Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:19:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ready Player One 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ready Player One  (Read 17646 times)
schild
Administrator

on: July 22, 2017, 02:14:20 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 02:24:30 PM

i'm like really upset this exists and is popular enough for spielberg to like, care about

Lucky Wander Boy would make the MUCH better movie. Also, DB Weiss should have that pull by now.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 02:49:32 PM

i'm like really upset this exists and is popular enough for spielberg to like, care about

This is God's honest. The book was trite and boring.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 04:56:30 PM

+1 +1 , the movie looks even worse.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 05:44:31 AM

I never read it, the trailer makes it look like the tone is an out-of-touch Boomer's understanding of youth geek culture in the mid 2000's.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 05:47:23 AM

see, I thought it just looked like pandering fanservice garbage written by a moron
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 06:09:23 AM

Same difference.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 07:07:38 AM

I disliked the book, and this looks faithful to it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 07:28:52 AM

I don't understand why Spielberg is involved with this garbage. Did someone have blackmail material on him?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 09:50:54 AM

I think Spielberg's ability to choose good material has been suspect for years.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 10:20:16 AM

I genuinely thought I'd be in a minority hating on the book.  And yet here we are.

To say something positive ;  looks like it's more suited to being a movie.   awesome, for real

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 05:43:43 PM

I guess I'll be in the minority - I liked the book.

I have no real hope of it being a decent movie though.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 07:06:55 AM

This was The Davinci Code all over again for me.  At a base, simple level, the story is fun.  Puzzle solving mystery that is overall well paced.  Stupid old-timey adventure fun.

But both books were written at such a low level it was insulting.  It's like, grown adults recommending Goosebump books to read as the most amazing novels ever.  I mean, they are totally great if you have the brain of a third grader, but.......

The strange upside for me on this is that the movie has a significantly higher chance of being more enjoyable than the book.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 08:56:23 AM

What about grown adults recommending Goosebumps would surprise you?  Everything is Young Adult fiction these days.  I'll add that I'm of the camp that thought the book was a fine, quick read but have no expectations for the movie at all.  This is straight-to-Netflix for me.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 09:16:35 AM

I found the book fun because I understood most of the 70s/80s pop culture references. That said it was no great work of literature, just a quick summer read. I'll wait for the Netflix release too.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 10:03:51 AM

What about grown adults recommending Goosebumps would surprise you?  Everything is Young Adult fiction these days. 

That's because most adults are dumb.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 10:30:47 AM

The average reading level of American adults is about 7th to 8th grade level. A readability score is given as a “grade level,” but a score doesn't tell us whether an adult with a specific level of education will be able to read the text.

http://www.clearlanguagegroup.com/readability/

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 11:35:24 AM

Not that that's "dumb", mind you. On the 40L Test, the words representing those grade levels are:
7 collegiate aspiration psychiatrist entrepreneur surveillance
   impetuous provisional jurisprudence manifold coordinate
8 pseudonym myopic gracious exhaust inconsiderate
   emphasize negligence seminary antithesis renaissance
And either way, the vocabulary isn't as important to my enjoyment as the degree to which a book holds my hand while I follow the story. Ready Player One does a lot of hand-holding.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 12:21:12 PM

TIL I don't have a 12th grade reading level ... 

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 12:51:38 PM

The thing I disliked about the book is that it thinks the basic set-up of the virtual world, its creator and the players is *good* (setting it against the dystopic failure of material life on Earth). Whereas it seemed to me that a virtual world that could be anything but is instead stuck in a nostalgic act of personal self-gratification and that uses a sick contest to compel the entire world to be stuck in that self-gratification is more dystopic than the trailer-park piles that people live in.

It's like if Elon Musk had himself frozen in a tube and promised to pay a zillion dollars to the first person who hand-built a hyperloop between San Francisco and Los Angeles and half the people in the country bled out or died of dehydration while trying. Doesn't matter that there's a Golden Ticket at the end, the whole thing is a fucking nightmare.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 02:53:00 PM

That's part of what I meant by "hand-holding". Better stories give their characters and institutions levels of conflicted truth. We make judgments based on subtext and complexity. Ready Player One is an ornate but simplistic fairy tale, with its thumb so firmly on the morality scales that there's no need to speculate about exactly what the writer wants us to think.

I like it when authors are comfortable with their own deaths, rather than feeling it necessary to carve Egyptian murals all over the tomb to remind perpetuity of exactly how they wanted to be remembered. The best art, in my mind, is a unique conversation between its creator and every single member of the audience.

Writing is a form with all the flexibility required to turn that chat into a lecture.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 02:54:50 PM by pxib »

if at last you do succeed, never try again
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 03:00:30 PM

The book was boring because it was essentially Charlie and the Chocolate Factory filtered through all the worst pop culture references of a stand up comic whose entire act is "remember Strawberry Shortcake? What was up with that?"

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 03:41:56 PM

If you are going to read pulpy garbage please just get into the WH40k Heresey novels or Battletech not into whatever that book was. But I don't hold the kind of ill will towards the book that would stop me from saying a trailer looked good. This one didn't do anything for me until the end, bad voiceover saying really stupid shit, visuals that are supposed to wow me but didn't zzzz but the whole corporate drone racing bit into fun future bike racing was kinda cool. Can't be worse than pod racing.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 04:06:54 PM

I really feel like I read a different book than some of you.

A pity.
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 04:13:00 PM

It's possible you like garbage, Soulflame.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 04:36:43 PM

The main problem I had with the book was the deux ex machina... that and the 'world' was so shallow as it not even exist.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 04:48:10 PM

I swear the author was under contract to make as many 80's references a page as possible. WE FUCKING GET IT.

Airport novel.

I actually enjoyed the first Space Marine novel..:P~~

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 05:59:47 PM

No matter the source material, Spielberg will make a marvellous, entertaining movie that ultimately falls flat, leaves you cold, and disappoints you as a sci-fi fan, yearning again for what could have been, had Denis Villeneuve, Neil Blomkamp, Rian Johnson or even Duncan Jones directed it.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 06:13:27 PM

I thought the book was good fun, but obviously nothing serious. It felt like an American version of a Japanese Light Novel, and I'm ok with that.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: July 24, 2017, 06:28:32 PM

No matter the source material, Spielberg will make a marvellous, entertaining movie that ultimately falls flat, leaves you cold, and disappoints you as a sci-fi fan, yearning again for what could have been, had Denis Villeneuve, Neil Blomkamp, Rian Johnson or even Duncan Jones directed it.

Quick aside, Neil Blomkamp produces garbage and clearly got lucky with District 9 and even that was 2 hours of someone preaching at me.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #30 on: July 24, 2017, 07:02:13 PM

Quick aside, Neil Blomkamp produces garbage and clearly got lucky with District 9 and even that was 2 hours of someone preaching at me.

Elysium might be the worst movie I've seen in years. I'm not sure but I think it was.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 24, 2017, 08:43:02 PM

It's possible you like garbage, Soulflame.

Or maybe I found it an enjoyable read, but nothing more than that.

Eh.  I'd think of all audiences, it would resonate with the one here quite well.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 24, 2017, 09:00:57 PM

People here hate everything.

(I have not read the book and don't plan on it any time soon.)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #33 on: July 24, 2017, 09:02:52 PM

Too much War Games, not enough Real Genius.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #34 on: July 24, 2017, 09:45:29 PM

I enjoyed the book as pulp. They don't write great SciFi at nearly a fast enough rate to keep me in reading material. So I read a lot of pulp, and as pulp this wasn't terrible. Not worth re-reading, and I don't feel any burning need to see the movie, but I'm not going to hate on it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ready Player One  
Jump to: