Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:42:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 98035 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: June 14, 2018, 12:27:16 PM

Hell is other people, and open servers are hell. There is no other way to stop the fucktards.

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #106 on: June 14, 2018, 01:23:13 PM

Looks like they made this new Fallout just for fucktards like me. Well, lucky me. I am happy.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: June 15, 2018, 03:22:15 AM

It gives internet tards nukes that can destroy your settlement. 

Who would do anything BUT wait for private servers ?
They are doing you a favor by nuking your settlement. Seriously. That's what the developers effectively said. (It increases rad levels which leads to better drops).

Ohhhhh, I see.

Fair enough.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: June 15, 2018, 04:08:48 AM

They are doing you a favor by nuking your settlement. Seriously. That's what the developers effectively said. (It increases rad levels which leads to better drops).

So I give it a week before we live in "Fallout: The Glowing Sea." Hell, the first place to have lethal radiation will be the Newbie Area and the green glow will spread from there.

So who'se up for justifying it by roleplaying as followers of Atom!

Hic sunt dracones.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: June 15, 2018, 08:18:50 AM

So, I mean, there's that. I'm not real interested in this one at all, but that seems to be the selling point for old farts like us.
I hear the big Rust and Ark players are drooling. So many single-player RPG sheep to slaughter.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: June 15, 2018, 12:05:31 PM

It gives internet tards nukes that can destroy your settlement. 

Who would do anything BUT wait for private servers ?

That's how it is in Conan Exiles with the God Avatars.

Sure, but the use of private servers from launch negates the problem with that.

I'm not too worried -- they will or they won't. There is an audience for all out PvP with WMDs and that's fine, I've got other games I can play in my backlog.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: June 15, 2018, 12:10:19 PM

I can assure you all this is NOT the game Rust players are waiting for. 24 players per server? It's a JOKE.

No, this might have open PvP, but it is not ever going to be a PvP centric game.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: June 15, 2018, 02:31:10 PM

I can assure you all this is NOT the game Rust players are waiting for. 24 players per server? It's a JOKE.

No, this might have open PvP, but it is not ever going to be a PvP centric game.
They thought of that. Everyone shows up on the map, so you can find them.
schild
Administrator

Reply #113 on: June 15, 2018, 02:50:06 PM

you can't assure us of anything, bethsoft has never made a game like this

and not having private servers is absolutely the most glaring billboard that says "this is going to be a fucking disaster"

not pvp centric

lol
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: June 15, 2018, 03:24:18 PM

The sheer number of people trying to force this game into something it's not is staggering. People talking about setting up "communities" and "factions" and "settlements".

You're going to log onto a random collection of strangers, plus anyone in your group. Every time the people will be different. Your "settlement" isn't. It's a damn camp, SWG style, which you need to do stuff like craft ammo, rest, recuperate, maintain/repair gear. It travels with you, like...camps in SWG, and frankly probably needs materials to deploy each time because he, need sinks, right?

People talking about shelling out for 200 dollar, collector *pre-orders* for a game that will be 180 degrees away from what they think.

There's gonna be some pissed off people when this launches, and Bethesda could have avoided it by just being up front about what the game is. There'd be pissed off people now, but not pissed off people when it launched. The first affects pre-orders, the second affects all sales.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #115 on: June 15, 2018, 04:50:44 PM

Look at the stats for Fallout Shelter. Think about how it has almost certainly booked more revenue than the rest of the Fallout franchise combined, for virtually no cost. Welcome to microtransaction hell, Wanderer.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: June 15, 2018, 07:17:25 PM

I played Fallout Shelter.  The loot boxes were not cash grabby -- at all.  Bethesda were VERY up front about the fact that that the boxes had NOTHING in them that couldn't be obtained thru game play.  They were a short cut, not a way around a cockblock, just a way to shorten a game that held my interest for only 8-10 days.

Who the hell paid money for that?

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #117 on: June 15, 2018, 08:03:02 PM

I played Fallout Shelter.  The loot boxes were not cash grabby -- at all.  Bethesda were VERY up front about the fact that that the boxes had NOTHING in them that couldn't be obtained thru game play.  They were a short cut, not a way around a cockblock, just a way to shorten a game that held my interest for only 8-10 days.

Who the hell paid money for that?
Apparently, a lot of people. 3 years on still pulling in an estimated $1/install, and a top 30 position with 40K installs a day. It's closing on 100M installs, and that's with no User Acquisition spend in years (paid installs usually monetize at far higher rates than organic).

The game they describe makes no sense as a Fallout game, unless the big piece they aren't talking about is monetization.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: June 15, 2018, 08:58:07 PM

The game they describe makes no sense as a Fallout game, unless the big piece they aren't talking about is monetization.

--Dave
Actually I'm gonna disagree -- I mean assuming this is survival PvP, underneath all the PR spin.  Post-apocalypse is a pretty good setting for survival PvP, after all.

I suspect they saw this as the cheapest way to develop a robust multiplayer engine to run the Fallout engine with. Building co-op Falllout 4.5 (ala New Vegas for 3) would require not just developing the ability to do multiplayer), but also shelling out for a big, expensive, single-player setup and a filled up world.

Survival PvP lets them cut a lot of corners on that development, letting them spend the time and effort building a solid multiplayer engine. And with Rust and DayZ and all being pretty popular back when basic design was likely being finalized.....
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: June 25, 2018, 11:36:27 AM

Apparently Bohemia (the ARMA and DAYZ people) are doing their own version of Fallout 76. 8 to 16 players (WTF?) and set in Norway in 1991 after some kind of nuclear fallout. It's called Vigor.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFvc6PqB8F0

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #120 on: June 25, 2018, 11:56:41 AM

Xbox Exclusive? Why?

Also, I didn't even realize DayZ had gone officially released mainly because I didn't care.

schild
Administrator

Reply #121 on: June 25, 2018, 05:38:18 PM

i want to play that

but i'll own a fucking limited edition japanese only switch before i own another microsoft console
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #122 on: June 25, 2018, 06:05:56 PM

The sheer number of people trying to force this game into something it's not is staggering. People talking about setting up "communities" and "factions" and "settlements".

You're going to log onto a random collection of strangers, plus anyone in your group. Every time the people will be different. Your "settlement" isn't. It's a damn camp, SWG style, which you need to do stuff like craft ammo, rest, recuperate, maintain/repair gear. It travels with you, like...camps in SWG, and frankly probably needs materials to deploy each time because he, need sinks, right?

People talking about shelling out for 200 dollar, collector *pre-orders* for a game that will be 180 degrees away from what they think.

There's gonna be some pissed off people when this launches, and Bethesda could have avoided it by just being up front about what the game is. There'd be pissed off people now, but not pissed off people when it launched. The first affects pre-orders, the second affects all sales.

I'm pretty sure they're going to talk about the game more between now and when it launches.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #123 on: June 26, 2018, 09:38:04 PM

Xbox Exclusive? Why?

Aren't all new Xbox games on Windows Store Xbox thingy too?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #124 on: June 26, 2018, 10:48:21 PM

Microsoft published games are now that way but this game is a digital-only, self-published game.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: July 02, 2018, 02:13:01 AM

Xbox Exclusive? Why?

Also, I didn't even realize DayZ had gone officially released mainly because I didn't care.

DayZ is still listed as Early Access, by the way. It hasn't released yet.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: July 02, 2018, 12:00:43 PM

What does "early Access" even mean anymore in that case? Its become a meaningless concept, just "give us money now and reduce the reasons for us to bother finishing the game."

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: July 03, 2018, 01:39:31 AM

Yes, that's exactly what it means.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #128 on: August 11, 2018, 12:55:58 PM

Lots of stuff from QuakeCon 2018 Q&A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2289&v=vdn0ZQ51nGI&has_verified=1

Summary of stuff:

https://kotaku.com/21-things-we-learned-about-fallout-76-today-1828276548

Haven't watched full video yet but some hightlights from reading other people's summaries:

* There will be private servers and mods (don't know if either or both will be available at launch)

* You can still be killed in PvP even if you don't want to engage with enemy (unless you flag as pacifist?). I.e. if you don't attack back the person attacking you they will still do minimal damage and eventually kill you.

* They are attempting a bounty system to curb griefing why so serious?

* Oh and Perks are RNG

Edit: perks

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 06:57:34 PM by Trippy »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: August 11, 2018, 01:07:50 PM

* You can ignore and block other players in a session, preventing them from interacting with you, and you can flag yourself as a pacifist if you don’t want to deal with the PVP mechanics.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: August 11, 2018, 05:00:32 PM

A bounty system to curb griefing.

Hilarious.

I can't wait to see how the griefers will use the bounty system as a griefing tool.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: August 11, 2018, 05:12:51 PM

Player is shooting monsters. Dickhead runs in front of bullets, gets flagged, kills Player. It's like a fucking 2004 era MMO all over again. I'm so glad FO4 was shit so I can avoid this one.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #132 on: August 11, 2018, 05:47:40 PM

Private server

Heard what I need to hear
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: August 11, 2018, 07:25:04 PM

And you can switch off PvP.

Good enough.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: August 11, 2018, 11:14:34 PM

Absolutely nothing in the presentation made me think this would be anything other than utter shit. Combined with not being on Steam (I am tired of companies adding more and more fucking clients) the game is a complete and utter pass for me. To be fair I am clearly not the target audience, given my general disdain for multiplayer. Shit, I don't think I've played a multiplayer game a single time since I stopped playiing MMOs (Rift being my last one years ago).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #135 on: August 11, 2018, 11:52:24 PM

Combined with not being on Steam

... the fuck?

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: August 12, 2018, 12:27:49 AM

Combined with not being on Steam

... the fuck?

The fuck indeed. On PC it'll only be available (both the beta and main game) through bethesda.net; not Steam. Bethesda says this might not be the case for all future games, but I wager they're using Fallout 76 as a test case to see how it does without being on Steam, as it would allow them to retain a much larger share of sales (Steam takes like 30%). The only problem? People use Steam for a reason; for all its flaws it is just out-right superior, especially compared to Betheda's launcher.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: August 12, 2018, 02:29:39 AM

My guess is that they want to get their grubby hands on some of that sweet micro-transaction money and their own "launcher" is better for that.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: August 12, 2018, 07:50:27 AM

It also probably makes it easier to restrict mods to "premium" content they can charge for.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: August 12, 2018, 08:36:18 AM

It is cute that they think that they're going to find a way to incentivize players to hunt griefers and otherwise maintain the peace.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Fallout 76  
Jump to: