Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:39:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 130553 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: November 21, 2020, 09:08:07 AM

Thing is, the way this episode mentioned m-count is exactly the way the original Star Wars introduced tonnes of world building. A casual remark that has a bunch of implications if you want to think about them, but without a weird lecture on cellular biology given to an 8 year old.

'Jedi have shit in their blood that would help support cloning of super soldiers' sounds fair enough when introduced like this.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: November 21, 2020, 09:42:46 AM

Yeah, that.  Most of what was wrong with those things that shan't be named were the ham fisted presentation.  Like everything in the prequels.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #492 on: November 21, 2020, 10:02:06 AM

I do look forward to the inevitable fight with a squad of Force Troopers.

I hope they emphasize the fact all their shots hit, and the main characters just look at each other like "of fuck, we're screwed!"

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: November 21, 2020, 11:01:44 AM

I mean, Mando gets hit plenty, that's the point of his armor. It's against the other unprotected main characters that the stormtroopers aim suddenly goes cold.

I am the .00000001428%
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: November 21, 2020, 10:14:34 PM

IVF here. Did not equate the egg eating with infertility. I do dislike the Hollywood fetish with morally gray characters though. BY is a dick but Mando is also a dick for slaughtering Jawas. If they ever go to Endor I'd expect more dick moves with the Ewoks.

I'm more offended by the existence of the entire The Last Jedi movie. As far as it looking bad on Disney; Disney would sell their only disabled grandma for a dollar if they could. They are already scum of the earth.

This episode (S2C12) and S2C11 were pretty good Star Wars. I like Mando's armor shiny as a counterpoint to the grittiness of the Star Wars universe. Similarly to how the storm troopers are white. The short made for TV camera angles are very suspension of disbelief breaking though.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:31:29 PM by Krakrok »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #495 on: November 22, 2020, 12:13:39 AM

Baby Yoda isn't a dick - he's just a baby. He knows the concept of hunger and "mine." Not sure you could attribute his actions to much more than that.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: November 22, 2020, 06:31:45 AM

Baby's are dicks.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #497 on: November 22, 2020, 09:26:37 AM

Looked like Snoke in the clone tank.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #498 on: November 22, 2020, 05:38:33 PM

I kind of assumed that they were leaning towards making this part of it the story of how Palpatine cloned himself or something.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: November 23, 2020, 04:55:33 AM

That episode (and others) proved that episodic Star Wars is actually much better than movie Star Wars, and even the technology is there to pull it off.  And that Carl Weathers directed it tickles me pink.

And agreed about the speeders and TIEs.  I could watch thirty minutes of those chase scenes and nothing else and be totally satisfied.

And now that we are hopefully over that past coversation, let's just put it out there:  Baby Yoda is still the best thing probably ever.  I laughed so hard.

Episodic SW and not better that movie SW. Like Ab says, it's just need to be Star Wars and not some shitty movies that we've gotten with the prequels and sequels. I think Rogue One proves that. Star Wars has always been about epic battles of good and evil. Mandalorian shows us that it can also be about smaller stories too.

Works both ways I think, you just need to be able to understand the simple beats that makes SW fun.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: November 23, 2020, 05:00:23 AM

I kind of assumed that they were leaning towards making this part of it the story of how Palpatine cloned himself or something.

Is that what the internet is saying? I try to avoid all the hour long episode breakdowns of a half hour show. I think it's just clones and messed up experiments.

I was talking with a bud of mine and we were speculating whether or not Gideon is the big bad of the empire, or if he is the regional big bad. Will we see an epic escalation of a regional fight only to find out there is a mastermind behind Gideon? Is the story building to anything outside their TV show like future movies?

I kind of doubt it personally. Very hard to build a bigger story around a show where you have the shitty sequels just looming over your head.

Unless Disney just says, fuck the sequels, and just say they aren't cannon which is doubtful.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #501 on: November 23, 2020, 05:52:27 AM

It could be that Disney is allowing Favreau to fill out the backstory about the First Order that the sequel movies should have but who the fuck knows what Disney is thinking? After all, they released Rise of Skywalker.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: November 23, 2020, 06:23:36 AM

Is that what the internet is saying? I try to avoid all the hour long episode breakdowns of a half hour show. I think it's just clones and messed up experiments.

I was talking with a bud of mine and we were speculating whether or not Gideon is the big bad of the empire, or if he is the regional big bad. Will we see an epic escalation of a regional fight only to find out there is a mastermind behind Gideon? Is the story building to anything outside their TV show like future movies?

I kind of doubt it personally. Very hard to build a bigger story around a show where you have the shitty sequels just looming over your head.

Unless Disney just says, fuck the sequels, and just say they aren't cannon which is doubtful.

He's a Moff not a Grand Moff, so probably more local.

I am the .00000001428%
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: November 23, 2020, 07:09:32 AM

Well, pre-fall of the Empire Moffs used to be sector governors, so he is not low on the totem pole either.

Mandalorian is 25 years before the last three movies, isn't it? Plenty of time to kill off the old guard to get replaced by the teen squad of  the last trilogy.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:12:11 AM by Tebonas »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: November 23, 2020, 07:41:19 AM

And the empire is in complete disarray.  A local governor like him would probably have ambitions to take a bigger pieces of the pie.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: November 23, 2020, 08:37:14 AM

There is clearly some orderly conduct. They have clean uniforms, shiny ships and plenty of personnel. It looks to have some sort of manufacturing base etc.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: November 23, 2020, 11:14:18 AM

Or at least, there is a Corby trouser press in the barracks.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #507 on: November 23, 2020, 01:04:25 PM

Where was the cleaning staff? The troop carrier had a tarp over it, so we can assume the vehicle maintenance guys were laid off, but the halls were still pretty clean. Maybe they were part-time stormtroopers?

Maybe the reason some stormtroopers shoot so poorly is that they are actually just working stiff stuffed into armor and handed a blaster?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #508 on: November 23, 2020, 09:04:15 PM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: November 24, 2020, 07:18:15 AM

Doot doot doot-doot!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #510 on: November 24, 2020, 08:17:56 PM

Well, the movie Solo did essentially make it so that droids have agency, so blowing up a base with droid cleaning staff in it is still murder, right?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #511 on: November 24, 2020, 08:20:49 PM

Only fuck-droids have agency in the SW universe.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: November 25, 2020, 05:28:39 AM

Only fuck-droids have agency in the SW universe.

Any droid can be a fuck-droid if you're willing enough.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: November 27, 2020, 10:11:58 AM

-H.L. Mencken
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: November 27, 2020, 10:28:30 AM

First half of that espeicially has many beautiful shots that could have come straight out of clone wars. Far and away the prettiest episode, despite being wall to wall mud and fog.

Fantastic how well they captured her movement and lightsabre style. I wasn't totally sold on the costume though.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: November 27, 2020, 10:57:13 AM

-H.L. Mencken
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: November 27, 2020, 01:07:19 PM

I wasn't totally sold on the costume though.

It looked exactly like her last clone wars outfit. Unless you mean it should have been her rebels outfit, which actually makes sense.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: November 27, 2020, 02:02:09 PM

I didn't see rebels either, so I had a similar reaction to you when she name dropped him.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #518 on: November 27, 2020, 03:03:12 PM

Top to bottom a really good episode. A lot of really effective shots and atmosphere, clearly tons of fan service that I'm not nerdy enough to catch.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: November 27, 2020, 04:51:45 PM

Top to bottom a really good episode. A lot of really effective shots and atmosphere, clearly tons of fan service that I'm not nerdy enough to catch.

I was told there was KOTOR/SWTOR fan service but I don't know enough about SW (including legends) to know if the references I caught were specific to the games or not.

Those would be:

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: November 27, 2020, 05:40:29 PM

Well finally a plot episode. I have to say it did fix my one nagging issue with baby yoda  and that final scene was easily better than any new trilogy light saber duel. Even with a lower bar this episode clearly a reason to watch this show. 10/10.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 06:38:06 PM by MediumHigh »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: November 27, 2020, 06:23:13 PM

Well, certainly young Anakin piloting his fighter through Trade Federation ships was an example of well-trained Force use! So yes, by all means, let us complain of Disney!

And look at Luke! He had to train for a whole week or two with Yoda on Dagobah before he became a pretty fair dab with the Force. Almost a lifetime of training!
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: November 27, 2020, 06:37:03 PM

I mean I'm sorry actual star wars cannon kills your dreams of waking up one day and being jedi. I mean I'm not really but at the very least I can enjoy a show for giving a shit about star wars cannon.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #523 on: November 27, 2020, 07:39:13 PM

*canon

Sorry, personal *twitch* issue.

--Dabe

--Signature Unclear
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: November 27, 2020, 08:10:51 PM

Pretty amazing Easter eggs and foreshadowing in this episode.   Anyone else catch that Pedro Pascal's character in GoT's used a spear?   What did the Mandalorian get in this episode... a lightsaber resisting spear.   Should be useful against a certain Moff Gideon and his Dark Saber.   Trial by combat Pt 2 anyone?

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian  
Jump to: