Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves  (Read 17373 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 28, 2022, 12:37:59 AM

Looks about on level with most marvel movies, I guess.

Looks like goofy fun on the level of Guardians 2 or Thor 4 is about best case scenario, really expensive crap - like the rest of the marvel movies - the more likely outcome.

FTFY
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 30, 2022, 10:43:01 AM

Sort of made me feel like "somebody watched Vox Machina and thought oh hey we can make a live-action thing like that and make something of this intellectual property".
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #37 on: July 30, 2022, 12:54:05 PM

I thought it looked fun. The bar on D&D movies is set pretty darn low, so if I get a dragon or two and a chuckle I'm fine.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #38 on: July 30, 2022, 02:21:21 PM

The creative duo behind this wrote and directed the Vacation reboot, and Game Night. They're also the screenwriters on Spider-man: Homecoming. My expectations are set accordingly.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #39 on: August 01, 2022, 06:21:29 AM

I'm surprised this somehow happened without Joe Mangianello or other notable celebrity D&D fans.  Not even a Stephen Colbert cameo?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #40 on: August 01, 2022, 09:29:33 AM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #41 on: August 01, 2022, 09:47:16 AM

My money is on Vin Diesel as an orc.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #42 on: August 01, 2022, 10:41:22 AM

No love for Matthew Lillard in that article?  Shame.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 01, 2022, 05:13:05 PM

Matthew Lillard is who I thought of immediately after Joe Manganiello. Didn't realize Colbert was into D&D.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 02, 2022, 11:24:10 PM

Matthew Lillard is who I thought of immediately after Joe Manganiello. Didn't realize Colbert was into D&D.

Colbert was into it a lot back in the very early days.  He has since done a charitable event or two with some of the Critical Role people.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #45 on: August 03, 2022, 04:58:25 PM

If Henry Cavill can be a huge WH40K nerd that basically willed The Witcher TV series into existence with sheer fanboi enthusiasm, I don't think there should be a lot of surprise that Stephen Colbert is a huge geek that loves fantasy. He flew to New Zealand on pure speculation to be an extra for the LotR movies. Dude's hard-core.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 04, 2022, 06:06:47 AM

If Henry Cavill can be a huge WH40K nerd that basically willed The Witcher TV series into existence with sheer fanboi enthusiasm, I don't think there should be a lot of surprise that Stephen Colbert is a huge geek that loves fantasy. He flew to New Zealand on pure speculation to be an extra for the LotR movies. Dude's hard-core.

--Dave

One of my favorite moments ever on Colbert was when James Franco(I think) challenged him with a LOTR trivia question. I think the question was something like "name 2 of the Valar." Colbert went off on a rant where he named them all and what their role was. It was epic. I found a page that has a caption of it and a few of his other Tolkien bits.

https://mediachomp.com/never-challenge-stephen-colbert-to-a-tolkien-showdown/

As for fan cameos:

I think it should be Joe Magnellio or Matthew Lillard. Though I think it'd be amazing if they got one or more Critical Role people to pop in briefly. Vin Diesel could be fun as well. Hell, make it all of them and make them another adventuring party the heroes come across.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #47 on: December 08, 2022, 02:41:29 PM

Just stumbled on a promo for this movie and wondered why after years of successful "serious" fantasy starting with the LotR movies, through years of Game of Thrones, and now everybody wanting to mimic it... somebody thinks I want the old trash Hollywood fantasy movie back. I don't.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #48 on: December 12, 2022, 08:24:57 AM

somebody thinks I want the old trash Hollywood fantasy movie back. I don't.

I do.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #49 on: December 12, 2022, 09:08:49 AM

after years of successful "serious" fantasy starting with the LotR movies, through years of Game of Thrones

Lest we forget: those ended up sucking.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 12, 2022, 09:11:41 AM

I thought Game of Thrones ended with season six, and no more seasons were made.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 12, 2022, 10:42:31 AM

I like the point that lots of folks have been making lately that D&D sessions are often more like Monty Python than they are like Tolkien--wacky creative uses of spells, etc.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 12, 2022, 06:07:33 PM

Absolutely. A true to form D&D movie is going to be at least equal parts silly and serious.

schild
Administrator

Reply #53 on: December 12, 2022, 08:55:34 PM

the only thing that ever got it right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBqCSseQXsI
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: December 12, 2022, 08:56:12 PM

if we're still around by 2021, d&d is the least important thing I'm doing that year

holy shit

rpgs were super important in 2020/2021 and i got back into them lol
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #55 on: December 13, 2022, 06:33:34 AM

I hadn't played D&D since middle school until early 2021 and I'm now in a nearly two-year campaign.  Thanks, COVID!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 13, 2022, 10:12:49 AM

I started playing DnD during and because of the pandemic.  I now run three games.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 13, 2022, 01:45:20 PM

I think this kind of got it right also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zng5kRle4FA
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #58 on: December 13, 2022, 02:06:02 PM

Did I already mention the shot-on-VHS classic The Gamers?

schild
Administrator

Reply #59 on: December 13, 2022, 08:58:00 PM

Did I already mention the shot-on-VHS classic The Gamers?
have we done something wrong
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 13, 2022, 10:23:59 PM

Yeah, if you're going down that road, Zero Charisma is where it's at.

tldr: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgbLhDUqAXM

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 13, 2022, 11:03:39 PM

According to the trailer Zero Charisma looks like a documentary about a certain type of player/DM one was saddled with more than once. The Gamers players at least look like a crowd you want to hang around with  awesome, for real
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #62 on: December 14, 2022, 08:59:52 AM

I don't think any other D&D-inspired movie has made as bold of an attempt to show what goes on inside an actual D&D game (like, without resorting to ridiculous caricature and just letting the inherent humor work on its own) as "The Gamers" does, which is why I bring it up.  If Honor Among Thieves even quarter-asses it, it'll be a significantly better movie than any of the previous outings.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 14, 2022, 07:02:46 PM

You're all amateurs. I started playing D&D in 1978 and have kept on with the same group ever since. Not as frequently, but we still get together 3 or 4 times a year.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #64 on: December 14, 2022, 07:54:44 PM

You're all amateurs. I started playing D&D in 1978 and have kept on with the same group ever since. Not as frequently, but we still get together 3 or 4 times a year.

I have so many questions.  Are you still on the original edition?  Original characters?  Or have you rebooted a few times over the years?

I ran a 2E campaign in high school where we met multiple times per week, and very sporadically during college I kept running the same campaign with the same players and their old characters converted to 3E.  By the time we wrapped up for real everybody was just about at the level cap, and it felt to me like the game system was basically broken well before that point.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #65 on: December 15, 2022, 06:35:12 AM

So you're saying you'd be willing to DM a weekly game for us?
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 15, 2022, 08:33:39 AM

Yeah, we're still playing AD&D mainly with rules from the original books. Over all this time we've added a bunch of house rules to take off a lot of the sharp edges that Gary Gygax wanted. We don't have poisons where "even the tiniest sip" will cause you to die for example. The game started at the University of Waterloo in 1978 and we moved between there and Ottawa where most of us had our co-op jobs. After graduation, most of us got jobs in Ottawa and the game continued. We picked up new recruits from among our coworkers and that's remained stable ever since. So we're basically the same group as we were in 1982.

We played once a week at school and for the first few years in Ottawa as well. Since then people have moved around and a lot of us left Ottawa but we still get together 3 or 4 times a year to have a good long weekend session. With Covid, we're playing via Zoom and that's really working well.

At this point, we're all hitting the top levels. My mage has 18th and all the power that comes with it. Our DM has ruled that the Gods do not approve of the casual use of wishes and are happy to make that clear to anyone who should cast one except under the worst of circumstances.

We're running what I believe our DM considers to be his last campaign. It's been going on a few years now and it's finally bringing in elements that were mentioned in our early low-level days.

I don't think it would have gone this long except our DM is still obsessed with the game and is willing to put in countless hours. He hit the company stock jackpot and retired at 50 so he's had all the time in the world to keep building it up for us.

I did run a campaign for a few years and we alternated between me and our DM for a while but I shut it down about 30 years ago when I got a new job in Toronto. I've gone back and looked at it with thoughts of starting up again but I can't make heads or tails out of my own notes anymore.

We never did upgrade our D&D rules. Most of us learned them from playing D&D computer games like Baldur's Gate but our DM never played pc games and he never did learn the new rules. One good thing about that is that high-level wizards still rule the world. Once a mage hits level 9 and gets 5th-level spells he becomes an unstoppable DPS monster that can kill almost anything as long as it can't hit him back.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 15, 2022, 03:49:25 PM

I've been DMing the same world in 3.5E since 2006 or so, but that's probably been 10-20 different campaigns. I have one player who's been here off and on the whole time, and have had the same exact group for the past six years or so.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 15, 2022, 06:12:09 PM

Actually, we all have lower-level characters that we play as a second group 50% of the time. We're more invested in our big guys but our DM sweats blood making content for us so we give him a break by playing our lowbies half the time. They're all set in the same campaign but the two groups don't ever intersect because of the level/age/wealth differences.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #69 on: January 13, 2023, 07:02:38 AM

Not to digress further but I want an Erol Otus art book so badly. I've even messaged his agent and several art book editors trying to get them to do something.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves  
Jump to: