Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:12:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Snow in the South 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Snow in the South  (Read 20878 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #70 on: January 15, 2018, 08:51:18 AM

Southern building seems to be in the stone age sometimes...

Agree, and I'm dealing with an existing structure.  Doing some smart things now will be very expensive.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: January 15, 2018, 09:32:42 AM

Southern building seems to be in the stone age sometimes...  Just adding Northern style cellars (where the water line allows it) and insulation would do wonders for the ease of cooling, though it is really expensive up front.  Also shit like properly venting their attic/crawl spaces and maintaining vented area between roofs and living areas.  In the North, you have to do it otherwise you have issues with ice dams and melt running where it shouldn't.  In the South, seems like you guys like to have a great big asphalt thermal absorber pumping heat into your house. 

To be fair, traditional southern building certainly does include cellars (we call them basements) and vented attics. But I do agree that the current cheapass methods of construction don't.

*Shrug*

Don't know if shitty construction is particularly a southern thing now, but I do know if you are in the south and you want something built, either go with a trusted old timer or watch them like a hawk (or both). Might as well do it yourself, considering the time you need to spend on-site making sure things are going in to spec.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #72 on: January 15, 2018, 09:36:06 AM

At least in Mississippi adherence to the already lax-as-fuck building codes has always been spotty to say the least. Lazy as fuck would be more accurate.

The South in general is just one big natural disaster away from total devastation. Some areas come pre-devastated.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Snow in the South  
Jump to: