Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:34:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain Marvel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Captain Marvel  (Read 52417 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #175 on: March 18, 2019, 10:23:48 PM

I've got to admit F13 movie threads irritate the fuck out of me as the monocle wearing afficionados surgically remove any fun they detect. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

By all means, if some of you guys want to reduce all conversation about movies down to "Fun", you've got some bright futures ahead of you writing review blurbs for Shaq's movies once he gets his acting career going again.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: March 19, 2019, 10:00:46 AM

Yes, but that was the aforementioned one guy who didn't like the movie saying that and everybody else disagreeing....

It’s one thing to argue why you didn’t like something. It’s another thing if you basically use the lingo of the YouTube diversity hate squad in your argument.

Mary Sue gets thrown around so often nowadays by the sort of YouTuber and shitposter who also talks about Feminazis, SJWs and liberal agendas that I get extremely wary every time terms like this get used in an argument.

„I don’t like this“ I don’t mind. „YouTube told me I shouldn’t like this because reasons“ is a different matter though.

They use the phrase incorrectly which is annoying on its own.

Thor nearly killed Thanos solo and we're supposed to worry that he'll be ineffectual against Thanos in the next movie and need CM to beat him?  Ohhhhh, I see.

It doesn't look all that hard to beat Thanos if your powers come from an infinity stone. Wanda was able to hold him off and destroy a gem at the same time. There's no telling what she could have done if she had just concentrated on kicking Thanos' ass.

All this pre emptive whining about CM in A:E (given that we don't even know who will be the big bad in A:E) is just dumb.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: March 19, 2019, 11:32:48 AM

Yup, I don't get the power level conversation. She did nothing Thor couldn't have done.

I am the .00000001428%
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: March 19, 2019, 12:24:27 PM

Yes, but that was the aforementioned one guy who didn't like the movie saying that and everybody else disagreeing....

It’s one thing to argue why you didn’t like something. It’s another thing if you basically use the lingo of the YouTube diversity hate squad in your argument.

Mary Sue gets thrown around so often nowadays by the sort of YouTuber and shitposter who also talks about Feminazis, SJWs and liberal agendas that I get extremely wary every time terms like this get used in an argument.

„I don’t like this“ I don’t mind. „YouTube told me I shouldn’t like this because reasons“ is a different matter though.

They use the phrase incorrectly which is annoying on its own.

Thor nearly killed Thanos solo and we're supposed to worry that he'll be ineffectual against Thanos in the next movie and need CM to beat him?  Ohhhhh, I see.

It doesn't look all that hard to beat Thanos if your powers come from an infinity stone. Wanda was able to hold him off and destroy a gem at the same time. There's no telling what she could have done if she had just concentrated on kicking Thanos' ass.

All this pre emptive whining about CM in A:E (given that we don't even know who will be the big bad in A:E) is just dumb.

It is kind of funny that Kevin Feige has been saying she is the strongest character in the MCU when you have Thor and the Scarlet Witch. I mean, she held off a nearly full power Thanos with one hand while utterly distracted.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: March 19, 2019, 12:31:34 PM

I've got to admit F13 movie threads irritate the fuck out of me as the monocle wearing afficionados surgically remove any fun they detect. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

By all means, if some of you guys want to reduce all conversation about movies down to "Fun", you've got some bright futures ahead of you writing review blurbs for Shaq's movies once he gets his acting career going again.

Boy you sure proved the "monocle aficionados" part wrong.

Wait.  Strike that.  Reverse it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #180 on: March 19, 2019, 12:35:29 PM

Yup, I don't get the power level conversation. She did nothing Thor couldn't have done.
People have been arguing about who can beat up who since there have been people to beat up.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: March 19, 2019, 01:35:25 PM

That's a lot of words to say that you don't understand what art criticism is about.

It's a comic book movie for God's sake. Get over yourself.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #182 on: March 19, 2019, 01:40:26 PM

I've forgotten what was said about the Kree in the first Guardians movie but it seems to me that the time between Capt. Marvel and Guardians could have seen Carol absolute decimate the Kree. There was no mention of the Nova Corps in Capt. Marvel, which leads me to believe that perhaps she had some hand in its creation, or at least that she could have. Plus, if the Kree were getting their shit kicked by her, maybe that's what turned Ronan the Accuser from his normal green armored self to the death-obsessed emo goth he was in Guardians.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #183 on: March 19, 2019, 04:19:16 PM

That's a lot of words to say that you don't understand what art criticism is about.

You say that like there's no way to judge the quality of something like Batman v Superman against something like Into the Spider-verse.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #184 on: March 19, 2019, 10:12:04 PM

Not expecting more from movies is how you get more shit movies. Comic book movies, Oscar-bait, art-house indie films. You can, and should, try to understand them.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: March 20, 2019, 10:23:00 AM

I've forgotten what was said about the Kree in the first Guardians movie but it seems to me that the time between Capt. Marvel and Guardians could have seen Carol absolute decimate the Kree. There was no mention of the Nova Corps in Capt. Marvel, which leads me to believe that perhaps she had some hand in its creation, or at least that she could have. Plus, if the Kree were getting their shit kicked by her, maybe that's what turned Ronan the Accuser from his normal green armored self to the death-obsessed emo goth he was in Guardians.

Yeah I was thinking that. The Kree remnants are clearly still around and working with Ronan and it's interesting that you've essentially got the Xandarian Worldmind and the Kree Supreme Intelligence with neither making reference to the other. My best guess would be Carol helped the Nova Corps in kicking the Kree's asses. The fact that they were happily decimating worlds in their sphere of influence that had Skrulls on them, I'm guessing, proved to be a little too much. If Carol sufficiently weakened them then I could see the Kree empire signing a peace treaty with the Nova Corps to prevent war where they agreed to hand over the militant factions (such as the Accusers) and promise to actually treat worlds within the Kree empire with rights, etc.

It was clear in GotG that the Nova Corps had imposed some kind of peace treaty on the Kree and that Ronan and his boys were on the run for something. That makes as much sense as anything else but the idea of duelling AI led civilisations is a cool concept.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #186 on: March 20, 2019, 12:22:55 PM

Ronan had become a renegade around the time of GotG due to disagreeing with the peace treaty with Xandar. Ronan's goal was basically Xandarian genocide.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: March 20, 2019, 04:00:20 PM

the idea of duelling AI led civilisations is a cool concept.

Daleks and Movellans tried it.  It was a stalemate.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: March 20, 2019, 04:54:44 PM

the idea of duelling AI led civilisations is a cool concept.

Daleks and Movellans tried it.  It was a stalemate.

It was also a classic Star Trek episode where people reported in to get vaporized because a computer decided they died in an attack. Though in that case, the humans wanted the AI running the wars so they didn't have to deal with it anymore. If memory serves Kirk "solved" the problem by blowing up both computers and forcing them to kill each other the old fashioned way.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #189 on: March 20, 2019, 10:30:26 PM

A Taste of Armageddon.  And you remember correctly.  Kirk talking computers to death or otherwise just blowing them up to solve a problem was a recurring theme.  I can remember it happening three times off the top of my head, but I know there were more.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:34:13 PM by Ruvaldt »

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: March 22, 2019, 08:07:23 PM

Late to the party but I saw this tonight. I'd put it towards the upper-mid tier of Marvel movies; it wasn't phenomenal but it was good. As a 90s kid I'm admittedly biased towards all the nostalgia.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: March 24, 2019, 05:29:55 AM

Saw it finally this weekend.

Good, not great. Enjoyed it. It felt a bit like a reversion back to the Phase I movies, though: a lot of effort going into establishing a character and premise so that something can be done with the character and premise later on.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: March 24, 2019, 10:33:15 AM

I agree with that; I assumed it was because she is one of the core members of the post-Endgame MCU so they wanted to give her a proper introduction.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: March 24, 2019, 01:57:32 PM

This is what's so interesting about MCU Spider-Man: we join him in media res, without that sense that a bunch of things have to happen in order to establish his premise in order to begin to tell good stories with him.

I kind of wish they'd done the same for Doctor Strange: bring us in to his world with him an already-functioning hero, then work the backstory in as things progress. But I get it--Spider-Man is as familiar as Batman in this sense; the others aren't.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: March 24, 2019, 02:17:13 PM

Also, he's had so many fucking origin films now, it's just stupid.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #195 on: March 24, 2019, 02:38:07 PM

Hands up, anyone who went to see Civil War or Homecoming, and was confused about how Peter got his powers, or why Tony was never introduced to Uncle Ben?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: March 24, 2019, 02:49:25 PM

Though actually, I will say that at this point, there are only three MCU super-powered people who did not get their powers from alien tech/the Infinity Stones at this point: Spider-Man, Captain America and the Hulk. Of them, two of their origins are now linked (Hulk/Captain America). Peter actually has the weirdest origin in MCU terms, even if it's comic-book ordinary--there is literally no one else unless we count Netflix Daredevil who has gotten powers from the conventional exposed-to-radioactivity-by-accident thing.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: March 24, 2019, 03:29:08 PM

This is what's so interesting about MCU Spider-Man: we join him in media res, without that sense that a bunch of things have to happen in order to establish his premise in order to begin to tell good stories with him.

I kind of wish they'd done the same for Doctor Strange: bring us in to his world with him an already-functioning hero, then work the backstory in as things progress. But I get it--Spider-Man is as familiar as Batman in this sense; the others aren't.

To be fair, there were 5 spider man movies in the 15 years or so before Spider-Man appeared in the MCU and two of them were origin stories. I think they can get away with not doing the origin in that case and were probably trying to actively avoid the feeling of yet another reboot.  Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel are not so well known.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: March 24, 2019, 03:42:54 PM

While that is all true, these are not complex stories, nobody would ever have been confused if they skipped an origin film and watched a sequel.

On the other hand, the origin MCU films are consistently better than the sequels. So there's that.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: March 24, 2019, 04:00:27 PM

Captain America: Winter Soldier is better than First Avenger.

But for Thor and Iron Man, yeah.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #200 on: March 24, 2019, 04:08:21 PM

Though actually, I will say that at this point, there are only three MCU super-powered people who did not get their powers from alien tech/the Infinity Stones at this point: Spider-Man, Captain America and the Hulk. Of them, two of their origins are now linked (Hulk/Captain America). Peter actually has the weirdest origin in MCU terms, even if it's comic-book ordinary--there is literally no one else unless we count Netflix Daredevil who has gotten powers from the conventional exposed-to-radioactivity-by-accident thing.

Dr. Strange only gets one of his powers from an Infinity Stone.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: March 24, 2019, 04:39:29 PM

Dr. Strange only gets one of his powers from an Infinity Stone.

Iron man? Ant Man? Hawkeye? Black Widow? They didn't get powers by accident - but no alien tech involved afaik.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #202 on: March 24, 2019, 05:00:12 PM

I just assumed he was talking about humans with actual super powers. There's a number of people who have non-alien tech, or are actual aliens. Black Panther is borderline as his tech and powers come from an alien metal.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: March 24, 2019, 05:30:49 PM

Captain America: Winter Soldier is better than First Avenger.

But for Thor and Iron Man, yeah.

I can't agree. Does Winter Soldier get awesome in the second half, because I watched First Avenger, and still haven't finished Winter Soldier...
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: March 24, 2019, 05:59:51 PM

Winter Soldier is one of the best MCU films.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: March 24, 2019, 07:04:59 PM

Yeah, that was good start to finish.

I am the .00000001428%
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: March 24, 2019, 09:27:25 PM

Winter Soldier is one of the best MCU films.

Odd. Wasn't working for me and generally not the view I get from the people in know IRL who like Marvel movies either. C'est la vie I guess.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #207 on: March 24, 2019, 09:43:39 PM

Everyone I know including myself consider it to be one of the best. It's certainly in the top 3 for me.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #208 on: March 24, 2019, 09:54:54 PM

Everyone I know including myself consider it to be one of the best. It's certainly in the top 3 for me.

It’s still my #1.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #209 on: March 24, 2019, 09:59:02 PM

It’s still my #1.

Guardians of the Galaxy would probably be the biggest competition for my #1 slot, but it's close enough that which one is actually my favorite would fluctuate constantly.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain Marvel  
Jump to: