Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:25:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain Marvel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Captain Marvel  (Read 52416 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #140 on: March 15, 2019, 01:28:53 PM

Yeah, that's also how he got the goofy uniform.  Captain America wasn't my favorite Marvel movie by a long shot but I loved how they handled that whole thing.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #141 on: March 15, 2019, 01:34:38 PM

Yeah, that's also how he got the goofy uniform.  Captain America wasn't my favorite Marvel movie by a long shot but I loved how they handled that whole thing.

It wasn't one of my favorites at the time either (it wasn't bad, it was just fine), but I think as Evans/Cap became one of the best things about the MCU I've started to like it a lot more.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: March 15, 2019, 01:47:57 PM

It's still the name of the goddamn movie!
Was there anyone confused by who Captain Marvel was? I mean do you think anyone left the theater going "So how come we never saw this 'Captain Marvel'?

I mean I admit, I can only assume she ended up being called Captain Marvel because she was a USAF Captain, and the origins of her particular abilities were closely tied to someone whose named sounded like "Marvel". I don't know for sure. I don't really care either, because I knew that was her superhero name before the movie started because I am not lying in a hospital with just a functioning brainstem.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: March 15, 2019, 02:59:34 PM

I'm trying to remember - does anyone ever actually say 'Captain America?'  Isn't it always just 'the Captain' or 'Cap?'

I don't think so. I almost posted that in my reply but then thought I'd just missed something. It's always Captain or Cap or Rogers to my memory.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: March 15, 2019, 03:56:54 PM

Yes, yes they do.

They have a whole musical number, school videos, a smithsonian exhibit, Phil Coulson's collectible card subplot all using the title.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: March 15, 2019, 04:39:16 PM

Perhaps she'll decide to keep her identity a secret from the Avengers and will coin the name while looking at Cap.  "You can call me ... Captain ... Mar Vell..."

"Captain Marvel? How original?"

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: March 16, 2019, 10:35:30 AM

I was thinking that one of the other Avengers would just sarcastically call her "Captain Marvel' and it would catch on. In the next movie.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: March 16, 2019, 07:58:00 PM

...My only concern is she will take away the emotional investment in Infinity War...
Why?

The whole "characters die and will return because Captain Marvell".

She's tacked on to the IW storyline, as opposed to Nebula, Black Widow, Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Rocket who are (by now) integrated into it.

I don't want Marvel to be the Mary Sue, no matter how much I enjoyed her origin story. She is 1 dimensional like Superman.

Then again, I want Banner to really be Loki in disguise and for Nebula and Gamora to defeat Thanos on two different realms.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #148 on: March 16, 2019, 08:06:14 PM

I was thinking that one of the other Avengers would just sarcastically call her "Captain Marvel' and it would catch on. In the next movie.

I liked how they did it in the Ultimate universe, so maybe they can pull it off in a funny way like this:

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: March 17, 2019, 06:30:39 AM

Yeah something like that would be great.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: March 17, 2019, 03:40:46 PM

I saw it yesterday.  Quality-wise it was just the middle of the pack for me.   

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: March 17, 2019, 04:37:29 PM

Feige basically said that Endgame is just the first time Danvers responds to the pager going off; not that this is the first time the pager was used. Which is.. not a good route to go, imo, in terms of trying to explain it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: March 17, 2019, 04:51:25 PM

That actually seems reasonable.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: March 17, 2019, 05:01:59 PM

I'd have to watch the first Avengers movie again but I right now I don't know:

1. when it was obvious Earth was facing a large scale invasion (most of the invasion force hadn't even reached Earth)

2. if there was ever a time it looked like the Avengers were losing.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: March 17, 2019, 06:44:31 PM

Feige basically said that Endgame is just the first time Danvers responds to the pager going off; not that this is the first time the pager was used. Which is.. not a good route to go, imo, in terms of trying to explain it.

I also saw somewhere that Fury had faith in the Avengers and only used it this time because things were so dire he didn't even know if the Avengers survived. I mean, honestly, they're just going to have to retcon which is pretty common in comics and stuff so I'm not too bothered.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #155 on: March 17, 2019, 07:01:03 PM

I haven't seen the movie so maybe I'm missing some context but I don't see why Fury would bother with the pager unless the Avengers failed, as it was their first test as a team and I'm sure he wanted to see if they would be able to handle it so he wouldn't have to bother her all the time.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: March 17, 2019, 09:05:49 PM

Feige did not exactly say she did not respond - just that he may have pressed the button before.  She may have shown up a few hours after the attacks on NY and Sokovia ... but been told the Avengers tok care of it.  She may have been having tea with Fury once a week for years.  We'll find out in Endgame, I imagine.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: March 18, 2019, 08:10:32 AM

I really hope not. This is the sort of obtuse continuity that will always be more fun to watch a certain type of fan get worked up about than it would be to watch them ever resolve it.

If they do resolve it, I hope they go with "I lost the charger that year".
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:12:38 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #158 on: March 18, 2019, 08:27:15 AM

I'm sorry but why exactly is it relevant if she has/hasn't used that communicator? It sounds like a minor continuity error.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: March 18, 2019, 08:29:52 AM

Ehh, I mean, it is the most glaring continuity issue.  It's probably the number one thing I've heard friends say after seeing the movie, both non-nerd and nerds.  "Wait, then where the fuck was she when earth almost got destroyed all these other times?"

They're going to have to at least throw something out there.  It shouldn't be hard to come up with an excuse though, so I'm not worried.

Edit:  Actually, she is flying at FTL speeds.  They could go full Interstellar and just say that to her she only left Earth a week ago when she gets back.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:32:27 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #160 on: March 18, 2019, 08:48:18 AM

To be fair, the only time the Earth was actually in immediate danger of being destroyed was was in Thor 2, and Fury had no clue what was going on there until afterward. Avengers: The Chittari (sp?) invasion was barely started and only fucking up one city when Tony died for our sins closed the rift. Cap 2: Killing a few thousand political unreliables in an internal ideological squabble is not an existential threat. Avengers 2: Ultron barely managed to fuck up one city in an eastern European country nobody ever heard of.

None of it compared to killing half of everyone.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: March 18, 2019, 09:01:48 AM

Most of the other movies have taken place over the span of days, we have no idea how long it would take her to get back. Fury did call her in infinity war, see how that worked out?

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #162 on: March 18, 2019, 11:28:16 AM

JFC, sometimes I'm reminded of just how critical you motherfuckers can be. It was a good, fun movie, Brie Larson handled it well and I had zero problems with it. I laughed, there were some fun fights and Goose got to eat some shit, not to mention they set up at least one new wave Marvel character that can be part of Avengers 2.0.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: March 18, 2019, 11:51:13 AM

JFC, sometimes I'm reminded of just how critical you motherfuckers can be. It was a good, fun movie, Brie Larson handled it well and I had zero problems with it. I laughed, there were some fun fights and Goose got to eat some shit, not to mention they set up at least one new wave Marvel character that can be part of Avengers 2.0.

and I haven't even mentioned how much I hated what they did to the Supreme Intelligence or the Skrulls.  why so serious?

Waiting impatiently for Monica to get her own movie.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #164 on: March 18, 2019, 01:17:35 PM

JFC, sometimes I'm reminded of just how critical you motherfuckers can be. It was a good, fun movie

I liked Captain Marvel for the most part, but I would like to point out that you've also found pretty much every comic book movie released in the last several years to be varying degrees of fun including most of the DC movies. It may just be that you have a bit of a critical blind spot when it comes to any movie with superheroes in it.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #165 on: March 18, 2019, 01:45:38 PM

It may just be that you have a bit of a critical blind spot when it comes to any movie with superheroes in it.

Seems like an unnecessarily wordy way to say "you think superheroes are fun".   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: March 18, 2019, 02:01:23 PM

I've got to admit F13 movie threads irritate the fuck out of me as the monocle wearing afficionados surgically remove any fun they detect. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #167 on: March 18, 2019, 02:10:15 PM

Yes, I do give superhero movies a lot of leeway, especially for characters I like (and I do like most of them). You could notice that I did shit all over the Venom trailer and haven't seen that movie yet mostly because I think the character is shit and any attempt to make it not shit is doomed to failure.

But yes, for the most part, I like superhero stories and will forgive them a lot. It's not my fault that Marvel formula has been successfully repeated with only slight tweaks for multiple characters. As much fun as I had with Suicide Squad, I recognize it was a really shitty movie, and I don't think I've ever been able to stomach Batman vs. Superman. Marvel's worst movies since IM1 (when the real MCU movies started) were Thor 2 and Ed Norton Hulk, and both of those were watchable but forgettable.

Carol Danvers as a character is a hardass. If you aren't going to go into the history of the character (and let's face if you can't because 1) mini skirt, 2) NOW Magazine, 3) abduction and rape by an interdimensional being that was applauded by the Avengers, 4) removal of her powers by Rogue who isn't even in the MCU yet, 5) Binary WTF? and 6) her bout with alcoholism), then the direction they took worked. Her arc was a pretty neat encapsulation of that history without the unfilmable (and thankfully forgotten) details and leaves a lot of room for sequels - considering she appears just as old in Endgame as she does in CM despite there being over 20 years between them, she's got room to have arcs where she's less assured of herself.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: March 18, 2019, 02:38:44 PM

I've got to admit F13 movie threads irritate the fuck out of me as the monocle wearing afficionados surgically remove any fun they detect. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It's irrational hate desperately clinging to ridiculous reasons, much like the Star Wars movie threads.

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #169 on: March 18, 2019, 02:59:14 PM

Except the last few SW movies have been actual garbage, just not for a lot of the nitpicky reasons that get thrown out there.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: March 18, 2019, 06:11:12 PM

Uh, hasn't everybody except maybe one person said they liked the movie in this thread?  There has been incredibly little criticism of the movie that I can see about the movie, so I'm not sure what your talking about.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:39:12 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #171 on: March 18, 2019, 07:13:01 PM

Did you miss the last page of discussion about whether or not Carol Danvers is a Mary Sue?  why so serious?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: March 18, 2019, 07:20:35 PM

Yes, but that was the aforementioned one guy who didn't like the movie saying that and everybody else disagreeing....

-Stephen Colbert
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #173 on: March 18, 2019, 08:25:44 PM

That's a lot of words to say that you don't understand what art criticism is about.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #174 on: March 18, 2019, 08:59:42 PM

Yes, but that was the aforementioned one guy who didn't like the movie saying that and everybody else disagreeing....

It’s one thing to argue why you didn’t like something. It’s another thing if you basically use the lingo of the YouTube diversity hate squad in your argument.

Mary Sue gets thrown around so often nowadays by the sort of YouTuber and shitposter who also talks about Feminazis, SJWs and liberal agendas that I get extremely wary every time terms like this get used in an argument.

„I don’t like this“ I don’t mind. „YouTube told me I shouldn’t like this because reasons“ is a different matter though.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain Marvel  
Jump to: