Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 07:23:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2018: That's Not a Sack 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2018: That's Not a Sack  (Read 61750 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #105 on: November 19, 2018, 09:46:56 AM

Watching Mack rush the passer is like watching replays of me playing Madden. Dude's sporting a 99 OVR irl (though I play Browns in franchise, Myles Garrett ftw at 99 99 96 in season 3 lol).
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #106 on: November 19, 2018, 10:43:11 AM

I hate that that happened to Alex Smith but fuck the Racial Slurs. They deserve to have Colt McCoy as their starter with Sanchize as their backup simply for being such morons about the Kirk Cousins situation.

Perfect storm to hire Kaep. Imagine that gasoline fire... wonder if he'd protest the name?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #107 on: November 19, 2018, 11:49:08 AM

I wouldn't want him anywhere near that dumpster fire of an organization, but it would be fucking HILARIOUS to see the headsplosions if he did.

But I think we should all resign ourselves to the idea that Kaep's NFL career is over.

Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: November 19, 2018, 12:15:01 PM

Or he politely declines to play for the Generals due to differences in the racial overtones of the team name and the twitterverse melts down. Of course the NFL might be able to use that to their advantage... if the blackballed player were to turn down any team's offer.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
WayAbvPar

Reply #109 on: November 19, 2018, 03:24:23 PM

What? The announcers called it live that the ball had moved. Either that on the first replay.

And the announcers are always right?

I don't have any problem with him not challenging that call. With one timeout left, there's no way I'd have challenged that myself. With two timeouts, I'd still have had to think about it. There's plenty of blame to be placed on McCarthy and his coaching staff for having to take the two timeouts in the 2nd half, but in that situation, I don't see the problem with no challenge. I've seen the replay 5 or 6 times and I'm still not sure the refs would have overturned it because the catch rules are still shitty.

My point is that by mismanaging timeouts, he doesn't have the luxury of challenging there. With 3 timeouts, he can challenge and be wrong, but still have a chance to get the ball back at the end of the game. It was a significant play, and well worth gambling the first of 3 timeouts. I think it is about 60/40 that it gets upheld. TBH I am really enjoying the new catch rules. Makes for more excitement and less tedium.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: November 20, 2018, 06:15:35 AM

How 'bout that Rams D? It's a shame that it seemed like everyone immediately jumped on the 'new NFL, high scoring offense' bandwagon, with a couple retired D commentators trying to point out that almost half of the Rams' score was defensive. Epic game, only tarnished a bit by some dumb calling on both sides in the last minutes. Chiefs' game to lose with those penalties and giving up 6 by not tossing the red flag (imo that no-call was when things got sloppy).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #111 on: November 20, 2018, 08:35:46 AM

That may have been one of the best games I've ever seen in my life. It totally lived up to my very high expectations.

As for those shitting on the defenses, fuck those haters. The defenses scored 3 fucking touchdowns and they weren't gimme TD's. KC's defense is overall not very good but their defensive line is pretty good and Chris Jones (Mississippi State alum) is a goddamn beast. There were WAY too many penalties and Sean McVey tried to Belichek himself by being too clever on that 3 and out series. Seriously, Sean, just run the fucking ball and make them use all their timeouts. That could have cost them the game but didn't. Both defensive lines are really insanely good and the Rams would normally have a better defensive backfield (KC's is really pretty bad) but they had enough injuries that I'd consider both defenses to be on equal footing for that game.

The only bad thing was that I needed Gurley to have a monster game and Hill/Woods/KC's kicker to have shitty games to win my fantasy matchup and the exact opposite happened. No idea why McVey didn't want to run Gurley most of the game.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: November 20, 2018, 09:33:25 AM

I remember telling the fiancee as the 4th Q opened about how they'd beat up the tired KC D with Gurley and run down the clock, ehh nooope. I fully expected Mahomes to step up and march it down for a gamewinner but nooope. That 4th quarter got so weird.

But yeah, she had asked me which game I was looking forward to this weekend (remembering she's a Pats fan and they're on bye). I said this one and it totally lived up to it. We can talk about the NFL declining in some places, but there have been some really stellar games this year between games like this one and the big Baker Mayfield debut.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #113 on: November 20, 2018, 10:01:42 AM

The entertainment value of the NFL has gotten a LOT better this season, especially the last few weeks. I think part of it is getting rid of some of the shitty shit coaches that have hung around for so long, as well as getting some new blood like McVey and Nagy to allow these young QB's to play more free like they did in college as opposed to trying to hammer them into the "pocket passer" role. Watching teams like KC, the Rams, New Orleans and holy shit, CHICAGO is actually entertaining.

Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: November 20, 2018, 10:30:13 AM

The entertainment value of the NFL has gotten a LOT better this season, especially the last few weeks. I think part of it is getting rid of some of the shitty shit coaches that have hung around for so long, as well as getting some new blood like McVey and Nagy to allow these young QB's to play more free like they did in college as opposed to trying to hammer them into the "pocket passer" role. Watching teams like KC, the Rams, New Orleans and holy shit, CHICAGO is actually entertaining.

More historic this season is the Browns actually look like they have some functioning pieces to get lost in the middle of the pack.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #115 on: November 20, 2018, 11:02:59 AM

Man, I got Goffed pretty hard in one of my fantasy leagues yesterday.  Great real football game, though.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: November 20, 2018, 11:21:37 AM

How 'bout that Rams D? It's a shame that it seemed like everyone immediately jumped on the 'new NFL, high scoring offense' bandwagon, with a couple retired D commentators trying to point out that almost half of the Rams' score was defensive. Epic game, only tarnished a bit by some dumb calling on both sides in the last minutes. Chiefs' game to lose with those penalties and giving up 6 by not tossing the red flag (imo that no-call was when things got sloppy).

That was the weird part of both teams massive scores. It makes it look like the defenses were ass but both defenses either scored a bunch of set their offense up to score after a turnover.  There were some hilariously bad blown coverages/people falling on their face to let some deep passes happen but it was pretty solid game on both sides of the ball otherwise.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: November 20, 2018, 01:12:33 PM

I forget which talking head made a little aside that was basically 'how dare Jeff Fisher make us believe Goff was a mediocre QB, when McVay comes along and does a good job coaching and shows Goff has some skills'. Buuuurn!

As someone who is supposed to be (geographically speaking) a Bills fan, that organization needs to be gutted from top to bottom. New ownership, coaching, everything. They've had so many elements on the field and can never make it work.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #118 on: November 20, 2018, 01:33:56 PM

I used to think Jeff Fisher was a good coach but he was not. Steve "Air" McNair came out of college touted a very skilled passing QB. He never was that under Fisher despite the duo's success. I wonder what he'd have been like with a coach who didn't make his QB's suck.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #119 on: November 20, 2018, 01:40:50 PM

I wonder what he'd have been like with a coach who didn't make his QB's suck.

Alive?

I've really enjoyed this season so far. There's been a lot of non-boring football being played, and I'm actually interested in the games instead of just putting off housework and being lazy.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #120 on: November 20, 2018, 04:15:13 PM

All this high powered offense and Seattle is stuck with Pete and his run first mentality. It works for now, but it won't work in the playoffs unless the defense gets significantly better. Slowing the game down and limiting possessions works against big offenses, but only if you can A) slow them down when they do have to ball, and B) score enough yourself to keep pace.

It was depressing watching the little bit of the game I got to catch- virtually every play was far more intricately designed and run than anything Brian Schottenheimer can muster.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #121 on: November 20, 2018, 06:04:32 PM

It's more intricate than the stuff that 90% of the OC's in the league run.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: November 24, 2018, 09:13:07 AM

A few more games like Thursday I'm going to believe Jerry actually got the better of the deal for once.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #123 on: November 24, 2018, 11:24:22 AM

Amari Cooper has a lot of talent, and for some reason, he's just not consistent with it. He was absolutely terrible in Oakland last year, and Gruden's disaster there now wasn't going to do him any favors. Even a bad Amari Cooper is better than anyone Dallas was running out there this year. He'll open up slot positions for Beasley. Dallas won't go far in the playoffs if they do make it, however. They miss Jason Witten at TE more than they miss Dez Bryant. I think they may actually win the East though, because Washington has to rely on Colt McCoy or Mark Sanchez and their offensive line is just a walking MASH unit again.

When Dallas doesn't have a first round pick next year though, I think the deal is going to hurt them long-term. The team wasn't 1 good player away from a Super Bowl, they were 1 good player from possible playoff contention. And their coach is still Jason Garrett who has almost achieved Mike McCarthy levels of safety from even less success.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #124 on: November 24, 2018, 11:41:51 AM

And their coach is still Jason Garrett who has almost achieved Mike McCarthy levels of safety from even less success.
Jerry can't find a better coach who is willing to do whatever Jerry wants him to do so they are stuck with each other.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #125 on: November 29, 2018, 06:49:35 AM

And their coach is still Jason Garrett who has almost achieved Mike McCarthy levels of safety from even less success.
Jerry can't find a better coach who is willing to do whatever Jerry wants him to do so they are stuck with each other.

We're hoping he snaps in a murder/suicide that gets us a new coach and owner in Dallas.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: November 29, 2018, 09:07:40 AM

We're hoping he snaps in a murder/suicide that gets us a new coach and owner in Dallas.

I have no idea why this is in green.

Ideally I'd want to see new people in positions from the GM on down but that's not going to happen. I think it used to be, in Jerry's mind, to prove himself right (that he's a good GM) he had to win a SB. Now it's win a SB with Garrett and Dak. I don't like that but short of 2nd amendment relief there's not much fans can do about it. So my fall back position is to get rid of OC and qb coach (honestly who the hell hires a rookie qb coach for a regressing qb, who as a player got beat out of a job by said regressing qb?).

Having said all that, I think for the first time in years we have a good defense. We'll see how good tonight (I think Brees will expose the safeties yet again but hey maybe the Saint's OL can't stand up to the DL). Since it doesn't look like the Cowboys are drafting a qb any time soon, they need to go all in and get a great TE and at least one receiver (I think Gallup will eventually develop as a solid  no. 2, but I'm wondering how Cooper would do in the slot if there were two good wideouts and a Witten or Kelce at TE).

Any chance Rodgers wants out at GB and wants to hand the ball off 30 times a game? Asking for a friend.  why so serious?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #127 on: November 29, 2018, 09:49:08 AM

Jerruh's son is the GM now, so don't expect there to be a new GM hire any time soon. Lil' Jerry may not be as much of a dick as his father but I'm guessing the ego apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Rodgers wouldn't go near Dallas.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: November 29, 2018, 08:16:22 PM

I've never said it in over 20 years. I'm not going to say it now, but I'm sure as hell thinking it.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #129 on: November 29, 2018, 08:52:06 PM

How the fuck do you lose to the goddamn COWBOYS?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: November 30, 2018, 06:28:34 AM

How the fuck do you lose to the goddamn COWBOYS?
Well, the refs certainly did their best to help the Saints. We spent most of the game bitching about the combination of shitty flags and shittier no-flags. It was so bad the talking heads were trying to smooth it over at one point talking about the experience of the officiating crew. Yeah, sometimes too much experience just means it's time to retire. The no-call in the endzone is the only TD the Saints scored. I mean, if I can see that shit at home (and often in real-time, though the big tv helps), and Mike Pereira can see it from the media booth, why the fuck can't the guys getting paid to see it, see it? Bah.

Vander Esch was fun to watch, anyway.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: November 30, 2018, 07:33:39 AM

Twitter is all about how the refs were paid off by Jerry.  why so serious?

Anyway I haven't really watched the Saints all year, but their OL looked weak af and they don't have a wr who can beat Chido Awuzie? LOL he got worked by the Seahawks (granted he was always in good position but still he's been the cb targeted all year).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #132 on: November 30, 2018, 09:22:27 PM

KC Chiefs release Kareem Hunt after video surfaces of him shoving and kicking a woman.

Spencer Ware will become KC's feature back, while I assume Hunt will sign with Washington any day now.

Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: December 01, 2018, 06:38:07 AM

KC Chiefs release Kareem Hunt after video surfaces of him shoving and kicking a woman.

Spencer Ware will become KC's feature back, while I assume Hunt will sign with Washington any day now.

This occurred in Feb and they are just now releasing him. Wonder how long they had the video.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #134 on: December 01, 2018, 10:21:51 AM

Per an article I read yesterday, the NFL tried and was unable to obtain the video.  The hotel only released it to the police.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #135 on: December 01, 2018, 11:12:12 AM

And yet, once again, TMZ was able to obtain a video the NFL couldn't (or wouldn't).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #136 on: December 01, 2018, 03:15:50 PM

Yes, apparently both the hotel AND the police had been asked by the NFL for the video and didn't get it. Yet somehow TMZ did. So either they didn't try very hard or they didn't grease the right palms.

Or, you know, just didn't give a shit.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: December 02, 2018, 04:41:27 PM

Wow I didn't know you could fire your head coach for being a shitty coach.  Ohhhhh, I see.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #138 on: December 02, 2018, 05:11:19 PM

FUCKING FINALLY. That took about 4 years too long but it's about goddamn time. You cannot lose to the fucking Cardinals at home. You just can't.

WayAbvPar

Reply #139 on: December 02, 2018, 09:19:02 PM

Only half a decade too late. Pity Rodgers is almost played out.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2018: That's Not a Sack  
Jump to: