Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:45:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain Marvel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Captain Marvel  (Read 52413 times)
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: March 24, 2019, 10:57:38 PM

GotG is my top pick for the Marvel Universe. Winter Soldier and Thor Ragnorak compete for second place.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
schild
Administrator

Reply #211 on: March 24, 2019, 10:59:59 PM

i'm not going to quote it since we are a stone age forum software with no tagging

but how the fuck does one have "emotional investment" in infinity war

it was a movie that didn't matter, it's literally the LEAST emotional and MOST inconsequential movie in the entire mcu

edit: oh, another page and setanta is the first response - perfect, explain yourself

edit 2:
GotG is my top pick for the Marvel Universe.

also explain this
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: March 25, 2019, 08:06:32 AM

I just assumed he was talking about humans with actual super powers. There's a number of people who have non-alien tech, or are actual aliens. Black Panther is borderline as his tech and powers come from an alien metal.

His powers come from a plant.  His suit is made of an alien metal.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #213 on: March 25, 2019, 08:43:12 AM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #214 on: March 25, 2019, 09:42:16 AM

I have plenty of emotional investment in Infinity War because 1) most of the characters are either ones that I've loved since I was a kid or because there have been a decade worth of well-developed movies about many of the characters and 2) the ending.

You may say that "oh the ending is just going to get undone and everyone will live!" Yeah, I don't think that's a stone cold certainty. There will be some undoing of it but I don't expect MCU Phase 2 or 3 or whatever is after Infinity War is going to have the same cast of characters nor do I think all of those characters make it out alive.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #215 on: March 25, 2019, 09:56:08 AM

I just assumed he was talking about humans with actual super powers. There's a number of people who have non-alien tech, or are actual aliens. Black Panther is borderline as his tech and powers come from an alien metal.

His powers come from a plant.  His suit is made of an alien metal.

True, however the plant was mutated by the alien metal.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: March 26, 2019, 02:42:33 AM

I find it hard to care about the avengers movies at all. Firstly because only avengers assemble was any good, secondly because the way disney uses them primarily to reorganise the brand line up shows through a bit too obviously. Same problem crossover 'events' have in the comics.

There are some cool explosions and jokes. I'll sit through them happily for that reason.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:44:42 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: March 26, 2019, 03:00:14 AM

i'm not going to quote it since we are a stone age forum software with no tagging

but how the fuck does one have "emotional investment" in infinity war

it was a movie that didn't matter, it's literally the LEAST emotional and MOST inconsequential movie in the entire mcu

edit: oh, another page and setanta is the first response - perfect, explain yourself

edit 2:
GotG is my top pick for the Marvel Universe.

also explain this

I enjoyed it more than the other movies.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: March 27, 2019, 02:17:03 PM

Granted CA is my favorite hero of all time but I really do think CA:TFA is underrated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DXG4lm-CNo
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #219 on: March 27, 2019, 08:20:29 PM

Finally saw this. Was solid though lacking enough specialness to overcome the fact that the character means nothing at all to me and has boring power/origin/background.

Not a bad day at the movies but mainly because it signaled that Endgame is next and it had been awhile since I'd seen a comic in theaters having skipped Ant Man 2 and Aquaman and whatever else I skipped between Infinity War and now.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #220 on: March 27, 2019, 08:24:18 PM

.... having skipped Ant Man 2 and Aquaman and whatever else I skipped between Infinity War and now.

I can understand why you skipped those two, but if you haven't done it already, you should catch up on Ant Man 2. It's about 500% better than the first one and legitimately a top tier MCU movie. Aquaman was shit though, you missed nothing by skipping that one.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: March 28, 2019, 08:35:39 AM

I'll second Iain's recommendation, Ant Man 2 is solid.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #222 on: March 28, 2019, 09:28:17 AM

I prefer MCU when it's doing smaller, character driven stuff. The first Spidey, Cap: 1st Avenger, Ant-Man.

Though my favorite thus far is probably Thor Ragnarok.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: March 28, 2019, 09:42:04 AM

Aquaman is fucking DC you infidels. Also none of the MCU movies are bad enough to skip. No, not even that one.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #224 on: March 28, 2019, 09:48:01 AM

Yeah, I have to chime with to agree that Ant-Man and Wasp is a whole lot better than the first Ant-Man (and I liked the first one). It's a more solid story, better fights and visuals, just top-notch all-around. I regret not having seen it in the theater.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: March 28, 2019, 02:52:18 PM

I prefer MCU when it's doing smaller, character driven stuff. The first Spidey, Cap: 1st Avenger, Ant-Man.

Though my favorite thus far is probably Thor Ragnarok.

I like the stupid over the top stuff. GotG, Thor:Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War.

Iron Man is the only "earth" movie I really enjoy (The first Avengers movie is pretty decent tho).

Finally watched the rest of winter soldier, and enjoyed it a bit, but it's still not my preferred style.

Yeah, I have to chime with to agree that Ant-Man and Wasp is a whole lot better than the first Ant-Man (and I liked the first one). It's a more solid story, better fights and visuals, just top-notch all-around. I regret not having seen it in the theater.

I saw it at the movies and it's decent, but nothing really amazing about it that stands out either. Maybe as a "MCU fan" you bring enough other stuff in to enjoy it, but as a standalone movie the highs and lows were fairly flat?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 02:54:54 PM by lamaros »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #226 on: March 28, 2019, 07:43:43 PM

Granted CA is my favorite hero of all time but I really do think CA:TFA is underrated:

Not going to watch a 12 minute video on it but it's a solid movie made better by the fact that Cap's had the best arc across his movies. Also I'd say Hayley Atwell is the best love interest in any of the MCU movies but I don't want to diminish her role by reducing her simply to Cap's love interest. As much I liked the Netflix shows (at least when they were really on their game), we should be talking about a revival of Agent Carter before pushing for the Netflix stuff to be brought back.

I wasn't a huge fan of Sebastian Stan as Bucky but from Winter Soldier on I think he's done an awesome job, again making me retroactively like him in TFA more. The supporting cast is stacked pretty deep with talent as well like Toby Jones, Neal McDonough, Dominic Cooper, Stanley Tucci, and Tommy Lee Jones. So yeah, good movie. If there's one thing I kinda don't like about it, it's that the majority of his time in WWII is reduced to a montages. I understand they had to get him to the present by the end of the movie to set up Avengers though.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: March 28, 2019, 08:17:27 PM

Not going to watch a 12 minute video on it but it's a solid movie made better by the fact that Cap's had the best arc across his movies. Also I'd say Hayley Atwell is the best love interest in any of the MCU movies but I don't want to diminish her role by reducing her simply to Cap's love interest. As much I liked the Netflix shows (at least when they were really on their game), we should be talking about a revival of Agent Carter before pushing for the Netflix stuff to be brought back.

I wasn't a huge fan of Sebastian Stan as Bucky but from Winter Soldier on I think he's done an awesome job, again making me retroactively like him in TFA more. The supporting cast is stacked pretty deep with talent as well like Toby Jones, Neal McDonough, Dominic Cooper, Stanley Tucci, and Tommy Lee Jones. So yeah, good movie. If there's one thing I kinda don't like about it, it's that the majority of his time in WWII is reduced to a montages. I understand they had to get him to the present by the end of the movie to set up Avengers though.

Yeah the movie sort of falls apart after Cap rescues Bucky and the Howling Commandos.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: March 29, 2019, 01:58:03 AM

Every single MCU movie falls apart in the third act.

The formula seems to require it.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #229 on: March 29, 2019, 10:12:39 PM

That is ridiculously untrue.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: March 30, 2019, 04:12:53 AM

This bickering is amusing when it's pretty much fact that Spiderverse is the finest superhero movie of all time in all respects.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: March 31, 2019, 06:17:17 PM

This bickering is amusing when it's pretty much fact that Spiderverse is the finest superhero movie of all time in all respects.
Well duh. That's a given.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: April 01, 2019, 12:21:57 PM

The Incredibles.

Fight me.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: April 01, 2019, 12:26:15 PM

Doesn't even compare to Spiderverse. Not even in the same league.

Nope.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: April 01, 2019, 12:36:36 PM

Incredables was great, but it was not without its problems, mainly coming from the Randian things that were mixed in with it which spoiled the story for me. The big one for me was that the Villians goals were not actually that bad. He basically long term wanted to give everyone superpowers, and that was supposed to be the shocking horrible future because that means no-one would stand out and be extraordinary. That ties into the Father talking about how everyone seems to want to be mediocre, and the whole thing about suppressing people with superpowers because society wanted conformity, which is very Randian attitude.

They were small things because you will correctly argue that the Villains methods were the problem, but it spoiled the thing a bit for me. Not to the extent of saying it wasn't a great movie, because it was, but it means there are little niggles in my head when I think about it.

Hic sunt dracones.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: April 01, 2019, 05:19:56 PM

The Incredibles.

Fight me.
Sorry, not even close. And I liked the Incredibles.

Spiderverse was magic. Bottled. Distilled. Offered up to you on a platter.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: April 02, 2019, 04:32:34 PM

This is now the first 1b solo debut movie.

I am the .00000001428%
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #237 on: April 03, 2019, 03:46:56 AM

Every single MCU movie falls apart in the third act.

The formula seems to require it.

Pattern of the Netflix Marvel series too.

Strong opening => build tense narrative => look over here at mediocre secondary villain for 3-4 episodes => end main plot
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: April 03, 2019, 04:54:00 AM

Except for Jessica Jones.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain Marvel  
Jump to: