Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:18:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Pacific Rim 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pacific Rim 2  (Read 18563 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 25, 2017, 09:16:00 PM

Well, tanks are always male, so...

Hic sunt dracones.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 25, 2017, 11:07:47 PM

For those interested in robot humping

I thought first movie was totally fine, just suffered most from no-name actors (maybe needed a couple who were better actors for some things), and was basically what I'd wanted in a kaiju movie. I was disappointed with how dark the palette was, but other than that it was fine popcorn mech'ing. Excited for #2

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 26, 2017, 07:40:20 AM

(maybe needed a couple who were better actors for some things)

Like actually having Australian characters and then employing non-Australians to play them, terrible accents and all. Not that Hollywood is fucking littered with Australians or anything.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #38 on: July 26, 2017, 08:40:10 AM

Sure it is, the Hemsworths are the new Baldwins.  One of them has to be available.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 06, 2017, 11:34:44 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EhiLLOhVis&t=0s

Official Trailer #1. Less Mobile Suit Gundam, more Mobile Fighter G Gundam  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 06, 2017, 11:49:50 AM

Coming from someone who like the grungy last stand aesthetic of the first film. This going all anime for children and white people may be awesome. Or a bright colorful mess...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #41 on: October 06, 2017, 12:08:52 PM

I'm down.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 06, 2017, 07:24:22 PM

I didn't even know that this is what I wanted them to do with this movie.  The trailer had me grinning so hard my face hurts right now.  Woot!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #43 on: October 07, 2017, 11:31:03 AM

I'm down.

Though I do shed a single perfect tear that they didn't do 'Atlantic Rim' as the sequel.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 07, 2017, 12:24:15 PM

"Atlantic Rim" is a thing already

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2740710/

It was a direct-to-video cash-in with CGI that looks like is was done in a high school animation class.

From the same folks that brought you "Independents Day"   awesome, for real

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 07, 2017, 12:36:19 PM

Independents sounds like a Pauly Shore movie where the kids bail on the parents or get kicked out and totally fuck up living on their own.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 07, 2017, 03:02:54 PM

There was also a Transmorphers.

I am the .00000001428%
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 07, 2017, 09:20:46 PM

They also did that glowing example of the cinematic art: Titanic 2.

Other examples that I saw on Syfy are "AVH: Alien vs. Hunter" "The Day the Earth Stopped" "The Terminators" "Paranormal Entity" "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes" which, to be honest, actually wasn't too bad in a sci-fi Sherlock kinda way.

Hic sunt dracones.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #48 on: October 08, 2017, 03:11:06 AM

Boyega gets to use his real accent. The fights are in the daytime.  Lots of giant robot melee weapons. Opening day yo.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #49 on: October 09, 2017, 03:19:43 AM

Fights in the day and amping-up the action made it feel like a Power Rangers movie. There should be a bit of a mix.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 09, 2017, 08:24:56 AM

Eh, no point in redoing the first movie over again.  May as well take the concept and ramp it right into high budget power rangers and have fun with it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 24, 2018, 09:15:09 AM

So, this is out.  I wouldn't have known if I hadn't seen adds for it when the first one was on TV Thursday night.

Reviews are ... not kind.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 24, 2018, 09:19:57 AM

Well this was shit moving along
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 24, 2018, 08:17:03 PM

I thought it was fun in a cheesy Godzilla Final Wars kind of way.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 25, 2018, 08:49:53 AM

The takeaway seems to be that if you want to see robots punching monsters, you're gonna have a decent or better time.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 25, 2018, 09:16:52 AM

It didn’t hit the deep artistic depth of the original?  Man.....  cry

-Stephen Colbert
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 25, 2018, 09:46:37 AM

I think a fair criticism is that they are less mechwarrior physics and more gundam physics in this one which I dislike in live action.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 25, 2018, 06:08:21 PM

I really don't mind them going more Gundam, since the first one was basically a live-action anime.

To people who disliked this one, did you like the first one?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 25, 2018, 06:35:48 PM

The takeaway seems to be that if you want to see robots punching monsters, you're gonna have a decent or better time.

I wanted to see a movie where giant robots fight giant monsters (and sometimes other giant robots) and that's what I got.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 25, 2018, 11:30:37 PM

This is my question as well.  My oldest son and I went it to the first one and thought it was an awesome giant robots punching giant monsters movie.  Will this not scratch this same itch?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 26, 2018, 12:55:42 AM

This is my question as well.  My oldest son and I went it to the first one and thought it was an awesome giant robots punching giant monsters movie.  Will this not scratch this same itch?

Depends

Do you like transformers for being mostly giant robots fighting giant robots and giant robot dragons?

OR

Do you like the pacific rim 1 for giving you a setting, atmosphere and a general plot that ties the punching monster plot together?

Those who watch anime there is a big differences in the Giant Robot punches stuff genre. Super Robots vs Real Robots. Generally people in the West think that all giant robots are Super Robots, i.e campy romps about magically giant hunks of machinery being shiny and punching the bad guys in the face. Light hearted, mostly family friendly affairs. Think Power Rangers, Voltron, and Transformers etc. The Real Robots genre focuses on making these giant robots a tool of war. Darker tone, less family friendly themes, and a darker atmosphere. The closest we've gotten to that (in the west) is ironically enough the Transformers Movie in the 80s.

Anime fans are not as divided over super robot vs real robot, but we do have our preferences. So when I think Gundam, I have my preferences in the feel and atmosphere established in the U.C (universal century, check out Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team) timeline while most of you may think of Gundam is something like Wing, which is definitely a hybrid between the super robot/real robot dynamic but leans heavily on the real robot tropes to drive plot, verse the later entries like Destiny, Seed, 00, which are clearly super robot shows that desperately want to be real robot shows. Something like the michael bay transformers films while I think at first he really did wanted to make something more in line tone wise with the 80s movie.... he also found its easier and way more profitable to make this into a super robot cash cow.

So for people who generally rating this Pacific Rim 2 lower than Pacific Rim 1, its a matter of a tonal shift and also dip in quality between the two movies. You saw real effort to bring this world, its robots, the way they fight and move and how they fit in this world to life. While in Pacific Rim 2 its go go Power RANGERS YOU MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGES OH!!!  swamp poop Which would be almost fine..... if it was not Pacific Rim. There are shots in this movie that more in common with a Michael Bay Transformers movie than something in the hands of Del Toro. So basically the people who do like it don't mind it going for the super robot aesthetic while everyone else either thinks giants robots are dumb and didn't watch it, or wanted something in the real robot category of giant mecha media and got the power rangers directed by Bay.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:57:38 AM by MediumHigh »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: March 26, 2018, 05:08:52 AM

The 08th MS team is peak Gundam.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 26, 2018, 08:07:08 AM

No love for Iron-Blooded Orphans?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 26, 2018, 08:32:39 AM

They dropped the ball with the artstyle chasing the flavor of the month anime look so it puts me off a bit.  Thunderbolt is the sweet spot when it comes to art style.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 26, 2018, 09:33:17 AM

I enjoyed Orphans for going with a darker story  but I have to agree 8th MS is the best Gundam (even though War in a Pocket is the one that feels the most nostalgic for me)
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 26, 2018, 10:52:59 AM

Hit or miss for me. The first season I could sit through but the second season...I just couldn't. The show wants to tell a big political plot and like Wing before it, its not that good at it. And that would be ok if that wasn't 60% of the story. I could ramble on, but this isn't the worst thing to happen to anime but at the time there was better things to watch.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 26, 2018, 02:52:22 PM

I wanted to see a movie where giant robots fight giant monsters (and sometimes other giant robots) and that's what I got.

This.  I enjoyed it more than the first movie.  I got exactly what I was expecting to get.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 27, 2018, 02:42:10 AM

I suppose the difference could be classed is "Do the Giant Robits feel like they have Weight and Mass, or are they like 15 year old Gymnasts tossing balloons around?" Becasue for the most part it was the former in Pacific Rim. Havent see the second yet so dunno, but not feeling the vibe.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 27, 2018, 04:18:36 PM

I suppose the difference could be classed is "Do the Giant Robits feel like they have Weight and Mass, or are they like 15 year old Gymnasts tossing balloons around?" Becasue for the most part it was the former in Pacific Rim. Havent see the second yet so dunno, but not feeling the vibe.

One of the mechs was more agile than the others but it was pointed out early on that being more agile was it's thing.  The other ones moved pretty much the same way as the mechs form the first movie.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 27, 2018, 06:28:00 PM

One of the mechs was more agile than the others but it was pointed out early on that being more agile was it's thing.  The other ones moved pretty much the same way as the mechs form the first movie.

awesome, for real
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Pacific Rim 2  
Jump to: