Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:48:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story  (Read 65248 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: July 07, 2018, 04:23:00 PM

What do you mean one third of the time? Deadpool 2 came out before Solo. It's also still in theaters while Solo is long gone.

I am the .00000001428%
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #211 on: July 07, 2018, 04:30:02 PM

You’re right. I somehow thought that Solo had been out since March/April
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: July 08, 2018, 06:05:02 PM

I liked Solo.  I thought young Han was fine.  Young Lando was great.  The story was decent, the action was decent, overall not a bad way to pass a couple hours.

Really that's all I ask of a movie these days.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #213 on: July 09, 2018, 07:28:59 AM

Saw this and actually enjoyed it a lot as well.  Nothing ground breaking, but very Star Wars in feel, and a much better constructed movie than TLJ.

I will agree that the only odd flaw (But still minor over all) is that Han doesn't change as a character through this.  Everything was perfectly there in the writing for a good character arc. 

All of that should have taken him in a nice perfect arc of getting more and more cynical jaded, setting up the Han we know.  A rouge who is still mostly good at heart, but with a deeply cynical take on the world and very focused on himself rather than others anymore.  Yet he literally flies off laughing as the exact same 'heart of gold' naive youth he was at the start of the film, after every terrible thing that just happened to him.

Again, this didn't take away my enjoyment of the film, I just thought it was an unfortunate oversight considering the writers all did their parts perfectly in setting up everything.  The actor and/or director just didn't seem to get the memo....

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: July 11, 2018, 09:58:54 AM

Solo just has a Pollyanna can-do Dudley Do-right thing from beginning to end.

--Dave

Sorta my impression as well... I kept wondering why this doughy suburban dolt was wandering around the underworld.

Solo isn't a tent-pole movie because there's nothing interesting or compelling about Solo... I don't have a strong opinion on whether that's the fault of bad casting, bad writing, bad directing, bad acting or all of the above... just that a movie about Solo has to nail the Solo character.  They didn't do that on any level.  What I do see is a lot of people filling in gaps with what they like about Han and trying to salvage something to like about Solo.

The rumors I heard about changing directors because the movie was too funny/light make me wonder either how bad the original was, or how stupid they were to think that unfunny and not-dark would be better.  But I'll admit that my rumor mongering is third hand and half-hearted at best, so maybe the rumors are way off.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: July 14, 2018, 12:40:46 PM

Saw this and actually enjoyed it a lot as well.  Nothing ground breaking, but very Star Wars in feel, and a much better constructed movie than TLJ.

I will agree that the only odd flaw (But still minor over all) is that Han doesn't change as a character through this.  Everything was perfectly there in the writing for a good character arc.  

All of that should have taken him in a nice perfect arc of getting more and more cynical jaded, setting up the Han we know.  A rouge who is still mostly good at heart, but with a deeply cynical take on the world and very focused on himself rather than others anymore.  Yet he literally flies off laughing as the exact same 'heart of gold' naive youth he was at the start of the film, after every terrible thing that just happened to him.

Again, this didn't take away my enjoyment of the film, I just thought it was an unfortunate oversight considering the writers all did their parts perfectly in setting up everything.  The actor and/or director just didn't seem to get the memo....

Personally I like the idea that Han has always been a good hearted person (even if he doesn't respect the law) and has always tried to act tough, villainous, scummy but the whole thing is an act just to survive. After he hooks up with the gang in ANH he is finally allowed to act a little like the person he really is hence why he comes back and shoots Vader's Tie Fighter at the end then eventually marries the Princess.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: September 28, 2018, 06:13:55 AM

Finally watched this. If ever a movie showed it was written by two people this was it, felt disjointed? There were the bones of a good movie but they never could quite connect on it. Thought young Solo was just fine.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: October 02, 2018, 05:20:03 AM

Rented this. It was very...bland. Which doesn't surprise me as I feel that way about every Ron Howard movie. My issues in no particular order:

-His last name wasn't his actual last name but given to him by some random Imperial recruiter?
-He did what to earn Chewie's loyalty again? Oh and he can speak Wookiee apparently but never does it ever again?
-Emelia Clark continues to show Danerys is the only character she's good at.
-Han Solo didn't act like Han Solo.
-Why was everything so dark and murky? Was this a DC movie masquerading as a Star Wars movie?

Good parts:
Train heist
Kessel run
Lando
Woody Harrelson
Thandie Newton

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: October 02, 2018, 12:16:27 PM

Saw somebody else complaining about dark and murky, but I have no idea what you guys saw. Wonder if my tv is just set differently, but I never had a moment where I thought it was too dark.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #219 on: October 02, 2018, 01:35:22 PM

The beginning twenty or so minutes were incredibly dark and murky for me.  After that it cleared up.  This was in a theater so I don't know if anything has been changed with the home release, but I had a very hard time making out what was going on and that's rarely a problem for me.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: October 02, 2018, 03:30:28 PM

Huh. Yeah, I got the DVD release. No issue here.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: October 02, 2018, 05:32:46 PM

I saw this Sunday. It's not very good. I'm glad I didn't see it in the theater.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: October 02, 2018, 06:57:47 PM

Amazon Prime had this for $2.99 as a rental if you have Prime.  I give it a hearty 'meh'.  Disney must have had a strangle hold on Ron Howard.  Not his best work.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #223 on: October 02, 2018, 10:37:56 PM

He was just cleaning up after someone else's mess.  Disney brought him in because he knows how to get a job done and deliver a damn movie.  Disney just wanted to recoup some of their losses from the failure of Phil Lord and Chris Miller; Ron Howard was the most reliable director they could find.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: October 03, 2018, 06:59:03 AM

He was just cleaning up after someone else's mess.  Disney brought him in because he knows how to get a job done and deliver a damn movie.  Disney just wanted to recoup some of their losses from the failure of Phil Lord and Chris Miller; Ron Howard was the most reliable director they could find.

That makes me feel better.  Thanks.

Ron Howard is an amazingly talented guy.  This must have been a complete shitshow when he showed up.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: October 03, 2018, 07:50:34 AM

Yeah, he came in when production was 70% done and basically reshot most of the movie.  However, since it was a time crunch, he basically just reshot the scenes without much script/plot change.  Though he had to dial back the sets to smaller scale than original because it was faster to shoot.  I remember an article saying that the two guys directing before him would do 30 takes per scene, driving everybody insane.  They all seemed to not really have any idea how to do the film, and everything was a complete mess.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: October 03, 2018, 12:16:03 PM

Saw this and actually enjoyed it a lot as well.  Nothing ground breaking, but very Star Wars in feel, and a much better constructed movie than TLJ.

I will agree that the only odd flaw (But still minor over all) is that Han doesn't change as a character through this.  Everything was perfectly there in the writing for a good character arc. 

All of that should have taken him in a nice perfect arc of getting more and more cynical jaded, setting up the Han we know.  A rouge who is still mostly good at heart, but with a deeply cynical take on the world and very focused on himself rather than others anymore.  Yet he literally flies off laughing as the exact same 'heart of gold' naive youth he was at the start of the film, after every terrible thing that just happened to him.

Again, this didn't take away my enjoyment of the film, I just thought it was an unfortunate oversight considering the writers all did their parts perfectly in setting up everything.  The actor and/or director just didn't seem to get the memo....

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: October 03, 2018, 12:37:06 PM

The ending was also pretty clearly a setup for a sequel where something happens with Qi'ra and the Hutt contract, I'd imagine.

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: October 03, 2018, 12:40:01 PM

Well, supposedly there was some talk of this being the first of 2 or even 3 movies, in the original plan. Which is utterly baffling.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #229 on: October 03, 2018, 03:27:01 PM

Probably the tenth time I've said this in regards to SW on this board alone, but I wish they would do serial TV live action with the franchise. Solo would have worked pretty well as a series - all the heists and character development.

In theory, serial would bring in less money than the major features, but would also cost less to produce. We have TWO different shitty zombie shows from the same franchise and nothing from SW? It's just an odd decision.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: October 03, 2018, 10:15:15 PM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: October 04, 2018, 06:13:19 AM

Well, supposedly there was some talk of this being the first of 2 or even 3 movies, in the original plan. Which is utterly baffling.
Were they going to be called Duo and Trio next?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: October 04, 2018, 06:29:38 AM

Maybe holdo and circlejo.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:32:51 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: October 04, 2018, 08:34:46 AM

Next movie title would be ‘Hut’, obviously.   awesome, for real

-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: October 04, 2018, 05:02:53 PM

The ending was also pretty clearly a setup for a sequel where something happens with Qi'ra and the Hutt contract, I'd imagine.

Yeah, I really struggle with the complaints about insufficiently cynical Han when plainly Qi'ra is the antagonist in the second act of Han's story and the obvious way he'd become a bit meaner.

I also think people give way too much of a shit about inter film continuity in general.

Similarly complaints about lack of Qi'ra / Han chemistry are weird when for 90% of the film Han has been friend zoned.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: October 05, 2018, 01:43:17 AM

Yeah, I ignore the chemistry complaints because people are obviously ignoring the near slave mentality she has towards Voss. Oh well. Nitpicks gonna nitpick, yo.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: October 05, 2018, 01:51:29 AM

Yeah, that is a pretty strange complaint.  Much of the story is centered around her ambivalence towards him after the reunion.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: October 05, 2018, 02:51:46 AM

The beginning twenty or so minutes were incredibly dark and murky for me.  After that it cleared up.  This was in a theater so I don't know if anything has been changed with the home release, but I had a very hard time making out what was going on and that's rarely a problem for me.

I had the same issue on bluray. It didn't stop enjoyment of the film because this is not a subtle or hard to follow movie and tbh you'd know exactly what was happening even if the screen was blank.

But it did rob the train heist of some impact.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: October 05, 2018, 07:00:34 AM

Besides we KNOW they don't end up together, why should they be expected to have chemistry.

I am the .00000001428%
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: October 05, 2018, 07:11:16 AM

So that she can die in the sequels and that turns Han cynical and Solo, of course. Because a life of dealing with criminals and corrupt jerks wont do that.

Thats what's called a character arc these days.

Hic sunt dracones.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: October 05, 2018, 07:26:59 AM

Her betraying him is more likely to turn him cynical than her dying. Dying would just be sad if they were actually a good couple.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: October 05, 2018, 11:35:40 AM

In this movie she manipulated Han to get an opportunity to kill Voss and take his position in the gang. At the same time as repeatedly telling Han not to trust her and that they aren't getting back together. She did not end this film with a sad prisoner face making some big damn sacrifice for her man.

Qi'ra's relationship with Han is explained clearly and completely in the first two minutes after they reunite. Fwiw I think they designed that relationship pretty well given the Leia issue.

She is obviously set up to make Han sad, but not by dying.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 11:44:44 AM by eldaec »

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: October 05, 2018, 01:10:02 PM

The only good thing about this movie is that Han shot first.  why so serious?
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: October 05, 2018, 11:01:18 PM

Nah, there was plenty to like about this movie.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: October 07, 2018, 06:14:26 AM

Solo is an excellent movie. It's nearly as good as R1 and I think it's better than 7 or 8.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story  
Jump to: