Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:05:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Suicide Squad 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suicide Squad 2  (Read 11871 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 11, 2021, 07:49:02 AM

Yeah, in the comics, you can pull a Starro off a face and it's not a problem (thank god, otherwise the whole Justice League would be dead, more or less) though it's usually something that takes super-strength to do. And yeah, when Starro gets frozen/blown up/etc. the stars generally just fall off and die.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 25, 2022, 02:12:25 PM

Gunn just got hired to be the Kevin Feige of all of DC Comics' stuff across TV and film, working with Peter Safran.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dc-movies-james-gunn-peter-safran-to-lead-film-tv-division-1235248438
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #37 on: October 25, 2022, 09:07:08 PM

Heh, alt-right shitgoblins try to get him kicked off a Guardians movie and now he runs the whole DC studio. Nice work chumps.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: October 26, 2022, 05:16:41 AM

Shame it won't make a difference. DC still doomed to be whatever is lower than wish.com for the mcu. Kohl's Cash MCU.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #39 on: October 26, 2022, 05:29:15 AM

Yeah, I'm bummed he's tied to DCU and not MCU now.

But, Suicide Squad was legit decent, and Peacemaker was legit good.  Both of which I think are a first for any DC product I've seen.  The fact that DC has no problems making R movies/series, unlike Marvel, also means he might be the perfect fit for it.  Probably their best and only hope to turning that shit around.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 26, 2022, 08:03:21 AM

Apparently the first thing he and Safran did was get Cavill back to play Superman.

I wonder a bit what he and Safran will do with the stuff that isn't quite as suited for a James Gunn approach...Presumably he will looking for people who can keep it fun but who have a different take or look than he does.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #41 on: October 26, 2022, 08:29:04 AM

Shame it won't make a difference. DC still doomed to be whatever is lower than wish.com for the mcu. Kohl's Cash MCU.
Playing out similar to the comics imo. DC got the early lead with its iconics (superman/batman/wonder woman) by decades. Marvel shows up with a superior product and takes their lunch until they lose it with too much cross-title event nonsense while DC tries to get edgier and edgier to compete.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 26, 2022, 09:46:52 AM

I think the meta-hilarious thing in the end is that a writer associated with Marvel (Marv Wolfman) comes over to DC, says "the problem you guys have is your continuity is too confusing unlike Marvel's, let's fix that with a huge company-wide crossover event", which ends up doing two things:

1) Making DC's continuity vastly more confusing, which the company then attempts to address over the decades since by making their continuity EVEN MORE CONFUSING
2) Making company-wide crossover events mandatory on a regular basis, which also leads to tons of bad storytelling and interrupts really good runs in arbitrary ways

Like, whatever assets DC did have before Crisis, they included not having to give a fuck about continuity, really. There was a Wonder Girl and that was fine until Marv Wolfman insisted that somebody had to figure out Wonder Girl and he realized that you couldn't make sense of her if you looked at the actual comics where she was introduced as an "imaginary version of Wonder Woman as a teenager". That was not a problem that needed solving until someone decided it needed solving.

I pick up a DC comic today and unless it's really sealed off from the general continuity by a really disciplined creator, I have absolutely no fucking idea what's going on, because it's successive layers of Infinite Final Dark Metal Monitor 52 Crisisbabble.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #43 on: October 26, 2022, 09:56:22 AM

Yeah, that tracks with me.  The only DC stuff I have enjoyed has been random epic Batman arcs (which can include other hero's from DC, but they still tell a coherent stand alone story like Long Halloween or Hush), or wacky stand alone stuff like Red Son. 

I can bitch non stop about how dumb Marvel has been with it's cross over events for decades, but they just have a much better stable of heroes, who work much better in a shared world when needed, and know how to make that shared world at least somewhat fun even at their worst.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #44 on: October 26, 2022, 07:22:39 PM

Every single time DC has tried to simplify its continuity, it is completely sabotaged by fans and/or creators who are also fans who just have to have their pet version of the hero they are writing back. So rather than stick with interesting storylines like Kyle Raynor/Wally West/Connor Hawke as legacy heroes, they find increasingly stupid, handwavy ways to reset things to a sort of weird, 80's-esque status quo. Then you get a decent writer like Geoff Johns, who is just so obsessed with decades of continuity, trying desperately to jib that continuity with modern sensibilities in an ever more icky way.

And then he makes a 2-year long epic story that brings the Watchmen into the DC Universe, all so he can complete a love letter to the meta concept of Superman as the ultimate superhero, in a comic that went out of his way to show how utterly incompatible the mythology of Superman is with those modern sensibilities.

Doomsday Clock sucked balls is what I'm saying.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Suicide Squad 2  
Jump to: