Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2017, 08:48:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ready Player One 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ready Player One  (Read 806 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: July 25, 2017, 09:14:27 AM

They don't write great SciFi at nearly a fast enough rate to keep me in reading material.

You must read a lot of total fucking garbage.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you and other troops you control.

Reply #36 on: July 25, 2017, 10:28:44 AM

Eh.  I'd think of all audiences, it would resonate with the one here quite well.

You'd think but instead of being right up my alley, it was actually almost insultingly pandering. Like, I might have loved it at 14 but as an adult, it just felt juvenile. Without the pop culture references, I don't think there's anything that rises above Choose Your Own Adventure level plotting. This feels like Scott Pilgrim vs. the World if that movie had not been directed by Edgar Wright but instead by some no-talent hack like McG or Zak Snyder.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 25, 2017, 10:54:35 AM

I agree with Mahrin.  There's not really a lot of good sci-fi or fantasy available, so I read what I can get.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 25, 2017, 03:07:39 PM

They don't write great SciFi at nearly a fast enough rate to keep me in reading material.

You must read a lot of total fucking garbage.
Yes. I can read a full novel in a day, less if I really have nothing else to do, more than 100 a year without even really trying. Maybe 6-8 really good SciFi writers right now, putting out maybe a book a year, each, and I have never been able to maintain interest in other genres. And I read the back catalog of everything marginally worthwhile before I was 18. Re-reading most of it is pointless, as I remember all of it (maybe I get halfway through the first chapter before the memory dredge kicks in and I have all the rest at my mental fngertips).

So I read a *lot* of total fucking garbage. RP1 isn't terrible, it just isn't very good. Decent pulp, but other than putting together tropes in a comparatively novel pattern, nothing really creative, either.

--Dave
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:42:10 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Jello Biafra: "If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 25, 2017, 08:43:41 PM

Yeah, it's not terrible or anything. Just, smug and a bit tedious and not especially self-aware about the story it's telling.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #40 on: July 27, 2017, 11:53:13 AM

The book was written for 10-15 year old kids.  If nothing else is has kids asking about Gary Gygax, so it can't be all bad. :)

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 27, 2017, 03:07:05 PM

I disagree it was written for ~40 year olds with 10-15 year old reading levels.

It was obvious and pandering throughout but that being said I enjoyed it on a purely nostalgic level.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ready Player One  
Jump to: