Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:15:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 98045 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #385 on: December 31, 2018, 09:38:09 AM

Diablo 3 was fun out of the box, as opposed to lots of ARPG (PoE for example, feels like utter shit when you first pick it up). It was indeed broken and needed fixing because for multiple reasons that fun lasted about a week, but the core game and gameplay was one of the best ARPGs out of the box. On the other hand, Path of Exile seems to have blossomed into a very good, rich and deep game if you stick around long enough. But at the base of the experience there was and always will be a wooden, stiff, clunky Diablo clone.

schild
Administrator

Reply #386 on: December 31, 2018, 10:18:21 AM

PoE still feels like trash. Facts. It's a better game than before and will keep getting better.

But the Chinese own it now and they're not going to redo the physics.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: December 31, 2018, 10:40:09 AM

Loot is more important than feel/physics/whatever in ARPGs, to me; by that metric, D3 was awful at launch.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: December 31, 2018, 03:22:07 PM

POE has the most delicious loot. And delicious loot that makes even better loot.

Probably the best ARPG on the market by a fair distance. Blizzard is incapable of making a game with POEs complexities.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: December 31, 2018, 03:26:26 PM

I still want a crack at that Korean ARPG.  It looks awesome.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #390 on: December 31, 2018, 05:11:53 PM

I still want a crack at that Korean ARPG.  It looks awesome.

Yeah its a real shame about Lost Ark

I'm def not hardcore ARPG demographic, which still surprises me considering D1 was the reason I got into online multiplayer gaming in the first place. But it turns out that once the game starts to get solved and the clear speed gets so fast I find the whole thing rather boring and pointless. D3 feels amazing but is completely empty of interesting gameplay for me. In fact the direction they took with rifts is like peak nuBlizz garbage fmpov. PoE has a bunch of bizzare content and jank I enjoy and when you have a good build the core gameplay while not as smooth or pretty feels fine because you are just murderwaving your wave through everything but again I just don't find the ratio of times I'm pleased with some play I made to how much time I play in PoE isn't high enough to warrant getting deeply into it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #391 on: January 01, 2019, 04:55:11 PM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: January 05, 2019, 01:27:48 PM

Sooo... uh, who knew there was an xx19 bug triggering a non-Armageddon in the future.

One of the key mechanics in Fallout 76 -- specifically, its multiplayer mode -- is the ability to launch nuclear weapons. Doing this requires that players find (and decrypt) pieces of launch codes. Once they have all the pieces, they input a code into a terminal located inside one of the game's three nuclear silos. On January 1, this entire system died. Players wanting to access the silos found the doors locked shut (and on a timer lasting 9,999 hours), while the enemy ghouls who have to be killed and looted in order to obtain pieces of the codes flat-out disappeared from the map.

Players were left wandering a wasteland of confusion. What was going on? Was this a new storyline? Did Bethesda remember that the Fallout series was supposed to be about how nuclear weapons are a bad thing? And then it turned out that no, it was a bug caused by a bad piece of programming which broke when the real-life date changed from 2018 to 2019. Bethesda was soon on the case and launched (although not from a silo) a hotfix that took care of the issue. Or at least, it took care of it for now. It's hard to say for certain, considering that it only seems to manifest itself on New Year's Day. (On the upside, if it happens again, we can just rerun this article with the dates slightly changed.)

http://www.cracked.com/article_26127_a-fallout-76-bug-accidentally-erased-all-games-nukes.html

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: February 25, 2019, 11:48:15 AM

Roadmap

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/7Lw6jVvhjzSNzuUMmKZgwn/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-our-roadmaps

We’ve just passed 100 days since the launch of Fallout 76!

There’s nothing like the start of something new - for you and for us, and having millions of you join us on this new adventure is humbling for our studio. Thank you for sticking with us as we figure this online experience out together, and we do mean “together.”

Thanks to your continuous feedback, we have been able to fix many of the top issues and have made numerous improvements to the game. We also make scores of changes under the hood that aren’t as visible. These include changes to improve performance, detect new exploits, and make the experience smoother for everyone. There’s still work to do, but we’re happy to report that game and server stability has increased over 300% since launch. We’re thrilled by how much everyone is playing, with an average time of 4 hours a day.

However, we know the game had a difficult launch, and we’ve made mistakes along the way. We share in your frustrations when we do. We’ll probably make a few more, and when we do, we will work to correct them as quickly as possible. Know that we’re fully dedicated to making this game the best it can be - and even more so, a platform for endless Fallout adventures for years to come.

To that end, we’re excited to announce some of the new free content we’ve been working on for Fallout 76 in 2019.

Thanks again for sticking with us. It’s a privilege to have such passionate and caring fans. We have big plans for 2019 and we’d love to hear your continued feedback on everything we’re doing. We hope you’ll keep sharing your thoughts with us on the forums, Reddit, in videos, and streams. Your voices push us to do better and your support has meant everything to us. We’ll do our best to earn it.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #394 on: February 26, 2019, 11:05:11 AM

Recycled from all the old MMO "our bad, we fix, no really" updates.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: February 26, 2019, 11:30:46 AM

Which is a whole lotta nothing. I mean, they should give up and add NPCs. That's I believe the only thing everyone wanted to see in that roadmap.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: March 01, 2019, 06:14:47 AM

At that point you might as well make a new game without all the baggage.

I am the .00000001428%
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: March 02, 2019, 05:37:00 PM

Retention rate has got to be dreadful, they could reboot it and go free to play to have a second launch, but that's a bit below the numbers / revenue they will want. I suspect they have a poor framework for going battle royale mode so that's not an option either. Most likely we'll see some life support patches while they cut it lose and move on to the next thing.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
schild
Administrator

Reply #398 on: March 02, 2019, 05:37:44 PM

they already moved on, amazon leaked a countdown page to that "next thing"
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: March 03, 2019, 10:22:36 AM

They should just retcon that all the Robots are all the fault of the Mechinist from Fallout 4. And then have the Silver Shroud bring in a new wave of settlers...  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #400 on: October 23, 2019, 10:54:44 AM

Private servers are here!...for a price! awesome, for real

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/3r1YDnDtyO1CtNFbJX6RBJ/fallout-76-fallout-1st-announce

$13/month or $100/year. Up to 8 players. Only one player needs the membership. And because it’s Bethesda they can’t even make it properly persistent (available 24/7) since if everybody leaves the game only the owner can start the world back up apparently.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 12:14:19 PM by Trippy »
schild
Administrator

Reply #401 on: October 23, 2019, 11:06:01 AM

Yeah. I'm considering it but damn they're idiots.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #402 on: October 23, 2019, 11:37:13 AM

$13/month or $100/year. Up to 8 players. Only one player needs the membership. And because it’s Bethesda they can’t even make it properly persistent (available 24/7) since if everybody leaves the game only the owner can start the world back up apparently.

I mean, that's game over right there. That essentially just makes private servers utterly useless. Not that they weren't already because it IS Fallout 76 which is shit but... wow.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: October 23, 2019, 11:49:29 AM

The lack of persistence seems to be a deal-breaker, yea. The monthly fee isn't very high, although neither is the 8-player cap...

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #404 on: October 23, 2019, 11:53:21 AM

Basically, it's not a persistent server so much as it is the ability to co-op with 7 other people and pay monthly for the privilege.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: October 23, 2019, 02:42:15 PM

It's a flat-share ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #406 on: October 23, 2019, 02:48:31 PM

Except only the owner can unlock the door to let people in and the door automatically locks behind the last person leaving.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: October 23, 2019, 02:50:23 PM

Private servers are here!...for a price! awesome, for real

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/3r1YDnDtyO1CtNFbJX6RBJ/fallout-76-fallout-1st-announce

Edit: typo

I guess they don't charge you if nobody is online, huh?

Ha ha. Pass on that crap.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #408 on: October 23, 2019, 05:05:58 PM

The best part of this? I can't wait for ES6 to implement the same thing only charge twice as much.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: October 23, 2019, 06:41:50 PM

Except only the owner can unlock the door to let people in and the door automatically locks behind the last person leaving.

It's worse than that. If the owner leaves the server only stays up if another player on it is also paying the $15/month. If no one is the server dies when the owner logs off. Or their game crashes. Or their internet hiccups. Or...

Well, you get the idea. Ark and Conan showed how to do them right. Bethesda showed how to do it wrong.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #410 on: October 23, 2019, 06:43:39 PM

It's worse than that. If the owner leaves the server only stays up if another player on it is also paying the $15/month. If no one is the server dies when the owner logs off. Or their game crashes. Or their internet hiccups. Or...

Well, you get the idea. Ark and Conan showed how to do them right. Bethesda showed how to do it wrong.

hol up
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #411 on: October 23, 2019, 07:38:46 PM

Oh shit they change the text on that page. It didn’t originally say there had to be at least one member on for the server to stay up.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: October 23, 2019, 07:59:00 PM

Oh shit they change the text on that page. It didn’t originally say there had to be at least one member on for the server to stay up.

Yeah and according to Juicehead (he's a Youtuber who covers a lot of Fallout stuff) if the owner leaves and it stays up because a subscriber is there it's in a sort of limbo state. No one new can join the server including the owner!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #413 on: October 23, 2019, 08:05:07 PM

this is incredible
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: October 23, 2019, 08:25:51 PM

Popcorn

best part of all this is I just bought FO:NV for $3.17 (including tax) on Steam.  Time to start downloading some mods!

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #415 on: October 23, 2019, 08:26:08 PM

Impressive, tbh.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #416 on: October 23, 2019, 08:33:12 PM

Yeah and according to Juicehead (he's a Youtuber who covers a lot of Fallout stuff) if the owner leaves and it stays up because a subscriber is there it's in a sort of limbo state. No one new can join the server including the owner!

I... how... what in the actual fuck?

Are designers on this thing required to submit to trepanation before they are allowed to work?

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: October 23, 2019, 10:48:28 PM

They are REALLY bad at this online stuff. They should quit that and concentrate on their core strengths again.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: October 24, 2019, 02:10:34 AM

Who in hell could greenlight that? Especially witfh all the bad publicity they have already gathered. It really feels like an exercise in self-boycotting. Like a science experiment to see what happens if you fuck a beloved IP to the max.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #419 on: October 24, 2019, 06:53:17 AM

This reminds me that I want to go back to Conan a little.

As for 76, this seems like something that you have to try to do rather than accidentally set up something like this. Considering how online services in general work, and games more specifically, I feel like someone wanted to configure it so that the server would intentionally spin down while the customers are paying a constant fee in order for the game runners to make more cash. Since, of course, they won't have to pay for the running servers 24/7.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76  
Jump to: