Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 07:01:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Bright 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bright  (Read 606 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

on: July 20, 2017, 07:33:02 PM

Will Smith does a cop-drama that is basically Shadowrun but minus the cyberpunk bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko

I dunno what the hell to think. Points for originality as far as making an actual high-budget show I guess?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 08:00:12 PM

Is this going to be a series or a movie?

Either way, I have the strangest boner right now...

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 08:07:57 PM

A movie I think. I thought it was a series at first.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 08:29:24 PM

oh man

this

this right hyea
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 11:23:19 PM

I could be, and probably will be, shit.  But I will watch the shit out of this.

I also really like the music near the middle of the trailer.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Teleku
Terracotta Army

http://tinyurl.com/d89qk7g

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 11:38:44 PM

Wow, somebody played the new Shadowrun games and managed to convince Netflix to give them money.  Like, some of the the peoples face/hair combo in this trailer where spot on copies of character portraits from the games.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 12:28:16 AM

Ok yeah, will watch
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 01:03:42 AM

As if I needed a reason to have a netflix subscription, but this will do.  That said, if you want something in the mean time that's very cyberpunky, look up Ares on netflix, it was an interesting watch.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 05:49:00 AM

Yeah sorry, thought this was a series at first. I'm interested. This is about the only way you could do something like Shadowrun really- the actual IP just has too much background junk to explain.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 06:07:38 AM

Will Smith has had a pretty good track record throughout this Willennium. There's nothing about Smith's last dozen or so movies that would give me any cause to doubt this.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 08:23:06 AM

That looks pretty cool, actually.  

ETA - can't be Shadowrun, they set it in LA instead of Seattle.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 10:09:40 AM

Also, no dystopian cyberpunk society.  But still, like, there is no way this wasn't inspired in some part by the latest games.  They are leaning on the same art style heavily.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 10:28:51 AM

Yeah the main elf looking guy is straight up one of the character portraits from the new shadowgun games.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 10:36:14 AM

Also, no dystopian cyberpunk society.  But still, like, there is no way this wasn't inspired in some part by the latest games.  They are leaning on the same art style heavily.
This not being dystopian makes it instantly better than every other cyberpunk thing. Just on its face, assuming every future is a bleak corporate fuckhole has gotten stale as hell.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 11:48:47 AM

Yeah, I'm totally cool with them doing it in the normal world.  I always thought the awakening off magic/mythical races into modern society, and how that changed things, was the most interesting part of Shadowrun lore.  Not the generic cyberpunk shit.

-Stephen Colbert
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 01:30:43 PM

Yeah the main elf looking guy is straight up one of the character portraits from the new shadowgun games.

Yup very strong modern day shadowrun vibe instead of near future shadowrun.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 01:49:50 PM

This basically looks like a hybrid of Shadowrun and Alien Nation with the grimdark turned down and the "comedy" turned up.

Also, assuming every future is a bleak corporate fuckhole has only gotten stale because it's not the future any more and we don't need to assume =P
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you and other troops you control.

Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 11:44:07 PM

Yep, I'm down for some of this.

Funny that it's by the guy who directed Suicide Squad and we basically have Cop Deadshot, Elf Harley Quinn and Killer Croc the Ork as main characters.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 09:58:03 AM

Yeah, I'm totally cool with them doing it in the normal world.  I always thought the awakening off magic/mythical races into modern society, and how that changed things, was the most interesting part of Shadowrun lore.  Not the generic cyberpunk shit.
the real issue with adapting Shadowrun today would be all of the problematic representations of the Japanese and Native Americans and the like that sprung from where the setting came from.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Bright  
Jump to: