Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:46:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer 2018 - 2019 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soccer 2018 - 2019  (Read 37870 times)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 12, 2018, 03:52:58 PM

I'm sure I've said it before but it's amazing how BAD NBC Sports website is. Highlights and scores of games your OWN network actually broadcasts? fuckinghellgetoutwiththatshit.

so fucking bad.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: August 12, 2018, 05:09:00 PM

LIVERPOOL. LIVERPOOL.

As expected, they looked really good. If not for Fabianski in goal, it might have been 6 or 7 goals. Sure, we got the benefit of a really blind ass referee missing an obvious offsides call for the 3rd goal but it's not like we were ever in any danger of giving up even a two goal lead. West Ham is going to be better than the 4-0 result would suggest - Felipe Anderson and Balbuena look like really good acquisitions onto a team that has some talent but was stuck with unimpressive managers like Moyes.

Nice to see that Arsenal may be even worse than last year if only because Emery's focus on keeping the team from giving away really dumb ass goals is going to cause their attack to suffer. Also nice to see that United under Mourinho hasn't changed their approach one fucking iota so United fans can look forward to seeing 1 out 6 dazzling performances followed by 3-4 drab but effective performances with the odd complete damb squib of an outing against a team they should beat handily. Mourinho still doesn't know how to get the best out of Sanchez and Pogba and I expect by January, if Mourinho is still there, Sanchez will be sulking his way through every appearance.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 12, 2018, 05:31:22 PM

Scouses looked good. When's the first Man City Liverpool match??

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #38 on: August 13, 2018, 07:35:08 AM

Sunday, Oct. 7 at Anfield.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 13, 2018, 07:46:38 AM

2 months! Let's hope it's the match of the season when it does arrive. Arsenal will suck, Chelsea kinda sucks, Mourinho will find ways to make Man U suck (even if they shouldn't), Spurs will do something Spursy. It SHOULD be Liverpool vs Man City for the title.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 13, 2018, 08:33:42 AM

United still boring and aimless, Liverpool could win the league.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 08:52:41 AM

United still boring and aimless, Liverpool could win the league.

Or in other words, United still have Jose Mourinho as manager and what worked at Chelsea a few years ago no longer works because the game has evolved and Mourinho resuses to. It's a news line that means the same as "water is wet" but said differently.  why so serious?

I'm honestly unsure why anyone in the football world who hasn't been in a coma for the last decade is shocked. Replacing Moyes and Van Gaal with Mourinho and then expecting the football to be attractive is just bonkers. Granted, I think Ed Woodward is a dolt and the Glazer family is more interested in loading the club with debt and making money off the merchandising of the brand than in having title-winning football (so long as the Champions League revenue comes in), so having achieved 2nd last season is a feat. The whole club is a slow motion train wreck waiting to happen and I can't wait until the Pogba/Mourinho feud gets exploded by the addition of the Sanchez/Mourinho feud, as Alexis starts making moon-eyes at Pep Guardiola again.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #42 on: October 04, 2018, 03:19:11 PM

EA and Nike probably seriously regret plastering Ronaldo’s face over everything right now.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 08, 2018, 07:55:39 AM

Top of the table is tiiiight. 

I'm amused when commentators profess amazement when the Liverpool - Man City game ended 0 - 0. Really, the two teams who've given up 6 goals total in 16 games , under a crap load of pressure manage to cancel each other out. duh. Oh and Mahrez, a guy who sucks at taking penalties and obviously didn't WANT to take the penalty is given the chance and blows it. Suck it Pep.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #44 on: October 08, 2018, 08:02:16 AM

That was a really good game. Based on how shitty the form of Mane, Firmino and especially Salah is, I'm happy enough with a 0-0 draw, especially after Van Djik gave up a really stupid penalty.

It's so clear that Salah and Firmino especially need a rest. Sturridge/Solanke and Shaqiri need to get some league starts against the cupcakes like Huddersfield.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 18, 2018, 06:41:04 AM

Bye bye Jose!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #46 on: December 19, 2018, 08:12:10 AM

That was WAY overdue and frankly should have happened shortly after his little rant during preseason when he shat on all the players who weren't there because of the World Cup and said the young guys he had to play weren't going to have a chance to play in the season anyway. His negativity just ran down that club and his inability to even muster a decent defense (something he's supposed to be good at) in the process of playing such, dire, boring, negative football with millions of pounds worth of player talent was inexcusable. As a Liverpool fan, I'd have been fine with them keeping him all year, though.  why so serious?

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 19, 2018, 01:27:28 PM

The Liverpool crowd chanting 'Dont fire Jose' after the match was golden.

That organization is fucked in the head. 

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 19, 2018, 01:49:52 PM

Write a new contract and fuck up your team during the third year so you get fired and go to a new club, rinse repeat.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #49 on: January 03, 2019, 02:57:08 PM

If you haven't seen it and you have a chance, watch today's City/Liverpool game. It's an absolutely amazing game to watch.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #50 on: March 05, 2019, 04:04:48 PM

Fuck Real Madrid. That is all.  why so serious?

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 05, 2019, 05:34:12 PM

The total wage budget for Ajax‘s 1st, 2nd and youth team is 38 Million or less than the salary of Gareth Bale.

Awesome display by Ajax today. Also fuck Sergio Ramos who deliberately missed this game to have a clean slate for the rest of the CL campaign
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 06, 2019, 01:55:53 PM

Suck. It. Real.  Madrid.

hahahahah

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 07, 2019, 01:57:53 PM

I never ever thought liverpool could come back from being down 3 goals against barcelona, another magical european evening on anfield road. That corner from alexander arnold.....

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 07, 2019, 03:46:01 PM

The kind of result that has you posting on a f13 soccer thread that no one uses and you normally forget exists.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #55 on: May 08, 2019, 08:04:35 AM

Just an absolutely fantastic game to watch unless you are a Barca fan. I was trying all day not to have the result spoiled because I was DVR'ing the match, and damn if a Facebook group of Liverpool supporters kept posting, which emailed me, which sent popup notifications through my browser. So I knew it was probably a Liverpool win but not the score or the details and I'm glad I watched it anyway. Holy fuck. Barca looked asleep most of the game, like all of their players were just waiting for Messi to come in and save them. The worst part is that it was that way in both legs. The only reason Liverpool didn't win in Barcelona was they couldn't finish and Messi was amazing. This time they finished and to do it without Salah and Firmino, with DIVOK GODDAMN ORIGI is just perfect.

Dat corner though... wake the fuck up, Barca.

Suck it Suarez, suck it Coutinho. Grass is greener playing with Messi until your former team steamrolls you over two legs.  why so serious?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #56 on: May 08, 2019, 02:40:30 PM

The fast corner kick was intentional and planned for so gg to the coaching stuff.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 09, 2019, 02:40:02 AM

Yeah, coaching staff noticed how slow Barcelona was while setting up for set pieces and so they instructed the ball boys to be as quick as possible for standards. If you watch the replay you can see that there's basically no Barca player covering for the kick and there's a lot of space between the corner and the "box" that is not defended. TAA could pretty much pass it directly to Origi who was completely free inside the box. Barca was pretty much asleep there.

The most interesting "fan-theory" I read was by a Barca supporter on reddit who claims that Barca regularly use standards to slow down the game and to time-waste and that they have instructed their own "ball-boys" to be deliberately slower and that they basically fooled themselves into thinking that every standard set piece is a slow setup. They also allegedly tend to bitch and moan more than other teams whenever a standard is awarded against them.

Also because I saw that question quite a few times: No, the player executing the corner does not have to wait for the whistle before he can take the kick. In fact a player doesn't need to wait for a whistle on any of the standards (including free kicks) unless the Ref explicitely tells them to.

That's why the opposing team usually has to cover for free kicks by deliberately standing too close to the spot (so that the distance requirement is not met). Also if there is an irregularity during a standard the ref can always stop play and order a repeat
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #58 on: May 09, 2019, 07:30:35 AM

The thing about that quick corner was that the ref was watching the corner the WHOLE time. If he'd had a problem with it being taken when and how it was, he clearly saw the whole thing from a good position and could have blown it dead if he wished. He saw no reason to and there wasn't one. It's amazing how many times I see teams just fiddle-fart around before a corner instead of being aware of the situation. It was just endemic of how lazily Barca played both games. Messi really did seem like the only one who gave a shit - maybe Suarez as well but for the most part the rest of the team just expected Messi to save them.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 10, 2019, 10:22:25 AM

I've seen u14 teams better coached than that.  But holy fuck then the Tottenham game. What a week for the EPL.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 02, 2019, 02:56:44 AM

I'm happy about the win but as a football fan this years champions league was about the way Ajax beat both Real Madrid and Juventus, Tottenham's crazy overtimes and Liverpool beating Barcelona.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #61 on: June 02, 2019, 10:32:07 AM

Yeah, that final was a damp squib, but it's exactly the type of game Liverpool would have drawn or lost in years' past. Had they not scored so early, it probably would have been a more exciting game but they basically just challenged Spurs to come get some, and Spurs couldn't do it. Clearly Kane shouldn't have started (or Firmino for that matter) because he wasn't fit enough to give Van Djik much of a challenge. That tackle Van Djik made on Son was just goddamn exquisite, and the fact that was really the only challenge he faced the whole game says a lot. Why they didn't start Moura instead of Kane I don't know.

Still, Spurs finished 4th and got to the Champions League final without buying a single player for an entire year. You have to put a lot of that down to Pocchettino - he's every bit as good a manager as Klopp or Guardiola, IMO, he just needs an owner that spends money. They are 3-4 players away from a real challenge at the title simply because of depth. They've got to find a way to protect Kane from getting the shit kicked out of him every season and having to play close to 60 games.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 03, 2019, 02:14:34 AM

Pocchettino before the final: "If I don't start Kane and we lose you guys will berate me for it and if I start Kane and we lose you guys will also berate me for it". He was under immense pressure to start Kane from the moment Kane claimed he was fit and able to play. Like Klopp a few years ago Pocchettino doesn't yet have the 'fuck you, I know what I'm doing' sort of attitude that comes from experience and a knowledge of one's own abilities as a coach.

He was also not confident enough to sub out Kane once it became apparent that he wasn't fit enough. Klopp started Firminio but he took him off about half way through when it became clear that he wasn't very effective.

Give Pocchettino a few more years of experience and he'll be on the level of the other top coaches in football.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #63 on: June 07, 2019, 04:00:16 PM

Women kicked off their World Cup today... France mauling S.K. Not shocking, especially when you have a player 6'2" against an Asian team.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #64 on: June 07, 2019, 05:57:07 PM

Women kicked off their World Cup today... France mauling S.K. Not shocking, especially when you have a player 6'2" against an Asian team.  why so serious?

The structure and reality of women's WC means that the group stage is a bunch of terrible matches that mean nothing. Wake me up when the knock outs get here.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 08, 2019, 10:35:31 AM

I watch the early matches mainly to get familiar with names since I don't follow soccer very closely.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #66 on: June 12, 2019, 12:32:28 PM

Stolen from Reddit, Women's World Cup Group stage first match results in Polandball format:

Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 12, 2019, 12:50:36 PM

Ohhh a crossover post!

So far, the best match I have watched is the one currently on, FRA-NOR

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #68 on: June 12, 2019, 01:58:58 PM

Before I say this, I do like watching the later rounds of the Women's World Cup and I don't think it's a bad spectator sport at all:

HOWEVER

I was wondering if there's a bigger waste of everyone's time in sports than the Women's World Cup Group Rounds, and I thought: No not even the first round of the NBA is this one-sided.

Also, I think if your format is designed to only eliminate 8 of the absolute worst teams out of the 24 possible teams fielded, you've designed a shitty tournament. Just don't invite those 8 teams or find 8 other body bags.

I'd much rather see them field 16 and do groups of 4 with the top 2 advancing to elimination 8s, or go full 32 and do groups before heading into 16 elimination. The middle ground is just shitty to me because we get to see up close how teams like Thailand get obliterated and don't even belong in the discussion at all.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 12, 2019, 02:08:21 PM

Before I say this, I do like watching the later rounds of the Women's World Cup and I don't think it's a bad spectator sport at all:

HOWEVER

I was wondering if there's a bigger waste of everyone's time in sports than the Women's World Cup Group Rounds, and I thought: No not even the first round of the NBA is this one-sided.

Also, I think if your format is designed to only eliminate 8 of the absolute worst teams out of the 24 possible teams fielded, you've designed a shitty tournament. Just don't invite those 8 teams or find 8 other body bags.

I'd much rather see them field 16 and do groups of 4 with the top 2 advancing to elimination 8s, or go full 32 and do groups before heading into 16 elimination. The middle ground is just shitty to me because we get to see up close how teams like Thailand get obliterated and don't even belong in the discussion at all.

I'm of the same thought about the men's NCAA basketball tournament.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer 2018 - 2019  
Jump to: