Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:50:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: BEDS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEDS  (Read 14160 times)
schild
Administrator

on: August 15, 2017, 09:39:35 PM

Ok. My bed, a pretty nice Sealy (I think, it's the one from the W hotel) got all jacked the fuck up between two moves across the country. We've looked at a lot of beds on the market, and like the Reverie a good deal but are hesitant due to basically universal panning of their warranty and customer support. We're going to look at Sleep Number this week. If anyone has any experience with Sleep Numbers, let me know.

Anyway, if you have suggestions, here are my requirements:
1. Can stay genuinely cool. I run hot. This means all memory foam garbage is right out. So is On Purple because theyre assholes.
2. Adjustable foot/head. So split king or half split.
3. Massage. Im a cosmopolitan prick. Also I know this is mostly relevant to the base, not the bed these days. But it mostly eliminates pure coil beds.
4. Medium firmness. At least for half of it. My half. Wife less picky.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:49:30 PM by schild »
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 11:31:30 PM

Craigslist?  why so serious?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 02:41:45 AM

No experience with sleep numbers long-term, but it's what I was going to get before I tried the memory foam. (And goddamn is that an improvement over springs)

They seem like the best alternative out there if you can't / won't do foam and have a return period. They'll probably even last longer than the 10years other mattress last because of the air. Your risks are about the same as a waterbed. Punctures, failed seals, pinhole leaks.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:04:19 AM

My dad has had a sleep number bed for a number of years and they really like it. Of course he slept on a shitty 1970's hide-a-bed for like 4 years after my parents got divorced so he might not be the best judge of mattress quality  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 05:47:14 AM

So is On Purple because theyre assholes.

Elaborate, please?  I was actually looking at those recently. 

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 06:37:13 AM

So is On Purple because theyre assholes.

Elaborate, please?  I was actually looking at those recently.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eB0KFPx-GQ

It's less about the powder (though, gross), and more about the goddamn behavior of the company.

Then they proceed to insinuate that the reviewer is a paid troll or has paid trolls:

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/69xqxh/reviewer_asks_question_about_product_safety_and/dhavgpv/?sh=0af40d2e&st=J2GWOW44

So, yeah, they're fuckin assholes.

Edit: I should add, the reviewer is sketchy as fuck, but they're handling the whole situation like assholes regardless. They're trying to get to discovery so they can prove the "reviewer" is a paid shill for another mattress company. But if they already had that proof, there's no reason to not release it. Whole thing just stinks.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:01:32 AM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 06:53:36 AM

They'll probably even last longer than the 10years other mattress last because of the air. Your risks are about the same as a waterbed. Punctures, failed seals, pinhole leaks.

They have a pretty robust warranty, so yeah, not particularly concerned with the possibility of failed sealed. Also, like most things, I'm sure if it's gonna fuck up, it's gonna fuck up in the first 6 months.

https://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/warranty
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 07:18:16 AM

Sleep number is nothing more than an overpriced, glorified air mattress. 

I'd recommend a Talalay latex memory foam mattress.  The firmer, the better.  It will take 2-3 weeks to adjust to the firmness, but your back will thank you in the long run.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 08:44:41 AM

We really like our sleep number-like bed. It's from some other brand that isn't made anymore, but no trouble with it and the pillowtop over the air bladders make it feel and look like a normal mattress - with adjustable firmness on head feet and middle.

I did have to fix a pinhole leak after 8 years, but it was easy to find with a spray bottle of soapy water.

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 09:44:23 AM

Sleep number is nothing more than an overpriced, glorified air mattress. 

I'd recommend a Talalay latex memory foam mattress.  The firmer, the better.  It will take 2-3 weeks to adjust to the firmness, but your back will thank you in the long run.
We have a pretty big local store here that sells Talalay latex mattresses and Leggett & Platt adjustable beds. The big things I dislike about memory foam is that no matter what they say, they seem to run hot. Also, the lack of edge support drives me up the fucking wall.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 10:11:58 AM

We have one of the memory foam mattresses that isn't supposed to get hot and it still gets hot.  It's really comfortable but we have to keep a fan running all night even in the winter or it's just too much.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 11:18:13 AM

We have a pretty big local store here that sells Talalay latex mattresses and Leggett & Platt adjustable beds. The big things I dislike about memory foam is that no matter what they say, they seem to run hot. Also, the lack of edge support drives me up the fucking wall.

Good points.  I've found using a cotton mattress pad helps with heat issues, but do agree that the lack of an edge bead can be a bit annoying at times. 

If you find a good mattress, I'd be interested in hearing what you decided on.  People tend to undervalue the impact a good mattress can have on your quality of life.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 11:26:03 AM

I bought a mattress from a local mattress factory. It is nothing fancy but they made it firmer than they normally do at my request and made it from scratch and delivered it the next day.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 11:44:21 AM

People tend to undervalue the impact a good mattress can have on your quality of life.

For reals. 1/3rd of your life is worth a lot of money, in my opinion. Especially when it so significantly impacts the other 2/3rds. Never skimp on mattresses or shoes, or your life will suck.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 12:36:40 PM

They'll probably even last longer than the 10years other mattress last because of the air. Your risks are about the same as a waterbed. Punctures, failed seals, pinhole leaks.

They have a pretty robust warranty, so yeah, not particularly concerned with the possibility of failed sealed. Also, like most things, I'm sure if it's gonna fuck up, it's gonna fuck up in the first 6 months.

The other plus side is if any puncture is minor the design and auto inflation that maintains your set firmness tends to offset airloss from minor issues to the point you likely would not notice anything. Also not containing fluid means any minor issue is not a huge mess. Most of those I know who have had them have had decent luck with them.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 12:54:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eB0KFPx-GQ

It's less about the powder (though, gross), and more about the goddamn behavior of the company.
That's enough to scare me off -- I have a hyper-sensitive nose and respiratory system.

Then they proceed to insinuate that the reviewer is a paid troll or has paid trolls:

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/69xqxh/reviewer_asks_question_about_product_safety_and/dhavgpv/?sh=0af40d2e&st=J2GWOW44

So, yeah, they're fuckin assholes Mormons.
FIFY why so serious?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:56:55 PM by Trippy »
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 01:11:27 PM

Only "issue" I've ever heard in relation to the Sleep Number beds is that they suck if you're an edge sleeper, which I am.  The co-worker who has one said it drives her crazy because the firm/foam edge is annoying compared to the rest of the bed.

Husband and I need to look into a new bed sooner or later.  We got the current mattress set when we moved into this house and upgraded to a king bed, and that was over 16 years ago now.  I'm leaning towards a split king setup with adjustable base so that we can each do our own thing, especially if either of us wants to watch TV in bed.

Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 02:59:13 PM

This.  I switched to an extra firm without a quilted pad on the top.  I hadn't done it because I was thinking it would be too much like:

But after 2 weeks it was pretty nice.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 06:24:52 AM

I went as firm as I could with a Sealy, and then the fiance got a twin memory foam cover for her side.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 07:09:32 AM

Water.
Bed.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 09:32:44 PM

Had a sleep number bed.  It was great for about a year, then it fell apart.  Don't try to move with it.  It's basically an overpriced air mattress. 

We got a Tuft and Needle mattress and we really like it.  Have had it about 2 years and it still sleeps really well.  It's not super hot like a lot of the latex/foam beds and I am like you, don't like a hot bed.  And it's pretty cheap. 
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 19, 2017, 03:36:30 AM

I have heard that the warranty is voided if you move the bed yourself (ie you need to call them out every time the bed needs to be moved) of course seeing as how they are also heavy as fuck you wont want to move it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: August 19, 2017, 08:17:19 AM

I don't plan on moving for uh

until someone buys my house for too much money to build a skyscraper

so that's not a concern. I don't like the idea of it just being an overpriced air mattress though.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 03:13:22 PM

I didn't necessarily mean move it from house to house, I meant more like lets move it from this wall of our room to that one over there.  Coworkers of my wife's are having floors redone and called the sleepnumber folks out to move the bed out of the way and then will have to have them out again to move it back.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #24 on: August 26, 2017, 04:07:40 PM

If you don't mind replacing the mattress more often as they sort of evaporate the cheapest memory foam stuff you can buy works fine, at least according to most of my friends who do that.

I just bought a new regular old mattress and boxspring since I prefer pretty firm mattresses.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #25 on: August 26, 2017, 07:15:37 PM

My sister and bro in law bought me a bed for my birthday two years ago.  It was a Bed in a Box.  I don't know which one but it's very very very comfy and doesn't get hot.  It was actually in a bag so it should have been named a Bed in a Bag in a Box.  I like it very much.  The bed I had before that cost more than twice the amount of the priciest one they have and it wasn't nearly as comfortable.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 07:24:49 PM

Heh, I litigated against those Purple guys for years (and years later ended up on a jury pool for a case they were involved in). They are real pieces of work.

EDIT: Ha! Just looked at the lawsuit docs and I was good pals with their lawyer in law school.   
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 07:43:09 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 06:37:05 AM

Sure, but does the mattress work?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 12:12:50 PM

We have one of these Octospring mattresses.

http://www.dormeo.com/mattress.html

Its not as firm as a solid memory foam, but has the same qualities compared with spring mattresses.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 02:09:31 PM

I have jacked up c5-c6 and bulge at L5-S1 dealt with it for about 15 years now (kayaking and mountain biking injuries from when I was young and "invincible").  I have been sleeping on select comfort for ~13 years or more.  I have my original California twin in my guest room, and my Queen in my master bedroom.   I can't see myself ever buying a different brand.  I have never had any problems, leaks, breaks ever. Period.

My queen is split so dual inflation/stiffness/whatever you wanna call it.  I do not have the raise up and down option thingy.  Friends parents got a top end bed with all the whistles and bells it probably set them back 10k-ish.  They absolutely love it.  My queen was in the 2k+ range IIRC hmmm maybe  a bit less.   I love them and unless things have changed they have a great return policy.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 08:45:52 PM

Good points.  I've found using a cotton mattress pad helps with heat issues, but do agree that the lack of an edge bead can be a bit annoying at times. 

If you find a good mattress, I'd be interested in hearing what you decided on.  People tend to undervalue the impact a good mattress can have on your quality of life.

Ended up getting the Pure Talalay Bliss Nature Matress (King): http://puretalalaybliss.com/product/nature/

And the Leggett & Platt Prodigy 2: https://lpadjustablebeds.com/product/prodigy2

This bed is a slice of fucking heaven. Pillow tilt just crushes any feature put forth by the competition and the temperature neutral mattress is really just something else.

Did bounce an iPad pro across the room and into a wall though since I was so used to tossing it on the bed. That was unexpected.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 10:53:48 AM

Jesus, that's a fancy mattress.  I should really give some serious thought to upgrading -- I bought my last mattress when I was in a much more financially-strapped situation and it's "good enough" that I haven't felt compelled to replace it, but I bet my spine would thank me.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 10:56:38 AM

Smart man and a good purchase.  As much time as we spend sleeping, a bed is a great investment. 

Glad you found something that works well for you.

-  Mark Twain
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 01:31:30 PM

People tend to undervalue the impact a good mattress can have on your quality of life.

For reals. 1/3rd of your life is worth a lot of money, in my opinion. Especially when it so significantly impacts the other 2/3rds. Never skimp on mattresses or shoes, or your life will suck.

I had mattress that had a sizable dip on one side because even though it was a queen and I sleep alone ( cry Heartbreak) I tend to sleep on that one side.  I couldn't even move to the other side because part of that dipped, too, and I'd just end up rolling back down.  My back hurt like a mother for the last 6 months or so that I had it.  When I moved a few years ago, I got a new bed and my back pain was gone in less than a week.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #34 on: October 15, 2017, 10:44:39 AM

Laid on some things and got a Sleep Number.  There were far more expensive mattresses.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: BEDS  
Jump to: