Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:54:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: FIFA World Cup - Russia 2018 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FIFA World Cup - Russia 2018  (Read 65766 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 17, 2018, 12:13:23 PM

Good match from Mexico.  They are a fun team to watch.

Except when their fans chant homophobic slurs.  Apparently, it's something a lot of Latin American fans do and other countries have been fined by FIFA for it.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6554140/flamboyant-mexico-putin-world-cup-matches/
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 17, 2018, 12:23:38 PM

Wow, the Sun clutching its pearls about the fans of countries that are not England. Forsooth, pass yonder the smelling salts, for a I do suffer a case of the vapours.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 17, 2018, 12:30:05 PM

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 17, 2018, 01:43:57 PM

I feel like VAR is going to make the embellishment in the box even worse.

France Germany and Brazil all look underwhelming so far.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #39 on: June 17, 2018, 03:30:17 PM

SHUSH YOU!

I'm not hitting a panic button after 1 game.... unless I am Germany   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #40 on: June 17, 2018, 06:02:07 PM

What the shit Germany. Really.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 17, 2018, 07:03:39 PM

Wasn't like Mexico got lucky, they outplayed Germany all fricken match.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #42 on: June 17, 2018, 08:57:33 PM

It wasn't an elimination game, though...

headache

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #43 on: June 17, 2018, 09:36:59 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #44 on: June 18, 2018, 08:35:06 AM

The first half was a complete trainwreck by Germany. Midfield was absolute desolate

I kept wondering who the fuck was playing right back because he was just NEVER there on defense, which is why they kept getting skinned on the counter so much. Both Hummels and Boateng clearly needed a little help and neither fullback ever really did that because they were constantly pushed forward. I was wondering if somehow Alberto Moreno had become German and I just didn't hear about it. But on the whole, Germany's team just never seemed all that connected. Service to Werner was terrible.

Ronaldo is a great player, one of the greatest, but his clear ego, his persistent diving and just his overall douchieness makes him an unlikable fuck. At least Messi has the good sense to let other people sing his greatness.

Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 18, 2018, 09:11:53 AM

Matches being on early in the morning and gated by fox sports around here is really putting a damper on my viewing.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #46 on: June 18, 2018, 08:37:19 PM

So far Brasil and Spain are the clear favorites. Belgium can't be judged for a win over Panama, just as its hard to be sure how to judge Argentina for failing to  beat Iceland until both play another game.

For the rest of this week if I didn't have to work:
I'm interested to see both group H games.
If Portugal can handle Morroco decisively or if they barely get by or even worse trip on their dicks.
Denmark vs Aus could be a fun watch and if it isn't its probably because Denmark is good.
France vs Peru I think is just what France needs unless Deschamps pussies out of the type of lineup he used game one in which case I hope France loses and gets it over with. Tired of them wasting so much talent. I'm interested to see if Peru and/or Denmark are better than I think or if France demolishes them.
God I hope Croatia can pull some magic vs Argentina.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #47 on: June 18, 2018, 10:10:08 PM

I'm not convinced by Spain or Brazil - both have seemed rather disconnected as a team. But then again, first games are often deceptive. That England needed 2 set piece goals to beat Tunisia... oof.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 19, 2018, 05:41:50 AM

Well done Colombia, interesting game this.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 19, 2018, 05:53:32 PM

Fuck off Russia.
WayAbvPar

Reply #50 on: June 20, 2018, 01:18:52 AM

All they need to do is hand out a single card for embellishment and that shit will stop instantly.  Especially if they can call it from the video review.

Also- Belgium scores pretty goals. The ball to Lukaku on the 2nd goal was fucking ridiculous video game shit. Wow.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 20, 2018, 05:45:19 AM

Hic sunt dracones.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 20, 2018, 07:27:40 AM

In talking with a soccer mad friend the use of VAR in several leagues this year has led to a reduction in the amount of diving. Hate when people bring actual facts to an argument (AUSTRALIA WAS ROBBED GODAMNIT)

From a recent NYT article.

There is already some evidence. Major League Soccer in the United States and Germany’s Bundesliga have been among the early adopters, and each week they work out a few more kinks. Italy’s Serie A used V.A.R. last season for the first time. According to the league, which compared data with the previous season, referee errors dropped from 5.78 percent of decisions to less than 1 percent. Expulsions were down 7.1 percent. And on a particularly encouraging note, simulation, also known as diving, was down 35.3 percent.

Meanwhile, the amount of time when the ball was actually in play during a 90-minute game increased by an average of 43 seconds to just over 51 minutes. Fewer arguments over decisions mean fewer long discussions.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #53 on: June 20, 2018, 08:51:00 AM

I'm all for VAR. I actually think in the places it's been used, it's helped the game and unlike NFL's replays, it hasn't slowed down the progress of the game too much. The World Cup games I've watched where it's been used, there has been very little lag time to check before getting the game moving again. And yeah, if it cuts down on diving, even better. There will still be boneheaded decisions but more correct calls is better.

One thing I've noticed in the games I've watched, though, has been a fuckload of fouling on creative players. The Brazil/Switzerland game in particular was just chock full of Neymar getting the shit beat out of him with the refs refusing to give out yellow cards.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #54 on: June 20, 2018, 11:47:04 AM

Yeah, that needs to stop. Except when it’s Pepe. He can get fucked.
WayAbvPar

Reply #55 on: June 20, 2018, 12:03:18 PM

Fuck Neymar. When he is not being actually fouled he is diving like an Olympic gold medalist into the deep end. Crying wolf eventually has consequences.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #56 on: June 20, 2018, 01:00:41 PM

Yeah, I'm fine with fuck Neymar and all that but at some point I'd like SOME creative player to be able to dribble the ball without getting gang tackled by Sergio Ramos (who can get fucked with Pepe) and his 3 Amigos.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #57 on: June 20, 2018, 02:15:26 PM

Look up the Milad Mohammadi throw-in for some lols.
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 20, 2018, 02:32:00 PM

Look up the Milad Mohammadi throw-in for some lols.

Mildly cringeworthy. They did better than I thought against Spain... 2 near misses and 1 properly disallowed goal - even after turtling up the first half.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #59 on: June 21, 2018, 12:53:14 PM

Argentina  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 21, 2018, 04:22:43 PM

Croatia are impressive though, definite contenders.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 21, 2018, 05:18:49 PM

I waited 36 years to watch my country not manage to score one goal in two games.

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 21, 2018, 06:17:25 PM

The announcers are kinda infuriating. Glad to see this is universal across sports.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 22, 2018, 06:48:07 AM

You know I'm going to the realization that this WC fucking blows. The lack of scoring, teams packing it in, the 1-1, 1-0 victories. The football is shit.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #64 on: June 22, 2018, 07:10:00 AM

It’s being held in Russia.  Everything that country tocuches turns into grade A shit.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 22, 2018, 08:11:29 AM

Watching this Iceland/Nigeria match and noticed every one on the Iceland side has a last name ending in 'son save the backup keeper.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/team/43951/

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #66 on: June 22, 2018, 04:33:11 PM

Watching this Iceland/Nigeria match and noticed every one on the Iceland side has a last name ending in 'son save the backup keeper.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/team/43951/

Icelanders use the traditional Nordic naming system: their last name is comprised from their father's (or mother's) first name with the addition of -daughter or -son. See Björk Guðmundsdóttir.

There are only 21,500 registered football players in Iceland, which has a population of 330,000.

Iceland team manager Heimir Hallgrimsson was until recently a dentist.

Goalkeeper Hannes Halldórsson, who saved Messi’s penalty, is also professional filmmaker who directed a Coca-Cola ad.

They posted this on the official Iceland team Twitter... :)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:47:36 PM by Tale »
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 22, 2018, 05:49:15 PM

Actually today’s games were a little better , Swiss game was good

Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: June 22, 2018, 06:24:15 PM

Actually today’s games were a little better , Swiss game was good

Bordering on a rugby match at times, but I agree... the last match was the most entertaining. I was pulling hard for Costa Rica just because I forgot how much I enjoyed their keeper, who I suddenly remember from last year. But Brasil just looked like the better team.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 22, 2018, 06:54:40 PM

That is my new favorite picture, SirT.  I'm calling it "Italian foosball table"

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: FIFA World Cup - Russia 2018  
Jump to: