Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:48:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Snow in the South 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Snow in the South  (Read 20645 times)
Brolan
Terracotta Army

on: December 08, 2017, 06:06:14 AM

It might be fun for the kids but it can be carnage on the roads.  Even a snow state like Minnesota can have problems and we are geared up for and used to the snow.  How is everyone affected doing?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 06:10:08 AM

WTF? I am in Telluride Colorado right now and the only snow they have seen this year is man made.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 06:20:49 AM

Snow is being reported from Mexico through Texas and Louisiana and the rest of the South.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 06:26:20 AM

Austin and San Antonio got snow, not sure about Houston yet.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 07:43:31 AM

This is normal. This is all perfectly normal. Nothing to see here. Move along.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 07:43:35 AM

What is this marvelous thing?

That was my street this morning. Crazy great 2-3 inches of snow. Somehow, the entire city hasn't shut down like I expected.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 07:48:32 AM

Ironically, this is my first winter in 5 years where I have not been subjected to snow and sub zero temperatures.  Huzzah!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 08:07:43 AM

Less than 48 hours since we had -20, had bunch of snow yesterday and today, tomorrow some of it will melt and its back to icy hell we had 10 days ago. Fuck winter.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 09:02:45 AM

I'm heading to Koh Samui Island in 1.5 weeks to hang out for a few days.  Remind me to post a smug picture from there.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 12:34:25 PM

Weather advisory came out at 4am Eastern.  Some saw it and reacted, like my son's school that called me at 5:30 to tell me classes were canceled.  Then there were the public schools....

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 01:12:37 PM

Been 40F all day today with rain.  Supposed to get below freezing tonight, so maybe we'll have snow for the first time in 30+ years.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 01:14:51 PM

Meanwhile, here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.. we're struggling to drop below freezing and all our snow and ice has been melting away for a couple weeks, and will continue to do so for awhile. As someone who likes cold weather this winter has been incredibly annoying; very rarely has it even been cold enough to need a light winter jacket beyond the first couple weeks we got snow.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 04:20:49 PM

Whatever hit you guys is hitting the northeast tonight/tomorrow. Forecasts are between 1"-3" and 4"-8" so who knows.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 01:06:07 PM

I live in Indiana. We get snow and ice every year but about everyone here acts like they've never driven in it before and everyone crashes all over.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 08:34:00 PM

Well this is lovely. I've been without power for a day.

Tomorrow, we eat the dogs.

(Or they eat us.)
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 05:47:30 AM

Well this is lovely. I've been without power for a day.

Tomorrow, we eat the dogs.

(Or they eat us.)
I always keep enough cat food, people food water, and butane for the portable stove around for a week without power in the winter. Propane for emergency heat would become more of an issue after a couple days but that's unlikely here. Even outside Atlanta back in the terrible storm of I think winter '95 they had power back up after a couple days (from a couple inches of snow)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 11:31:11 AM

You Americans took all of our snow.  Make Canada White Again!  Err...umm...
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 11:34:51 AM

We're actually okay. I start the winter with a year's supply of propane, and our shelves are always stocked with plenty of food.

It's just the power out that's an annoyance, and that wouldn't be so bad if I weren't too cheap to buy another generator.

This was a weird storm though, even by West Georgia standards. I may write more about it tonight, but right now that power's back on I gotta catch up with my afternoon video game playtime...
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 07:18:24 AM

I'd be good for a couple months without power, though I'd have to stock up on water and food after a couple weeks. Wood stove is magical, heat and cooking.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 09:25:17 AM

8 inches up in MA on Sunday. I promptly blew a tire driving to work Monday morning. 17 years living here and I never get a flat tire in the summer. Fuck you winter.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 01:59:39 PM

I get a lot of flak from my coworkers in MA regarding winter weather.  I got at least 11" measurable with a ruler, lost power for +60 hours (will see if I have power tonight) and I still get smug remarks.  What's up with that state?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 08:43:11 PM

Same as the rest of the northeast, snow is not a big deal until you talk multiple feet in a single storm. They're calling for 15" tonight, just means I need to break out the snowblower tomorrow. Not a big deal.

In the city it's rare to lose power for more than a couple hours, but when I lived in the country it was normal to lose power for three days from snow or wind.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 06:28:35 AM

I get a lot of flak from my coworkers in MA regarding winter weather.  I got at least 11" measurable with a ruler, lost power for +60 hours (will see if I have power tonight) and I still get smug remarks.  What's up with that state?

Don't get Schild started.  awesome, for real

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 08:17:03 AM

Anyone here have a residential backup generator?  Starting research on those.  The gasoline-powered ones are trash and I'm done with them.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 09:59:54 AM

I've been looking at them too, but I decided that a simple gas one would work to run our boiler to heat the house - the piped to the natural gas line ones are pretty spiffy though (not that I have room for one in my yard..).

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 11:48:59 AM

I'm dealing with people who want to do relatively-normal things during an outage, but more practically I want to keep the refrigerators and freezer running.  I plugged the internet gateway into a small inverter in my car and that kept them quiet for a good while, but now I have two refrigerators to clean out.

I poked at my electric bill and a peak was ~212 kWh one day in December.  This divides out to almost 9 kW and so I'm looking at a 10 Kw standby.  Naturally I don't plan to run both HVAC units during an outage, so there should be some headroom.

The three main players seem to be Generac, Kohler, and Cummins.  The Cummins prices seem pretty high.  Kohler is a bit higher priced than Generac and overall they seem to be pretty close by comparison.  I'll have to decide if I want to buy a lower-priced Generac and hope that I don't later wish I had gotten a Kohler, or get a Kohler and forget about the money.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 12:49:22 PM

I've always just put the stuff in a cooler in the garage when the power goes out. Add ice/snow if needed.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 12:55:23 PM

For an occasional residential emergency NG/propane fueled power supply, Generac should be fine. Kohler is also decent, although I believe Generac's are easier to install and service (either yourself, or finding someone who can handle them). Cummins is really selling the low end of their remote power solutions as residential backups, they'll be reliable as hell if you are needing a solution for several weeks to a few months, but overkill for most residential needs.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 01:15:16 PM

I've looked into generators a few times but never pulled the trigger.  There were quite a few costs I was not expecting.   Like some generators have built in transfer switches and some don't so you may need to have one installed.  Also there are different kinds of switches, some give you more control than others and cost more.  You might also need a sub-panel installed.  Depending on where you live, you may need a cold weather installation and/or have a concrete pad to put it on.

I keep thinking about getting one though.  I have the perfect place on the side of the house for one and it would be really nice.  Pricey, but nice.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 01:18:16 PM

212 kWh a day? Are you growing weed or something? Average Georgia home electricity consumption is about 38 kWh a day according to the chart on this page:

http://insideenergy.org/2014/05/22/using-energy-how-much-electricity-do-you-use-each-month/
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 01:33:30 PM

I'm not your average bear.  Also that was a peak, the average over the month will be much less.  Presumably someone jacked up the thermostat and the emergency heat came on.  If I plan for this amount then I should be fine.  The Generac 7.5kW is $1949 while the 11kW is $3109, so why not drop another $1160?  I'd just spend that money on Destiny 2 DLC or something equally dumb.

Added costs beyond the installation labor include adding a new LP tank.  I have a 120 gallon one that would probably last at least 36 hours assuming the generator wasn't running at full load all the time, but for added no-shits-given I'd like to get something larger.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 12, 2017, 03:29:13 PM

Sounds like a big project. I just wanna pipe natural gas (that never seems disrupted) to a generator that can power my boiler to kick on and flick through zones - like Sky, its usually freezing outside when the power goes so the garage is a good place for perishable food. But the house gets damn cold too.

I did look at a system that uses the ground to store heat/cold for a 4 season greenhouse that only uses fans to move air around: https://www.ceresgs.com/climate-control/gaht/

- Viin
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #32 on: December 12, 2017, 05:10:49 PM

I'm not your average bear.  Also that was a peak, the average over the month will be much less.  Presumably someone jacked up the thermostat and the emergency heat came on.  If I plan for this amount then I should be fine.  The Generac 7.5kW is $1949 while the 11kW is $3109, so why not drop another $1160?  I'd just spend that money on Destiny 2 DLC or something equally dumb.

Added costs beyond the installation labor include adding a new LP tank.  I have a 120 gallon one that would probably last at least 36 hours assuming the generator wasn't running at full load all the time, but for added no-shits-given I'd like to get something larger.
The Generac's under 9K are mostly the same as their RV generators, and not nearly as reliable. They don't, for example, come standard with the controls to auto-start once a month (to maintain the stator magnets). Yeah, spend the extra $1160.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 13, 2017, 03:24:02 PM

This storm was weird. We really haven't even had a hard freeze yet this year, and the daytime temperature was still well above freezing while the snow was driving down. Thus our dirt road became a slushy long mudhole, and trees were falling all over from the combination of ice buildup on the branches and saturated wet soil not holding on to the roots. Putting frozen food outside to protect it was not a great option in this storm since the daytime temps stayed in the forties (I still did it for the refrigerator freezer -- my upright stayed closed and cold.)

We were lucky here, with our power back on in 26 hours.

I look at built in generators every time this happens, but I still just don't like the economics of it. We really only have an extended outage every four or five years, and I'm just not sure it's worth it. A portable model is tempting, and I think I'm going to get one just to hook up to water and essentials, with the added benefit that I can throw it in the back of the truck and take it places away from the house where I might need power.

Wish solar was a better option here, but unless I want to put panels in the front yard we just don't have good sun exposure at the house. All those darn nice shady trees...
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 13, 2017, 03:54:12 PM

The thing with the portables is that you need to be able to either plug whatever you're powering directly into the generator, or have a switch and subpanel installed so you don't backfeed the utility lines--if you kill the linemen working on the poles, you'll never get your utility power back  why so serious?  Or yourself-if that generator doesn't automatically cut off from your electrical system when the utility power comes back on, it will explode when IT's backfed.

For permanent installations, also consider if you need only 110 or whether you need 220, and whether the equipment you're powering has any large surge draw, such as starting a locked rotor on a heating/cooling system.  The system won't need to deliver that peak draw all the time but it needs to handle it when it's demanded.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Snow in the South  
Jump to: