Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2019, 04:16:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Traveling Advice/Tips/Suggestions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Traveling Advice/Tips/Suggestions  (Read 1170 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 06:27:16 PM

We've got a room in Austin with enough advance notice.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

Trading Cotton for Chalupas in 2014!

Reply #36 on: February 08, 2019, 08:16:24 PM

I'm sure we can do whatever you'd want to do when you're in DC.

I also fully endorse going to Vegas. And even though Chicago will have shit weather, maybe catch a Cubs game?

I'm generally not a fan of summer in general - most of my hobbies and interests are either weather-independent, or are winter sports.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 09:11:04 PM

Where can you buy the cool temple stamp notebooks?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 08, 2019, 09:14:24 PM

In July?  How about Colorado?  Rocky Mountain National Park, Mesa Verde, Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods, Royal Gorge bridge, and the US Air Force Academy come to mind.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

http://tinyurl.com/d89qk7g

Reply #39 on: February 08, 2019, 10:10:24 PM

Where can you buy the cool temple stamp notebooks?
If you go to any major temple, they'll be selling them at the same area you can get them printed in.  Also all over at various books stores and where ever as well, but the temples all sell them.  It's easy peasy, and again, I think one of the cooler and unique souvenirs you can bring back.
In July?  How about Colorado?  Rocky Mountain National Park, Mesa Verde, Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods, Royal Gorge bridge, and the US Air Force Academy come to mind.
That's actually very tempting.  When I was in third grade we did a family vacation for two weeks across the western US hitting almost all the national parks.  Hit most of those and would love to go back.  Unfortunately, I think I just have to prioritize some urban exploring this time around.  There are many great cities in the US I haven't seen, while I live in rural jungle country where I go on amazing hikes all the time anyways (or fly to Japan and spend thousands of dollars for the privilege of trying to kill myself hiking 25 km a day through very steep mountains on the same path insane mountain worshiping Buddhist did).  I'm just going to fly into some place and stay for 2-3 nights, not sure I'd really have all the time I need to go out and do all that.

On that note, thanks for all the suggestions everybody.  I'll have at least a week for travel, but I hope more.  To me, this means probably fly to Vegas, fly to Austin, and then with time, hit a third place before going to DC.  Both Chicago and New Orleans are great suggestions, as I've always wanted to see both.  I've been around New England so would probably skip something there, but I've only ever spent about 8 hours running around NY.  Wouldn't mind also going to see that crazy place with more time on my hands.  Hmmmm. 

You all also need to remember I literally live in the jungle, so humidity it just whatever to me, not going to avoid it.  Especially since I'll be moving to a place even more humid after I leave here.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #40 on: February 08, 2019, 10:47:32 PM

If you don't mind heat (and it would be a dry heat), the National Parks in Utah are great and could be a bridge between Vegas and Austin.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #41 on: February 09, 2019, 04:10:19 AM

Heading to Japan myself for 2.5 weeks in April (2 weeks in Tokyo with a 4 day trip to Kyoto in the middle), so this thread has been super helpful so far. Keep em coming!

My current  idea to not be overwhelmed by the thousands of things that I might do is to plan out every other day to check off sights in a certain district, with the days in between for free roaming.

I still get the feeling I'm not going to get to see anywhere near everything I want to, so making the most of it with details like that temple notebook is great.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 09, 2019, 07:45:13 AM

While the temple notebook looks cool, I won’t be visiting any temples in my trip as I am going to be skiing pretty much the whole time. I guess there is probably a temple in Sapporo I could visit on my one free day but I probably will miss it.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 12:46:23 PM

I'm going to recommend Yellowstone in July. It might not be snowing at that time, and it ranges from incredible to mind-boggling, if you're into nature at all.

Good luck with the reservations, though. You won't get anything for 2019.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 11, 2019, 08:43:50 PM

Yellowstone traffic is epic in July and August.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

http://tinyurl.com/d89qk7g

Reply #45 on: February 12, 2019, 01:40:03 AM

While the temple notebook looks cool, I won’t be visiting any temples in my trip as I am going to be skiing pretty much the whole time. I guess there is probably a temple in Sapporo I could visit on my one free day but I probably will miss it.
Yeah, I figured as much based on what you said.  Just wanted to throw it out there for anybody who is visiting.

Seeing some of the national parks in that region (Utah, Colorado, Yellowstone) is really tempting.  I'll have to think it over, and also see if its even possible (I know reservations can be a bitch).  The logistics just may be to tricky for my time frame, but I'll see what options I have.

In other travel news, I'll be heading to Ethopia and Kenya for my official R&R to visit some friends the last week of March.  We're going to try to go see Erta Ale, doing this fun tour:

http://www.ethiotravelandtours.com/tours/danakil-03-days/

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #46 on: February 12, 2019, 12:26:35 PM

Yellowstone traffic is epic in July and August.

I'd expect so.  I went during the first week of June and it was tolerable. Only some snow, varying by location within the park.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 14, 2019, 10:26:28 AM

The bad traffic in Yellowstone is concentrated on the loop between Gardiner and Canyon Village and then the big loop that goes from the lake around to the exit to West Yellowstone and back up to Gardiner. If you go down from Canyon Village to Tower Junction and then down the Lamar Valley, that's not so bad. The road from the lake out to Cody WY is also much less crowded, and Cody itself is kind of an interesting town. (Rodeo many nights in the high summer.)
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #48 on: February 14, 2019, 11:07:29 AM

Denver in July is pretty nifty, I've got a foodie friend for suggestions if you end up there. Best part of my travels are June/July in Colorado for all the parks/hiking, and Denver for food. And legal recreational pot for the wife.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #49 on: February 16, 2019, 06:50:59 PM

SOME TIME IN THE MIDDLE OF JULY.  My boring but basic plan right now is to fly to Vega’s, so I can eat stupid things and gamble stupid things.  Then maybe to Austin because Schild never stops talking about the food.  After that, I don’t know.  Chicago?  Utah (I do love the National Parks)?  Florida(hahahahaha)?  Anywhere else somebody can convince me? 

I have to do two weeks in DC for manditory training and meetings before I run back into the jungle to disappear from life and die from curry overdose.  Happy to hear suggestions.

I think Colorado is a winning suggestion it even makes sense or could be a road trip from Vegas before Austin. But thanks to Netflix I kind of want you to go to the Lake of the Ozarks...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Traveling Advice/Tips/Suggestions  
Jump to: