Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:18:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 131764 times)
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #455 on: November 18, 2020, 03:01:27 PM

Fuck, there are a lot of ignorant, insensitive, heartless fuckheads here. 

The amazing lack of empathy shouldn't be shocking to me.  It really shouldn't. 
People in this forum are perfectly capable of empathy. If you've got a story to share, and it seems germaine and honest, people will show regard for that, or at least keep the snark to a minimum.

What we're all pretty immune to is empathic manipulation on behalf of hypothetical or abstract others, not present. Our response to "Think of the children!" is going to be "Why, are they good with ketchup?" You want to guilt-trip, we're going to lean into the barbed comments.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: November 18, 2020, 03:41:05 PM

You barely even gave a shit yourself at first, you just said it was darker than you expected. ...
I'm pissed at the idiotic dumb fucks with no empathy.  The ones that say, "Go get therapy and shut up".  It is the RESPONSE to the episode, here and elsewhere, that is reminding me of what fuckheads so many people are. 

Since this seems to directed at me mainly, the response was to your belligerent white-knighting for a retarded cause - mainly the cleansing of main-stream media from everything that could be negatively affecting somebody. The others just tried to show you how ridiculous and impossible that cause is by further examples.

Why you go into a meltdown over this instead of realizing how dumb your statement was is another question altogether.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: November 18, 2020, 03:49:28 PM

You barely even gave a shit yourself at first, you just said it was darker than you expected. ...
I'm pissed at the idiotic dumb fucks with no empathy.  The ones that say, "Go get therapy and shut up".  It is the RESPONSE to the episode, here and elsewhere, that is reminding me of what fuckheads so many people are. 

A huge number of people struggle with infertility.  They may spend their entire life's savings to try to bring their biological kids into the world, and then get nothing for all of their efforts.  They are financially devastated, guilty that they gave so much for nothing (when that money might have been used for an adopted child's college, etc...), and angry/devastated that something they took for granted - a fundamental piece of the life they always pictured - will never be theirs.  A lot of people looked at this episode and saw it as mocking (or just being ignorantly insensitive) to what so many people go through.  Some people struggle through infertility issues for over a decade.  For many, it is the single most painful thing they ever go through. 

After 9/11, Hollywood spent years avoiding anything that might be considered a reference to that day.  They digitally removed the Twin Towers from movies.  They changed storylines to avoid plane crashes or collapsing buildings.  There was a widespread understanding that you should avoid reminding people of that trauma. 

Far more people deal with infertility issues, and it isn't something that changes in one morning - it is a struggle that builds and dominates lives for a long time.  And - yes - comparing the trauma of 9/11 to the pain people suffer through with infertility issues is 100% appropriate.  Losing the family you learn you could never have can be as traumatic as losing someone you love. 

Making the loss of the eggs a punchline is a bad look for Disney.  However, saying people just need to get over it, need to shut and go to therapy, etc... just makes you a huge fucking insensitive asshole in ways that are far worse.  It puts your ass in the same fucking category as Trump and his idiots - unable to think about anyone but you and people that think like you. 

This is really basic human empathy shit.
Psycho.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #458 on: November 18, 2020, 04:03:34 PM

This thread delivers.
 swamp poop ACK! swamp poop why so serious?

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #459 on: November 18, 2020, 04:23:28 PM

Are we talking about space frogs?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: November 18, 2020, 04:37:15 PM

Just when I was beginning to think that the forum medium was dying out.

Just think, those eyes would have probably been better with a good dipping sauce. Poor baby yoda.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #461 on: November 18, 2020, 04:41:12 PM

Listen. Infertility does suck and all and it was pretty miserable going through the whole process (and I wasn't even the one having to take all the injections), but we are talking about a puppet eating CGI space frog eggs.  People need some perspective if that is really going to bother them and this show is the least of their issues if it does.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #462 on: November 18, 2020, 04:54:01 PM

i'm adopted and my mom is barren and yoda eating babies is legit the only funny thing in the history of star wars

jg, my dude, this whole thing is fuckin stupid and embarassing
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: November 18, 2020, 05:17:13 PM

Listen. Infertility does suck and all and it was pretty miserable going through the whole process (and I wasn't even the one having to take all the injections), but we are talking about a puppet eating CGI space frog eggs.  People need some perspective if that is really going to bother them and this show is the least of their issues if it does.

Been exactly here and same.

The thing I'd add is that what makes me super sceptical that any significant proportion of the complaints is from people with actual experience, is that this experience is about an endless grind of trying things which give almost zero feedback and take months and months to do.

This show did not attempt to present anything that felt or looked at all like dealing with infertility.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: November 18, 2020, 06:19:46 PM

We went past Midichlorian's Law and hit plaid

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #465 on: November 18, 2020, 09:00:24 PM

Just think, those eyes would have probably been better with a good dipping sauce. Poor baby yoda.

Careful, let's not get the szechuan sauce nerds riled up again!
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: November 19, 2020, 06:10:23 AM

The thing I'd add is that what makes me super sceptical that any significant proportion of the complaints is from people with actual experience, is that this experience is about an endless grind of trying things which give almost zero feedback and take months and months to do.

This show did not attempt to present anything that felt or looked at all like dealing with infertility.
Dude.  Read.  Go outside your little f13 bubble and read the complaints on the mainstream sites.  Don't just contain your asses to self reinforcing beliefs in a tiny community.  Don't be like the Red Clown followers.

And, again, FUCKING READ.  While I think that eating the eggs of a sentient creature is a bad look for Disney, my problem is with the fuckheads here and how they are talking about the people that are triggered by this situation.

But, please, feel free to go on championing for the degradation of people that have suffered.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #467 on: November 19, 2020, 06:15:54 AM

Dude.  Read.  Go outside your little f13 bubble and read the complaints on the mainstream sites.  Don't just contain your asses to self reinforcing beliefs in a tiny community.  Don't be like the Red Clown followers.
And, again, FUCKING READ.  While I think that eating the eggs of a sentient creature is a bad look for Disney, my problem is with the fuckheads here and how they are talking about the people that are triggered by this situation.
But, please, feel free to go on championing for the degradation of people that have suffered.
Degradation? I think you're the one who needs to read some other stuff. I've not seen the stuff you're talking about anywhere else except the same few copypastes from facebook/twitter.

[edit: speeling hard]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 08:18:13 AM by rattran »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #468 on: November 19, 2020, 06:42:05 AM

Dude it’s fine. Whatever has people riled up about SW out there doesn’t mean it needs to translate here. I did not think anyone is arguing you may not have seen something about it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #469 on: November 19, 2020, 07:04:32 AM

read the complaints on the mainstream sites.  
Or don't. Seriously. Web journalism is a trash hole worthy of this current tangent, and comments are seepage from the devil's anus. And you dare give us shit about some snark. C'mon, man.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: November 19, 2020, 07:06:53 AM

I'm done.  Lost causes.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: November 19, 2020, 12:52:30 PM

wow

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
schild
Administrator

Reply #472 on: November 19, 2020, 03:47:11 PM

lol
schild
Administrator

Reply #473 on: November 19, 2020, 03:49:43 PM

I'm sorry dude, but you're a grown ass man. I don't know what's going on irl, though I can guess at some of it, bit the net is that this whole little fight is absolutely mega stupid.

Getting mad online about a non-controversy, here OF ALL PLACES, and about star wars

Just step back and regardless of the topic, you *have* to respect how utterly ridiculous that is.

I'm sorry people on fb or some shit are upset about a sentient poop emoji eating alien whateverthefuck because they had trouble conceiving
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #474 on: November 19, 2020, 07:04:07 PM

Dude.  Read.  Go outside your little f13 bubble and read the complaints on the mainstream sites.  Don't just contain your asses to self reinforcing beliefs in a tiny community.  Don't be like the Red Clown followers.

And, again, FUCKING READ.  While I think that eating the eggs of a sentient creature is a bad look for Disney, my problem is with the fuckheads here and how they are talking about the people that are triggered by this situation.

The last thing you should take at face value is an extremely online "controversy". Are you one of the people "triggered by this situation"? Do you know, IRL, any of these people? Can you actually prove they exist?

Because there's a good chance they don't. Or at least that they are vanishingly rare, and most of those pretending to be them are in it for the lulz.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: November 19, 2020, 07:52:32 PM

Since we're getting more serious, exactly this. I have come round to Mahrin's way of thinking on this, mostly. This is not to say that there are not real people with really strong feelings who react in emotionally real ways to what we see in our culture and who then go on to say something about that in various forums.

And we should absolutely acknowledge that there are people who are in their completely real lives under siege from the Internet for doing things that they believe are completely ordinary and commonsensical. The WaPo has a thing this weekend from a woman who is--well, was--a public health officer in a small county in Missouri who is getting death threats and other real life shit like people following her children around town and taking photos of them etc. just because she believes in masks.

Games, Star Wars, you name it, can bleed into real life in ways both trivial and profound. So I don't doubt that somebody somewhere may have felt bad or weird or angry about Action Baby Yoda Egg Slurper. In fact, even the most ostensibly innocent popular culture can hurt or concern someone in ways that are sometimes retrospectively predictable and other times wholly surprising.

But I do doubt two things: first, that there's some real massive groundswell of real people who are really feeling this way who are somehow tangibly knowable and obviously so on social media somewhere that only one of the many nerd-aware people on this site can see and know and take seriously. So get the fuck over yourself and get a grip.

And second, that the few real people who might feel this way are so obviously justified in feeling deep and profound pain about one element of a sprawling pop-culture series that has in its time blithely and for your amusement served up heroes killing tens of thousands of enemies with one shot, summary executions and maimings galore by the Good Guys, slavery that is ignored by Our Heroes, a heroine being stripped nude redressed in a bikini and chained to a lusty space slug, a father torturing his daughter, a wise old space wizard lying his fucking head off to his young apprentice in order to trick him into abandoning his aunt and uncle, the casual mistreatment of sapient robots by bigoted humans, and a character we're told to think of as redeemable personally murdering a huge number of young children and being enthusiastically involved in the genocidal destruction of an entire planet. And so on and so forth. It's kind of like the willing suspension of disbelief. You want to get fucking serious about Star Wars? You will have to stop watching it altogether then, because the number of people who are entitled to clutch their pearls and write on a subreddit under the name MegaInfertileKaren about how they are feeling such deep pain about BabyYoda's ovary-slurping escapades is only the beginning of the semi-fake people who can operatically demand that you sally forth onto some no-name forum and confront all the people you know nothing about over their insensitivity to other people you know nothing about.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:55:41 PM by Khaldun »
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #476 on: November 19, 2020, 10:24:02 PM

I'm done.  Lost causes.

Feel free to return after your vaginectomy.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #477 on: November 20, 2020, 01:58:35 AM

Dude.  Read.  Go outside your little f13 bubble and read the complaints on the mainstream sites.  Don't just contain your asses to self reinforcing beliefs in a tiny community.  Don't be like the Red Clown followers.

And, again, FUCKING READ.  While I think that eating the eggs of a sentient creature is a bad look for Disney, my problem is with the fuckheads here and how they are talking about the people that are triggered by this situation.

Wait...
Wait...
Like seriously hold on I need a sec here to...

You’re quoting someone who seemingly just said he had first hand experience dealing with infertility stuff (in response to another person saying they also had experience with it).

And your response was to tell that person they need to leave their bubble and go read the pain of anonymous commenters on the internet in order to understand how they suffered?

It’s late and I need someone to tell me I’m reading this wrong.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 09:09:00 PM by Velorath »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #478 on: November 20, 2020, 05:25:04 AM

This thread is making me suffer.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #479 on: November 20, 2020, 06:28:36 AM

This thread is making me suffer.
This is the way.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: November 20, 2020, 08:26:52 AM

ANYWAY new episode.

And I really think they are getting into their stride this season. The action very occasionally reaches beyond what their TV budget can deliver, but only just. Compare this with the ATST episode or prison ship episode from season 1 and they've clearly got so much better at what they are trying to do.

Also BY waving his arms around near the end was very cool.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: November 20, 2020, 09:17:07 AM

Guys, I feel it prudent to warn that several very sensitive subject matters were insensitively displayed in the most recent episode, including:

Any of you having previously experienced trauma in related areas might want to skip this one.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #482 on: November 20, 2020, 10:32:06 AM

Oh hey, Carl Weathers got to direct that episode. That's cool.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: November 20, 2020, 03:16:19 PM

Like Scandal Makers?

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: November 20, 2020, 05:43:18 PM

Go outside your little f13 bubble

No.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #485 on: November 20, 2020, 10:35:25 PM

That was a good episode. Plenty of action, lots of Baby Yoda humor. Exactly what I'm looking for from this show.

EDIT: Somehow I forgot Gina Carano being hot as hell. I'm so ashamed.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: November 20, 2020, 11:16:18 PM

Too bad she is such a shitty person.

Great action this episode. Just the sound design of the chase with the speeders and TIE fighters tickled my brain. Good direction by Carl Weathers and his goatee was nails.

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: November 21, 2020, 12:24:57 AM

That episode (and others) proved that episodic Star Wars is actually much better than movie Star Wars, and even the technology is there to pull it off.  And that Carl Weathers directed it tickles me pink.

And agreed about the speeders and TIEs.  I could watch thirty minutes of those chase scenes and nothing else and be totally satisfied.

And now that we are hopefully over that past coversation, let's just put it out there:  Baby Yoda is still the best thing probably ever.  I laughed so hard.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: November 21, 2020, 01:44:49 AM

His "weeeee"' in the Razor was great.  I also love little tidbits like the Troopers dropping the "It's them, Blast 'em!" and the reactor switch being in a ridiculously perilous place with no guardrail for no reason.  The people that make this are obviously just flat out original SW nerds (with a good dose of humor) and it really comes through to my delight.  On some level I don't even really give a shit about the story, I just dig the vibe which reminds me of when I saw the OG trilogy 40 years go. Is it "fan service"? Fuck ya, gimme gimme.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 01:47:12 AM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #489 on: November 21, 2020, 02:20:21 AM

However, they’ve unfortunately made the cardinal sin of not only acknowledging midichlorians, but looks like are basing the entire overarching plot around them.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian  
Jump to: