Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:01:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel's Black Panther 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel's Black Panther  (Read 52802 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #140 on: September 14, 2020, 08:08:25 AM

At the risk of being gross I wonder if Chadwick's illness was known at Marvel. IMO odd decisions were made in Black Panther. The obvious one would be the destruction of the herbs (T'Challa and Killmonger would be the last to have BP's powers).

Feige has already stated that they knew of his illness and prepared for the worst. Shuri will assume the role of Black Panther at some point in BP2.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: September 14, 2020, 12:18:50 PM

At the risk of being gross I wonder if Chadwick's illness was known at Marvel. IMO odd decisions were made in Black Panther. The obvious one would be the destruction of the herbs (T'Challa and Killmonger would be the last to have BP's powers).

Feige has already stated that they knew of his illness and prepared for the worst. Shuri will assume the role of Black Panther at some point in BP2.
The quotes I saw say that Feige had no idea until the day of Boseman's death.  He was sent an email before Chadwick passed, but did not read it until after. 

Disney has not announced that Shuri will take on the title, although "insiders" keep reporting it.  They had no insurance to cover this situation, and there are a lot of Marketing dollars that have contingencies that need to be considered before they know the cost of any given approach.  I think Shuri will take on the title in the next movie, but it is not a lock, yet.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: September 14, 2020, 12:24:13 PM

Less obvious is the usage of the villains. IMO the three "best" BP villains are all in this movie: Killmonger, M'Baku, and Klau. Four if you count "White Wolf" (who is Bucky in the movie; in the comics it's a totally different guy). I could see them not using White Wolf in the future (he's too similar to MCU Loki in terms of character, and pretty much has a BP suit so too close to MCU Killmonger), I just didn't get them using the first three in the first movie, and making M'Baku more of an anti-hero (tbf this was a great change in hindsight). Maybe everyone knew there more than likely wouldn't be a second BP so just put everything they could into this one.
When they started writing the movie, Chadwick did not know he was ill. 

Regardless, they were looking for BP to fill a central role in team storylines as a member of the Avengers, Illuminati, etc...  BP 2 will likely be a war with Namor and Atlantis.  They have a bunch of stuff to do with the character that doesn't require them to use his immediate Rogue's Gallery, and they could easily still use M'baku, Klaw, and others given where they left off.  (Klaw would need to come back from the dead, but that happens to him a lot). 

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: September 14, 2020, 12:42:23 PM

MU Klaw is a pretty different kind of dude than MCU Klaw though.

I really think MCU plans are in as much of a holding pattern as anybody else--I don't think they have overly developed plans past the Eternals, Shang-Chi, another Spider-Man and Doctor Strange 2. I'm sure they had another BP on the drawing board but I would guess it's completely adaptable not just to Boseman's death but to the current development marketplace.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: September 14, 2020, 01:12:03 PM

MU Klaw is a pretty different kind of dude than MCU Klaw though.

I really think MCU plans are in as much of a holding pattern as anybody else--I don't think they have overly developed plans past the Eternals, Shang-Chi, another Spider-Man and Doctor Strange 2. I'm sure they had another BP on the drawing board but I would guess it's completely adaptable not just to Boseman's death but to the current development marketplace.
They have plans for Phases 4 and 5, with a preliminary outline of 6.  That would be the next decade or so of movies, and TV.  The further out, the more flexible, of course. 

As for Klaw - MCU and movie Klaw start out in roughly the same place.  I am a bit surprised they did not have him pushed into a machine to off him so as to preserve their options if they were going to kill him, but they could still do something with it.  It would not be hard to have him rescued while bleeding out and saved with the technology that turns him into living sound. 

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: September 14, 2020, 05:50:28 PM

Except for the fact that living-sound Klaw really sucks as a villain. He has zero personality, he's a one-note character, and no writer has ever really thought about what "living sound" means in either visual or character terms.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #146 on: September 14, 2020, 06:07:31 PM

Living sound.

One note.

Poetry.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: September 14, 2020, 06:12:11 PM

Seriously there is a lot you could do with the concept, but MU writers have just made him a freak who mostly just uses his sound hand like Green Lantern's ring or a blaster or something.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: September 15, 2020, 08:19:49 AM

From a character perspective, they've not done much with the Living Sound.  From a way that his abilities interact with Vibranium, there are all sorts of possibilities.  If they make him a secondary bad guy, he doesn't need to have a lot of depth. 

Regardless, whether they use Klaw again or not is the least of the concerns right now.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: September 15, 2020, 05:23:47 PM

Except for the fact that living-sound Klaw really sucks as a villain. He has zero personality, he's a one-note character, and no writer has ever really thought about what "living sound" means in either visual or character terms.

Ohhhhh, I see.  awesome, for real  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: September 15, 2020, 06:32:38 PM

I completely meant that.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: September 15, 2020, 06:33:26 PM

Cough.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel's Black Panther  
Jump to: