Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:49:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avengers: Infinity War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avengers: Infinity War  (Read 63709 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #175 on: May 10, 2018, 03:16:53 PM

The fact that I actually give a fuck about what happens in the next movie is a massive testament to the quality of this one.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: May 10, 2018, 07:30:50 PM

How long do we have to put up with rampant and bullshit speculation ?

I mean, when is the next one out ?  It's next week ?  Please tell me it's next week ?

It is what we do after we have seen a thing and we have some feeling of caring about what happens next. Feel free to go see another movie.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: May 10, 2018, 08:59:47 PM

How long do we have to put up with rampant and bullshit speculation ?

I mean, when is the next one out ?  It's next week ?  Please tell me it's next week ?

It is what we do after we have seen a thing and we have some feeling of caring about what happens next. Feel free to go see another movie.

Whoosh...

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: May 11, 2018, 01:07:19 AM

The fact that I actually give a fuck about what happens in the next movie is a massive testament to the quality of this one.

I agree.  The issue is the fundamental dichotomy in the mind between 'There is an easy and stupid and awful and Moffat and cheap way to get out of this' to 'This is Marvel who have astounded thus far and may in fact have something awesome'.

It's horrible.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: May 11, 2018, 05:54:04 AM

Well the movie was filmed already, if you don't care about spoilers there are enough on set pictures that you can get a clear idea of what happens.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: May 11, 2018, 06:41:09 AM

Like all those pics of Thanos with two gems ?  I'll pass thanks.   why so serious?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: May 11, 2018, 06:54:20 AM

Those were official trailers specifically made that way to not be spoilery.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #182 on: May 11, 2018, 07:43:06 AM

Where exactly has it been leaked that time travel is even a factor in the next movie or is this just speculation that is getting treated as fact?

The Captain Marvel movie is set in the '90's.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: May 11, 2018, 08:21:25 AM

Well the movie was filmed already, if you don't care about spoilers there are enough on set pictures that you can get a clear idea of what happens.
We have snapshots, but not a context for those snapshots.  We hope that the sum is greater than the parts seem to make them out to be - and statements by the directors seem to rule out some of the things people are assuming, but the directors could be full of crap, too.

I have faith that Marvel will close this out in a satisfactory way, but I think it will be really hard for it to end up being the best of all Marvel movies. 

Time will tell.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: May 11, 2018, 09:43:46 AM

No matter what is in the next one it will be near impossible to try and separate this one from it, they really are a two part movie, albeit a 5 hour two part movie.  So if the next movie is even close to this one I'll definitely put "infinity war" as my top marvel movie.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: May 11, 2018, 01:43:14 PM

Has there been any info on the sequel's title yet? I remember them saying they didn't want to announce it because it spoiled something in IW; I wonder how long before the title and trailer drop.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #186 on: May 11, 2018, 02:53:47 PM

Has there been any info on the sequel's title yet? I remember them saying they didn't want to announce it because it spoiled something in IW; I wonder how long before the title and trailer drop.

Avengers: Infinity War, The Rest of the Movie
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: May 11, 2018, 02:57:35 PM

They hinted it will be a while... I'm guessing we learn the title after Ant-man and Wasp.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: May 14, 2018, 10:28:41 AM

I really, really liked this. Just amazingly handled massive ensemble movie, the only bit I really didn't enjoy was the Wakandan confrontation, the whole 'two groups running at each other across an open field' bit was dumb in Cap 2 and it was dumb here. That said I felt like they handled bringing the cast together much, much more smoothly. They trusted the audience to know who everyone was, they didn't give most characters any arcs but they also brought them in much more organically. Thanos was far better handled than expected and I kind of felt a better done villain with a moral code than Killmonger.

Really it felt like a movie where they were doing things they had had a chance to test out in the previous films, where they've actually gotten better at presenting this kind of thing on the screen. One of the frustrating thing about the DC movies is the directors and producers don't seem to learn from their movies. At best they make new mistakes, at worst they manage to just do the bad shit twice as much. Marvel have honed their craft and they started pretty well.

I guess the next couple of stand alones are going to be set between this and pt.II?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: May 14, 2018, 10:44:15 AM

I really, really liked this. Just amazingly handled massive ensemble movie, the only bit I really didn't enjoy was the Wakandan confrontation, the whole 'two groups running at each other across an open field' bit was dumb in Cap 2 and it was dumb here. That said I felt like they handled bringing the cast together much, much more smoothly. They trusted the audience to know who everyone was, they didn't give most characters any arcs but they also brought them in much more organically. Thanos was far better handled than expected and I kind of felt a better done villain with a moral code than Killmonger.

Really it felt like a movie where they were doing things they had had a chance to test out in the previous films, where they've actually gotten better at presenting this kind of thing on the screen. One of the frustrating thing about the DC movies is the directors and producers don't seem to learn from their movies. At best they make new mistakes, at worst they manage to just do the bad shit twice as much. Marvel have honed their craft and they started pretty well.

I guess the next couple of stand alones are going to be set between this and pt.II?

Ant Man and the Wasp comes out in July, and (according to wikipedia) is set between Civil War and Infinity War. The trailer implies that Scott Lang is under house arrest, I assume because of his participation in Civil War. I speculate that the end of this movie will feature several characters getting dusted a la the end scene of Infinity War, and Hawkeye showing up to recruit Scott and Hope to help set things aright in next year's Avengers 4 movie.

Captain Marvel is set in the 90s, and is scheduled to be released in March of 2019, two months before Avengers 4. Again, this is according to wikipedia.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: May 15, 2018, 11:44:38 AM

For those curious how Infinity War would be addressed by Agents of Shield: Season 6 will premiere Summer 2019.

So... probably exactly like the movie does.

http://tvline.com/2018/05/15/agents-of-shield-season-6-summer-2019/

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: May 16, 2018, 08:13:58 AM

I keep forgetting that show exists.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: May 16, 2018, 08:16:50 PM

I keep forgetting that show exists.

It doesn't exist keep forgetting.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: May 17, 2018, 09:58:12 AM

Hey, it's not that bad.  Some of it actually reaches the heady heights of 'watchable.'

I wouldn't have believed that at Season 1.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: May 17, 2018, 10:42:05 AM

It is kind of a non-issue... I can't imagine that fans will rush back to it after it leaves the air for a year unless they have a huge hook (Hawkeye makes an appearance, or they add a B list character to the roster type thing...)

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #195 on: May 18, 2018, 08:47:17 PM

Told you AOS would basically ignore it. Outside of two lines of dialogue there was zero interaction with the story-line.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: May 19, 2018, 01:52:15 AM

Told you AOS would basically ignore it. Outside of two lines of dialogue there was zero interaction with the story-line.
Yup... they clearly wrote it as a series finale.... cop out.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #197 on: May 25, 2018, 07:35:52 AM

I didn't like this movie. In fact, I'm sick of these movies and this franchise.

The last one I liked was Guardians Of The Galaxy 1 (disclaimer: I haven't seen Thor Ragnarok and suspect I might like it).

But I don't want to pay to see any more of them at the cinema. Instead they'll be mindless Netflix entertainment.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: May 25, 2018, 11:24:13 AM

The last one I liked was Guardians Of The Galaxy 1 (disclaimer: I haven't seen Thor Ragnarok and suspect I might like it).

But I don't want to pay to see any more of them at the cinema. Instead they'll be mindless Netflix entertainment.
Welcome to the minority of geekdom. 

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: May 25, 2018, 12:39:23 PM

Welcome to the minority of geekdom. 

Meh?

The majority of geekdom usually can't separate "i didn't like this" from "THIS IS OBJECTIVELY BAD" so Tale is well ahead of the majority of geekdom.  I did really love Infinity War, but I'll support his take.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: May 25, 2018, 04:13:24 PM

If you don't like Thor: Ragnarok you have no soul.

I can see not really enjoying this if you're burned out on big action spectacle. It's a very well crafted piece but if you're sick of the whole blockbuster type genre it's not going to do much for you.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: May 26, 2018, 02:38:23 PM

I can see not really enjoying this if you're burned out on big action spectacle. It's a very well crafted piece but if you're sick of the whole blockbuster type genre it's not going to do much for you.

Yeah this is pretty much the best burger out there but if you don't eat meat then it's not any better than mcdonalds.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #202 on: May 26, 2018, 05:02:52 PM

My soul did not enjoy the convoluted set-up, joining together dots of movies I had and had not seen (it would be an AWFUL movie to anyone who had not previously seen the series), big obvious pauses to line up in-jokes and do fan service, and...

I've had a mixed reaction to the past movies. For example, the Iron Man movies bored me. I find the new Spiderman very meh, unlike the popular reaction to it. But I liked Doctor Strange and the Captain America movies well enough, among others. There hasn't been a great one for a long time though.

I love big action spectacle. I am tired of these mediocre Marvel movies. So are the people involved, I think. These are like Transformers movies now - massive audience, totally forgettable. Emperor's New Clothes, sorry. You're all welcome to your opinion and I'm glad you're having fun!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: May 27, 2018, 03:40:40 PM

I love big action spectacle. I am tired of these mediocre Marvel movies. So are the people involved, I think. These are like Transformers movies now - massive audience, totally forgettable. Emperor's New Clothes, sorry. You're all welcome to your opinion and I'm glad you're having fun!

I get having issues with the Marvel movies and/or being burned out on them. But comparing them to the Transformers movies is just insane. Transformers had one semi-decent movie (the very first one) and then it's just been nothing but shit. Like, I'd rather watch GI Joe 20 times in a row than see another Transformer movie.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #204 on: May 27, 2018, 08:19:04 PM

I have nothing really to add except to add my vote to the + side.  Saw it today.  Superb "flick".   Genuinely a fun movie, hitting lots of comic highs and lows.  Terrific.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: May 27, 2018, 11:40:56 PM

I finally went to see this tonight and enjoyed it a lot.  Hate that now I have to wait how long for the next movie, but I'll survive.

The Children of Thanos baddies were totally non-entities to me, except that big guy who fought Hulk, the vengeful female one, and the crazy one with Strange.  I mean. they just seemed interchangeable to me.  Which is fine, I guess.  At least they weren't taken out in seconds as if they were fodder.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: May 28, 2018, 03:19:24 AM

I finally went to see this tonight and enjoyed it a lot.  Hate that now I have to wait how long for the next movie, but I'll survive.

The Children of Thanos baddies were totally non-entities to me, except that big guy who fought Hulk, the vengeful female one, and the crazy one with Strange.  I mean. they just seemed interchangeable to me.  Which is fine, I guess.  At least they weren't taken out in seconds as if they were fodder.

Head scratch  There were others ?  I'm not being sarky, I genuinely can't think of any either - were there supposed to be other memorable ones ?

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: May 28, 2018, 03:57:55 AM

The stealth assassin with the hood who was paired with angry chick in the Vision/Scarlet witch fight near the start is the only other one I can think of.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: May 28, 2018, 05:29:34 AM

Yeah there was four, but he named three of them and the last one was the one with the least amount of screen time.

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: May 28, 2018, 07:17:14 PM

Transformers movies are all pretty horrible but I do have to say that I'm excited for the Bumblebee movie.
It seems like it will be the last.

There were four kids, and they were made to be very powerful in the movie and comics.  They were flunkies.... I'd have preferred that they were set up in a prior movie to give them a bi more depth.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avengers: Infinity War  
Jump to: