Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:05:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Outer Worlds - Obsidian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Outer Worlds - Obsidian  (Read 26673 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 25, 2019, 04:15:01 AM

Fuck, I like the sound of that.  I am now only wondering when/if it will get VR treatment and if I should wait for that. 

Narrator:  he won't wait for that.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 25, 2019, 05:56:13 AM

earth is in space my dude

also the last fallout had 0 content

Uhhh...what? This is the Trumpiest statement about a game I've ever heard. It may not have had content you enjoyed but saying it had 0 content is just plain silly. Even assuming you mean 76 it had tons of content. It wasn't deep, immersive roleplay content sadly but it had tons of stuff to do and questlines.

Back to the game this thread is actually about. I played a couple of hours last night. It was a lot of fun. One of the deeper RPG experiences I've had in a while. I built a dialogue heavy character and haven't regretted it yet. I do want to get some companions and get out of this starter area though.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #37 on: October 25, 2019, 06:20:34 AM

If you're playing on the PC, you can already modify some settings (Anisotropic Filtering, Chromatic Aberration) in the config file:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Outer_Worlds

In order to skip logo/company movies at the beginning:

Go to <path-to-game>\Indiana\Content\Movies.
Delete or rename Startup_Splash_1.mp4 and Startup_Splash_2.mp4

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: October 25, 2019, 07:26:35 AM

The dialogue options are pretty good. I decided I'd use my Lie skill quite a lot already and it's paid off in some significant hilarity.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 25, 2019, 10:15:41 AM

microsoft is the good guy now, haemish

I don't know if you're joking or not, but they truly are the lesser of all evils.  I met Satya and he's actually quite cool.

I like the look of this game, just to be 'on topic'.

why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: October 25, 2019, 11:31:00 AM

I'm not joking. They're the good guys. There's a reason they aren't part of FAANG.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #41 on: October 25, 2019, 12:06:14 PM

Barron's says it is now FANMAG, but whatever. My overlord isn't in any of those.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: October 25, 2019, 12:22:25 PM

Barron's is a bunch of boomers.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 26, 2019, 05:56:52 AM

If you have purchased the game on EGS (but it might work with the Game Pass config file I posted a screenshot about a couple messages ago), here are some settings to increase the LOD and make the game look better all around:

In the "Engine.ini" file , under [SystemSettings]  (like I said, see above, you should already have it if you disabled chromatic aberration via a line I posted earler), write these:

[SystemSettings]
r.MaxAnisotropy=16
r.MipMapLodBias=-1
r.ViewDistanceScale=5
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.25
foliage.LODDistanceScale=5

Then, if you have a Geforce card and installed the latest Nvidia drivers (440.97), go ahead and activate the GeForce experience overlay; when in game, press Alt-F3: it will open the infamous "Nvidia Freestyle" feature. Select "Sharpening" and increase the value to your tastes (also experiment with film grain and all the other filters, if you feel like it).

Congratulations, game now looks definitely better (or, at least, mine is now looking waaay better compared to vanilla+chromatic aberration. sorry, don't have time to post comparisons at the moment).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 26, 2019, 07:29:36 AM

Uh, is any of that Geforce experience stuff useful in general?  I just assumed it was resource hogging fluff, so have never tried using any of it.  Don’t even think I have an ID for the app.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 26, 2019, 12:56:24 PM

Geforce experience is handy, and IMO not that far off when it comes to the optimized settings they suggest for your games. Normally I keep all the shadowplay/Ansel/Overlay stuff off 'cause I have zero interest in them, so they don't affect the game framerate.

Obviously you can go ahead and keep downloading and installing drivers from the standalone website, that's still perfectly viable; in this particular case, I found that little Sharpening feature very handy and effective at an almost zero cost, FPS-wise (but I have a very good PC).

You should still notice a substantial difference if you just modify the engine.ini as described above (plus the chromatic aberration line) and nothing else.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 26, 2019, 01:22:33 PM

Loving this one.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #47 on: October 27, 2019, 07:03:27 AM

Hasn't grabbed me properly. Feel like I've seen it all before. Interface feels old. I'm up to deciding whose power distributor to take (deserters or town). Will give it another go, but I played two other games in my spare moments this weekend (and none of them was Elite Dangerous).
schild
Administrator

Reply #48 on: October 27, 2019, 11:26:02 AM

it's just fallout 4.1

which is fine if you want more fallout (which I did)

it's a solid 6/10
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 27, 2019, 01:08:30 PM

Having a great time with Outer Worlds. I'm glad I didn't jump the gun and buy that disco thing at full prices.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 27, 2019, 01:45:36 PM

Now at level 22 with two worlds underneath my belt.

Yah, it's more fallout with a huge SWOTOR vibe.

Alas, when you get a lot further, it falls into the same trap :  You got into VATS and shoot everything in the head.  You cheese the dialogue with stims.  You end up richer than Jesus and suddenly, you're just marking time till the endgame and wondering how many unique items you've missed because you didn't trudge through every single centimetre of that map.

It's fun, but it's not … sticky.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 27, 2019, 04:55:46 PM

Geforce experience is handy, and IMO not that far off when it comes to the optimized settings they suggest for your games. Normally I keep all the shadowplay/Ansel/Overlay stuff off 'cause I have zero interest in them, so they don't affect the game framerate.

Obviously you can go ahead and keep downloading and installing drivers from the standalone website, that's still perfectly viable; in this particular case, I found that little Sharpening feature very handy and effective at an almost zero cost, FPS-wise (but I have a very good PC).

You should still notice a substantial difference if you just modify the engine.ini as described above (plus the chromatic aberration line) and nothing else.

Geforce Experience also allows streaming through a third party program called Moonlight, if that is your thing (it is mine).

Anybody remember how big a download this thing is? I got bandwidth restrictions.
schild
Administrator

Reply #52 on: October 27, 2019, 05:01:34 PM

37gb I think.

It's really not worth the space. I'm glad it's an epic exclusive. They deserve each other.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 27, 2019, 07:54:24 PM

I'm quite enjoying this game. The companions are great and the dialogue and skills are old school enough it feels like a real proper RPG. I'm just about to go into Byzantium after I knock a few side quests out and am really liking it. Obsidian put a lot of work into the game and it shows.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #54 on: October 27, 2019, 08:16:55 PM

Btw Moonlight worked very well for me, playing stuff in bed...but you need to be in controller range of your PC.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 28, 2019, 11:12:12 AM

I'm loving it.  I got it through the Xbox game pass for PC.  The Xbox Console Companion is fucking awful, but the game is running perfectly.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 28, 2019, 12:53:29 PM

Rockwell cutscene was hilarious. 

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 28, 2019, 01:10:28 PM

i've been tempted to buy it that way because it'll cost $1 and that feels pretty fucking punishing for this Epic garbage

but like, the best RPG of the decade just came out and it isn't Outer Worlds

Disco Elysium?

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 28, 2019, 03:28:18 PM

All done.  That was ok.

Could have been better. 

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #59 on: October 28, 2019, 03:34:03 PM

Done, and don't feel any desire to try again for different stuffs. Pretty, but shallow. And no Rockwell cutscene for me, there's a known ctd flaw there that got me. I had to shoot him from outside.
schild
Administrator

Reply #60 on: October 28, 2019, 05:17:07 PM

i've been tempted to buy it that way because it'll cost $1 and that feels pretty fucking punishing for this Epic garbage

but like, the best RPG of the decade just came out and it isn't Outer Worlds

Disco Elysium?

Yes disco elysium
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #61 on: October 28, 2019, 08:39:18 PM

Holy shit, it's only around 20 hours worth? I was expecting longer. I just got off of Edgewater and I'm enjoying it so far.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #62 on: October 28, 2019, 11:50:01 PM

The game is longer than that if you do the side quests and don't skip through all the dialog. I'm at 20 hours and don't have the 6th companion yet and have a lot of stuff left to do on Monarch.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 29, 2019, 12:30:42 AM

I'm over 20 hours by now, I do have all the companions but I still feel I have a lot left to do, not finished on Monarch either.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 29, 2019, 01:40:40 AM

Be aware that it's the usual Fallout 'Abrupt End'.  It'll telegraph when it's going to happen (and even, rather nicely, give you a popup to prompt a save), but when it says 'Get the rest of the stuff done you want to do' it means it.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #65 on: October 29, 2019, 09:29:48 AM

Be warned:  I did the quest to look into the early retirement program on Byzantium.  I had some positive rep with the board and almost no negative rep.  After slogging through that, I emerged with over 50% negative rep, which made me kill on site the board.  Which means I'm kill on site to the entire city and many of their outposts.  It seems you can't actually complete quests after this because nobody will fucking talk to you, and each soldier you kill trying to defend yourself significantly dents your rep further.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I saved before restarting, so can go back and skip.  But hate having to repeat or lose content I just did.  Kind of lost the urge to log back in now.  I'm level 25 and a murder machine, which is sort of fun, but the game isn't even slightly challenging anymore.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #66 on: October 29, 2019, 09:37:30 AM

At no point is this game a challenge.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #67 on: October 29, 2019, 09:43:22 AM

Yeah, I would say that's one thing I've noticed so far - I got off the first planet without one single death. At no time did I really feel threatened. I'm hoping that changes but I'm already a killing machine at level 6.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #68 on: October 29, 2019, 09:56:44 AM

You people know you can change the difficulty right?
schild
Administrator

Reply #69 on: October 29, 2019, 10:29:05 AM

More sponge won't help OW.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Outer Worlds - Obsidian  
Jump to: