 03, 2019, 06:47:02 AM

Haven’t had the opportunity. Did some pretty serious damage to an all you can eat/drink shabu-shabu place tonight though.

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: June 03, 2019, 07:40:58 AM

-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: June 03, 2019, 04:31:39 PM

That episode, um, did come up during dinner.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: June 04, 2019, 10:35:13 PM

Narita Sky Club has a machine that takes the glass and pours a perfect draft beer.  I want one for my house.

-H.L. Mencken
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #125 on: June 07, 2019, 01:29:58 PM

Regarding Barcelona, the reason to go there now would be to go inside the nearly-completed Sagrada Familia. The outside might look like a tacky kid's toy, but the inside is the most amazing cathedral I have ever been inside, and I've been inside quite a few. Pictures can often be inadequate to convey a place, but this is one of the most extreme example of that which I've seen. Included in that list is a glacial cavern. Pictures will be on IG and FB eventually.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: June 07, 2019, 06:13:56 PM

That place is insane. Was there 10 years ago and they were still working on the inside but even then it was amazing.

-H.L. Mencken
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: June 08, 2019, 11:24:00 AM

Narita Sky Club has a machine that takes the glass and pours a perfect draft beer.  I want one for my house.

Takes like 5 minutes of practice, 10 if your tower isn’t refrigerated  Ohhhhh, I see.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: June 09, 2019, 04:22:38 AM

They invented it because nobody in this country knows how to pour a beer.

-Stephen Colbert
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: June 10, 2019, 01:17:43 PM

The Wife and I are heading to London in September for 7 full days.

We will see most of the the obvious sights around the city + the wife wants to do a day tour to Bath/Stonehenge/Windsor castle. 

Beyond these I'm sure that we will have plenty of time to explore the city. Any recommendations?

Professional Forum Lurker.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #130 on: June 10, 2019, 03:23:16 PM

Probably included in "the sights" already, but the Tower of London is a really good time as tourist attractions go.  I've been a couple of times and it was just as entertaining the second time.

Camden Town is a fun area to wander around for an afternoon and shop and people-watch and hear music.  I stayed there the last time I was in London and ran across a place called the Spiritual Bar which reminded me of the San Francisco of my childhood.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: June 10, 2019, 03:38:48 PM

See if you can get spots on one of the evening tours of Stonehenge where you get to actually walk up near the stones. The number of spaces are limited and they only run them on a few dates. You might even be able to have it as part of a package deal with Windsor/Bath beforehand. I didn't make it to Stonehenge on my super short trip last October because they were only running morning tours and that would have cut too tightly into my schedule.

Don't bother with the "view from the Shard" unless you have free entry through something like the London Pass (which is actually a decent deal).

The tour of Shakespeare's Globe is pretty cool, in September you can probably catch a show there too if you are into being a 'groundling'.

Pretty much all of the "historic English pubs" in London are owned by the same company and sell the same beers/food and have very similar decor. Think TGI Friday's, but in older buildings.

Definitely seconding the Tower of London.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #132 on: June 11, 2019, 10:38:09 AM

The Wife and I are heading to London in September for 7 full days.

We will see most of the the obvious sights around the city + the wife wants to do a day tour to Bath/Stonehenge/Windsor castle. 

Beyond these I'm sure that we will have plenty of time to explore the city. Any recommendations?

If you're eating in Bath, I really enjoyed an Indian restaurant called the Eastern Eye there. It won a slew of awards and was very good in terms of the food I had in England (admittedly the non-ethnic food was mostly awful unless they fried it).

Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: June 11, 2019, 03:31:25 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I will pass these on to the wife!

I've heard that any pub in London that advertises Authentic or historical on the front is to be avoided.  We will definitely be ordering our Oyster pass ahead of time and will take the stonehenge evening tour under advisement.

I do like some Indian food but living in Surrey, BC makes finding good Indian food ridiculously easy.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: June 11, 2019, 04:25:27 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I will pass these on to the wife!

I've heard that any pub in London that advertises Authentic or historical on the front is to be avoided.  We will definitely be ordering our Oyster pass ahead of time and will take the stonehenge evening tour under advisement.

I do like some Indian food but living in Surrey, BC makes finding good Indian food ridiculously easy.

There is really no difference between buying an Oyster card ahead of time and just grabbing one when you get there. The fares are the same regardless.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #135 on: June 11, 2019, 04:28:39 PM

The evening tour of Stonehenge is a good tip.  I was really excited about seeing Stonehenge and did the day trip out there, but Stonehenge itself was a big letdown since you're squinting at it from pretty far away.  Something that let us get closer was much more what I'd had in mind. 

Bath was great, though!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #136 on: June 12, 2019, 09:08:30 AM

Going to Ireland next month.

Considering a tour of Chernobyl before the crowds catch on, possibly in summer 2020. There will of course be some amount of Kyiv on the itinerary.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #137 on: June 12, 2019, 09:53:27 AM

Going to Ireland next month.

Considering a tour of Chernobyl before the crowds catch on, possibly in summer 2020. There will of course be some amount of Kyiv on the itinerary.

If you're going to the Western side of Ireland, the area around Ennis, Shannon, and Limerick is very cool. Totally different view of Ireland from the Eastern side. Also there's great coastlines and countryside.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: June 12, 2019, 10:41:52 AM

Galway is a really cool little city. Definitely go to the Burren and Cliffs of Moher (Insanity) if you are losing western Ireland.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: June 12, 2019, 05:15:39 PM

the wife wants to do a day tour to Bath/Stonehenge/Windsor castle. 

We did this one two years ago. You see cool stuff on this but it is a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG day tour from London and you don't get much time in Bath which is a shame because it is really cool.  I'd say just do Stonehenge/Bath rather than one that does all 3. And if you must see Windsor do that on a different day as it is relatively close. 

If you or the wife are into Harry Potter at all the studio tour is really cool and only about a hour north by bus.

The Churchill Bunker museum is a must see and relatively new.

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Traveling Advice/Tips/Suggestions  
Jump to: