Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:38:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves  (Read 17757 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #70 on: January 18, 2023, 07:23:41 PM

Amazon Studios Warhammer 40K stuff split off to here:

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=26395.0
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #71 on: January 18, 2023, 07:33:15 PM

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 07:58:21 PM by Trippy »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #72 on: January 19, 2023, 11:28:01 AM

I'm honestly amazed there's anything left in this thread with all the off topic stuff split out.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #73 on: January 19, 2023, 01:28:38 PM

I'm honestly amazed there's anything left in this thread with all the off topic stuff split out.
Is this the Legend of Vox Machina thread?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #74 on: January 19, 2023, 01:54:24 PM

There was a D&D movie?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: January 19, 2023, 05:40:00 PM

The movie could be fun! If the people licensing it don't kill all the fun by being cunts!
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: January 23, 2023, 01:16:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGvv-Hhft3U

It looks like they've got the table talk of a group of players who are running riot over the DM and having a lot of fun doing it. Lots of Nat 1's.

I will go see it.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #77 on: March 11, 2023, 09:59:50 PM

There's a handful of reviews that just came out from the premiere at SXSW and surprisingly they're all pretty positive (and several of them coming from legitimate sites). Mind you, when the movie releases in 3 weeks I don't expect the reviews to be as overwhelmingly positive, but it sounds like at the very least it might not be a total trainwreck.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 12, 2023, 12:04:19 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGvv-Hhft3U

It looks like they've got the table talk of a group of players who are running riot over the DM and having a lot of fun doing it. Lots of Nat 1's.

I will go see it.

Jumanji, that's mostly what this feels like.

For good or ill.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: March 13, 2023, 01:38:04 AM

The movie came out today for where I am.

It's good.

Lags a bit at the start with a barrage of references "Baldur's Gate! Neverwinter! IceWind Dale!" and a lot of flashbacks, but it works.

Paladin's always walk in straight lines is a meme you'll see forever now.

Go see it, it's worth it.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: March 13, 2023, 11:24:14 AM

The movie came out today for where I am.

It's good.

Lags a bit at the start with a barrage of references "Baldur's Gate! Neverwinter! IceWind Dale!" and a lot of flashbacks, but it works.

Paladin's always walk in straight lines is a meme you'll see forever now.

Go see it, it's worth it.

I have to admit. I honestly thought this movie was Chris Pine's hostage crisis. "You either do Star Trek IV or a D&D movie. Your choice!" I'll be pleasantly surprised if this isn't a total train wreck. The super low bar it has to clear for me is "not as bad as that god awful movie with the Wayans brother as an annoying thief".

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: March 13, 2023, 03:37:15 PM

The only things that go under that bar are Uwe Boll movies, "The Room", "Manos the Hands of Fate" and the two (!) sequels to the Wayans bro D&D film, so yeah.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #82 on: March 31, 2023, 06:30:09 PM

I went and saw this with one of my old D&D buddies and we enjoyed it quite a bit.  I think anyone who has fond memories of D&D and/or ren faires would.  It's miles better than the previous attempts and I could easily see myself watching it again. 

That said, I wouldn't expect a normie to get a lot of out it, and I'd be surprised if it made a ton of money.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: April 01, 2023, 08:32:03 AM

We enjoyed it quite a bit and we are mostly normies.  The fantasy world feels unique, and all the different humanoids coexisting has an uplifting TNG feel. The story is pretty upbeat and the characters have heart.  Also, that dragon needs to be a plushie.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #84 on: April 02, 2023, 12:32:44 PM

I didn't realize they were doing Forgotten Realms until the movie started - was a lot of fun overall. One pretty serious nitpick:
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #85 on: April 02, 2023, 03:06:32 PM

This was fun, and I don't think you need to be a D&D fan/player to enjoy it, though there are definitely some easter eggs you'll notice if you are. It also knocked John Wick 4 out of the #1 spot so it's doing alright box office.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: April 03, 2023, 04:36:07 AM

Myself and my oldest (who both play DnD) liked it alot, as did my youngest (who does not play at all).  I think most normies will like it, and it will do fine at the box office.  Tons and tons of nods to people in the know.  All of their character backstories were very intentionally cliché as hell, and they really played it up in a few cases.  All the jokes about planning.  I thought most of the jokes landed pretty well.  I even managed to like Michelle Rodriquez, which is usually hard for me to do.

Also, it was visually quite well done, and so was the fight choreography.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: April 03, 2023, 09:11:41 AM

It was adequately mediocre, which is a vast improvement over prior attempts.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: April 03, 2023, 03:00:23 PM

I saw it on Sunday with the folks I play with, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We're certainly the target audience, even if none of us are into Forgotten Realms at all. Not sure I want to see it sequeled to hell and back, but it overall delivered. My biggest complaint is probably that the trailer spoiled the funniest moment:

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #89 on: April 03, 2023, 03:31:45 PM

Having seen that bit in the trailer, I wound up being really pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a one off gag and they actually built a whole sequence around it.

Personally, I thought the whole Jarnathan bit was the funniest thing.  Poor Jarnathan.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: April 03, 2023, 06:14:21 PM

I loved this show. Going again in the next couple days.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: April 03, 2023, 10:55:04 PM

Having seen that bit in the trailer, I wound up being really pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a one off gag and they actually built a whole sequence around it.

Personally, I thought the whole Jarnathan bit was the funniest thing.  Poor Jarnathan.

For me it was a toss-up between Jarnathan and Fat Dragon.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: April 18, 2023, 03:56:14 PM

This was just good fun start to finish.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 04:56:57 PM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: May 07, 2023, 07:39:49 PM

Watched this on streaming. It's a lot of fun. Well done.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: May 08, 2023, 06:52:42 PM

Watched it today for the spouse's birthday. I quite enjoyed it and laughed when I saw the characters from the D&D cartoon in the maze!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: May 25, 2023, 12:03:46 PM

Late to comment I saw it the week it came out. It's not Oscar material, or art or film festival award material, and it doesn't pretend to be.  It's a decent action comedy romp in a fantasy setting with intentionally obvious gaming root. It has decent enough acting, great visuals, and lots of inside jokes for anyone who's played any P&P RPGs but particularly D&D, but still fun for those who haven't.  As others said, lots of easter eggs, cliched archetypes, plots, sub-plots and scenes with some fun twists straight out of your typical non-serious tabletop campaign.  It was worth my money, and I wouldn't mind seeing it again when I can stream it with one of my services.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: May 26, 2023, 09:49:45 PM

My mother told me today that she wants to see the D&D movie. She's not a fantasy or sci-fi fan or a gamer of any kind. She said it looks "fun". Also said "isn't it based on one of those games you play?"

Mind officially blown.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: May 26, 2023, 09:57:07 PM

Watched this a week ago. This was fun. It entertained. I don't D&D, but I didn't need to. I wish more films like this were released.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #98 on: May 27, 2023, 08:57:08 AM

Wonderful example of a fun film based on an existing IP that throws in an appropriate amount of easter eggs for the superfans while being totally accessible to everyone else.  Hope someone learns a good lesson from this one.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #99 on: May 27, 2023, 10:13:16 AM

Avoided this at first, but you lot made me curious enough. Fun movie and enjoyed the easter eggs. Wife was a little lost and had to explain a few references, but overall she liked it.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #100 on: May 29, 2023, 08:34:52 PM

I shall pen that wench a sonnet....

Just a particularly tortured bit of meta that tickled me.

--Dave
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 08:52:28 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #101 on: June 16, 2023, 09:14:47 PM

Wife loved it.

She's never played a minute of D&D.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves  
Jump to: