Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:39:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Bright 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bright  (Read 23744 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

on: July 20, 2017, 05:33:02 PM

Will Smith does a cop-drama that is basically Shadowrun but minus the cyberpunk bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko

I dunno what the hell to think. Points for originality as far as making an actual high-budget show I guess?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 06:00:12 PM

Is this going to be a series or a movie?

Either way, I have the strangest boner right now...

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 06:07:57 PM

A movie I think. I thought it was a series at first.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 06:29:24 PM

oh man

this

this right hyea
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 09:23:19 PM

I could be, and probably will be, shit.  But I will watch the shit out of this.

I also really like the music near the middle of the trailer.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:38:44 PM

Wow, somebody played the new Shadowrun games and managed to convince Netflix to give them money.  Like, some of the the peoples face/hair combo in this trailer where spot on copies of character portraits from the games.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 10:28:16 PM

Ok yeah, will watch
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 11:03:42 PM

As if I needed a reason to have a netflix subscription, but this will do.  That said, if you want something in the mean time that's very cyberpunky, look up Ares on netflix, it was an interesting watch.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 03:49:00 AM

Yeah sorry, thought this was a series at first. I'm interested. This is about the only way you could do something like Shadowrun really- the actual IP just has too much background junk to explain.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 04:07:38 AM

Will Smith has had a pretty good track record throughout this Willennium. There's nothing about Smith's last dozen or so movies that would give me any cause to doubt this.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 06:23:06 AM

That looks pretty cool, actually.  

ETA - can't be Shadowrun, they set it in LA instead of Seattle.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 08:09:40 AM

Also, no dystopian cyberpunk society.  But still, like, there is no way this wasn't inspired in some part by the latest games.  They are leaning on the same art style heavily.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 08:28:51 AM

Yeah the main elf looking guy is straight up one of the character portraits from the new shadowgun games.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 08:36:14 AM

Also, no dystopian cyberpunk society.  But still, like, there is no way this wasn't inspired in some part by the latest games.  They are leaning on the same art style heavily.
This not being dystopian makes it instantly better than every other cyberpunk thing. Just on its face, assuming every future is a bleak corporate fuckhole has gotten stale as hell.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 09:48:47 AM

Yeah, I'm totally cool with them doing it in the normal world.  I always thought the awakening off magic/mythical races into modern society, and how that changed things, was the most interesting part of Shadowrun lore.  Not the generic cyberpunk shit.

-Stephen Colbert
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 11:30:43 AM

Yeah the main elf looking guy is straight up one of the character portraits from the new shadowgun games.

Yup very strong modern day shadowrun vibe instead of near future shadowrun.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 11:49:50 AM

This basically looks like a hybrid of Shadowrun and Alien Nation with the grimdark turned down and the "comedy" turned up.

Also, assuming every future is a bleak corporate fuckhole has only gotten stale because it's not the future any more and we don't need to assume =P
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 09:44:07 PM

Yep, I'm down for some of this.

Funny that it's by the guy who directed Suicide Squad and we basically have Cop Deadshot, Elf Harley Quinn and Killer Croc the Ork as main characters.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 07:58:03 AM

Yeah, I'm totally cool with them doing it in the normal world.  I always thought the awakening off magic/mythical races into modern society, and how that changed things, was the most interesting part of Shadowrun lore.  Not the generic cyberpunk shit.
the real issue with adapting Shadowrun today would be all of the problematic representations of the Japanese and Native Americans and the like that sprung from where the setting came from.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 02:35:45 AM

Out on Netflix tomorrow. Rotten Tomatoes isn't receiving it well.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 07:15:30 AM

Out on Netflix tomorrow. Rotten Tomatoes isn't receiving it well.
A lot of bad reviews, actually.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 11:04:30 AM

Boo

I guess everything fantasy still sucks ass
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 21, 2017, 04:14:16 PM

I will still watch it and judge for myself. I'm hoping the critics are just calling the movie stupid because they can't wrap their heads around the whole fantasy+modern RL aspect.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 11:16:16 PM

This looks like a take on the Bordertown books, the most famous of which was Emma Bull’s “Finder”. I loved those books. I’ll watch this even if it sucks.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 22, 2017, 10:35:16 AM

And watched. Yeah, critics either didn't get their pay-cut, or they lacked in having an imagination that would let them infer what was going on.

There's no build-up or 10-minute prologue that explains shit. The film hits the ground running as-is and the backstory is lightly filled-in as the plot unfolds. The action was decent, Smith and Edgerton carried a shit-ton of the film on their backs, and for Netflix's attempt to have a Hollywood-style blockbuster direct-to-streaming? They could have done better, sure, but they could have done a lot worse. The lore is ripe for sequels/spin-offs, which apparently Netflix is already green-lighting.

7/10

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #25 on: December 22, 2017, 06:17:08 PM

Watched it.

It's a buddy-cop movie done in the same kinda cheap look that most Netflix shit has. It was watchable and that's about it. Interesting setting if they'd just lean into it more.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #26 on: December 22, 2017, 06:20:23 PM

A decent buddy cop film, if a bit slow at times. Wife and I enjoyed it.
7/10 seems right to us.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 10:06:40 PM

I liked it a lot, was fun and compelling the entire time. It's not going to change the world or anything, but its well acted and well made with a fun little premise.

If you like Will Smith making wise cracks and shooting bad guys, you'll probably enjoy this.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #28 on: December 23, 2017, 10:10:01 AM

I unironically wouldn't mind seeing more of the world really since they greenlit another movie. This would definitely be better as a show honestly.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 10:56:41 AM

I really enjoyed it and would love to see more.  Perhaps something with the Centaur Cop we got a glimpse of.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 23, 2017, 12:20:05 PM

Saw this yesterday and it was fairly decent.  Not great, but not nearly as bad as critics seems to think.  Kind of reminds me a bit of the Shadowrun series with the whole world of magic and mythological races in a modern day setting.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 23, 2017, 08:15:01 PM

I liked it kinda didnt want it to end. Needs to be a tv series.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 24, 2017, 08:08:15 AM

Needs to be a tv series.

This, fuck the critics this was entertaining and I want more. Apparently a sequel is already green lit.

I am the .00000001428%
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #33 on: December 24, 2017, 08:46:48 AM

I thought it was good, too, and it really does feel like something that would make a fun series. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #34 on: December 24, 2017, 10:08:46 AM

I enjoyed this, it took itself seriously on the premise, and made it work. "Training Day" meets Tolkien.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Bright  
Jump to: