Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:48:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain Marvel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Captain Marvel  (Read 52423 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #70 on: March 08, 2019, 01:10:28 AM

This was a lot of fun. Theatre was full all but the front row hurt your neck seats, for a 10:35 PM non 3d showing.

It will certainly get called Marvel's version of Wonder Woman with all the girl power content, but I didn't care - it was a fun movie. Save yourself ten minutes and catch the second post credit scene online, just stay for the first one.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 08, 2019, 01:20:28 AM

Marvel version of Wonder Woman sounds like a grand recommendation as far as I am concerned.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #72 on: March 08, 2019, 02:27:44 AM

Just got back from seeing it.  IanC has the right of it.  It's a good Marvel movie though not in their most top tier.  Certainly worth a watch, and they had a lot of good comedy moments with Fury and all the 90's stuff.  It went down well even with English speaking Lao crowd.

Though, most importantly for me, I'm going to disagree with Ian on her power level.  They charged her up at the end, but nothing she did was outside of what I could see current Axe wielding Thor or even Ironman making up some bullshit about powering up his armor doing.

To be specific:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:29:52 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: March 08, 2019, 02:39:32 AM

Also, yeah, she's massively overpowered. No I haven't seen the movie, but IW gave it away.

I did ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 08, 2019, 03:49:36 AM

This was fun.  Fee good laughs along the way. Brie Larson is great. Power levels reallllly don’t matter in marvel movies if you haven’t noticed.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 08, 2019, 04:02:47 AM

They matter if in my head I want to know if Brie Larsen could beat up Daredevil.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #76 on: March 08, 2019, 04:38:19 AM

This was fun.  Fee good laughs along the way. Brie Larson is great. Power levels reallllly don’t matter in marvel movies if you haven’t noticed.
Yeah, that’s fair enough.  They were just hyping her power levels before hand, and on top of the trailers, I was worried they were going to introduce a Superman hero into the universe.  Which would be bad because Superman is a terrible hero and fucks up DC by his very existence.

But as your say, and as I pointed out in the spoiler, they never gave any real specifics on what she can do other than fly and shoot beams.  They can fuck with her power level vs any exiting heros/villains with little effort.  Nothing was actually defined like Superman (“his skin is impenetrable, can shoot lasers from his eyes, frost breath, travel faster than the flash, is weak to kryptonite, ect).  She can fly, is tough, and can shoot energy beams from her hands at vague power levels.  It’s all good.

Anyways, it was a fun movie, worth a watch.  Certainly at the upper end of the Marvel films.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #77 on: March 08, 2019, 07:26:33 AM

The amount of bile and hate that is being generated over this movie by the typical mob of entitled basement dwellers is astounding. No one has seen the movie yet because it released yesterday but for the last month all of these people somehow knew that it must be shit. Just because of shit an actor said.

This is getting really old.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 08, 2019, 08:02:55 AM

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #79 on: March 08, 2019, 01:32:55 PM

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #80 on: March 08, 2019, 01:39:45 PM

Yeah, we get it. You don't like her.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #81 on: March 08, 2019, 01:54:34 PM

Yeah we get it, she doesn't smile enough, unlike her male counterparts.

Also her Oscar award disagrees with you.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: March 08, 2019, 02:02:18 PM

I don't even care for Brie Larson myself, but what a fucking stupid thing to post.  She's won an Oscar and a Golden Globe just to name the big ones.  You know, those awards you get for your ability to show/convey emotion.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:05:25 PM by EWSpider »

most often known as Drevik
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: March 08, 2019, 02:37:41 PM

I was worried they were going to introduce a Superman hero into the universe.  Which would be bad because Superman is a terrible hero and fucks up DC by his very existence.

Horseshit. Superman is like any other hero. In the right hands, he's amazing. Cinematically Richard Donner handled him perfectly. Unsurprisingly, Zach Snyder utterly fucked him up by removing the part that grounds him the most. The issue with Superman isn't that he has all his powers. It's that if a writer forgets what makes him "human" he loses his appeal. In Superman 1 there's a great theme running through it that even Superman can't prevent every tragedy and death. "With all my powers, I still couldn't save him."

Yeah we get it, she doesn't smile enough, unlike her male counterparts.

Also her Oscar award disagrees with you.

Because of this meme I was genuinely surprised by how charming and fun she is in the movie. Don't get me wrong, I knew this was a bunch of sexist bullshit but the marketing does make her look like she is super serious at all times. I hadn't had much exposure to her except seeing her in Kong: Skull Island and I didn't really remember her much from that movie honestly. (I've only seen it once so mostly only the monster stuff stuck with me.) I, for one, can't wait to see her interact with Tony Stark in Endgame because her sarcasm should give him a run for his money.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #84 on: March 08, 2019, 02:43:15 PM

I really liked Brie Larson in Scott Pilgrim vs the World, and I don't think she ever smiled once in that one.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: March 08, 2019, 03:30:18 PM

I really liked Brie Larson in Scott Pilgrim vs the World, and I don't think she ever smiled once in that one.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

LOL I just watched that last night with my nephews. She's great in it, although I don't think I ever realized how uptight all the women are in that movie (probably because they all have some type of relationship with Scott, who's been a jerk to women and not owning up to it) In hindsight that movie has a ton of actors that had or are now playing in the comic book movie/show sandbox.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: March 08, 2019, 03:47:16 PM

lol aren't you the guy who wanted a stuntwoman or something to play the role?
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: March 08, 2019, 05:11:06 PM

She was great in this movie, and she smiles plenty.  She plays a spectrum of emotions, and is generally a badass through all of it.  Like Cap, IM, Thor, and all the rest we do see moments of vulnerability, but she nailed those.  If she is a key cog for the next decade of Marvel movies, they're lucky to have her.

On a different note: Any theories on why they needed to set this in the 90s?  While there are some fun little continuity games they were able to pla with it set in the 90s, there did not seem to be any real important benefit to it.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: March 08, 2019, 06:16:31 PM

Saw it; it was very 'meh'. A lot of wasted potential, imo, and much of that falls onto scripting and Larson. Just didn't enjoy her at all in this. Was also annoying how Mary Sue her character becomes. Not a bad movie, but the worst Marvel movie in awhile. It does set the table for some interesting stuff in the future (if done right).

I do find it hilarious how Feige considers Captain Marvel as one of the most popular Marvel characters, though, and the movie did come off as a 'this is our Wonder Woman!!', but not being as good as Wonder Woman (and I wasn't a huge fan of that movie either; albeit mostly due to the third act being absolutely trash).
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: March 08, 2019, 07:26:08 PM

On a different note: Any theories on why they needed to set this in the 90s?  While there are some fun little continuity games they were able to pla with it set in the 90s, there did not seem to be any real important benefit to it.

I can only think of a couple of reasons. One, they wanted her to have grown into her powers and not still be learning them when it comes time for her to bitch slap Thanos and two, her friend's daughter later becomes a hero in her own right and this movie might have been a bit of a stealth origin for her.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #90 on: March 08, 2019, 07:51:46 PM

I'm sure it was partly just because they thought it would be fun to do a movie set in the 90s. Also it's been suggested since Nick Fury's first post-credits scene in IM that there are other superheroes out there, but up until now that consisted of Cap back in WWII and that was about it. Thor presumably hadn't been to Earth prior to the first Thor movie, although maybe other Asgardians had popped in now and again. Maybe SHIELD knew of a previous Black Panther. Really though this establishes a bit more of the secret history of the MCU that Fury and SHIELD have been privy to.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: March 09, 2019, 06:03:24 AM

Hmm.. I wonder why „being some sort of Mary Sue character“ gets never lobbed against all of the stunningly handsome billionaire vigilante super genius men who get all the girls and single handedly design and build arc reactors, advanced AIs or bat themed transportation. While cracking wise and kicking butt using twenty different fighting techniques.

Head scratch
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: March 09, 2019, 06:06:57 AM

Also I deduct nerd points for the Wonder Woman comparison because Captain Marvel is not a Wonder Woman copy.

It’s a Superman copy.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: March 09, 2019, 10:06:43 AM

Well, I wish the MRA rebuke was a little stronger, 'cause I can't get it booked today.

why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: March 09, 2019, 11:08:09 AM

Was also annoying how Mary Sue her character becomes.

I don't think that's how Mary Sues work.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: March 09, 2019, 11:43:41 AM

[/quote]

Eh, normally, sure. But in this instance? I'd argue it is. Sure, it isn't exactly a shock in the MCU, but this was a bit much for me, personally.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #96 on: March 09, 2019, 11:51:31 AM

A "Mary Sue" (male: "Gary Stu") is a character with *unearned* (in the narrative sense) hypercompetence and charisma. They show up and can immediately do everything well, everyone likes them, and they are moral paragons who never make mistakes.

If the narrative shows them growing, making mistakes, and becoming competent, they're not a Mary Sue/Gary Stu. That's why superheroes need an origin story.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: March 09, 2019, 11:52:20 AM

Eh, normally, sure. But in this instance? I'd argue it is. Sure, it isn't exactly a shock in the MCU, but this was a bit much for me, personally.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: March 09, 2019, 12:12:30 PM

I am the .00000001428%
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: March 09, 2019, 03:52:59 PM

Movie was good. As usual/common (for Marvel) the end was a bit eh, but they didn't draw it out overlong. Would have been better if it wasn't for the MCU stuff they load in to everything these days, given it's meant to be an origin movie.

"Power level" discussions in these movies is a bit dumb. They're all basically immortal and go from "just throws a good punch" to "can destroy a world just by closing their eyes and grimacing" whenever the plot needs it.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: March 09, 2019, 06:10:04 PM

Enjoyed the movie. The crowd in the theater was very into it. I like these smaller-scale movies that focus on a few characters. The effects were 99% good. Fury's face bugged me for a minute in the beginning but then I guess my brain adjusted and it looked fine. Oddly enough the few parts in the trailer that look a little cartoony are about the only time in the movie that they look like that and it's very brief.  Also, the soundtrack is great.

Worth watching.

Credits scene:

On Brie Larson:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 07:03:39 PM by Malakili »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #101 on: March 09, 2019, 07:40:44 PM

The Stan cameo was great, especially if you noticed that he was running lines for:

Overall I thought it was good. The plot structure was kinda weird so I think it had some pacing problems, but other than that a solid MCU film.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 10, 2019, 05:02:45 AM

None of those things behind spoiler tags are a spoiler.

Consider this a service to people who haven't seen the movie yet.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: March 10, 2019, 06:24:05 AM

If there was a spoiler in there it's that Stan Lee had a cameo at all. No big deal.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: March 10, 2019, 09:03:02 AM

Was also annoying how Mary Sue her character becomes.

You must have really disliked Captain America and Thor. And Black Panther and Spiderman. And Dr Strange. OK basically all of them except maybe Iron Man.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain Marvel  
Jump to: